Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 1 Mock Draft Track Guy

Alright friends. Let's get the first one out of the way. It's way early so this is a very inexact process at this point, as even the night before the draft it's still basically a mystery!

R1 - D.J. Smoot, Edge, Illinois: Athletic edge rusher with good burst. 8 sacks and 15 TFL last season. Working under Lovie Smith this season. Listed at 6-3/255. 

R2 - Wayne Gallman, RB, Clemson: Good all around running back who brings extra ability in the passing game as a receiver and especially as a blocker. 1740 yards from scrimmage for Clemson in 2015. Listed at 6'0"/210.

R3 - Julien Davenport, OL, Bucknell: Highly athletic tackle who has been playing against somewhat lesser competition. Listed at 6-7/315. 

R4 - Nick DeLuca, LB, North Dakota St.: Under the radar ILB 3-4 candidate from a smaller school (same place we picked up Joe Haeg from). In 2015 10 TFL, 3 sacks, 2 INT, 6 PBU, 2 fumbles forced. Listed at 6'3"/237.

R4 - Kemoko Turay, Edge, Rutgers: An underproductive, athletically gifted edge rusher. Project player at this point. Listed at 6-5/241. 

R5 - Tim Harris, CB, Virginia: A long, lanky defensive back for the Cavilers. Listed at 6-2/205. 

R6 - Evan Baylis, TE, Oregon: A good blocking tight end who has some ability to catch. Listed at 6-6/244.

Hopefully we're picking at 32!

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

That's the highest I've seen Smoot go. I'm assuming you expect his stock to rise?

I believe the NFL draft advisory board gave him a 2nd round grade last year - but if he makes even a small improvement this year I think he will be a round 1 pick yeah. He comes off as quite athletic on tape, very good initial quickness. 

5 minutes ago, Track Guy said:

I believe the NFL draft advisory board gave him a 2nd round grade last year - but if he makes even a small improvement this year I think he will be a round 1 pick yeah. He comes off as quite athletic on tape, very good initial quickness. 

I'll have to keep an eye on him then. Plus watch some tape.

4 hours ago, SP_21 said:

We definitely need a CB earlier than round 5. 

Anybody know anything about the LB/DE Walker from FSU? Kid went off last night. 

Walker wouldn't fit as a 3-4 OLB. He's a 4-3 type of guy. 

We can always just sign a CB in free agency. We need to invest our picks in improving our pass rush and running game IMO.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I confess I'm surprised to see another O-tackle at the 3rd round.

We have our left tackle,  and Clark is our RT of the future.     

I don't want to spend two of our first three picks on offense.       We need defense,  defense,  and more defense!

Yeah, I don't pick strictly based on position. I think we may be able to get away with not using a pick on the O-line, but I don't think our O-line has proven itself so good that I feel bad about mocking them a day 2 pick. I think our top 2 priorities should be getting a pass rush and getting our running game going. If we can improve in those 2 areas we will be instant super bowl contenders.

One thing I left out of my original post....

My thanks to Track Guy for not only starting a thread focusing on the draft,  but for also putting names to the positions.      There's going to be more disagreement than agreement when it comes to names.     But hopefully we can agree on general needs.

For me,   I hope the Colts spend most of their premium picks in the next three drafts on defense.     Super Bowl 60,   Denver and Carolina was played by teams with the 1st and 2nd best defenses in the NFL.      I appreciate that we live in a world where the rules favor the offense,   but you can win with defense,  and ours is both old,  and poor.       We need defense.     Lots and lots and lots of it.      More than one draft of defense will be needed.

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

One thing I left out of my original post....

My thanks to Track Guy for not only starting a thread focusing on the draft,  but for also putting names to the positions.      There's going to be more disagreement than agreement when it comes to names.     But hopefully we can agree on general needs.

For me,   I hope the Colts spend most of their premium picks in the next three drafts on defense.     Super Bowl 60,   Denver and Carolina was played by teams with the 1st and 2nd best defenses in the NFL.      I appreciate that we live in a world where the rules favor the offense,   but you can win with defense,  and ours is both old,  and poor.       We need defense.     Lots and lots and lots of it.      More than one draft of defense will be needed.

Agree with every bit of this. I realize, and I think most would agree, that RB is a major need in the next draft. I'd love to get a guy like Fournette, Cook, Chubb, Freeman, as much as the next guy. But really, I think we're going to need to go Edge/CB in any order for rounds 1/2 no matter what. It's supposed to be a good draft for both positions, and those two spots are in dire need of young talent. Spend a 3rd on a RB and use the rest to fill out depth spots on the defense.

On September 7, 2016 at 1:29 PM, BCoop said:

Agree with every bit of this. I realize, and I think most would agree, that RB is a major need in the next draft. I'd love to get a guy like Fournette, Cook, Chubb, Freeman, as much as the next guy. But really, I think we're going to need to go Edge/CB in any order for rounds 1/2 no matter what. It's supposed to be a good draft for both positions, and those two spots are in dire need of young talent. Spend a 3rd on a RB and use the rest to fill out depth spots on the defense.

Too many needs man. I'd love to go OLB rounds 1 and 2. Or OLB and then CB. Even OLB, RB. It's just hard because there's too many needs and only so many high round picks. Let's hope some guys fall though. Fleener should get us an extra 4th so we need to hit in rounds 3-4. I think it's best to go OLB round 1, RB round 2, and maybe CB round 3.

4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Too many needs man. I'd love to go OLB rounds 1 and 2. Or OLB and then CB. Even OLB, RB. It's just hard because there's too many needs and only so many high round picks. Let's hope some guys fall though. Fleener should get us an extra 4th so we need to hit in rounds 3-4. I think it's best to go OLB round 1, RB round 2, and maybe CB round 3.

Agreed. I guess the one upside to having such a terrible 2013 draft is that we'll have all kinds of cap room next offseason. If we can't lock down a stud at one of the 3 primary needs (RB, CB, OLB), then we should be able to find a difference maker in FA. I think the last number I saw was 50-60 million with no real priorities outside maybe extending Moncrief.

5 minutes ago, BCoop said:

Agreed. I guess the one upside to having such a terrible 2013 draft is that we'll have all kinds of cap room next offseason. If we can't lock down a stud at one of the 3 primary needs (RB, CB, OLB), then we should be able to find a difference maker in FA. I think the last number I saw was 50-60 million with no real priorities outside maybe extending Moncrief.

i dont think stud free agent running backs are really a thing anymore.  we will have to draft at least one.  the same goes for pass rushers, though sometimes corners do become available for high prices

• 2 weeks later...
On September 8, 2016 at 8:17 PM, aaron11 said:

i dont think stud free agent running backs are really a thing anymore.  we will have to draft at least one.  the same goes for pass rushers, though sometimes corners do become available for high prices

5 of the top 12 leading rushers last season were free agents.  I would go after Knile Davis, he seems to be in the doghouse in KC.