Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Unbelivable Stupidity By The NFLPA & Players

King Colt

Watching Mike & Mike this morning they were on a story about Lane Johnson of the Eagles facing a ten game suspension for a using a "banned" supplement. Now get this: The NFLPA has an APP that allows the user to view the label on the supplement bottles to determine whether or not it is on the banned list. Here's the stupidity of this, what is actually contained in the supplement is not necessarily what may actually appear on the label! So you take the supplement  then get smacked for doing so because despite what the label says some of the ingredients or maybe only one of the ingredients in the supplement are banned by the NFL. So what is the thinking to develop an APP that is useless? Second, if you are a player and know the APP does not do the job why are you taking it risking a suspension? Aren't the staff on the NLA supposed to be fairly intelligent? There is no governing body regulating what goes in to these supplements and keep that in mind the next time you are in Walgreens or health store.

20 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Watching Mike & Mike this morning they were on a story about Lane Johnson of the Eagles facing a ten game suspension for a using a "banned" supplement. Now get this: The NFLPA has an APP that allows the user to view the label on the supplement bottles to determine whether or not it is on the banned list. Here's the stupidity of this, what is actually contained in the supplement is not necessarily what may actually appear on the label! So you take the supplement  then get smacked for doing so because despite what the label says some of the ingredients or maybe only one of the ingredients in the supplement are banned by the NFL. So what is the thinking to develop an APP that is useless? Second, if you are a player and know the APP does not do the job why are you taking it risking a suspension? Aren't the staff on the NLA supposed to be fairly intelligent? There is no governing body regulating what goes in to these supplements and keep that in mind the next time you are in Walgreens or health store.

The fda is the governing body on what can be put in supplements sold on shelves in stores

Do you think a supplement maker is going to monitor what is legal/illegal in NFL circles and then recall all of their stock when something they put in their supplements now pops up as illegal in the NFL?

If these sports leagues were really serious about PEDs they would sponsor or collaborate with these supplement makers to list specific supplements by brand that are legal and safe.  Just listing substances isn't enough.  We know with an ever changing list that these things will happen.

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

If there is something, provable, that is in the supplement and is not on the label in some form or another (Raw name vs popular name), then it is a lawsuit waiting to happen.  I doubt it is like you say it is.

2 hours ago, Narcosys said:

If there is something, provable, that is in the supplement and is not on the label in some form or another (Raw name vs popular name), then it is a lawsuit waiting to happen.  I doubt it is like you say it is.

When a supplement is not FDA approved there is no regulation. When a person takes anything that is not FDA regulated it is at their own risk. I am sure you are correct in assuming some lawyer will try to make a buck or two off of any lawsuit that cant be had for sure. If and when that happens the FDA or the NFL wont be involved because it is stated any supplements used have to listed and FDA approved. So that puts them in the clear.

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

The fda is the governing body on what can be put in supplements sold on shelves in stores

Not on the ones that are on the selves that are not regulated. From what I understand they are not regulated and by law (or lack of) there is nothing illegal about it because it is not regulated. I don't understand why a player who wants to take supplements don't find a reputable doctor or dietician who knows this stuff. It's really common sense when your livelihood and big money is on the line.

3 hours ago, Narcosys said:

Regarding supplements, it is pretty much like the OP says.  The FDA does not regulate suppliments and there have been several studies showing that many suppliments do not contain what is on the label, either missing ingredients or the amounts of the ingredients are incorrect.  Also, I believe that the AG of New York is suing some of the suppliment companies.

10 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Wrong! FDA has nothing to do with these go check your own bottle of supplements and look for the "FDA" on any of them.

9 hours ago, Narcosys said:

Well first it is not what I said rather what Mike Golic and Mike Green.

Labeling is the U.S. is a fraud. The law does not require manufacture to be 100% on the up and up and never has. Americans are too glued to comfort foods to give a hoot. There is a documentary titled "Food Inc.'" that deals with the side stepping corporate food giants are engaged today. When is the last time you bought grass fed beef? Corn is even being fed to fish!! Bottom line is what is on the box or bottle is not what your are ingesting Makes one wonder what the pharmaceutical giants are doing in their labs.

12 hours ago, Narcosys said:

The whole supplement market is a racket to a large degree.  Just check out this article-

https://healthyfoodusa.com/fda-finds-majority-of-herbal-supplements-at-gnc-walmart-walgreens-and-target-dont-contain-what-they-claim-instead-cheap-fillers-like-wheat-and-soy-powder/

I think the most that came of this was the NY attorney general sending cease and desist letters to GNC, Target, Walgreens, and Wal-Mart to get them off the shelves.  Then a few months later, GNC gets hit with a lawsuit that supplements contain not only banned in the NFL substances, but banned in the U.S.A.  ingredients for everyone - and- it's not listed on the label!

http://money.cnn.com/2015/10/22/news/companies/oregon-ag-lawsuit-gnc/

It's a known fact that if you take supplements, you may not only be deprived of the item sought, but also getting wasteful fillers or worse instead.

NFL policy says that every player must know what he takes , and if not sure consult his team or personal physician for approval.

Now GNC is trying to 'get clean' themselves again.

http://www.gnc.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=4032634

But still won't guarantee products passes the WADA or NFL muster.

11 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

The whole supplement market is a racket to a large degree.  Just check out this article-

https://healthyfoodusa.com/fda-finds-majority-of-herbal-supplements-at-gnc-walmart-walgreens-and-target-dont-contain-what-they-claim-instead-cheap-fillers-like-wheat-and-soy-powder/

I think the most that came of this was the NY attorney general sending cease and desist letters to GNC, Target, Walgreens, and Wal-Mart to get them off the shelves.  Then a few months later, GNC gets hit with a lawsuit that supplements contain not only banned in the NFL substances, but banned in the U.S.A.  ingredients for everyone - and- it's not listed on the label!

http://money.cnn.com/2015/10/22/news/companies/oregon-ag-lawsuit-gnc/

It's a known fact that if you take supplements, you may not only be deprived of the item sought, but also getting wasteful fillers or worse instead.

NFL policy says that every player must know what he takes , and if not sure consult his team or personal physician for approval.

Now GNC is trying to 'get clean' themselves again.

http://www.gnc.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=4032634

But still won't guarantee products passes the WADA or NFL muster.

Interesting. And like I said,  lawsuits just waiting to happen. 

21 hours ago, King Colt said:

Labeling is the U.S. is a fraud. The law does not require manufacture to be 100% on the up and up and never has. Americans are too glued to comfort foods to give a hoot. There is a documentary titled "Food Inc.'" that deals with the side stepping corporate food giants are engaged today. When is the last time you bought grass fed beef? Corn is even being fed to fish!! Bottom line is what is on the box or bottle is not what your are ingesting Makes one wonder what the pharmaceutical giants are doing in their labs.

So my box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch isn't really full of whole grain goodness? Damnit.