Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsays Surprise Hire As Head Coach Is....

unitaswestand

Since Irsay says we will have a coach soon and there will be some surprises over the next few weeks, I am curious who you think the HC will be after that is said. I know Tressel is getting a lot of press in that area. But my darkhorse pick is Jon Gruden.

1) He is very good with the West Coast offense, which is pretty much what the Eagles have run under Reid. Grigson is already schooled in getting players for that type of team.

2) He is still considered a great developer of NFL QBs. Very enticing for Andrew Luck and very QB friendly for Peyton Manning.

3) He has never stopped his gushing of Peyton Manning.

4) He lives in Florida and that is where the Irsay jet has been rumored to have been.

I honestly think Gruden is a good HC. The problem with him, with many coaches, is that he started getting too much input in personnel. And he never had a real good QB at TB. But if he simply coached, he could be very good. He fits the profile.

That is my surprise pick. Curious who you all think the HC will be?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since Irsay says we will have a coach soon and there will be some surprises over the next few weeks, I am curious who you think the HC will be after that is said. I know Tressel is getting a lot of press in that area. But my darkhorse pick is Jon Gruden.

1) He is very good with the West Coast offense, which is pretty much what the Eagles have run under Reid. Grigson is already schooled in getting players for that type of team.

2) He is still considered a great developer of NFL QBs. Very enticing for Andrew Luck and very QB friendly for Peyton Manning.

3) He has never stopped his gushing of Peyton Manning.

4) He lives in Florida and that is where the Irsay jet has been rumored to have been.

I honestly think Gruden is a good HC. The problem with him, with many coaches, is that he started getting too much input in personnel. And he never had a real good QB at TB. But if he simply coached, he could be very good. He fits the profile.

That is my surprise pick. Curious who you all think the HC will be?

The only thing that makes me believe it is not Gruden is something that Irsay said in a recent press conference. Irsay said he wants a coach with the demeanor of never being too up or being too down. He said he liked that Caldwell was always the same tone every week.

Hey I love Gruden and if he is the guy then bring him on. But it doesn't add up to me.

I can agree with the rest, but this is news to me. If anything, Gruden was renowned for not having the patience to deal with young QBs, preferring to deal with veterans instead. He ran with Donald Hollas and Jeff George (both in their early 30s at the time) in Oakland before moving onto a 34 year old Rich Gannon (and left with Gannon still as the starter, at age 36.) He didn't develop Marques Tuiasosopo (I think I spelled it right) a lick, though he was only there in his first season.

Tampa Bay? Started with 34 year old Brad Johnson, ran with him until he was 36 and inserted a 29 year old Brian Griese. This was 2004, a year after he drafted Chris Simms in the 3rd. Started Simms and Gradkowski the next two seasons, neither impressed. Started Jeff Garcia, 37, the next. He ended with a combo of Garcia and a now 30 something Griese.

All in all, I don't think he developed any QB, though he certainly helped Gannon's career. What I see is a guy who has no patience for young QBs and has never properly developed one in his career. Who'd he develop? Steve Young in his one year with San Fran? Mike Holmgren has more claim to that. Not to mention I think Gruden was just quality control.

I saw that to. lol

"Still, Caldwell may get the job without a test drive. Tony Dungy of NBC’s Football Night In America said on Monday’s edition of The Dan Patrick Show that he believes owner Jim Irsay has a person in mind — and that Dungy is hearing the person may be Jim Tressel."

I think Dungy was just saying that he is hearing that Jim Tressel has a chance

Dungy also weighed in on the Colts’ coaching situation. He said owner Jim Irsay focuses on someone and goes with it. Dungy said he’s hearing what everyone else is hearing, that Jim Tressel has a chance to land the job.

I think Dungy was just saying that he is hearing that Jim Tressel has a chance

Correct everyone has a chance until the decision is made. I still feel personally it will be someone that nobody expected in the least. I also like surprises and can hardly wait to see what happens. :yay:

What would Zimmer have to gain?The D he is in charge of now is better than ours. Why would he make a lateral move?

Why did the Saints D coordinator make a lateral move? Sure he has a relationship with Fisher...but does it really make all that much sense? Obviously he felt he had a better offer and felt better overall going to the Rams instead of staying with the Saints.

Why did the Saints D coordinator make a lateral move? Sure he has a relationship with Fisher...but does it really make all that much sense? Obviously he felt he had a better offer and felt better overall going to the Rams instead of staying with the Saints.

His contract was also up I don't think zimmer's is.

Gruden is def in the mix i'm sure.... Why else would Irsay's plane be trekking back and forth to Tampa

Hiring Gruden assures that Peyton Manning is back and starts at QB next season..

AND that Andrew Luck is drafted to sit behind him..and take over in 3-4 years

That's the only way Gruden is gong to come out of retirement (on Easy Street) to get back in the NFL wars

Been flying more than just Tampa/Sarasota....been to Alabama and Georgia today. The thing that scares me more than anything is on the outside with all the firings, tweets, specualtion, who may or may not be here next season (player wise)....this looks like a mess right now. Would Andrew Luck pull a Elway/Manning? I hope we do not solidfy things those thoughts with a Jim Tressel hiring that comes out of left field that the overwhelming majority of NFL people/experts/analysts/media would be laughing at. Our new NFl coach is not something we should have to be sold on accepting.