Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

4 BOLD Predictions for Indianapolis Colts in 2011 season (Bleacher Report)

coltsuser21

This Article Was Posted By Bleacher Report

These Are There 4 Bold Predictions for The Colts:

-The Colts Will Have a 1,000 Yard Rusher

Why will it happen?

The Colts have fixed up their offensive line through the draft by selecting Anthony Castonzo and Benjamin Ijalana. The passing by Peyton Manning is going to have more defenders dropping back to play the pass. That should be able to open up the running game.

-Peyton Manning Will Throw for 5,000 Yards

Why will it happen?

Last season Peyton Manning threw the ball more than any other season with a ridiculous 679 pass attempts. So, of course he had the most passing yards of his career with 4,700. Last season almost every receiver on the team was hurt at some point. This year they are healthy and ready to go.

Also, if the first prediction does come true and the running game is more successful, that will only help open the passing game.

Peyton Manning got his huge contract, now he is out to prove that he hasn't lost a step. Adding another huge accomplishment to his Hall of Fame resume will silence all the critics.

-Pierre Garcon Will Have at Least 1,000 Receiving Yards

Why it will happen?

Pierre Garcon is one of the best young receivers in the league that nobody really knows about. He may be the number two option heading into the season but with Reggie Wayne looking like he lost a step, it's only a matter of time before that changes.

He caught 20 more balls than he did last season and you can expect that number to increase this year. This could be the season where Garcon makes a household name for himself.

-Dwight Freeney Will Have at Least 11 Sacks

Why it will happen?

Ever since 2002 when Dwight Freeney came into the league, nobody has had more sacks than him. In his nine year career, there have only been two seasons were he hasn't had double digit sacks.

His spin move is the best in the league and bull rush isn't bad either, and when he is healthy he is one of the best defensive ends in the entire NFL. You have to go with history here and expect Freeney to get at least 11 sacks, one more than last season.

(I would love for this to happen every single one of them but i think all will most likley happen except the manning for 5k yards)------------YOUR THOUGHTS??????

My link

I'd say sure to all but Manning for 5000. If we have a 1000 yard rusher, and Garcon is in for over 1000 as the #2, I have a hard time seeing Manning slinging it in the late 3rd/4th quarter of many games, and even the last 2 games of the season, once we lock the division...

1. Joseph Addai will rush for 1050 yards, Brown for 505 yards, Carter 176 yards, James 105 yards. Top 15 rushing attack.

2. Will not happen. Peyton throws for 4500 yards, 32 touchdowns

3. Will not happen. Garcon goes for 850 yards, Reggie goes for 1300 yards, and I think Collie gets more than Garcon, 950 yards.

4. It will happen. Freeney gets 12 sacks, Mathis gets 11.

Peyton better not be throwing the ball that much. History tells us, we run the ball..we win. So everything but that for sure could happen.

unless they are 80 yard TDs throws , lets save that arm and get the running going

I don't know how "bold" those predictions are, except the Garcon prediction. Garcon will not get 1000 yards receiving if the comment about Collie, Gonzo and Clark all being healthy comes true. Yes he caught 20 more balls last year than the year before but that only translated to 21 more yards. Also Manning rarely looked Garcon's way after the 1st half of the first game until Collie went done with the concussion. A healthy Collie means fewer looks to Garcon. Lastly a healthy Gonzo is a much better receiver than Garcon. Garcon has a nice 2nd gear, but Gonzo is a much better route runner and has much better hands.

I don't know how "bold" those predictions are, except the Garcon prediction. Garcon will not get 1000 yards receiving if the comment about Collie, Gonzo and Clark all being healthy comes true. Yes he caught 20 more balls last year than the year before but that only translated to 21 more yards. Also Manning rarely looked Garcon's way after the 1st half of the first game until Collie went done with the concussion. A healthy Collie means fewer looks to Garcon. Lastly a healthy Gonzo is a much better receiver than Garcon. Garcon has a nice 2nd gear, but Gonzo is a much better route runner and has much better hands.

Don't talk facts, you'll scare away the children! People are quick to forget how talented Gonzo is (even coming into last season, Peyton raved about him more than Collie). Hope he has a healthy season because he can make it happen.

I'd say sure to all but Manning for 5000. If we have a 1000 yard rusher, and Garcon is in for over 1000 as the #2, I have a hard time seeing Manning slinging it in the late 3rd/4th quarter of many games, and even the last 2 games of the season, once we lock the division...

Not necessarily....the Colts last 3 games are divisional games so to wrap up the division early they would have to sweep the Jags/Titans/Texans in their first meetings (a definite possibility but no guarantee) or the Colts would have to have a much higher success rate against non-divisional opponents. Otherwise the division (all divisions for that matter) may very well come down to the last week.

As for the predictions, I think each of them has a very good chance of coming true...especially considering the schedule.

As for the Manning for 5,000 yards and 1,000 yard rusher cancelling each other out...yeah they pretty much do. In 1984 when Marino went over 5,000, their leading rusher was Woody Bennett for 606 yards. In '08 when Brees went over 5,000, their leading rusher was Pierre Thomas for 625 yards. So, having a 5,000 yard passer and 1,000 yard rusher on the same team is HIGHLY unlikely. Unless Addai gets every single carry which will never happen.

Don't talk facts, you'll scare away the children! People are quick to forget how talented Gonzo is (even coming into last season, Peyton raved about him more than Collie). Hope he has a healthy season because he can make it happen.

One thing that many man people over look when talking about talent and ability of a WR, is there ability to block down field, Garcon is an excellent down field blocker after the play starts, and he is very strong for a reciever his size, I dont know how many db's this guy has planted with a stiff, and not to mention speed, he is the guy that ran ed reed down from behind to keep our playoff hopes alive. the guy is good, i easily place him above gonz in the pecking order.

One thing that many man people over look when talking about talent and ability of a WR, is there ability to block down field, Garcon is an excellent down field blocker after the play starts, and he is very strong for a reciever his size, I dont know how many db's this guy has planted with a stiff, and not to mention speed, he is the guy that ran ed reed down from behind to keep our playoff hopes alive. the guy is good, i easily place him above gonz in the pecking order.

This sir was a very accurate post. There is a great example in that Reggie Wayne highlight film floating on one of these topics where Blair + Pierre absolutely BLEW up the corners and Reggie took it 15 into the endzone. Very under appreciated aspect of a WR.

You guys covered it pretty well. My thinking is that Joe won't get 1000 yards because if we get ahead in the 4th they'll put in Carter to pound the ball. If we get behind, we'll be slinging it. Donald will also get in on probably every third series.

Just about every team in the league now uses RBBC or at least tries to keep their #1 fresh throughout the season. Makes it brutal for fantasy football!

Peyton getting 5000 and our RB getting 1000 kinda cancel each other out.

I was thinking the same thing. A strong running game means we don't need Peyton to throw 40 times each game; a weak running game will mean more pass attempts and more passing yards.

I'm also iffy on the Garcon one. The two I can see happening are the 1000 yard rusher and Freeney getting his sacks. I'm even iffy on the 1000 yard rusher, we will probably run another back-by-committee this year with Addai, Brown and Carter splitting the reps. They will probably get over 1000 combined, but I don't think any one of them will get 1000 on their own.

You are correct it is overlooked and Garcon is a good blocker for a WR. But that is not a reason to put Garcon above Gonzo in the pecking order, especially when you have Manning at QB where it is more important for a receiver to get open, be where he is supposed to be and be able to catch the ball.

If Painter was the QB where the Colts were running the ball more and trying to chuck up long ones just to keep the D honest and hoping for the explosive play then I'd give Garcon the nod.

I was thinking the same thing. A strong running game means we don't need Peyton to throw 40 times each game; a weak running game will mean more pass attempts and more passing yards.

I'm also iffy on the Garcon one. The two I can see happening are the 1000 yard rusher and Freeney getting his sacks. I'm even iffy on the 1000 yard rusher, we will probably run another back-by-committee this year with Addai, Brown and Carter splitting the reps. They will probably get over 1000 combined, but I don't think any one of them will get 1000 on their own.

If Peyton were to wind up passing 5,000 yards then I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Colts as a team didn't reach 1,000 yds rushing. lol