Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

First off let me say Andrew Luck is going to get paid 130 million plus. So I think that itself outweighs the need to draft defense in the first round. So yes I think we should draft Center Ryan Kelly.

All I read about is how Denzel Good is I don't know if he's going to play right tackle or Right Guard so in the second round I would draft Joshua Garnett or Germain ifedi.

I know people are probably going nuts thinking no defense yet but doing this our o-line and your luck is safe for the next couple years.

For the third rounds I would draft outside linebacker Kyler Fackell. He can rush the passer as well as cover. For the 4th pick Miles Killebrew safety.

Fifth pick would go to DJ Reader, nose tackle he won't rush the passer but he won't let people get past him . Next year my first two picks would definitely go outside linebacker and corner then a running back in the third

No way are we taking a C at 18. Grigs doesn't value the position enough to do that. He's quick to point out all the UDFA playing in the league and his Super Bowl team with an UDFA at C. I'd be surprised if we go before day 2.

Are they serious when they say they are happy with what we have at OT. I believe they are. Grigs is glowing with pride every time Good runs out there.

They say they are focusing on interior of the OL specifically C. I could see a guy like Seumola or Westerman being our only draft pick used on the OL. Threy can play all 3 spots. Their best spot is C. I think both are NFL. ready. Seumola more so at C. Maybe we grab both, 

It's not a like we need to get younger. Mewhort and Thorton are 24, Heenan, O'Brien and Harrison are 25. Holmes who I think will be waived injured during camp is the oldest at 26. I think we need and will still bring a vet In at C. I am hoping we sign Wisenewski.  

If we are really happy with the guys we have in Castonzo Reitz and Good. I could see Grigs bring in his customary T no one has heard of in the 7th and draft a guy like Seumola who can play all 3 spots day 3.

Then bring in a couple of UDFA's Booker G/C from Missoiri St. is someone I'd look at. There's no guarantee Blythe gets drafted. I think we'd love to bring him in. It's a deep C class there's going to be quality UDFA's 

We only have 5 picks. You can't expect much in the 7th. We have a lot of holes. C has to be addresse as does OLB. We only have 3 OLB's on the roster and all 3 are over 30. We could see a G too. 

It would be nice to add a FS Adams is old in football years.  I like the addition of Southward but grabbibg one this year would be ideal. We are looking at ILB. That's not as dire to me but we appear serous. 

We need to add a piece to the DL. We still gave up about 125,yards per game on the ground. Harry can't be rushed back. We can't count on Jones staying healthy and Parry is best suited as a rotational guy. An uograde in the middke is needed. It's a great class to do it. You have to think we solidify the DL. 

That's 6 positions we are serious about C OLB FS ILB DL OG. We could use multiple OLB's. 

You can't rule out a CB falling in our laps. We are supposedly looking at more RB help. A TE or WR would not shock me. 

They have come out and said they think the OL is close. We expect Philbin to make a big difference. It's really not all that crazy to think getting a solid C would stabalize the OL. 

35 minutes ago, akcolt said:

They have come out and said they think the OL is close. We expect Philbin to make a big difference. It's really not all that crazy to think getting a solid C would stabalize the OL.

Does this not argue for taking Ryan Kelly. I agree with a lot of what you said, because I think the addition of Philbin is going to help the OL, but almost every scout says Kelly is a start right away, plug and play, and will have a very good to pro bowl career. To me it is the most important position on the OL. I would love to trade down to get Kelly late in the first, but I still won't be surprised if he is the pick at 18. The only boards I really look at are top 50 boards of McShay, Jeremiah, Kiper and Mayock, and they all have him from 30-40. Yes it would be a little bit of reach, but at 18, I don't think there is going to be a player we have to have. Most believe there are only about 15 first round draft grades anyway. So why not take close to BPA and a need. Just my two cents. As I always say, the mock drafts and what they all say mean nothing before. If anyone would have said Dorsett was our first round pick before the draft last year, they could have found a way to make a lot of money!

4 minutes ago, loudnproudcolt said:

Does this not argue for taking Ryan Kelly. I agree with a lot of what you said, because I think the addition of Philbin is going to help the OL, but almost every scout says Kelly is a start right away, plug and play, and will have a very good to pro bowl career. To me it is the most important position on the OL. I would love to trade down to get Kelly late in the first, but I still won't be surprised if he is the pick at 18. The only boards I really look at are top 50 boards of McShay, Jeremiah, Kiper and Mayock, and they all have him from 30-40. Yes it would be a little bit of reach, but at 18, I don't think there is going to be a player we have to have. Most believe there are only about 15 first round draft grades anyway. So why not take close to BPA and a need. Just my two cents. As I always say, the mock drafts and what they all say mean nothing before. If anyone would have said Dorsett was our first round pick before the draft last year, they could have found a way to make a lot of money!

I'm in the minority I know but I don't get the fuss over Kelly. I don't see Grigs taking a C in the 1st. I woukd not take Kelly at 18. Yes 18 to 40! Is a huge reach. The more I see Seumola the more I like him. 

I'm not sure any rookie stabilizes the OL. Our G's are 24 I'd like to see a vet signed even if it's a band aid for a year while the rookie gets acclimated. 

Yes I understand it is a reach, but if only 15 players are true first rounders, then rankings after 20 are not irrelevant, but they would all be ranked as second rounder picks. I know what everyone says about Grigson. I also know most scouts love the kid and say he is the rare plug and play right away. When Pitt took Pouncey in the 1st, it solidified that line, although he has been injury plagued. I want someone Andrew can work with for the next ten years and depend on. Now if it happens to be another guy, OK, I won't argue. I just don't want to keep shifting back between Holmes or Harrison. I want some continuity.

In the end, others may have imput on this behind the scenes. I believe they brought Philbin in to get this line right. He may have some say. Also, not showing interest means nothing. If I wanted a player, I would not show interest either. His tape speaks for itself. Smoke and mirror time of the year. I doubt Kelly will be who we take at 18, but I for one would not mind a small reach in the 1st.

Dark Horse, I love your first two picks being offensive line.  We need to protect our franchise quarterback.  We had three quarterbacks go down with injuries last year.  That is terrible protection by the O-line.  Lineman are not sexy or popular picks and no one wants to make them in the early rounds.  It would be very nice to get our offensive line squared away for the next ten years.

Nobody knows how the front office and coaching staff really feel, but we do need two new starters on the line.  If they take Conklin if first they can put him at right guard and take best center available in 2nd.  Or take Kelly in first and Garnett in 2nd.

Like your thinking Dark Horse. 

2 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

You are going to be disappointed if you think we are getting offensive linemen with the first two picks. I don't think we draft a center until 3rd or 4th round.

Right where we should take a C

I like your first four picks a lot.  I think protecting Luck is of paramount importance in the beginning of the draft. Last years draft was primarily defense after Dorsett.  This year it has to be OL and should be able to find two plug and play interior OL in the first two rounds.   Based on what we're hearing from the Colt's decision makers it sure seems like we are focused on fixing the interior OL and you do that with your first picks.  Kelly seems to good to pass up in the first.  If you could find a partner to trade back with better yet. If you can't I would be all in with Kelly at 18.  

I just don't get it all the websites I've been seeing he's been ranked 21 / 29 so how was that a reach. We all saw how important Jeff Saturday was to Peyton Manning do you really want Jonathan Harrison as our starting center again Hugh Thornton and Retiz a six-man I don't see him as a starting right tackle although he did a good job last year I don't trust him starting a long period of time. I just don't get it I love the defense I understand we need to pass rush but there's no one worth grabbing that's going to make a difference so why don't we just take this year for the line offensively so good luck time in the pocket call , plays for the running back make more passes is overall makes the offense better I'm not saying completely ignore defense but the first two pics need to be offense I know it sucks it's hard to hard to swallow but it's true next year we'll go defense. Because if luck doesn't play we don't win plain and simple. And we're always complaining about the Run game I'll get some monsters up front to make open holes

21 hours ago, akcolt said:

No way are we taking a C at 18. Grigs doesn't value the position enough to do that. He's quick to point out all the UDFA playing in the league and his Super Bowl team with an UDFA at C. I'd be surprised if we go before day 2.

In my most recent mock draft, which can be found in one of the upcoming Colts Mailbags, I have us sliding down in the first while acquiring a 3rd rounder in the process. At that point we could take Kelly and it would add an extra pick in one of our best picking rounds in the past years, with names like Henry Anderson, Donte Moncrief, and TY Hilton all coming in the 3rd! Let me know what you think about this!

10 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

In my most recent mock draft, which can be found in one of the upcoming Colts Mailbags, I have us sliding down in the first while acquiring a 3rd rounder in the process. At that point we could take Kelly and it would add an extra pick in one of our best picking rounds in the past years, with names like Henry Anderson, Donte Moncrief, and TY Hilton all coming in the 3rd! Let me know what you think about this!

I love trading down for extra picks in the first three rounds. We have a lot of holes there is talent in the top 100 and beyond. I stil would not draft Kelly in the 1st round He is a C.

I would look for D. I would not consider him until 48 and then only if players like Thompson Calhoun. Dodd Clark are all gone. If we miss Billings I really like Clark.

I just don't see Kelly being the BPA until our 3rd round pick. If we were set everywhere else I could see reaching for s C but we are not. It's a deep C class.

There will be quality players into the 5th roind. I really like Seumola the more info I get and Westernan. Both can play either G spot but there best spot is C.

We have 2 top 50 picks. We need splash players. We can get a solid C day 3 IMO. There is no guarantee on Kelly. There are plenty of sites that rate Martin the top C. I am hoping we still bring in a vet at some point. 

In 2013, the Colts drafted Center Holmes in 4th round and Guard Thornton in 3rd round.  That did not work out very well. I understand all draft picks have risks and they get less likely to succeed as you get farther down the draft.  I just don't believe you can pick up any center or any guard in 3rd, 4th, or later round and can expect them to be excellent players or even starters.  Exceptions occur, but we should stop gambling with our quarterback's long term health.  We should bite the bullet and draft two offensive lineman who will be starters for the next ten years.

Yes Bluefire.  I will very likely be disappointed with this year's draft.  I was disappointed with our first two picks last year also.  We don't need great receivers if our quarterback has zero time.  It does not help the team if we draft a player in second round who barely plays in his first year.  I hope these players turn into great players, but we need to protect our franchise quarterback first.  Then draft defense all day long.