Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fleener to Saints!

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

They are two different players who were drafted together to play two different roles, not the same role, yet people on this forum compare them.  Its like comparing Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison straight up.  The possession guy and the downfield threat.

The Colts didn't choose "Allen over Fleener".  They decided they didn't want Fleener because the things he does well is of little use now that they have a $10 million/year WR, another 1st round draft pick WR, and Moncrief.  Too many down field options and not enough shorter route/blocking options if Allen left.

Comparing Allen and Fleener over the years was always flawed logic., and was decidedly unintelligent to do so.

Flawed Logic  & Decidedly Unintelligent ? haha

There both tight ends so lay some wisdom on me whom would you compare a tight end with if not another tight end ? 

:scratch:   There has to be a starting point something intelligent for instance IMO a tight end that is mainly a WR is not as important as a tight end that can when healthy be one of the top 10 at his position something Fleener will not be , Nor will Fleener ever be as good as Graham so the Saints fans will not be impressed with Fleener IMO .

Dallas Clark was a very good tight end Fleener was never a Clark & won't be missed .

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

Flawed Logic  & Decidedly Unintelligent ? haha

There both tight ends so lay some wisdom on me whom would you compare a tight end with if not another tight end ? 

:scratch:   There has to be a starting point something intelligent for instance IMO a tight end that is mainly a WR is not as important as a tight end that can when healthy be one of the top 10 at his position something Fleener will not be , Nor will Fleener ever be as good as Graham so the Saints fans will not be impressed with Fleener IMO .

Dallas Clark was a very good tight end Fleener was never a Clark & won't be missed .

Who was better, Ken Dilger or Marcus Pollard?  Both played TE...but hard to say.  They did different things well, and when asked to do the other thing, they didn't do it as well as the other. 

I never criticized Dilger for not getting open on a seam route, just like I never criticized Pollard for whiffing a block.

Colts want just the Dilger type this year.  I'm cool with that.

It's hard to say who was better than anyone else. Peyton was very good at going to the receiver or tight end that the defenses were not doubling or not covering with their best defender. From week to week you never could determine who was going to be the man. Other than Marv or Reggie it was a toss up who was going to have a good day. There were days when Clark had huge games and then disappeared the next week because Peyton was going somewhere else with his passes.

44 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Who was better, Ken Dilger or Marcus Pollard?  Both played TE...but hard to say.  They did different things well, and when asked to do the other thing, they didn't do it as well as the other. 

I never criticized Dilger for not getting open on a seam route, just like I never criticized Pollard for whiffing a block.

I am not too sure about that comment. Out of the 10 years Dilger played, his first two years he had 4 TDs on the year. Other than those first two years he never went over 3 TD catches. He had 635 yards receiving his rookie year and never topped that again. Lets hope Allen can beat those numbers or he will be considered over paid.

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I am not too sure about that comment. Out of the 10 years Dilger played, his first two years he had 4 TDs on the year. Other than those first two years he never went over 3 TD catches. He had 635 yards receiving his rookie year and never topped that again. Lets hope Allen can beat those numbers or he will be considered over paid.

It was a bit of a different era.  I don't think the passing era really kicked in until Dilger was old and about done.   Dilger was a chain mover.  I'm sure Allen will have better numbers than Dilger.

22 minutes ago, B~Town said:

HE fits Chuds system and will do everything asked better than Fleener would at a large savings no brainer .

The only thing he does better that Fleener is block. Let's not play ourselves here, he doesn't touch Coby as a pass catcher & in Chud's offense history has shown that he wants TEs that can ball out as pass catchers. With him being our #2 TE now, if he does a solid job in that department, I'll be more than pleased with it, but to say you'd be alright with him as our guy is a bit of a stretch since we haven't seen anything that would validate that.

22 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

What part of it can you not agree with? Just curious, cause Allen is a do it all TE who is an amazing blocker, whilst Fleener is more of a vertical threat. This team has plenty of options for the long ball already with TY, Donte and Phil, so a more balanced TE would make more sense, would it not?

You really didn`t watch his blocking last season that close Obviously.
  He is a good blocker for a TE. Maybe even an 8 on a 10 scale much of the time.
    Guess you also didn`t notice he can`t come within a country mile of doing what Fleener could in the passing game. Allen is, and will always be a plodder. Lets see if he can learn to run a real pass route, rather than just drift into zones. Hopefully the coaching and game plans get the best out of him. He Can Earn that $$$.

22 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

You really didn`t watch his blocking last season that close Obviously.
  He is a good blocker for a TE. Maybe even an 8 on a 10 scale much of the time.
    Guess you also didn`t notice he can`t come within a country mile of doing what Fleener could in the passing game. Allen is, and will always be a plodder. Lets see if he can learn to run a real pass route, rather than just drift into zones. Hopefully the coaching and game plans get the best out of him. He Can Earn that $$$.

I guess you totally forgot about what Dwyane Allen is able to accomplish when he is fully healthy and utilized by the coaching staff. Rookie season, he was a beast. Second year, was a top red zone option. He's a beast, and at his best, very few TE's can do what he does. Now we just got to try and help him reach his ceiling

On 3/9/2016 at 1:29 PM, DougDew said:

2 awesome TE's  :applause:   Dude Pollard was a basketball player first so he gets a pass .

I hope Fleener does good for the Saints except in Colts games .

On another note I saw a TE weight in at 405 pounds today & out run Rich Eisen's 40 time now that was impressive ,