Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dolphins trade undisclosed draft picks for Byron Maxwell and Kiko Alonso

Jason_

I understand Dolphins need help at ILB and CB, but Maxwell was one of the worst corners last season and Alonso is injury prone. When Alonso played, he was very mediocre.

Plus they are taking a big amount of cap.

9 minutes ago, MTC said:

I understand Dolphins need help at ILB and CB, but Maxwell was one of the worst corners last season and Alonso is injury prone. When Alonso played, he was very mediocre.

Vontae was disillusioned in Miami, and look how far he has come.

Maxwell, whenever I saw him play at Seattle, teams that could not target Sherman, went after him, and all I saw him do was break up long ball after long ball. It is like the team gave up on Chip Kelly, it seemed like.

So I would not put too much stock in Maxwell's previous year. The Dolphins overpaid for Ellerbe, now will do so again for Alonso, they will never learn, I guess.

Maxwell can play safety, from what I recall.  And Kiko is still very young (just 25 years old).  Depending on what the draft pick compensation is, I'd say this is a win for Miami.

14 minutes ago, MTC said:

Only for Maxwell.  Kiko's cap hit is around $1 mil.  If it weren't for Maxwell's insane cap hit, this would be a clear win for Miami, in my opinion

Hopefully they are going to use Maxwell in a cover 3 defense like he ran in Seattle. At least in that scheme he was pretty good. His last year in Philly was terrible, and I have a feeling that Miami is getting fleeced on this one. Howie Roseman is starting early on cleaning up Kelly's mess by dumping that terrible Maxwell contract. I am also guessing that with Miami eating Maxwell's contract it is going to make it even harder to retain Vernon.