Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New Mock Draft and FA

I`m bored so here goes it before the Combine. I will not do any cuts as we all seem to be on the same page on who needs to go.

1. 1.Vernon Butler DT Anchor in the middle and Parry becomes the rotation guy.

2. 2.Vadal Alexander OG

3. 3.C.J. Prosise RB

4. 4. Deandre Houston-Carson FS

5. 5. Victor, Ochi OLB

6. 7. Matt Skura C

7. Free Agency

8. Aldon Smith OLB Signed to a one year prove it deal

9. Ben Jones C

10. Patrick Robinson CB

Not a sexy draft or FA signings however I don`t think Grigs will go crazy in free agency this year. There are still areas that need to be addressed, but I just don`t see them all being accomplished in one season and with the Colts signing key free agents and Luck. 

3 hours ago, MPStack said:

I`m bored so here goes it before the Combine. I will not do any cuts as we all seem to be on the same page on who needs to go.

1. 1.Vernon Butler DT Anchor in the middle and Parry becomes the rotation guy.

2. 2.Vadal Alexander OG

3. 3.C.J. Prosise RB

4. 4. Deandre Houston-Carson FS

5. 5. Victor, Ochi OLB

6. 7. Matt Skura C

7. Free Agency

8. Aldon Smith OLB Signed to a one year prove it deal

9. Ben Jones C

10. Patrick Robinson CB

Not a sexy draft or FA signings however I don`t think Grigs will go crazy in free agency this year. There are still areas that need to be addressed, but I just don`t see them all being accomplished in one season and with the Colts signing key free agents and Luck. 

I think Parry is more of a rotational guy too. We need better at NT.  I would take Johnson in the 3rd instead of Prosise. That would really help our D. If I could get Billings in the 2nd I would jump on that. You may have to take Johnson in the 2nd and get a guy like  Tretola to play G in the 3rd anyway. Easy fix don't lose much at G big gain on D. Grab a RB at 7 or UDFA. There are so many and we have Gore 1 more year, 

I like it you hit the two positions we have to in FA C and CB. I don't think we touch Smith. I think you are right we are pretty quiet in FA I could see Mack prefer Davis. Draft hits biggest holes. I'd take CB Hall N Iowa or better yet Sims S. Utah if either were there in the 7th. 

This is about how I see it going. A C and CB in FA not much else. Then try to fill holes in the draft. We have some of our own to sign this year. 

Watching the film on Butler makes me think of Werner. Just a tick too late & gives up on too many plays.

He would be relying on his strength to compete early on & I just don't think that's enough at the NFL level.

Looks to have a high ceiling & perhaps a truck load of potential but I'm not sure we want another project as our first pick................again.

6 hours ago, coltsfansince65 said:

Watching the film on Butler makes me think of Werner. Just a tick too late & gives up on too many plays.

He would be relying on his strength to compete early on & I just don't think that's enough at the NFL level.

Looks to have a high ceiling & perhaps a truck load of potential but I'm not sure we want another project as our first pick................again.

What tape did you watch? He was extremely explosive when Ibwatched. Plus Werner was/is a terrible athlete. Butler is very quick for his size and has good power.

I'm not sure he's a project. He can play day 1. There's a reason some analysts have him as a first round pick.

Nah Butler is definitely a project...Not a 1st rounder in my opinion. High upside but a project. He is strong and athletic but can be handled 1 on 1 often. He will once in a while take poor angles to the ballcarrier. He also shoots straight up and down out of his stance to much I think taking away his power. He does flash a swim move that's affective but not enough for my liking. He may go in the 2nd (athletically no question 1st round talent) but I don't he goes in the 1st. Also most of his production came against low levels of competition...That's not to day discout it cause I'm of the opinion if a player can play regardless of level of competition but he was not exactly dominant against lower levels of competition and often guys that were smaller then him

21 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Nah Butler is definitely a project...Not a 1st rounder in my opinion. High upside but a project. He is strong and athletic but can be handled 1 on 1 often. He will once in a while take poor angles to the ballcarrier. He also shoots straight up and down out of his stance to much I think taking away his power. He does flash a swim move that's affective but not enough for my liking. He may go in the 2nd (athletically no question 1st round talent) but I don't he goes in the 1st. Also most of his production came against low levels of competition...That's not to day discout it cause I'm of the opinion if a player can play regardless of level of competition but he was not exactly dominant against lower levels of competition and often guys that were smaller then him

G.....

For whatever it's worth (probably not much) I went to three different websites to get their view on Vernon Butler....

-- He's the 33rd overall prospect on CBS Sports.com

-- He's the 32nd overall prospect on NFL.com

-- He's the 28th overall prospect on ESPN.com   (Scouts Inc/McShaw's crew)

So, I suspect he's a lock for the 2nd, but he's got a decent shot at the first.    As I like to remind everyone,  it's still very early.     These rankings will change -- some will change a lot in the next 9 weeks....     but as of now, the view on Butler is very positive across the board...

P.S. -- remember, in your evaluations, try not to just see what a prospect IS,  try to also see what a prospect CAN BE.        (Just some food for thought....)

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:
1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

G.....

For whatever it's worth (probably not much) I went to three different websites to get their view on Vernon Butler....

So, I suspect he's a lock for the 2nd, but he's got a decent shot at the first.    As I like to remind everyone,  it's still very early.     These rankings will change -- some will change a lot in the next 9 weeks....     but as of now, the view on Butler is very positive across the board...

P.S. -- remember, in your evaluations, try not to just see what a prospect IS,  try to also see what a prospect CAN BE.        (Just some food for thought....)

G.....

I understand where your coming from and he may well go in the first and as I said athletically he is a 1st round talent. But again his read and react skills are average. As is his hand use and his ability to understand leverage. Now to your point about seeing what he can be...While I agree he can be much better you generally don't draft "he can be much better" in the 1st round but your generally drafting as close to a sure thing as you can get in round 1. Don't get me wrong, I like his potential but not at the cost of a 1st round pick. For me 2nd round pick

7 hours ago, Gavin said:

He sounds more like a prospect with some coachable flaws rather than a project. When I think of project I think of someone who is:

1. Trying to learn a new position in the NFL

2. Needs to add or gain weight 

3.Will play in a different scheme

4. Hasn't been playing football long

Butler has his flaws as do most prospects, but nothing that makes him a project.

I don't think Butler is a first rounder, but I do like him.  I think he sits somewhere between day 2 and day 3 to be honest with you and that's about right to me.  If Henry Anderson can be drafted in the 3rd round, then I could certainly imagine a scenario with Butler being available in that round too. Henry was a more productive player, and he played against better competition. It is especially a likely scenario for Butler when you have a draft class that is loaded with DL like it is in 2016.

I want Austin Johnson though.  Between him and Parry I think we'd be fine at the Nose Tackle, plus get the extra added value of positional flexibility that Johnson would offer.  LOVE me some Billings, but he's pretty much just a nose tackle although a very good one.

I hope the Colts have him high on their list.

I really like it.  I've gone the route of signing a RG in FA and drafting a Center in Round 2, but the opposite certainly works too!  You hit a lot of my favorites: Ochi, Prosise, and Carson-Houston.  The only thing I would say, is I expect/hope for two upgrades at CB.  In my current mock, I have us signing a starter in FA and drafting one in Round 1.  A total makeover of the position is necessary, as I consider it offseason priority #1.