Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vinny Curry re-signs with Eagles

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/vinny-curry/

Five years, $47.25m. Average of almost $9.5m/year, just slightly higher than Derek Wolfe's new contract, and with an extra year. The Eagles reportedly are working on a new deal with Fletcher Cox also, who is on his fifth year option. He's better than Curry.

These deals are creating a reference point for Malik Jackson and Mo Wilkerson. 

17 minutes ago, DougDew said:

So about 12 for Jackson?  How does that compare to what we are paying Jones?

It's twice as much as we're paying Jones. His average salary is $6.6m/year. His salary in 2016 is $4.5m.

Jackson is a very different player than Jones, and a significant upgrade, IMO. Even when Jones is healthy.

38 minutes ago, Superman said:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/vinny-curry/

Five years, $47.25m. Average of almost $9.5m/year, just slightly higher than Derek Wolfe's new contract, and with an extra year. The Eagles reportedly are working on a new deal with Fletcher Cox also, who is on his fifth year option. He's better than Curry.

These deals are creating a reference point for Malik Jackson and Mo Wilkerson. 

This seems borderline irresponsible.  Maybe I'm just not paying close enough attention to the Eagles and Curry to understand his value.

2 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

This seems borderline irresponsible.  Maybe I'm just not paying close enough attention to the Eagles and Curry to understand his value.

I don't think he's worth that contract, either. 

I've been comparing him to other DT/DE kind of guys, and he's an edge defender / pass rusher. Probably more comparable to JPP, but still not as good.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I don't think he's worth that contract, either. 

I've been comparing him to other DT/DE kind of guys, and he's an edge defender / pass rusher. Probably more comparable to JPP, but still not as good.

We can understand that they are moving back to a 4-3 and projecting him as the starting LDE...but is he really Carlos Dunlap? This contract with inflation suggests that is who they think he can be.  Maybe not that far off but Dunlap had done a lot more at time of signing two years ago.

I know they switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 last season, and Curry had a hard time adjusting. Pretty sure he had like 9 sacks as a 4-3 DE the year before last, but only like 3.5 as a 3-4 OLB this year. To get that kind of a contract coming off of a down year is pretty surprising to me. I understand that he was productive the year before last, but getting almost 10 mil a year for basically one very good year is a bit too generous IMO.

2 hours ago, rock8591 said:

This is why salaries are so inflated in FA. Vinny Curry was a situational pass rusher at best. Unless the contract had very little guaranteed money.

http://www.nfl.com/player/vinnycurry/2532825/profile

Initially reported as $23m guaranteed, with a $10m signing bonus. We'll see how much is really guaranteed as more details are made available.

I am not sure why everyone assumes Malik Jackson will get anything north of 10mil/year.  He is a solid player and young but not worth anything more than what Vinny just got.  He should honestly get and be happy with something similar to his teammate Wolfe.  And to try and put him in the same category as Mo Wilkerson for contract value means you are crazy.  Not even close to the same production.

10 hours ago, SDakColts said:

I know they switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 last season, and Curry had a hard time adjusting. Pretty sure he had like 9 sacks as a 4-3 DE the year before last, but only like 3.5 as a 3-4 OLB this year. To get that kind of a contract coming off of a down year is pretty surprising to me. I understand that he was productive the year before last, but getting almost 10 mil a year for basically one very good year is a bit too generous IMO.

They've been a 3-4 scheme for the last 3 or so years.

Eagles signed DE Vinny Curry to a five-year, $47.25 million contract through 2020.

The deal includes $23 million guaranteed, $10 million of which appears to be coming immediately as a signing bonus. It's in line with what beat writer Geoff Mosher predicted last week. Curry has never started a game since being the No. 59 overall pick of the 2012 draft — seriously — but has 16.5 sacks over the past three years. He generated consistent pressure on 426 snaps in 2015. His playing time should spike dramatically next season. The Eagles are hoping the same is true of his sack totals. The Eagles have set about locking up all their in-house free agents since firing coach Chip Kelly.

This is what a rising Cap is doing.
 Helps explain Cantstanzos deal. Good grief!