Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

OPCs Draft Profile - Max Tuerk C/OG, USC

Height: 6’5” / Weight: 285 lb.

Games Watched – vs. Stanford (2014), vs. Washington (2015), vs Stanford (2015)

Previous Installment (with grade explanation) - OPCs Draft Profile - DeForest Buckner, DE

This is one of the first couple of interior linemen I watched of this year’s draft class, and he’s still my favorite (that was, when Pat Elflein decided he would return to OSU).  There’s a lot to like about a guy who just goes in and does his work, keeps his nose clean, and setting an example, being a leader in the process.  That’s Max Tuerk in a nutshell.  He’s exactly what you’re looking for in an NFL Center, with very good football IQ to boot. 

Grades

Size/Frame – He’s a smidge tall for a center, but not alarmingly so.  However, at 285 lb., he will need to add bulk.  Fortunately for him, his frame is well proportioned, and it looks like he could add another 10 lbs. without sacrificing much mobility, not sure about after that (but his quickness is enough that I still think he’d be in the upper echelon of mobile centers even if he added 20 pounds).  Ideally, you’d like him to get closer to 300 lb. 3/5

Versatility – Initially recruited as a Tackle, he’s played all over the line and with considerable playing time at each position at USC.  He’s being projected as a Center, which is where he has seen most of his playing time, but he has also seen roughly a season’s worth of starts at the Guard position and a half season at the Tackle position.  On top of that, USC runs both a gap and zone blocking scheme (they tend one way or the other depending on opponent it seems), so Tuerk shouldn’t be on a steep learning curve, wherever he goes.    5/5

Athleticism – For a center, they don’t make them much more mobile than Tuerk.  He moves very quick for his size, but I wonder how much of that quickness will be retained when he puts on another 10-20 pounds, which he desperately will need at the next level.  Nevertheless, he identifies the appropriate targets when moving to the second level, on screens, or pulling.  Change of direction won’t be an issue at the next level with good burst off the line, into the next level or around the edges while pulling.    9/10

Play Strength/Physicality – Tuerk has average to good strength in the run game, due largely to the fact he keeps his feet moving constantly. He won’t win on brute strength alone, so at his height, its good that he does keep a good (could be a little better).  Pass blocking is a different story, where his punch is quick and hard, he is able to quickly reset on bull rushing DTs, punch/reset, etc and rarely gets overpowered.  He is the kind of guy that will continue driving until his man is on the ground or the play is over.    For a guy who has been perceived as quiet off the field (he even comes across blasé or as a goofball at times during his interviews, not that it’s a bad thing), he has a much welcomed streak of toughness about him, though it has led to penalties (see unnecessary roughness penalty in Stanford (2015) at the 7:50 mark). 6/10

Run Block/Technique –    Tuerk generally grades out well as a blocker in the running game, but he’s not a mauler (yet).  First off, his mobility is clearly an advantage.  At the snap, he’s quick off the ball, and his first two steps are decisive and gets him in position to react to defenders in a timely manner.  He moves laterally and vertically along the field with ease, whether he’s pulling, getting to the second level, double team, etc, but I did notice a couple times where he got knocked to the ground but couldn’t really tell why (i.e. foot stepped on by teammate, wrong step into defender, etc.).  Seldom does he overrun his block.  He bends well at the hips and knees, keeping his feet moving after contract.  But by and large, my biggest complaint with Tuerk is that he leads with his body instead of punching with his hands when engaging with the defender – almost always.  At first I thought it was because he was a center playing against a nose guard in the Stanford (2015) game, but he does it when he's not covered and when he engages at the second level as well.  He has good motor when drive blocking, but he could generate so much more power out of his legs simply by adding some bulk and having a quicker, more effective punch at the point of attack.  Correctible, but still a problem for a guy who is already at a disadvantage being a 6’5” 285 lb. Center going up against 6’2” 315 lb. DTs.  21/30

Pass Block/Technique –  Tuerk is a much better pass blocker, and it likely stems from his time as a left tackle and left guard.  I’ve touched on some of this in the “Play Strength/Physicality” section, so I’ll try not to repeat.  He has exceptional quickness getting set, especially for having ball snap duties.  Great balance and flexibility to hold up against strong bull rushers, but he is susceptible to quicker pass rushers.  His punch could be more violent, but it is still effective, getting his hands straight into the defenders chest.  He keeps his head on his target and mirrors very well.  Can get grabby sometimes, especially he when he loses position; though no penalty was called from what I saw, I did see him lock into a guys chest and pull to the ground (i.e. had the ref maybe been paying attention or had a better vantage point, it was an obvious hold).  Does well with stunts whether it’s passing over or taking on, but could get his head on a swivel quicker if he notices the LB is dropping back.   26/30

Durability/Intangibles – As soon as his junior campaign, Tuerk was responsible for making pre-snap defensive reads and blocking assignments, which he is very good at according to teammates and coaches (difficult to see on film without knowing what’s called in the huddle).  Naturally, he is considered a leader and mentor among teammates.  Unfortunately, the severe knock on him heading into the 2016 draft is his knee injury sustained earlier this year.  We’ll see how the medical reports end up turning out, but given today’s recovery from ACL injuries, I’ll assume 100% recovery in the average timeframe (as I’ve heard of no setbacks), which should have him fully healthy in time for summer camp; doubt he makes the combine, but we’ll see.  One other item I wasn’t really sure where to put, but it is notable.  His snap is unorthodox – holding the ball on the end nearest him and pointing the end furthest away toward the ground.  It didn’t cause any fumbles in 2015 as far as I know of, so could be a non-issue, but I knock off a point for it here because it did cause fumbles in 2014.    7/10

Raw Score: 77/100

Composite Score: 6.93 – Possible starter by year 1, likely by year 2, solid starter with Pro-Bowl upside

Projected Round – mid-2nd rounder

Fit with Colts:  According to most, and I agree, his natural fit as he is right now is in a zone scheme.  I hope that he at least has limited participation in the combine.  With his knee injury and being underweight, there’s an obvious question of whether he can get to a better weight before summer camp or at least the preseason.  We’ll see on that front, but the staff won’t put him in before he’s ready, and if that’s not until week 4 of the regular season, so be it.  He should be able to contribute early on given his versatility across the line with difference scheme concepts, but I wouldn’t suspect he’d call line blocking assignments anytime soon with Luck taking snaps (though I hope that he eventually would).  Really, the sky is the limit for this kid.  He’s not the most impressive tactician, but his limitations are fairly easy to correct and his strengths - fluidity, mobility, and flexibility - are often things that can’t be taught or difficult to instill, but those things are what separate a good and great offensive lineman. 5/5

23 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

I like him at C. Although I agree he'd be far better in a zone scheme due to his movement and size.

Question is what scheme will we be using next year?

All indications are that we'll be going to ZBS next year.  And Tuerk could be employed in a PBS, he just needs to add more strength.  May not be his bread and butter, but even if we were to continue gap blocking elements, Tuerk could handle them.

Folks don`t like to think this way, but this guy could build himself into a fine
physical specimen and very talented player come year 3.... We know we Need it!

I liked Jeff Saturday from the beginning. He was ok.
 He improved gradually each season.
 I don`t get to watch all the centers in the NFL like i do my home team, and i can remember thinking

Really, when he made his 1st Pro Bowl, his 5th year as a starter.
  He was definitely getting very good, but i figured there was surely someone better, and that he was mostly getting the slot because he was on National TV so much, and certainly gaining fame as a winner.
 In the end, Jeff was No Doubt a Franchise type Center, and i would love to get another just like him.
  Even if it takes a guy a few years to get there.

14 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Folks don`t like to think this way, but this guy could build himself into a fine
physical specimen and very talented player come year 3.... We know we Need it!

I liked Jeff Saturday from the beginning. He was ok.
 He improved gradually each season.
 I don`t get to watch all the centers in the NFL like i do my home team, and i can remember thinking

Really, when he made his 1st Pro Bowl, his 5th year as a starter.
  He was definitely getting very good, but i figured there was surely someone better, and that he was mostly getting the slot because he was on National TV so much, and certainly gaining fame as a winner.
 In the end, Jeff was No Doubt a Franchise type Center, and i would love to get another just like him.
  Even if it takes a guy a few years to get there.

It's funny you say that, because I really think he's that type of kid, if he develops in a handful of areas.  Literally, I had a sentence in there that said something like "Tuerk could be to Luck what Saturday was to Manning."  Wanting to avoid the lofty expectations and the fact that it may take away from the actual work I did watching film (i.e. I wouldn't want that one line to be picked out over everything and not actually discuss what I saw on film), I left it out.  

I think he could be that guy, for sure.  He's got plenty of work to do between now and then.  If it weren't for his knee injury, he could very easily have been a 28-32 overall-ish 1st round pick.  I've seen some reports (though no confirmation) that he could take part in the Combine.  As much as I doubt it, if he were a full participant and do well on top (or even have a Pro Day) I'd come back and consider giving a first round grade on him (my score wouldn't change much, maybe a tenth, give or take), depending on the measurments and times).

Idk if I would draft another banged up USC center. Holmes came in banged up, and so did the center the 49ers drafted in 2014 (I think his last name was Martin or something). Plus I wonder if he's just a product of the system. Since 2012 he's the third USC center to be tabbed as a top C by analysts. I'm always hesitant when schools routinely put out guys regarded as the best at their position (Alabama RBs, LSU DBs, Stanford TEs, etc...). There's always the true star  among the bunch but usually teams end up with system players with limited success at the next level.

53 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Idk if I would draft another banged up USC center. Holmes came in banged up, and so did the center the 49ers drafted in 2014 (I think his last name was Martin or something). Plus I wonder if he's just a product of the system. Since 2012 he's the third USC center to be tabbed as a top C by analysts. I'm always hesitant when schools routinely put out guys regarded as the best at their position (Alabama RBs, LSU DBs, Stanford TEs, etc...). There's always the true star  among the bunch but usually teams end up with system players with limited success at the next level.

The injuries I get.  His was an ACL, unfortunate, but he doesn't have chronic injury issues like Holmes did at USC.  But you can only go off what you see on film like anyone else. I  don't think you're doing your due diligence correctly if you knock a guys grade down just because the guys before him didn't pan out (bear in mind, Ryan Kalil went to USC as well).  

1 hour ago, OffensivelyPC said:

The injuries I get.  His was an ACL, unfortunate, but he doesn't have chronic injury issues like Holmes did at USC.  But you can only go off what you see on film like anyone else. I  don't think you're doing your due diligence correctly if you knock a guys grade down just because the guys before him didn't pan out (bear in mind, Ryan Kalil went to USC as well).  

I'm not knocking him down because his predecessors weren't good. I'm knocking him more so because he's cookie cutter.

Its rare for a school to constantly produce legitimate top players at the same position consistently. A lot of it is just scheme and system. Every center from USC can't be the best center prospect in the draft.  I'm not saying no one can be good since they produced Kalil, but two years ago Martin was a top center prospect . 2 years before that it was Holmea. All I'm saying is buyer beware.

40 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I'm not knocking him down because his predecessors weren't good. I'm knocking him more so because he's cookie cutter.

Its rare for a school to constantly produce legitimate top players at the same position consistently. A lot of it is just scheme and system. Every center from USC can't be the best center prospect in the draft.  I'm not saying no one can be good since they produced Kalil, but two years ago Martin was a top center prospect . 2 years before that it was Holmea. All I'm saying is buyer beware.

I suppose, but I'm not sure how you separate good because of scheme and good because he is good other than by hunch, and that can get,any scout into trouble IMO