Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

RIP Lou Michaels

bababooey

RIP Lou Michaels, the franchise kicker before AV came to town.

Please check out this great article on him, the comments are also excellent as they point out how all the old players used to own local businesses and live in the community they played in.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/thetoydepartment/2009/10/catching_up_with_former_colt_l.html

This is how I became a Colts fan despite not being from Baltimore or Indiana. My great grandfather lived 22 miles northeast from the Alameda where some of the Colts owned stores, shops, and restaurants. He lived 24 miles south of where Jim Palmer and some of the Orioles had restaurants. They would go "nightclubbing" and drink with the ball players. After they moved my family remained colts fans.

The story about Michaels and Joe Namath before SB 3 is a pretty funny read.

RIP Lou Michaels.  I remember him as the Colts placekicker.  Lefty kicker I think.  Now, I have a question about Lou:  Was he also a punter?  I think he was a punter, but I'm not sure.  Unless I'm mixing him up with George Blanda of the Raiders?  Thanks for any help.  

5 minutes ago, tomloge said:

RIP Lou Michaels.  I remember him as the Colts placekicker.  Lefty kicker I think.  Now, I have a question about Lou:  Was he also a punter?  I think he was a punter, but I'm not sure.  Unless I'm mixing him up with George Blanda of the Raiders?  Thanks for any help.  

Probably thinking of David Lee 

42 minutes ago, bababooey said:

RIP Lou Michaels, the franchise kicker before AV came to town.

Please check out this great article on him, the comments are also excellent as they point out how all the old players used to own local businesses and live in the community they played in.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/thetoydepartment/2009/10/catching_up_with_former_colt_l.html

This is how I became a Colts fan despite not being from Baltimore or Indiana. My great grandfather lived 22 miles northeast from the Alameda where some of the Colts owned stores, shops, and restaurants. He lived 24 miles south of where Jim Palmer and some of the Orioles had restaurants. They would go "nightclubbing" and drink with the ball players. After they moved my family remained colts fans.

The story about Michaels and Joe Namath before SB 3 is a pretty funny read.

RIP Lou. Another great Baltimore Colt will be sorely missed. Our first house after I got married was in Idlewylde, which is within walking distance of Sherwood and the Alameda, which is where Artie's liquor store was. You could grab some brewski's there, make a left on Northern Parkway, and a right on Loch Raven Blvd, which would take you down close to 33rd Street and Memorial Stadium. My Aunt Mary lived on Ednor Ave near the stadium, and when we visited, I could hear the roar of the crowd from Colt and Oriole games. There was a High's dairy store down the street, where I bought many Coke's in the old glass bottles because they had Baltiimore Colt collectible pictures under the bottle cap. Getting a Johnny U was always the best. 

Palmer, McNally, Brooks and many of the Orioles and Colts lived in Lutherville, MD during the 60's and 70's. This was a somewhat ritzy area of Baltimore County at the time, and an easy ride to the stadium. I remember when Earl Weaver got a DWI near the Barn Restaurant in Carney. 

I I do agree with Lou. I will also take that horrible Super Bowl 3 loss to my grave. That 1968 13-1 Colts team was one of the best in history. Shula and the Colts didn't take that game seriously, and Morrall had one of the worst QB performances in SB history. If they played that game 10 times, the Colts would have won 9. The Jets caught them on that one bad day !

24 minutes ago, tomloge said:

Lou was also a D-lineman.

4 minutes ago, Gavin said:

http://thecharredribatthebarn.com/

I've never been to Baltimore personally but The Barn is still up. Cant find Arties though

He sold the liquor store many years ago, then his family owned and ran the Valley Country Club. The mansion there does weddings and other events, and I believe is now run by Art's daughter. I used to bartend right down the road from the Barn at the Bowman Restaurant in Carney, MD. I grew up in Carney which is in Baltimore County. You could take the old # 19 bus right down to Memorial Stadium.  

On 1/20/2016 at 6:14 PM, tomloge said:

I don't think Blanda ever punted much, especially during the Ray Guy era, but he was credited with 22 over his career. He also had 1 interception and two kickoff returns during his remarkable career, and was still carried as a QB on the Raiders' roster at age 48. 

I have been a Colts fan since I can remember and I can tell you what I was wearing watching "The Greatest Game Ever Played" because my dad took a picture of me with my face glued to the 27" Zenith we had. The picture in the article, isn't that Bobby Boyd #40 holding for Michaels? I never knew Namath did that in a bar and I have to wonder if he was just nuts or stoned to start stuff with Michaels. SB III still lingers in me as all my friends I watched with rooted for the Jets. Who was the receiver waiving his arms when he was all alone in the corner and Unitas did not see him? 

3 hours ago, King Colt said:

I have been a Colts fan since I can remember and I can tell you what I was wearing watching "The Greatest Game Ever Played" because my dad took a picture of me with my face glued to the 27" Zenith we had. The picture in the article, isn't that Bobby Boyd #40 holding for Michaels? I never knew Namath did that in a bar and I have to wonder if he was just nuts or stoned to start stuff with Michaels. SB III still lingers in me as all my friends I watched with rooted for the Jets. Who was the receiver waiving his arms when he was all alone in the corner and Unitas did not see him? 

Your family had a 27 inch TV 1958? Wow, your dad must have been rich? Most TVs in those days were 17 inch. We didn't even get a 19 inch till around 1962 or so. We didn't even have a color TV till around 1965 or so and that was because my grand mother bought it for the family for Christmas. There was very few color shows even on the air in those days. Bonanza, Disney's Wonderful World of Color are the only ones I can think of.

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 2:15 PM, crazycolt1 said:

Your family had a 27 inch TV 1958? Wow, your dad must have been rich? Most TVs in those days were 17 inch. We didn't even get a 19 inch till around 1962 or so. We didn't even have a color TV till around 1965 or so and that was because my grand mother bought it for the family for Christmas. There was very few color shows even on the air in those days. Bonanza, Disney's Wonderful World of Color are the only ones I can think of.

We also had a 12" Motorola solid wood casing that lasted until we threw it out, The zenith was on the fritz constantly, a *. I left home in 66 and my folks still never opted for color until ??.