Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Realistic Colts Mock Draft

I've been reading plenty of mock drafts, and this draft is based on where most players are going...

1- (Indy trades 18th to Cincy for their 24th, 2nd round picks)

- CB Mackensie Alexander (I've seen mocks where he is drafted top 15, but I've also seen plenty of mocks where he is drafted late 1st. Nevertheless, he would come in and challenge to start opposite Davis right away, giving them a lethal CB combo if he pans out. We all forget about Djoun Smith too who should be back at full speed and the kid has talent also.)

2- OLB Noah Spence (He could easily drop to this spot due to some off field issues. Indy needs pass rush badly though, and with the right leadership in Pagano, Mathis, etc., hopefully they get the best out of him.)

2-(via trade) DT Sheldon Rankins (One of my favorite DTs in this draft, Rankins has drawn comparisons to Kawann Short from the Panthers. He has underrated pass rush ability, and is one of the better run stoppers in the draft. Indy needs more of this from the DL, especially improved pass rush. Steal here)

3- OT Kyle Murphy (Gives Indy their future RT. He may not start right away with Reitz still here, but could very well challenge Reitz by mid season to start at RT.)

4- RB Paul Perkins (May not be available here, but he is getting mocked in the 3-4 range. He is very explosive, and is great at pass catching out of the backfield, something Indy needs.)

5- ILB Reuben Foster (A better coverage ILB over Ragland, Foster has range and very good athleticism. He needs to improve his reads and fundamentals, but could challenge to start in a year or two.)

7- RB Leon Allen (Underrated RB with good between the tackles power. He could eventually develop into a good backup to Perkins.)

This would kick _!!!!!  Based on my opinions of these prospects. We'd have 4 guys who could come in and contribute right away in Alexander, Spence, Rankins, and Perkins. Alexander would start right away if we didn't sign a FA corner. If we do sign 1 he'd be the nickel. He'll have some growing pains as do most rookie CB's but I think he'll have a pretty good rookie year. Noah Spence is one of my favorite players in the entire draft. He could come in and put up 8-10 sacks next year. Rankins would be a nice rotational D-Lineman next year and hopefully end up as our long term answer opposite Henry Anderson. And I love Paul Perkins. He'd be an excellent back to pair with Gore. I like Leon Allen too in the 7th. He plays for WKU about an hour down the road from my house.

3 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I've been reading plenty of mock drafts, and this draft is based on where most players are going...

- CB Mackensie Alexander (I've seen mocks where he is drafted top 15, but I've also seen plenty of mocks where he is drafted late 1st. Nevertheless, he would come in and challenge to start opposite Davis right away, giving them a lethal CB combo if he pans out. We all forget about Djoun Smith too who should be back at full speed and the kid has talent also.)

2- OLB Noah Spence (He could easily drop to this spot due to some off field issues. Indy needs pass rush badly though, and with the right leadership in Pagano, Mathis, etc., hopefully they get the best out of him.)

2-(via trade) DT Sheldon Rankins (One of my favorite DTs in this draft, Rankins has drawn comparisons to Kawann Short from the Panthers. He has underrated pass rush ability, and is one of the better run stoppers in the draft. Indy needs more of this from the DL, especially improved pass rush. Steal here)

3- OT Kyle Murphy (Gives Indy their future RT. He may not start right away with Reitz still here, but could very well challenge Reitz by mid season to start at RT.)

4- RB Paul Perkins (May not be available here, but he is getting mocked in the 3-4 range. He is very explosive, and is great at pass catching out of the backfield, something Indy needs.)

5- ILB Reuben Foster (A better coverage ILB over Ragland, Foster has range and very good athleticism. He needs to improve his reads and fundamentals, but could challenge to start in a year or two.)

7- RB Leon Allen (Underrated RB with good between the tackles power. He could eventually develop into a good backup to Perkins.)

A number of issues....   first, I don't see Cincy trading a #2 to move up just 6 spots.   

And I'm not sure Murphy will be there in the 3rd round...  that pick would be around 81st, give or take.   I think there's a decent chance he's gone before that....

5 hours ago, crestmount said:

Like Alexander and Spence, but we desperately need to address the O-line--at least a Center and Guard are essential  If Kelly is still available at 18 I would take him, and then take Spence in the 2nd rd

No way Kelly is worth a 1st at center. Free agency would be the better way to solve OG and C. This draft is rich with defensive talent and Indy must get younger and more talented there. 

Would anyone here take Derrick Henry if he falls to 48 in the draft. I doubt that he will fall that far and I know about the general feelings about Alabama running backs. If he is available there, I would rather see the team take him and let Gore go. We need to get younger and save money. This would be a great place to start.

5 hours ago, BProland85 said:

No way Kelly is worth a 1st at center. Free agency would be the better way to solve OG and C. This draft is rich with defensive talent and Indy must get younger and more talented there. 

We need to get younger all over the field.  FA is not the answer for the O-line, unless you want older guys with injury issues (Mack--assuming he seeks a release))

13 minutes ago, crestmount said:

We need to get younger all over the field.  FA is not the answer for the O-line, unless you want older guys with injury issues (Mack--assuming he seeks a release))

That's silly.  Last year we started a LG in his 2nd year (sometimes at RT!), a center and RG in their 2nd years, and for a few games a rookie UCFA at RT and a 3rd-year center.  We don't have a great need to get younger on the OL!  If anything, we should get older (more veteran).  I personally wouldn't favor Mack (too expensive, and the injuries) or Wiesniewski (career underperformer, albeit a talented one), so I'd target a young center (Nick Martin) in the draft.  But I'd love to get a consistent veteran RG to start ahead of Thornton and shore up the interior. (Brandon Brooks would be my #1 FA target this year.)

Well, if you're replying to me, I'd say that Brooks is not a FA guard who wasn't worth keeping.  For centers, I'm right with you: centers who have to know the O well enough to make the line calls don't want to leave and learn a new system.  Similarly, teams with a top-notch center really don't want to have to teach the system to a new guy in the hopes that he can do well right off the bat.  That usually serves to keep most of the top centers off the market.  However, top OGs are more fungible, and they come and go more often.  As far as Brooks goes, some have criticized the Texans for not locking him up in an extension last year, and he's definitely one of top OGs on the market IMO.  Reasons he might want to leave: 1) he's from Milwaukee; 2) his team has lost out to the Colts due to inferior QB play, which will resume next year (unless some miracle happens for Houston); and 3) $$$$$.

I'd probably take either Martin or Kelly in the 2nd as it stands, but Martin looked fantastic to me in his bowl game, whereas Kelly had a really tough time run-blocking against Clemson.  Just two games, though, and Kelly had the much tougher opponent.

16 hours ago, BProland85 said:

The trade is just silliness.
 The trade value chart has SOME relevance!!

21 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I tell you another DT I like in the 3rd-4th rounds. Look no farther than Notre Dame. Sheldon Day. He's undersized at something like 6'1 285 but from what I've seen of him I think he has tons of potential.

The DT I'd really like outside of obviously A'Sawn Robinson is Andrew Billings from Baylor. That dude is a monster and has a mean bull rush. Can get off blocks and has pretty good awareness. But he's a guy that probably won't last till the 3rd where I think woukd be the earliest well look at DT. Unless AShawn falls to us 18.

7 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Why is getting a 2nd after moving down 6 spots ridiculous? 

As stated above, you're proposing a trade where Cincinnati gives up 340 value points and gains only 160 by moving up from 24 to 18.  The more realistic trade would be getting their 3rd rounder (150 value points) plus maybe a lower round pick.

Here is the trade value chart.

7 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Why is getting a 2nd after moving down 6 spots ridiculous? 

PonyBoy has given you the breakdown.    And this is according to the draft pick value chart.

And here's the chart with 2016 draft picks slotted with team....    we'd get a #3 for moving down 6 spots, not a #2.

http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

On 1/19/2016 at 10:14 PM, BProland85 said:

Two things

1. Did you just create it on your own or did you use a simulator

2. All the picks are fine but Mackenzie Alexander is the only one I'm doubtful of. I've seen a lot of reports saying he isn't fluid enough and he's grading out to be a day 2 pick