Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Good position to trade down?

9 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

With the bills and the jets both needed a long term QB picking right behind us, and the Texans picking shortly after, could Indy be a spot where Houston or the Jets wanna move up to get a QB? Just speculation of course. 

It gives us a possible way to trade down for sure. I would definitely think about it. A guy like Jack Conklin, IMO, will go in the 20s. If we can trade down with the Texans, we may be able to get a 3rd and also take Conklin. That would be best case scenario IMO.

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It gives us a possible way to trade down for sure. I would definitely think about it. A guy like Jack Conklin, IMO, will go in the 20s. If we can trade down with the Texans, we may be able to get a 3rd and also take Conklin. That would be best case scenario IMO.

Or indy could trade down a few spots and still land a future star in Jaylon smith. But I'm all for acquiring extra picks to fill this roster. 

Just now, BProland85 said:

Or indy could trade down a few spots and still land a future star in Jaylon smith. But I'm all for acquiring extra picks to fill this roster. 

That would work well also, get Jaylon and have an extra 3rd so you aren't losing much talent with Jaylon out the 1st year. Pick your player correctly, and we could be fine in 2016 without Jaylon, and in SB contention in 2017 when he's fully healthy. Obviously, it's a bigger risk, but it could pay off more in the long run. All depends on who gets chosen where before our 1st pick.

49 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

With the bills and the jets both needed a long term QB picking right behind us, and the Texans picking shortly after, could Indy be a spot where Houston or the Jets wanna move up to get a QB? Just speculation of course. 

bills and jets are both set at QB for now, they arnt trading up for someone to ride the bench.  also, i doubt the colts would want to trade with the texans unless they made an offer we couldn't refuse, which they wouldnt do, they hate us

We can all speculate or guess about trading up or down but even that is what it is. All this would depend on who was taken before the Colts pick. If they were waiting for one player and he was gone, trading down might be an option. With the needs this teams does need I don't see them trading up and trading much needed picks away.

Just now, COLTS449 said:

Possibly. If we could trade down a few spots and pick up an extra 3rd while still getting Spence or Floyd then it would be perfect.

1st is too early for Spence IMO, even if he's a solid pass rusher, he has concerns and may fall to the 2nd. I think there are lots of players better than him at 18. If we traded down 8-10 spots and got a 2nd, I wouldn't mind Spence in the late 1st, but 18 is too early. Floyd I'd be all over at 18 though.

28 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

We can all speculate or guess about trading up or down but even that is what it is. All this would depend on who was taken before the Colts pick. If they were waiting for one player and he was gone, trading down might be an option. With the needs this teams does need I don't see them trading up and trading much needed picks away.

the team will ALWAYS have needs. That's not an excuse to not trade up. If there's a guy in range that you think will dramatically change the defense, you should absolutely trade up (EDIT, if you think the talent that wI'll be there at 18 arent worth the pick and justifies a trade down). In that case, there's nothing wrong with trading up or down, but when you need game changers, trading up is just as acceptable. It's not a perfect analogy, but it's the difference between having a water balloon and several smaller water guns. You can always miss, but if you hit, the water balloon is going to be more devastating. It just depends on what your draft board is like, the grades, and who goes in front of you.

But if there was ever a year I would trade up in the first, it's this year.

11 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

1st is too early for Spence IMO, even if he's a solid pass rusher, he has concerns and may fall to the 2nd. I think there are lots of players better than him at 18. If we traded down 8-10 spots and got a 2nd, I wouldn't mind Spence in the late 1st, but 18 is too early. Floyd I'd be all over at 18 though.

I got ya. The combine is going to be huge for him. It could decide if he's a 1st, 2nd or maybe even a 3rd rounder. There's also a possibility he test out of the water and be gone before we even pick at 18. It would be absolutely awesome if we got him in the 2nd. IMO he's the best EDGE rusher In this class.

4 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

the team will ALWAYS have needs. That's not an excuse to not trade up. If there's a guy in range that you think will dramatically change the defense, you should absolutely trade up (EDIT, if you think the talent that wI'll be there at 18 arent worth the pick and justifies a trade down). In that case, there's nothing wrong with trading up or down, but when you need game changers, trading up is just as acceptable. It's not a perfect analogy, but it's the difference between having a water balloon and several smaller water guns. You can always miss, but if you hit, the water balloon is going to be more devastating. It just depends on what your draft board is like, the grades, and who goes in front of you.

But if there was ever a year I would trade up in the first, it's this year.

Like I said. Speculation.

7 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

The answer is always "it depends." I would even consider trading up this year. If we had to trade, say, a 2017 2nd and 2016 3rd or 4th to move up 8-10 spots, I totally would if the right guy is there.

I'm not sure there's a player in this draft worth trading our #2 next year for.

So far,  this draft does not appear all that special.

10 hours ago, BProland85 said:

You see the Bills picking a QB in the first?

5 minutes ago, Mjølner said:

BProland bases his whole argument on the suggestion that they'll move up for a QB tho.

Unrelated, DL - Really? Elaborate

Rex Ryan is the coach They allowed over 20+ points in every game but 2 30pts in 4 games. The  D needs work. Nkemdeche is likely to fall right into Rex's lap after his problem. That Defense didn't play well this year. Rex won't like that. It all starts in the trenches. He will want help on D in the 1st. 

12 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I was more adressing the part where you said "I don't see them trading up and trading much needed picks away."  that's crap...we're not playing grabass..

Are you really taking it that serious? The super bowl hasn't even been played yet and you are worried about draft picks and if we are going to trade up or down? None of us knows what the FO is going to do. It makes no difference one way or another. To get bent over it is useless. The Colts are going to do what they want regardless of what you or me think.

16 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I'd prefer not to trade down in the first.

If we trade down about 5 spots in the 2nd round,  we could pick up a 4th round pick. 

I'd much rather do that.      First round?     No.      2nd round,  yes.     3rd round,  OK.

But we earned the 18th spot,  so I'd rather keep it.

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Are you really taking it that serious? The super bowl hasn't even been played yet and you are worried about draft picks and if we are going to trade up or down? None of us knows what the FO is going to do. It makes no difference one way or another. To get bent over it is useless. The Colts are going to do what they want regardless of what you or me think.

Why are you even in this section if you get so butthurt over speculation? That's all this section is. 

2 hours ago, Dustin said:

Why are you even in this section if you get so butthurt over speculation? That's all this section is. 

Why are you asking me a stupid question?  If my comment needs explanation to you there is not much I can say to you to make it any clearer.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Why are you asking me a stupid question?  If my comment needs explanation to you there is not much I can say to you to make it any clearer.

"I come to a draft forum and get mad over speculation" -you

*comes to the draft section and gets mad people are talking about draft picks* -you

I don't see the Jets trading up 2 spots for our pick nor do I see the Bills trading up 1 spot for our pick. There isn't a high probability that we would draft someone they Really want.

For the Bills to trade up 1 spot it's 25 points. That's their 6th & 7th Rd picks with #19. 

For the Jets to trade up 2 spots to us is only worth 50 points. That's their 5th & 6th Rd picks with their #20 pick to move up 2 spots.

It doesn't make sense!  

Neither of these scenarios is logical...

If we trade down to #25 then we would pick up their 3rd & 4th Rd picks, but then we could lose out on picking someone that could be Elite (even though he injured his knee and won't play next season).

18 minutes ago, Dustin said:

"I come to a draft forum and get mad over speculation" -you

*comes to the draft section and gets mad people are talking about draft picks* -you

First of all no one was mad at anything.  If my comments are not up to you liking use your ignore. It's easy if you look for it.

14 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I'm not taking it that serious in that I'm offended. Maybe I should have been better about my word choice, so for that I apologize. But what's the point of talking about the draft if you're against speculating? Of course none of us know what the FO will do, that doesn't mean its off limits.  If you don't want to speculate, maybe this isn't the section for you.

Just now, OffensivelyPC said:

I'm not taking it that serious in that I'm offended. Maybe I should have been better about my word choice, so for that I apologize. But what's the point of talking about the draft if you're against speculating? Of course none of us know what the FO will do, that doesn't mean its off limits.  If you don't want to speculate, maybe this isn't the section for you.

You don't have to apologize. Any reasonable person knew what you meant. 

17 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm not sure there's a player in this draft worth trading our #2 next year for.

So far,  this draft does not appear all that special.

There's no far and away elite player, but they would not be available anyway. there are a handful of guys that I think we could move up and get if they were in range and I wouldon't be disappointed.

1 hour ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I'm not against speculation. That is exactly what I said. It's all speculation. Some act like they have a problem with me saying that. We can make 100 pages dedicated to the draft and not one of them really mean anything but speculation or opinions. What is so wrong with me saying that? You get offended at that?

7 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I'm not against speculation. That is exactly what I said. It's all speculation. Some act like they have a problem with me saying that. We can make 100 pages dedicated to the draft and not one of them really mean anything but speculation or opinions. What is so wrong with me saying that? You get offended at that?

Ive already said im not offended. What does offend me is you telling me im offended when i just told you i wasnt.

Also, I don't have a problem with you saying it. But it's implicit in every post, it doesn't need to be said. You might as well have just said "whatever." If it's not dismissive, it's at least annoying to take the time out and talk to someone that appears genuine to just have them close off the conversation simply because we aren't the one pulling the trigger on draft day. 

30 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

What your trying to do is discourage people about talking about the draft just because we can't control what will happen. Just because you don't want to discuss it, doesn't give you the right to censor us. You did the same thing anytime people talked about Grigson a little while back.

2 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Ive already said im not offended. What does offend me is you telling me im offended when i just told you i wasnt.

Also, I don't have a problem with you saying it. But it's implicit in every post, it doesn't need to be said. You might as well have just said "whatever." If it's not dismissive, it's at least annoying to take the time out and talk to someone that appears genuine to just have them close off the conversation simply because we aren't the one pulling the trigger on draft day. 

I think both of us were taken out of context in what we meant. Sorry bout the miscommunication on my side. Water under the bridge.

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

What your trying to do is discourage people about talking about the draft just because we can't control what will happen. Just because you don't want to discuss it, doesn't give you the right to censor us. You did the same thing anytime people talked about Grigson a little while back.

Wow, you give me too much credit. I made a simple statement, that is all. I was trying to discourage? Are you really that soft? I was censoring you? I didn't know I had that kind of power? Who knew?

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

Wow, you give me too much credit. I made a simple statement, that is all. I was trying to discourage? Are you really that soft? I was censoring you? I didn't know I had that kind of power? Who knew?

I'm not soft at all, I'm the least PC person in the world, I'm up for offending anyone. You just have these weird episodes where you go crazy and try to boss people around at times. You did it last year with your infatuation with Grigson when people were ripping him apart after the draft and free agency, and now you are saying not to talk about the draft because we can't predict it in a draft forum. You seem like you are bipolar at times.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm not soft at all, I'm the least PC person in the world, I'm up for offending anyone. You just have these weird episodes where you go crazy and try to boss people around at times. You did it last year with your infatuation with Grigson when people were ripping him apart after the draft and free agency, and now you are saying not to talk about the draft because we can't predict it in a draft forum. You seem like you are bipolar at times.

Because I stood up for Grigson? Speaking my mind is not bossing anyone around. I am sorry you take my comments that way. It is not intended. Where did I say not to talk about anything? You put too much into it.

16 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Because I stood up for Grigson? Speaking my mind is not bossing anyone around. I am sorry you take my comments that way. It is not intended. Where did I say not to talk about anything? You put too much into it.

You were basically going crazy telling PC not to take it serious about trading for picks. You do speak your mind, and usually when you disagree with someone,you'll go on a multi-paragraph rant about why they are wrong. Your most famous thing is "Grigson got us 3 11-5 seasons and farther in the playoffs every year about 50 times", then when people are rightfully mad about a terrible season, you are telling them it's not bad and other rubbish throughout the season. You don't need to constantly tear down people. You are a good poster, if you have a problem, don't say that we shouldn't talk about a subject, just ignore the thread. You won't share the same opinion with everyone, and you can't change everyone's mind.