Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Addressing pass rush

What does everyone think about this. Most of us agree its the main hole we have to fill. So what does everyone think would be the best way to go about it? Obviously if Miller hits the open market we should go all in for him, but if he doesn't then what? Tamba Hali? Bruce Irvin? Demarcus Ware will probably be cut in order for Denver to bring back their main guys/ Plus they have Ray and Barrett who's ready to step in and start. IMO if we cant get Miller I think we need to sign either Hali or Ware (again, assuming he's cut) Then also spend our 1st round pick on a pass rusher. Noah Spence is my choice. And I think between Spence, Hali or Ware, and Mathis coming back fully healthy, our pass rush could actually be a strength. Thoughts?

I would hate to see the Colts add to a surplus of aging pass rushers! They should at least make a play for V.Miller, but a Suh type contract would be ridiculous IMO. First priority is to protect the prize and second add pieces to the defense.

Hali's been way better than a guy like Trent Cole. I'm pretty sure he graded out as a top 10 EDGE rusher this season. I think he would be a pretty good signing. But like I said if we do that we also need to draft a pass rusher in the 1st. And yes. If Mille hits the open market we should sign him at all cost. He's one of the best at his position. He's young. And OLB is our biggest weakness. He could be a key to us winning a couple SB's in the next 4-5 years. I wouldn't mind Bruce Irvin either because I think he would thrive in our scheme. Him being the main guy I could see him putting up 10 plus sacks. Plus he's that nasty, in your face type defensive player I've been saying we needed.

45 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Then also spend our 1st round pick on a pass rusher. Noah Spence is my choice.

I responded to you in another thread regarding Spence, but didn't get an answer, so I'll try again here. 

Spence intrigues me a lot as well. However, will he actually be a first round pick though? Have not seen anyone mock him him in the first round yet.

47 minutes ago, Mjølner said:

I responded to you in another thread regarding Spence, but didn't get an answer, so I'll try again here. 

Spence intrigues me a lot as well. However, will he actually be a first round pick though? Have not seen anyone mock him him in the first round yet.

I mean its early. Very early. But as of now he's projected as a 1st or 2nd rounder. But his combine could change things for the good or bad. Not only the drills, but Interviews, drug test, etc. He's had issues with addiction but from what I understand he's straightened out and is clean. He was young and made some mistakes like a lot of others. As for his play on the field. Its my opinion that he's the best pass rusher in this class. But if he stays out of trouble from now on and has a good combine then he'll definitely be a first round pick IMO. I think he'll be a double digit sack OLB for the next several years. He has the ability to step in immediately and contribute.

42 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Who we want as a pass rush guy may depend entirely on who we hire as a HC and what type of defense does he prefer?

If it's a 3-4,  then an OLB.     If it's a 4-3,  then a DE.

Perhaps we'll know later today,  or perhaps we'll know in a week or two?

Good point. But I hope we stay with the 3-4 myself. We have the personal and we're just missing a key piece or 2 from having a really good front 7 IMO.

Just now, COLTS449 said:

I mean its early. Very early. But as of now he's projected as a 1st or 2nd rounder. But his combine could change things for the good or bad. Not only the drills, but Interviews, drug test, etc. He's had issues with addiction but from what I understand he's straightened out and is clean. He was young and made some mistakes like a lot of others. As for his play on the field. Its my opinion that he's the best pass rusher in this class. But if he stays out of trouble from now on and has a good combine then he'll definitely be a first round pick IMO. I think as long as he stays out of trouble he'll be a double digit sack OLB for the next several years IMO. He has the ability to step in immediately and contribute.

I agree with you on most parts. I know little to nothing of scouting, but looking at the tape of the different EDGE rushers for the upcoming draft, he looks far better than any of the others in my opinion as well. This might be stretching it - But I think even his 2013 tape does. BUT still, there is the obvious drug problem.. Are there players that have had similar paths in the same position we could compare him to in regards to his draft stock?

His attitude seems good, and it seems as if he's been able to stay out of trouble all year at EK. Especially liked his approach to the drug testing at EK and how highly both the EK coach and Urban Meyer thought of him. I liked this article quite a bit - http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/ohio-state-buckeyes-noah-spence-dl-eastern-kentucky-colonels-ecstasy-addiction-comeback-102015

1 hour ago, Mjølner said:

I agree with you on most parts. I know little to nothing of scouting, but looking at the tape of the different EDGE rushers for the upcoming draft, he looks far better than any of the others in my opinion as well. This might be stretching it - But I think even his 2013 tape does. BUT still, there is the obvious drug problem.. Are there players that have had similar paths in the same position we could compare him to in regards to his draft stock?

His attitude seems good, and it seems as if he's been able to stay out of trouble all year at EK. Especially liked his approach to the drug testing at EK and how highly both the EK coach and Urban Meyer thought of him. I liked this article quite a bit - http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/ohio-state-buckeyes-noah-spence-dl-eastern-kentucky-colonels-ecstasy-addiction-comeback-102015

I've been trying to think. I know there has been but I cant think right now lol. Gregory's issues was completely different IMO. He'd had multiple issues and failed his combine drug test. Spence's situation isn't anything like that.

On 1/4/2016 at 4:46 PM, COLTS449 said:

I've been trying to think. I know there has been but I cant think right now lol. Gregory's issues was completely different IMO. He'd had multiple issues and failed his combine drug test. Spence's situation isn't anything like that.

Agreed.. Let me know if you think of someone though!

On 1/4/2016 at 3:30 PM, COLTS449 said:

Good point. But I hope we stay with the 3-4 myself. We have the personal and we're just missing a key piece or 2 from having a really good front 7 IMO.

Actually we don`t have any of the OLB or ILB for a top defense, are missing a #2 corner and have 1 young safety to throw in their going forward. Yee haa!

28 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Actually we don`t have any of the OLB or ILB for a top defense, are missing a #2 corner and have 1 young safety to throw in their going forward. Yee haa!

You don't think if we added a premier pass rusher and a really good corner to pair with Vontae we could have a top 10 D? We probably still need an upgrade at ILB. But still, IMO just with a elite level pass rusher and a really good CB I think we could very well have a top 10 D. That was my point BBZ. We're missing a KEY piece or 2. Bring in a corner like Sean Smith and a pass rusher who can put consistent pressure on opposing QB's and post double digit sack numbers and I think we are looking at a top 10 defense. JMO