Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Time to go get a proven SB caliber coach...

bluephantom87

4 minutes ago, bababooey said:

I think being away he's been able to look from the outside and see how he could change things. We all are more wiser as we grow I hope. All coaches know X's and O's, and some are just on another level. The difference between Bill Belichick and whoever the Browns are gonna hire for the next 2 seasons. Are there any tangible reasons that you disagree?

Well for one,    he hasn't been away.    He is the DC for 49ers.     

It's not that I disagree.  I don't know.    And I don't speculate about things that no one who has never met them could possibly know

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

Well for one,    he hasn't been away.    He is the DC for 49ers.     

It's not that I disagree.  I don't know.    And I don't speculate about things that no one who has never met them could possibly know

He was 8-3 before Favre got injured and missed the playoffs in a fluky, strong year from the AFC East. He's been out of the HC spotlight which is different than DC. We give up by far the most blowouts and 40 point games of all the playoff teams during this era. Trying to temper our expectations since we aren't going to get the Meyer, Saban, Harbaugh from college, and it's unlikely we get a SB winning coach like Payton or Coughlin

Here is your list of coaches who have been to the SB with 2 different teams.

Don Shua - Colts Lost SB III

Dolphins Won SB VII & VIII

Lost SB VI & XVII

Bill Parcells - Giants Won SB XXI & XXV

Pats Lost SB XXXI

Dan Reeves - Broncos Lost SB XXI, XXII, XXIV

Falcons Lost SB XXXIII

Dick Vermeil - Eagles Lost SB XV

Rams Won SB XXXIV

Mike Holmgren - Packers Won SB XXXI

Lost SB XXXII

Seahawks Lost SB XL

John Fox - Panthers Lost SB XXXVIII

Broncos Lost SB XLVIII

No one has won it with 2 teams.  If we are looking for a HC who's won the SB with the hopes that he can do it again with the Colts. . . I don't think it's a good idea because it's never happened before.  

Just now, Valpo2004 said:

Lost SB VI & XVII

Pats Lost SB XXXI

Falcons Lost SB XXXIII

Rams Won SB XXXIV

Lost SB XXXII

Seahawks Lost SB XL

Broncos Lost SB XLVIII

No one has won it with 2 teams.

That really is irrelevant.  I know you keep posting it.  But it doesn't mean anything.   Lots of things never happened until they actually did. 

5 playoff appearances in 12 years

Yes ok...

Chuck has 3 appearances in 4 years.....but no superbowls. Coughlin has 2 superbowls in 5 tries...that's pretty good I totally agree. But he hasn't been really great since his last Super Bowl....I just don't think he can cut it anymore IMO. Again, years ago I'd say I'd love to have him...but not today. Just my little tiny worthless opinion :)

Just now, bababooey said:

Wow, when you say it like that it's almost as if that's not the best in the NFL minus the Steelers and Patriots in that span.

I'm not knocking the guy.  But 5 playoff appearances in 12 years isn't great.  They got hot twice. 

Just now, jvan1973 said:

I'm not knocking the guy.  But 5 playoff appearances in 12 years isn't great.  They got hot twice. 

That's all that matters. They do invent ways to lose but when things were good they were great. The NFC East over that span is better than we give them credit for and they have been decimated by injuries (5th most injured team of the last 5 years, we are first). They've lost in some heartbreaking ways this year (Cowboys, Falcons, Jets, Patriots, Panthers). All had ONE play that if different would have been a win. They also lost a division title on a punt return in week 17 to Philly. All NFC East teams have had up and down years over that time.

2 superbowls in 12 years

Bill B has 4 but in 14 years

Chuck Knoll 4 in 23 years

Joe Gibbs 3 in 26 years

Don Shula 2 in 33 years

wins and losses are only a small part in a coaches ability to coach

3 hours ago, bababooey said:

Payton wants the Giants most I hear. No thanks for the 2nd round pick and 8 million price tag.

Every time a coaching gig opens in NYC (Jersey) it's always cast as the #1 destination.  Not sure I actually believe it.

3 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Lost SB VI & XVII

Pats Lost SB XXXI

Falcons Lost SB XXXIII

Rams Won SB XXXIV

Lost SB XXXII

Seahawks Lost SB XL

Broncos Lost SB XLVIII

No one has won it with 2 teams.  If we are looking for a HC who's won the SB with the hopes that he can do it again with the Colts. . . I don't think it's a good idea because it's never happened before.  

Most SB winning head coaches don't go to another team with a quality QB.   I'm thinking if BB quit tomorrow and was handed the Green Bay job he would do well.

36 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Every time a coaching gig opens in NYC (Jersey) it's always cast as the #1 destination.  Not sure I actually believe it.

You could win with Eli and Odell just need to retool the defense and pray for less injuries. Winning in NY is just different than anywhere else.

1 minute ago, bababooey said:

You could win with Eli and Odell just need to retool the defense and pray for less injuries. Winning in NY is just different than anywhere else.

Eli is 35.  

Other than the cool ticker tape parade it's no different.

3 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Eli is 35.  

Other than the cool ticker tape parade it's no different.

If you're not from here you won't understand so I can't blame you. Winning in NY is a lot different compared to Indiana or Jacksonville. NY is still a top coaching spot despite Eli's age.

2 minutes ago, bababooey said:

If you're not from here you won't understand so I can't blame you. Winning in NY is a lot different compared to Indiana or Jacksonville. NY is still a top coaching spot despite Eli's age.

You have convinced me. There is something special in the jersey air.

16 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

That really is irrelevant.  I know you keep posting it.  But it doesn't mean anything.   Lots of things never happened until they actually did. 

My point is that getting a proven SB head coach has historically shown to lot lead to SB wins.  

20 hours ago, DalTXColtsFan said:

2014 SB winner - Belichick (proven coach)

2013 SB winner - Carroll (had never done squat in the NFL)

2012 SB winner - John Harbaugh (in his 5th season of his first NFL coaching job)

2011 SB winner - Tom Coughlin (who had won one Super Bowl)

2010 SB winner - Mike McCarthy (in the 5th year of his first NFL coaching job)

2009 SB winner - Sean Payton (in the 4th year of his first NFL coaching job, had missed playoffs previous 2 years)

2008 SB winner - Mike Tomlin (rookie HC in second season

2007 SB winner - Tom Coughlin (in previous 11 years as a coach had 6 playoff-bound teams, 5 losing records and two championship game appearances)

2006 SB winner - Tony Dungy (who had a wide reputation as a postseason choker incapable of getting a team over the hump)

2005 SB winner - Bill Cowher (who in 14 years as a coach had one SB appearance and several AFFCG appearances)

2004, 2003, 2001 SB champion - Belichik - had never won anything in the NFL

2002 - Gruden - had extremely talented teams for several years in Oakland and could never get them over the hump - his OC takes over his job and gets the team to the Super Bowl he COULDN'T get to the superbowl)

Please, tell me more about how the secret to winning a Super Bowl is go out and get a proven, SuperBowl-winning coach.

How well did Shanahan do with the Broncos?

Good Post, I was in for a 'proven winner' as well.  Thing is there has to be someone better available...perhaps that wasn't possible or too risky.  Admittedly I agree with the idea of continuity.  My main issue was with Pep and Grigson's choice of Dorsett.  Both are water under the bridge, at this point.  These guys do play hard for Chuck and hopefully Grigson will prioritize the trenches.  I think we'd be wise to keep Chud as well, if this staff is going to make it happen, I think more time together is a good thing.  Just kinda thinking out loud....