Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Draft Order

Hey everyone, I know it is two games early, but since Andrew has been ruled out next week at Miami, I don't see any reason not to shelve him for the season. Texans have a 90% chance of winning division now. I don't see Hasselback being able to play either, so we go with Whitehurst, which maybe he could beat Tenn. the last game, but I hope not. I know I should always want the win, but I am looking at draft order.

If we stay at 6 wins, I believe we could actually have a top 10 pick, possibly the ninth. I have looked at all the teams who have 5-6 winds, and their schedule. The one thing we have going for us is there are quite a few teams with 5-6 wins, 11 to be exact. Six teams with 4 wins or less, so 17th pick is the worst I can see as our pick, but we have some things going for us. We should have a very low SOS (strength of schedule) due to our divisions and the divisions we played. So we realistically could have a top 10 pick, and I need something good to come out of this terrible season. With cap space after many of the high priced FA busts go, we need to get some quality OL. In the draft, focus on defense, starting with ILB, please Jaylon Smith please. The only question is will the new coach be 3-4, or 4-3?

Am I wrong to be hoping for a higher draft pick now, and although two weeks away, does anyone see a fault with a prediction of a Top 10?

29 minutes ago, loudnproudcolt said:

Hey everyone, I know it is two games early, but since Andrew has been ruled out next week at Miami, I don't see any reason not to shelve him for the season. Texans have a 90% chance of winning division now. I don't see Hasselback being able to play either, so we go with Whitehurst, which maybe he could beat Tenn. the last game, but I hope not. I know I should always want the win, but I am looking at draft order.

If we stay at 6 wins, I believe we could actually have a top 10 pick, possibly the ninth. I have looked at all the teams who have 5-6 winds, and their schedule. The one thing we have going for us is there are quite a few teams with 5-6 wins, 11 to be exact. Six teams with 4 wins or less, so 17th pick is the worst I can see as our pick, but we have some things going for us. We should have a very low SOS (strength of schedule) due to our divisions and the divisions we played. So we realistically could have a top 10 pick, and I need something good to come out of this terrible season. With cap space after many of the high priced FA busts go, we need to get some quality OL. In the draft, focus on defense, starting with ILB, please Jaylon Smith please. The only question is will the new coach be 3-4, or 4-3?

Am I wrong to be hoping for a higher draft pick now, and although two weeks away, does anyone see a fault with a prediction of a Top 10?

I posted this in another thread today.....

But I think the odds of getting a top-10 pick are very small.

Currently,  there are 11 teams with 5 or fewer wins.     And another 7 (including the Colts)  with 6 wins.

Even if we lose our remaining two games,  I think the odds are much better that our draft position will be in the teens and not any lower.     It's possible we could finish in 10-12 range.    And even less possible of a top-10.

But all in all, I think the odds are long that we'll end up with a top-10 pick.    I hope I'm wrong,  but not expecting that........

We'll know more in two weeks.

If we really did get the 12th pick, we could potentially have someone like Myles Jack of UCLA or Jack Conklin of Michigan St. on the board. I'm not saying throw the Dolphins game while there's still a chance, but I am saying if we lose the Dolphins game why not just roll with Whitehurst for week 17? Take the offseason to add to the defense and the O-line, hope for better health next season, and maybe be in the running for a super bowl again. 

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

If we end up 6-10 we should be picking no lower than 12. Strength of schedule is a big factor here and the Colts have a very low strength of schedule. 

12 is a nice spot. We could get Jaylon Smith there. But some good edge rushers like Ogbah and  Lawson might be there. Could also get Andrew Billings, and some other nice prospects. 15 wouldn't be terrible either.

But it's also a nice spot to be in for teams who wanna move up.

2 hours ago, Track Guy said:

If we really did get the 12th pick, we could potentially have someone like Myles Jack of UCLA or Jack Conklin of Michigan St. on the board. I'm not saying throw the Dolphins game while there's still a chance, but I am saying if we lose the Dolphins game why not just roll with Whitehurst for week 17? Take the offseason to add to the defense and the O-line, hope for better health next season, and maybe be in the running for a super bowl again. 

Myles Jack would be very nice. From what I've heard and read, I believe Conkilin is staying in school.

5 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

After the combine he will be a 1st, or 2nd rounder just wait and see...If we can get him in 2nd it'd be glorious. ....

I like your enthusiasm. Last year I was very much caught up in the Chuck Norris "Oakman" internet hype however watching him play he is very awkward running and gets handled very easily by OL for my taste. We will be better served with an Rush OLB that is fast, athletic and high motor.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

12 is a nice spot. We could get Jaylon Smith there. But some good edge rushers like Ogbah and  Lawson might be there. Could also get Andrew Billings, and some other nice prospects. 15 wouldn't be terrible either.

But it's also a nice spot to be in for teams who wanna move up.

Jaylon Smith is so much better than those other prospects you named. Lawson is not a 1st round pick at this point. And I'm not big on Billings. I like Sheldon Rankins and Vernon Butler in rounds 2 and 3. 

11 hours ago, JRnINDY said:

Myles Jack would be very nice. From what I've heard and read, I believe Conkilin is staying in school.

Oh where did you hear that about Conklin? I've not seen anything one way or another on him except rotoworld claiming on Dec 11 that "all signs strongly point to Conklin declaring", which they cite as Josh Norris' opinion basically. 

47 minutes ago, Track Guy said:

Oh where did you hear that about Conklin? I've not seen anything one way or another on him except rotoworld claiming on Dec 11 that "all signs strongly point to Conklin declaring", which they cite as Josh Norris' opinion basically. 

Sorry, I miss read. He is likely to declare.

16 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

After the combine he will be a 1st, or 2nd rounder just wait and see...If we can get him in 2nd it'd be glorious. ....

I'm sorry,  but that's not going to happen.

Oakman had a terrible season.     He looks like Tarzan,  but plays like Jane.    He's got a D-line teammate,  Billings, who had a great year and will go in the first R.     But Oakman will not.    2nd round at best, and he might fall to the 3rd.

And, in an odd way,  doing great at the combine might not help him as much as anyone might think.   Because he didn't show it on the field.    The combine typically helps guys who look good on the field,  then they show great at the combine and their stock rises.

But if you're a bust on the field, and look good at the combine, a number of teams will simply roll their eyes.   Why didn't he look better in games?     That'll be the question.    Guys like Oakman get coaches fired.    Because a coach says he can turn this guy into a player -- then the guy flames out at the NFL level and the team doesn't improve.     This happens more than we'd like to think.

Look,  I hope I'm wrong about the kid...   I haven't read anything bad about him as a person, and he did come back for another year when he could've turned pro last year -- so he gets points for that.    But he had a very disappointing 2015........

Wish it wasn't so.......

I think people are starting to discount the combine a little more each year. It used to be if it was a blow away performance, they shot up the charts, and changed their draft status completely. Now it seems they may shoot up, but it is more like a shooting star unless it is backed by game tape.

I have always been a tape person. So many people are athletes, few can play in the NFL. Every year someone who has great tape is bypassed because of small things, and it comes back to bite people.

Ok, off on a tangent. Conklin, love the kid. He is tough, but the one thing I read consistently is he will be a very good RG, a mauler, but not athletic. I think he drops to early second very possibly, but he is worth a first rounder. You will never have to worry about his desire, and for some of these players, that is one of my main concerns. In addition, I think you need to look for system fits also, something we seem not to do at times!

As far as Jaylon Smith, he is the best LB out there, and he has great game tape, and after the combine, I am afraid his stock is going to shoot up. The only positive for us, LB's tend not to be drafted in the top 10. Kuechly was about as not miss as possible, and he was 10 or 12. Hopefully, with fingers crossed and saying a prayer, Jaylon will fall because of this reason, or teams looking for other needs on their team!

1 hour ago, loudnproudcolt said:

I think people are starting to discount the combine a little more each year. It used to be if it was a blow away performance, they shot up the charts, and changed their draft status completely. Now it seems they may shoot up, but it is more like a shooting star unless it is backed by game tape.

Byron Jones says hello.

NO...NO...NO..NO. Our D is bad, but our OL is getting us killed!! If we're a top 12 I'd rather trade down to the 20's range and pick up a OG and a good defensive player with the 2ed rounder we get.

1) Vadal Alexander, G, LSU

2) Desmond King, CB, Iowa (our own #2)

2b) Su'a Cravens, S/LB, USC

On December 23, 2015 at 8:33 AM, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah Oakman is trash. I remember an article where one area scout said he looked like a 5th round or later pick.

His tape is awful. For a guy his size he really doesn't take over games like you would expect.

Oakman is just a risky project pick, if you pick him it's cause of his rare physical traits. You certainly don't want to pick risky projects on the first day (except maybe at QB and even then it's tough to justify). 

On December 24, 2015 at 6:33 AM, ColtJax said:

NO...NO...NO..NO. Our D is bad, but our OL is getting us killed!! If we're a top 12 I'd rather trade down to the 20's range and pick up a OG and a good defensive player with the 2ed rounder we get.

Cravens would be great if we switched to a 4-3.

On December 24, 2015 at 2:33 AM, ColtJax said:

I don't think we need to go G in the 1st maybe if we are looking at T we use a first on O Line. I think Reitz and Castonzo are fine at T's. We can see how Good comes along or grab a T in the first.

I agree O Line is a priority. I want it fixed. I would look at FA. I would sign Wisenewski to play C. That's the biggest hole IMO. I don't want to hope we hit on a C. Holmes has to go. He can't stay healthy and isn't very good. We have messed around at C long enough. 

Bring in a guy like Mackenzy Benardeau who can play all 3 interior line positions to push at G spots and insure C. We have Heenan who we don't know what he is. We may still need a new RG. 

Draft Pyke to take over at RG. We can get him in the 2nd for sure probably the 3rd. 

We have to fix the pass rush and replace Toler too. Free Agent Wilkerson would be my top priority. He's our best chance at pressire from FA.

Bring in a CB but I am not sure about spending for a top FA. I'd look at the draft. Maybe sign Clairborne to a 1 yr deal see if a change helps him or another affordable vet.

I don't see any help in FA at OLB. We have to go to the draft. 

I like trading back. I don't think we are going to be in Smith or even Jack range. If we could get an extra 2nd nice. I think King goes in the 1st

I'd look 1st CB King Iowa 2nd DT Augusta Missouri  2nd OLB Ngakoue Maryland 3rd OG Pyke Georgia 

If you like you could go RT in the first or 2nd but I don't think we need to go G that early..  

Austin Blythe

Position C School Iowa

Height6' 3"Weight290 lbs

Class RS Senior Number

Jason Spriggs

Position OT School Indiana

Height6' 7"Weight305 lbs

Class Senior Number

Joshua Garnett

Position OG School  Stanford

Height6' 5"Weight325 lbs

ClassSeniorNumber51

need protect  luck first.

I want Jaylon Smith in the first by any means necessary. But with the news about Robert Nkemdiche. He could be the Randy Gregory of this draft. Except Robert Nkemdiche is going to be a force from day 1. He has the potential to be an elite defensive end. Like a Wilkerson type. I hope he falls to our pick in the 2nd. He'll definitely fall. The question is how far.

58 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I want Jaylon Smith in the first by any means necessary. But with the news about Robert Nkemdiche. He could be the Randy Gregory of this draft. Except Robert Nkemdiche is going to be a force from day 1. He has the potential to be an elite defensive end. Like a Wilkerson type. I hope he falls to our pick in the 2nd. He'll definitely fall. The question is how far.

I'd give up the 1st, and 2017 2nd to move up for Jaylon Smith but no more than that. We need as many draft picks as we can get to build this team on defense and infuse the team as a whole with young talent. I still feel like Jaylon will be drafted around pick 8 so we might not have to trade up much to get him.

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I'd give up the 1st, and 2017 2nd to move up for Jaylon Smith but no more than that. We need as many draft picks as we can get to build this team on defense and infuse the team as a whole with young talent. I still feel like Jaylon will be drafted around pick 8 so we might not have to trade up much to get him.

I think Jaylon Smith is going to be one of the best defensive players in the league from day 1. Jack would be a nice consolation prize though. Personally my hope is Jaylon Smith, Nick Martin, and CJ Prosise in the first 3 rounds. We can fix our needs for a dominant pass rusher and a CB to pair with Vontae in free agency.

54 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I think Jaylon Smith is going to be one of the best defensive players in the league from day 1. Jack would be a nice consolation prize though. Personally my hope is Jaylon Smith, Nick Martin, and CJ Prosise in the first 3 rounds. We can fix our needs for a dominant pass rusher and a CB to pair with Vontae in free agency.

Jaylon Smith is my #1 choice for round 1. But I'd also be happy with Vernon Hargreaves, Jalen Ramsey, and Myles Jack. I think if it was a decision between trading up and getting Smith or staying put and getting Hargreaves, I'm taking Hargreaves and keeping the extra draft pick. This team has so many defensive needs so getting a potential shutdown corner opposite Davis would be a nice consolation prize if Smith is gone.

8 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Who did you have in mind in FA? I don't see an Edge there and your spending a lot of money on those positions. Please don't tell me you wanna reach on Irvin. 

This draft is full of CB's and there are some pretty good options at Edge too. Floyd or Ngakoue would be my hopes.   

Those are positions you need to try to draft because the price is crazy on the open market.IMO

I would rather fix C with a FA. Focus on D in the draft. 

I'd love Jaylon in the 1st but I think he goes before we get close to picking.  Dallas or Chicago is my guess. 

10 hours ago, akcolt said:

Who did you have in mind in FA? I don't see an Edge there and your spending a lot of money on those positions. Please don't tell me you wanna reach on Irvin. 

This draft is full of CB's and there are some pretty good options at Edge too. Floyd or Ngakoue would be my hopes.   

Those are positions you need to try to draft because the price is crazy on the open market.IMO

I would rather fix C with a FA. Focus on D in the draft. 

I'd love Jaylon in the 1st but I think he goes before we get close to picking.  Dallas or Chicago is my guess. 

Man as far as edge rushers go the only free agent I'd want is Miller. And if he does hit the open market I think we need to go all in to sign him. But if not. We'd probably be better off using our 1st rounder on a pass rusher and signing Junior Galette to a 1year deal. I know he's had issues and that's one reason we could get him on a 1year deal. I just want a OLB who can put consistent pressure on the QB and put up double digit sacks. Or maybe we could look at Hardy. I don't know how well he'd do standing up though at 280.

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

Man as far as edge rushers go the only free agent I'd want is Miller. And if he does hit the open market I think we need to go all in to sign him. But if not. We'd probably be better off using our 1st rounder on a pass rusher and signing Junior Galette to a 1year deal. I know he's had issues and that's one reason we could get him on a 1year deal. I just want a OLB who can put consistent pressure on the QB and put up double digit sacks. Or maybe we could look at Hardy. I don't know how well he'd do standing up though at 280.

Not sure if you're aware.....   but Gallette hasn't played this year.

He tore his Achilles.       That, plus the fact that he's a bad guy, and terrible in the locker-room for me equals "no thanks!"

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not sure if you're aware.....   but Gallette hasn't played this year.

He tore his Achilles.       That, plus the fact that he's a bad guy, and terrible in the locker-room for me equals "no thanks!"

Yeah that's one of the reasons I said we could get him on a 1year deal. If it was cheap it couldn't hurt. He's still young and was just hitting his peak before he got injured. He should be back and 100% by next season. The injury happened before the season even started. Plus, like I said he's still in his 20s. And I know about his issues off the field, but IMO we just gotta find a guy who can get to the QB. Even though Mathis looked like his old self today lol.

3 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I think our best chance to get pressure through FA is to go all in on Wilkerson. I don't see how the Jets keep him. They just paid Richardson and drafted Williams and have to lock up their NT Harrison. Maybe they tag him but if he's there that would be my number 1 goal. 

Then we get out Edge Rusher in the draft. The guy I like is Ngakoue. It would be tough to pass on Floyd. Another guy if he comes out I would take a long look at it Turay. He is raw but an athletic freak. He could be special. 

Gallette and Smith are bad news. No thanks. I think Miller stays in Denver. Why would they let him walk? 

55 minutes ago, JRnINDY said:

I posted early this summer for us to get Smith, but as normal we didn't. The Raiders have plenty of cap room to sign him.

That worked out well for Oakland. We can start to work out a deal with him next November when his year long suspension is over provided he doesn't do something to get the boot for good. 

You almost have to draft players at  certain positions unless there is something wrong teams don't just let them walk. They are too hard to find. In the case of Smith there's plenty wrong. Gallatte too. 

Irvin will end up getting paid for something he is not. I don't want to reach on him either. The draft is our best opportunity at OLB. 

41 minutes ago, JRnINDY said:

Happy for the win even though it was against a bad team; however it might have knocked us from a top 10 (#9) pick to around 17 pick.

We were picking 9th? How is that? There were 11 teams with less than 6 wins going into this week and 6 more that were on 6 with us. 

1 hour ago, akcolt said:

That worked out well for Oakland. We can start to work out a deal with him next November when his year long suspension is over provided he doesn't do something to get the boot for good. 

You almost have to draft players at  certain positions unless there is something wrong teams don't just let them walk. They are too hard to find. In the case of Smith there's plenty wrong. Gallatte too. 

Irvin will end up getting paid for something he is not. I don't want to reach on him either. The draft is our best opportunity at OLB. 

That's probably true. But if so we need to get that edge rusher in the 1st round. We need someone who can come in and produce from week 1. Then honestly I'd probably draft another OLB later on. I like Floyd and Spence myself.

18 minutes ago, Track Guy said:

We will be picking in the teens somewhere. At least, it really looks like that's gonna be the case. 

Yeah I could see Indy beating Tennessee and getting a pick between 15-18. Tennessee is simply a dumpster fire and look like they are trying to tank.