Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Top QBs dominate AFCCG

-JJ-

Heard this on the radio.

Since 2003 the top AFC "so called elite" QBs have won the AFCCG 11 out of 12 times.
Brady x 5
Manning x3
Ben x 3

Even if you take out Ben that's still 8/12

What that tells me is that the NFL's obsession in putting emphasis on passing they just shot themselves in the foot with regards to parity. LOL

You have to have an elite QB

Pretty sad for parity.

Also heard something to the effect Manning vs Brady regular season whoever wins that wins the  AFCCG.

Heard this on the radio.

Since 2003 the top AFC "so called elite" QBs have won the AFCCG 11 out of 12 times.

Brady x 5

Manning x3

Ben x 3

What that tells me is that the NFL's obsession in putting emphasis on passing they just shot themselves in the foot with regards to parity.

Yeah...whether you're Tony Romo or Peyton Manning your team loses 65,568 games in a row if you get injured. The only reason the Colts didn't go 0fer was because they played Houston and Jax (who had them beat if not for the missed FG).

It says more about how dependant a team is on passing now more than how good their quarterback is if that makes any sense.

Heard this on the radio.

Brady x 5

Manning x3

Ben x 3

What that tells me is that the NFL's obsession in putting emphasis on passing they just shot themselves in the foot with regards to parity. LOL

You have to have an elite QB

Pretty sad for parity.

Also heard something to the effect Manning vs Brady regular season whoever wins that wins the  AFCCG.

It goes in ebbs and flows. The winner of the Peyton-Brady playoff game won the SB for the longest time (2003, 2004, 2006). Then it changed in 2013 with the Seahawks emerging. In 2013, Brady won the regular season match up but lost the AFCCG on the road. But I hear what you are saying.

Interestingly, that's only for the AFC.  In the NFC, things are a little different.  Since 2003, the QBs that have won the NFCCG are Russell Wilson (x2), Kaepernick, Eli Manning (x2), Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Kurt Warner, Rex Grossman, Matt Hasselbeck, Donovan McNabb, and Jake Delhomme.  That's 11 different guys in 13 different years.  I don't think it has to do with the league becoming very pass happy, but rather speaks to the greatness of Peyton and Brady for being able to keep their competition down for so many years and completely dominate for such a long time.

I was wondering about the NFC on my way home. Thanks for digging that up.

That may dispel the notion. I suppose we could go way back before enhanced passing rules and find great QBs but they also had great teams due to no cap.

Clearly passing is up.

It will be interesting once Brady & Manning retire from the NFL who will dominate this from a QB's perspective...Will Jimmy G. be even half as good as Brady was? Who will tutor Andrew Luck after the Pagano regime is dismissed? Will Tom Coughlin still be joined at the hip with Eli after this year? 

Will Mike Zimmer & the Vikings give GB a run for their money? Will Cam in Carolina become feared long after this season by DCs? How much longer can Brees play & is Sean Payton well on his way to transforming the Saints & reasserting their home field advantage in Louisiana? 

I'm just curious to see which 2 QBs will fill Peyton & Tom's absence once they are gone from the sports landscape forever as active players in the starting lineup of their respective clubs. 

It will be interesting once Brady & Manning retire from the NFL who will dominate this from a QB's perspective...Will Jimmy G. be even half as good as Brady was? Who will tutor Andrew Luck after the Pagano regime is dismissed? Will Tom Coughlin still be joined at the hip with Eli after this year? 

Will Mike Zimmer & the Vikings give GB a run for their money? Will Cam in Carolina become feared long after this season by DCs? How much longer can Brees play & is Sean Payton well on his way to transforming the Saints & reasserting their home field advantage in Louisiana? 

I'm just curious to see which 2 QBs will fill Peyton & Tom's absence once they are gone from the sports landscape forever as active players in the starting lineup of their respective clubs. 

IMO none that currently exist. Maybe someone in the future but they would have a lot of ground to make up to get even close.

I still think Andrew Luck will be the best QB in a couple of years, especially with the right Coaching. Not just saying that because he plays for Indy but he just has the talent to be that, Rodgers is Great too and has at least 5 or so years left in him. Having said that we may not ever see QB's like Tom and Peyton again, they just find ways to win 70% of the time basically and when they have played in the Playoffs against each other, the winner of their Playoff Game has went on to win the AFC Title. 2003/2004 = Tommy, 2006/2013 = Peyton.

IMO none that currently exist. Maybe someone in the future but they would have a lot of ground to make up to get even close.

It depends on how analysts define success once those 2 HOF field generals are retired though JJ. Too many experts would be calling for multiple Lombardi trophies to even creep up on Brady's success. 

Success comes in more than 1 form though. Yes, I know all QBs want SB glory. I get that, but if you remove the Patriots, 49ers, & Steelers, most teams don't have more than 3 Championships in their franchises history. 

I define success by the number of post season appearances, roster turnover while still winning your division for years, & continuity among coaching staffs & coordinators. Once INDY gets the right offensive line coach & HC in place, all that will change Luck for the better I think. 

Aaron Rogers will win another SB easy. Cam Newton feels legit to me too & if Denver can click quickly with TE Davis, Manning will make a serious run this year. 

I will grant you that Tom Brady is playing lights out right now. That is undeniable.  I get what your driving at though: Manning & Brady play chess while every other QB plays checkers. Translation: Peyton & Tom always fight the perfect matchup to manipulate before either the pass rush or secondary can get there. But 1 could make the same argument that Aaron & Big Ben when healthy are just a tiny fraction of a step below Manning & Brady. 

Yes, I know Denver's secondary dominated Aaron Rogers on SNF, but that's extremely rare & if Aaron had Jordy Nelson for that game, the outcome would have been the same in the loss column but the score would have been much closer IMO. 

I just don't define success by SB wins, yes it is the most important thing but overall wins is important too. If you cant win in the Regular Season than there is no Playoffs.

True as much as Peyton Manning is referred as "the greatest regular season QB in NFL history" [an underhanded insult masquerading as a backhanded complement]; 18 does deserve credit for getting not just 1 but 2 teams in the post season usually with a 1st round bye. 

I will admit that sometimes even I fall into the trap of being upset when Manning gets knocked off too soon for my liking. However, I have to remind myself that very few QBs waltz into post season action as much as he does. That's what makes Peyton & Tom so great: I take their excellence for granted because they always play in December like clockwork. 

True as much as Peyton Manning is referred as "the greatest regular season QB in NFL history" [an underhanded insult masquerading as a backhanded complement]; 18 does deserve credit for getting not just 1 but 2 teams in the post season usually with a 1st round bye. 

I will admit that sometimes even I fall into the trap of being upset when Manning gets knocked off too soon for my liking. However, I have to remind myself that very few QBs waltz into post season action as much as he does. That's what makes Peyton & Tom so great: I take their excellence for granted because they always play in December like clockwork. 

Peyton is automatic in September, October, and mostly in November. It's December and Jan where he is 50/50. He is the greatest Regular Season QB ever IMO, if he wins the SB this year than his Playoff status rises way up there as well.

I wonder how different Manning legacy would be if he had the luck to play with a top level HC. I mean Brady been real lucky having arguably one of the greatest HC of all time as his coach, what would Manning have done witha similar advantage?? Hmm we will never know.

It depends on how analysts define success once those 2 HOF field generals are retired though JJ. Too many experts would be calling for multiple Lombardi trophies to even creep up on Brady's success. 

Success comes in more than 1 form though. Yes, I know all QBs want SB glory. I get that, but if you remove the Patriots, 49ers, & Steelers, most teams don't have more than 3 Championships in their franchises history. 

I define success by the number of post season appearances, roster turnover while still winning your division for years, & continuity among coaching staffs & coordinators. Once INDY gets the right offensive line coach & HC in place, all that will change Luck for the better I think. 

Aaron Rogers will win another SB easy. Cam Newton feels legit to me too & if Denver can click quickly with TE Davis, Manning will make a serious run this year. 

I will grant you that Tom Brady is playing lights out right now. That is undeniable.  I get what your driving at though: Manning & Brady play chess while every other QB plays checkers. Translation: Peyton & Tom always fight the perfect matchup to manipulate before either the pass rush or secondary can get there. But 1 could make the same argument that Aaron & Big Ben when healthy are just a tiny fraction of a step below Manning & Brady. 

Yes, I know Denver's secondary dominated Aaron Rogers on SNF, but that's extremely rare & if Aaron had Jordy Nelson for that game, the outcome would have been the same in the loss column but the score would have been much closer IMO. 

I'm considering the whole body of work- playoffs and reg season and the eye factor (over any stats)

I still don't think anyone will approach Manning & Brady.  Certainly not Cam. Rogers is very good and will certainly reach a mark, but a mark below those two.

the Brady -Manning match ups happened almost every year whether due to divisional rotation, divisional winners, and playoffs.

They were the most anticipated games and lived up to the hype entertainment wise.

I wonder how different Manning legacy would be if he had the luck to play with a top level HC. I mean Brady been real lucky having arguably one of the greatest HC of all time as his coach, what would Manning have done witha similar advantage?? Hmm we will never know.

They would have helped. He still could have advanced but running into NE 03-04 was just bad timing.

There will be. We might not know his name as of now but football is all about passing now. From pee wee all the way up to the pros there is a bigger emphasis on passing and field management. The younger kids are picking up on that and eventually someone will "show up".

I'm considering the whole body of work- playoffs and reg season and the eye factor (over any stats)

I still don't think anyone will approach Manning & Brady.  Certainly not Cam. Rogers is very good and will certainly reach a mark, but a mark below those two.

the Brady -Manning match ups happened almost every year whether due to divisional rotation, divisional winners, and playoffs.

They were the most anticipated games and lived up to the hype entertainment wise.

No argument there. Both Brady & Manning will be difficult to eclipse with the number of victories they have achieved over the years JJ. I wouldn't say that their milestones will never be broken though. A massive unlikelihood sure, but not impossible. 

I admire that you don't place too much emphasis on stats though. Cam Newton is a different cat though. He will never dazzle you with touchdowns the frequency of them I mean, but the guy just wears defenders down with his size, strength, & tenacity. Plus, he come a long way from a towel over his head when his team is down to willing his teammates to win. 

Brady's not playing ball for another 7-10 years though. No way in hades. His body will never last that long. I'll give him 4-5 more years in this league max & that's it. JMO. 

No argument there. Both Brady & Manning will be difficult to eclipse with the number of victories they have achieved over the years JJ. I wouldn't say that their milestones will never be broken though. A massive unlikelihood sure, but not impossible. 

I admire that you don't place too much emphasis on stats though. Cam Newton is a different cat though. He will never dazzle you with touchdowns the frequency of them I mean, but the guy just wears defenders down with his size, strength, & tenacity. Plus, he come a long way from a towel over his head when his team is down to willing his teammates to win. 

Brady's not playing ball for another 7-10 years though. No way in hades. His body will never last that long. I'll give him 4-5 more years in this league max & that's it. JMO. 

I don't have much dislike for any players..but that towel over Cam's head just bugs me.  :)

I don't have much dislike for any players..but that towel over Cam's head just bugs me.  :)

I hear ya JJ. It used to bother me when Cam used to pout & sulk too with his towel routine. I'd be like "Come on Cam don't disappear like a turtle hiding in a shell. galvanize the troops my brother & let's go. 

QBs, as you know, get paid to motivate the men under his command when the wheels have fallen off. Do you curl up & die or plunge forward into the unknown? Newton has turned this corner now & I'm proud of him. 

This is why I dislike QBs like Cutler because he checks out when the chips are usually down. Well done Cam. Bravo! 

I will say though that there is an artform to motivating teammates though or who you approach & what your speech is to shake them out of their doldrums. Some guys you have to be gentle or encouraging with & other guys need you to swear at & demand that their get their head in the bleeping game & forget the last play because I need your mind right for the next down or offensive series. Balancing personalities & knowing what each dude needs to hear based on their demeanor is the key to success. 

Home field plays a very big role in the Brady v Manning matchups. It's quite overlooked in my opinion.

It's 11-5 in favor of Brady over Manning. Regular season in 9-3, and the playoffs are 2-2. Neither quarterback has won an away playoff game against each other. And have only won 5 total road games. Manning 2 and Brady 3.

Home field plays a very big role in the Brady v Manning matchups. It's quite overlooked in my opinion.

It's 11-5 in favor of Brady over Manning. Regular season in 9-3, and the playoffs are 2-2. Neither quarterback has won an away playoff game against each other. And have only won 5 total road games. Manning 2 and Brady 3.

ah-thanks for those numbers.

In foxboro with all the wires, signals and tapes and what not

They would have helped. He still could have advanced but running into NE 03-04 was just bad timing.

This still hurts. I truly hope all the cheating NE did in those years comes to light one day. Will be an emotional day in my future rocking chair. Could/should have been two more rings. 

Or a top notch defense. Manning is having one of his worst years so far, but the Broncos have a lock down defense, and they're still undefeated. Imagine if Manning was playing like he did two years ago. It used to be that if he didn't have an above average performance, his team would lose 90% of the time. Not this year. 

Against teams like the Pats, and in the playoffs, the margin for error will be smaller. Probably won't beat the Pats if he throws a couple pick-sixes.