Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rex Ryan to make Bills do push ups if they commit penalties in practice

amfootball

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/10/08/rex-ryan-goes-back-to-the-push-ups-for-penalties-well/

Apparently to solve all the flags for the Bills, Ryan is going to have his team do push ups of they commit fouls in practice. Honestly, I really don't understand how he is a HC at times. How about actually teach them the rule book and then coach them on the field to NOT commit fouls. Seems pretty simple to me.

The best paragraph from the story is this:

It’s interesting, however, that Jets coach Todd Bowles and Patriots coach Bill Belichick haven’t had to go the Friday Night Lights route to modify their players’ behavior. It’s almost as if maturity and discipline already resided within their players, for some strange reason.  haha 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/10/08/rex-ryan-goes-back-to-the-push-ups-for-penalties-well/

Apparently to solve all the flags for the Bills, Ryan is going to have his team do push ups of they commit fouls in practice. Honestly, I really don't understand how he is a HC at times. How about actually teach them the rule book and then coach them on the field to NOT commit fouls. Seems pretty simple to me.

The best paragraph from the story is this:

It’s interesting, however, that Jets coach Todd Bowles and Patriots coach Bill Belichick haven’t had to go the Friday Night Lights route to modify their players’ behavior. It’s almost as if maturity and discipline already resided within their players, for some strange reason. haha

Because they are professional football players. They know the rules, they lack dicipline. The push ups are a shaming device. It's used in all ages of football. You would think the players on the nfl level would have more dicipline.

Because they are professional football players. They know the rules, they lack dicipline. The push ups are a shaming device. It's used in all ages of football. You would think the players on the nfl level would have more dicipline.

Yeah, I get that. It seems rather high schoolish to me. I get the intent but like you said, NFL players should be able to be told not to commit fouls and coached if necessary.

I like Ryan but 17 penalties in one game is on him and this is a joke on him if this is the best he can do. He does not grasp he is in the NFL. What goes on in their typical practices?His dad was a braggart thinking he was a genius but only proved he was not when he left the Bears. Also, how is his brother doing in New Orleans!!??

Yeah, I get that. It seems rather high schoolish to me. I get the intent but like you said, NFL players should be able to be told not to commit fouls and coached if necessary.

Every coach teaches dicipline in a different way. The players know the rules. If they are being shamed in front of their teammates they might be less apt to commit penalties in games. Im not sure if the CBA allows players to be fined for committing penalties or not.

Every coach teaches dicipline in a different way. The players know the rules. If they are being shamed in front of their teammates they might be less apt to commit penalties in games. Im not sure if the CBA allows players to be fined for committing penalties or not.

Is doing push ups really shaming them?

What do you think of the new Miami coach doing the Oklahoma drills? It may be against the CBA as it is being looked into but if there was a team that needs a kick in the pants, it is the Phins.

While negativity always outweighs the positive in practice and games, Coaches should be able to discipline their team any way they want to within reason. If professional football players have to go running under Mama's skirt (a CBA) to aleve that, well, maybe they're not all that professional. I see both sides of this. But for goodness sake, let them be men!

Is doing push ups really shaming them?

What do you think of the new Miami coach doing the Oklahoma drills? It may be against the CBA as it is being looked into but if there was a team that needs a kick in the pants, it is the Phins.

If the whole team has to do push ups because you continually jump off sides, then yeah.

And I can't figure out why Oklahoma is against the cba

Good part on Ryan. While I have no problem with the new rule changes to make players more safe, the NFL had become too soft in other places. I hate it when I hear people label coaches as "hot heads" and stuff like that.

These players need discipline. And teaching discipline isn't always "nice". Sometimes you have to put a foot in someone's a. I'm surprised he's being so easy. Another coach would have made em lap the field or do suicides from sideline to sideline.

Good part on Ryan. While I have no problem with the new rule changes to make players more safe, the NFL had become too soft in other places. I hate it when I hear people label coaches as "hot heads" and stuff like that.

These players need discipline. And teaching discipline isn't always "nice". Sometimes you have to put a foot in someone's a. I'm surprised he's being so easy. Another coach would have made em lap the field or do suicides from sideline to sideline.

Or maybe he can be like Bellichick and deactivate the player for game time.

Sounds like the team has no discipline. What's wrong with this? You guys are wussies.

What's wrong? Because you need to coach this in practice on the various instances whether for hard counts or what that can result in penalties.

It's not just a matter of you're a bad boy go do pushups. Not committing penalties is a lot more than that.

I'll give you an example of the opposite to take a penalty. BB coaching rookies in training camp. 1st and goal at the 1 yd line what do you do. Answer- get a jump. Come on fellas what's half the distance to the goal line. Uh..yeah 6".  So in that case you actually risk getting the penalty.

This is all brain coaching.

Now if you want to say everything was coached (which we don't know) and they ignore it...ok pushups

What's wrong? Because you need to coach this in practice on the various instances whether for hard counts or what that can result in penalties.

It's not just a matter of you're a bad boy go do pushups. Not committing penalties is a lot more than that.

I'll give you an example of the opposite to take a penalty. BB coaching rookies in training camp. 1st and goal at the 1 yd line what do you do. Answer- get a jump. Come on fellas what's half the distance to the goal line. Uh..yeah 6".  So in that case you actually risk getting the penalty.

This is all brain coaching

Who's saying he's not coaching it in practice? Pushups is just another form of discipline. It's showing them how this is going to help them in the long run. Set the rules and enforce them and expect them to do what's right. It helps players to do what they're supposed to do when they're supposed too, play with discipline.

Who's saying he's not coaching it in practice? Pushups is just another form of discipline. It's showing them how this is going to help them in the long run. Set the rules and enforce them and expect them to do what's right. It helps players to do what they're supposed to do when they're supposed too, play with discipline.

LOL. what ya do snip my last line which said........

"Now if you want to say everything was coached (which we don't know) and they ignore it...ok pushups"

LOL. what ya do snip my last line.

umm

"Now if you want to say everything was coached (which we don't know) and they ignore it...ok pushups

Are you really LOL'ing over there? Nothing was funny. You must crack yourself up over the dumbest things. :scratch:  Nothing wrong with disciplining by doing push ups. Why don't you go ahead and mail in a complaint to the Buffalo Bills front office about it already.

Are you really LOL'ing over there? Nothing was funny. You must crack yourself up over the dumbest things. :scratch:  Nothing wrong with disciplining by doing push ups. Why don't you go ahead and mail in a complaint to the Buffalo Bills front office about it already.

No I'm lol how You snipped my quote to leave out the part where I acknowledged "now if they were coached"..etc...read it again.

I didn't snip out anything. You must have edited your comment while I was replying to it.

That's strange - I edited within like 5 seconds and your post is much later. Oh well- no biggie. All's good.

I'll do 10 pushups. Oh wait I'm too old :)