Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 1 Snap Count Notes

Dustin

Erik Walden and Mike Adams were the only 2 players to play all 59 defensive snaps. 

Langford played 53. And in my estimation, that was probably too many. You could see he was worn out late in the game. Not much of a choice given that his backups just signed to the team, but that's a number he likely shouldn't hit again.

D'Qwell Jackson played 50 snaps. You'd ideally want about 50 of those snaps split between Irving, Moore, and Geathers in the coming weeks. 

Jonathan Newsome played only 16 snaps. Only 6 pass rush snaps. 

Bjoern Werner and Earl Okine both played 3. 

Pep obviously trusts Tyler Varga in pass protection. His 16 pass blocking snaps were double Frank Gore's. 

Dwayne Allen played 53 snaps compared to Coby Fleener's 37

Those are about the only interesting numbers. 

Erik Walden and Mike Adams were the only 2 players to play all 59 defensive snaps.

Langford played 53. And in my estimation, that was probably too many. You could see he was worn out late in the game. Not much of a choice given that his backups just signed to the team, but that's a number he likely shouldn't hit again.

D'Qwell Jackson played 50 snaps. You'd ideally want about 50 of those snaps split between Irving, Moore, and Geathers in the coming weeks.

Jonathan Newsome played only 16 snaps. Only 6 pass rush snaps.

Pep obviously trusts Tyler Varga in pass protection. His 16 pass blocking snaps were double Frank Gore's.

Dwayne Allen played 53 snaps compared to Coby Fleener's 37.

Henry Anderson at 51 is too many as well.

"Dwayne Allen played 53 snaps compared to Coby Fleener's 37." 

Glad to see Allen out there moving around healthy & being utilized frequently. It's not a TE competition thing just remember Luck that you have more options on the field than TY. 

I get that reps, limiting them in a game, matters in terms of freshness in the 4th QTR, but it's difficult to judge against the buzz saw defense that Rex Ryan is famous for & that Luck until Sunday never faced him either. 

Being dropped into a Rex Ryan meat grinder is never a picnic witnessing pass rusher chaos for the 1st time. It's the difference between high school & graduate school & Rex operates on a PH.D. blitzing level of mastery. 

I was actually surprised that the Colts got 14 points given the punishment Luck took. Not a knock on our offense BTW; I just know how lethal Sexy Rexy is when a QB gets confused & bewildered over what they see flying at them live. 

"Dwayne Allen played 53 snaps compared to Coby Fleener's 37." 

Glad to see Allen out there moving around healthy & being utilized frequently. It's not a TE competition thing just remember Luck that you have more options on the field than TY. 

I get that reps, limiting them in a game, matters in terms of freshness in the 4th QTR, but it's difficult to judge against the buzz saw defense that Rex Ryan is famous for & that Luck until Sunday never faced him either. 

Being dropped into a Rex Ryan meat grinder is never a picnic witnessing pass rusher chaos for the 1st time. It's the difference between high school & graduate school & Rex operates on a PH.D. blitzing level of mastery. 

I was actually surprised that the Colts got 14 points given the punishment Luck took. Not a knock on our offense BTW; I just know how lethal Sexy Rexy is when a QB gets confused & bewildered over what they see flying at them live. 

Hate to nitpick, but Luck had faced Rex Ryan once before. The results were largely the same.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201210140nyj.htm

Jonathan Newsome played only 16 snaps. Only 6 pass rush snaps.

Dwayne Allen played 53 snaps compared to Coby Fleener's 37.

At this point Varga is going to be the number 2 back. He seems to be doing everything right. He's elusive in space, fights for every yard, good in the return game, and pass protects.

It makes me feel he made Herron expendable.

Henry Anderson at 51 is too many as well.

I agree.  Anderson played very well, but we need to limit his snap counts.

A LOT of rookies performance tends to dwindle down the stretch because they're not used to the 16 game season (see Kerr last year).  We can't burn Anderson out by week 12.  The problem is, I'm not sure who we have on our current roster than can cut he and Langford's snap counts without us seeing a major drop in performance.