Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

List of possible 2016 HC Candidates.

Dustin

You've made this judgement based on ONE REGULAR SEASON GAME?!?

Really?      Seriously?

That's impressive.......

Well said NCF. Not only that if I was going to inquire about a candidate after the 49ers victory over Minnesota it would be DC Eric Mangini not HC Jim Tomsula [directed at Johnny Bui not you BTW.]

Jim does not impress me at all, but Eric had that defense smothering Bridgewater & bearing down on the ball like a nuclear missile. 

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems pretty clear?!? To who? To you, maybe, but not to me.

And I have no idea -- none -- why you'd think that.

Where did you come up with the idea that Grigson wants "yes" men with no questions asked or concerns raised?

Seriously! How did you come up with this conclusion?

Who has written that?

This is complete and absolute nonsense.....

Mike Chappell, Bob Kravitz, Stephen Holder, just to name a few. There is a lengthy list of names who have reported that Grigson has many times left Pagano and the coaches out of personnel decisions, and even reports that Grigson has made various lineup decisions.

Don't follow the local media much, do you?

How about a guy that coach along side the hoodie and knows all his philosophies? Matt Patricia, DC Patriots. He would be way better than Josh McDaniels. Like for serious...If we want to defeat the enemy, we must become the enemy. 

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/2015/01/30/patriots-defensive-coordinator-matt-patricia-star-the-making/a301PdyADueaLsByvSt7rO/story.html

“Matt Patricia has every bit as much to do with the Patriots defensive success as anyone in Foxboro,” former Patriots linebacker Matt Chatham wrote for Football by Football. “What plays teams run with their players, how well they’re prepared to execute those plays, and when specifically to call them...that’s what it’s all about. Your puppet won’t work without a great puppeteer.”

This guy will be a hot commodity. I dont know much about him but he has seemed to have flashed on the scene and seems to have that something that teams are going to want.

Mike Chappell, Bob Kravitz, Stephen Holder, just to name a few. There is a lengthy list of names who have reported that Grigson has many times left Pagano and the coaches out of personnel decisions, and even reports that Grigson has made various lineup decisions.

Grigson is digging Pagano, and himself, a hole. He is missing on too many draft picks and too many free agents. If he brings in a yes man he will seal his own fate.

There are only so many times you can sign or trade for Cleveland cast offs and not pay for it!

Grigson is digging Pagano, and himself, a hole. He is missing on too many draft picks and too many free agents. If he brings in a yes man he will seal his own fate.

There are only so many times you can sign or trade for Cleveland cast offs and not pay for it!

Can you do me a favor? Go study all teams draft picks since grigson has been gm. See how many of each teams are starters, still on the team that drafted them, that are on any roster, and ones that aren't in the league anymore. Until you come back with some hard evidence to compare with other teams and substantiate your claims, stop saying this.

I'd be happy to follow the local media.    There are times when I follow the local media more than many here.

But those websites have limits on how many times I can view their stories without it being blocked to me before they want me to start paying for access.

And I'm sorry,  I'm not paying for access when all I read is the sports.

But what I find odd,  is that you or no one else seems to link those stories.   Yes, I've seen the ones about friction,  but none of them say that Grigson wants "yes men with no discussion or debates".     I don't think we've had that thread here once.

So,  any time you can link a story like that -- PLEASE!! -- feel free to.    That I'd like to read.    Or lift some text out that says that.

ANYTHING that backs that up.     I think the idea that Chuck Pagano is a "yes man" is laughable.    Completely.

I think the idea that Ryan Grigson doesn't want discussion or input is ridiculous.      Completely.

I'm always interested in reading stories with meat in them,   and stories like that would qualify.

Can you do me a favor? Go study all teams draft picks since grigson has been gm. See how many of each teams are starters, still on the team that drafted them, that are on any roster, and ones that aren't in the league anymore. Until you come back with some hard evidence to compare with other teams and substantiate your claims, stop saying this.

LOL, the hard evidence that I'm really speaking of is his first round history, he's blown two picks of his 4 and the jury will be out on Dorsett for a while yet and Luck was a no brainer.  Plus he's signed plenty of free agents who did not pan out. Just because you keep your own draft picks doesnt necessarily mean they are good.

As for meddling in the lineup and not letting your coaches have any say, I would say that's not smart if its true. Most successful people know to surround yourself with good people and let them do what you brought them in to do.

I'd be happy to follow the local media.    There are times when I follow the local media more than many here.

But those websites have limits on how many times I can view their stories without it being blocked to me before they want me to start paying for access.

And I'm sorry,  I'm not paying for access when all I read is the sports.

But what I find odd,  is that you or no one else seems to link those stories.   Yes, I've seen the ones about friction,  but none of them say that Grigson wants "yes men with no discussion or debates".     I don't think we've had that thread here once.

So,  any time you can link a story like that -- PLEASE!! -- feel free to.    That I'd like to read.    Or lift some text out that says that.

ANYTHING that backs that up.     I think the idea that Chuck Pagano is a "yes man" is laughable.    Completely.

I think the idea that Ryan Grigson doesn't want discussion or input is ridiculous.      Completely.

I'm always interested in reading stories with meat in them,   and stories like that would qualify.

110% free. You're welcome. 

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2015/9/13/9319023/report-people-close-to-colts-coach-chuck-pagano-believe-hell-be-coaching-elsewhere-in-2016

Jason Laconfora:

"The situation with the Colts and coach Chuck Pagano is starting to resemble the inevitable divorce between the 49ers and Jim Harbaugh from a year ago.  Pagano was shocked to receive just a one-year contract extension at virtually the same money he's already making.  I'm told owner Jim Irsay equally is shocked that he turned that offer down and that situation has festered.  There's growing tension between Ryan Grigson, the GM, and Pagano.  It was Grigson who championed the hiring of Pep Hamilton as offensive coordinator, and many coaches on that staff were shocked the team took a wide receiver in the first round rather than address more pressing concerns.  Irsay ramped up the pressure by putting the team publically in Super Bowl or bust mode, and those closest to Pagano believe it's inevitable that he'll be coaching elsewhere in 2016."

Further elaboration from Lacanfora:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/25299724/chuck-paganos-days-appear-numbered-as-friction-with-colts-gm-grows

The working relationship between Pagano and Grigson was already deteriorating to that point -- Pagano has no say over personnel and did not get final say on his staff either, with Grigson hiring offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton. Pagano had pushed Rob Chudzinski for the job -- and the offer -- which read like a vote of no, or minimal, confidence from ownership, has only ramped up the friction.

Now we're gonna use some logic here, stick with me. 

Clearly this tells us that Grigson wants, and has, the lions share of control and then some. The coaches clearly have no power with him, hence the pick of a 3rd or 4th string WR over what they seem to have instead wanted. They do not have the power to say "do not bring this player or coach into the organization." It's been reported that Grigson has even made calls on lineup decisions in his tenure. It has floated around on twitter (Also 110% free) by many in the local media in the last week or so that the switch at center last season when we benched AQ Shipley for Jonotthan Harrison was a Grigson call, and the decision to continue starting Richardson as long as we did was a Grigson call. 

So now continuing to use logic, based on the things we've already deduced, is it even in the realm of logic to surmise that Grigson is going to bring in someone who wants to have a heavy say in personnel decisions, and full control over his coaching staff, and lineup decisions?

No. It's not. Why? Because it's going to put us in the same situation we are in right now. 

Sorry man. It's all right there. 

110% free. You're welcome. 

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2015/9/13/9319023/report-people-close-to-colts-coach-chuck-pagano-believe-hell-be-coaching-elsewhere-in-2016

Jason Laconfora:

Further elaboration from Lacanfora:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/25299724/chuck-paganos-days-appear-numbered-as-friction-with-colts-gm-grows

Now we're gonna use some logic here, stick with me. 

Clearly this tells us that Grigson wants, and has, the lions share of control and then some. The coaches clearly have no power with him, hence the pick of a 3rd or 4th string WR over what they seem to have instead wanted. They do not have the power to say "do not bring this player or coach into the organization." It's been reported that Grigson has even made calls on lineup decisions in his tenure. It has floated around on twitter (Also 110% free) by many in the local media in the last week or so that the switch at center last season when we benched AQ Shipley for Jonotthan Harrison was a Grigson call, and the decision to continue starting Richardson as long as we did was a Grigson call. 

So now continuing to use logic, based on the things we've already deduced, is it even in the realm of logic to surmise that Grigson is going to bring in someone who wants to have a heavy say in personnel decisions, and full control over his coaching staff, and lineup decisions?

No. It's not. Why? Because it's going to put us in the same situation we are in right now. 

Sorry man.    But I don't think any of it is there.

So,  we'll just disagree.     Especially the part about Pagano.

I think you've misinterpreted a lot of this.....    so we'll just agree to disagree.

I keep asking my NE friends about him & because I never get a response back from them I figure he's a lifer in Patriots Country & will never ever leave the Boston area. Personally, I wanna make a run at Tom Coughlin if the Giants suck this year & the Mara Family lets him go after this dismal season. Tom's a darn good coach. I don't care how old he is either. I just like steady, proven leaders who never panic. Plus, Tom took total responsibility for losing to the Cowboys this week for poor situational management & I respect that.

In addition, I loved when Tom laid into Tampa Bay Bucs coach Greg Schiano in 2012 I believe for running a live play when the game was over & all Eli was doing was kneeling. Tom was irate over possibly getting his o-line hurt & Schiano was too darn stupid to realize what a fool he really was. SMH to this day over his lunacy on that play. I love coaches who go after people trying to injure their guys. 

I'm probably biased when it comes to big blue but I revere how that whole organization is run from top to bottom & they always fight, scratch, & compete even in down years. No quit in that team at all & no excuses ever. If they played poorly, they say it. 

If Pagano is really leaving, than lets hope we get either both those guys. Tom would be a HUGE upgrade with what we have right now even though my eyes would melt seeing Tom in winter time when his face is all red haha

From your quote above: 

The working relationship between Pagano and Grigson was already deteriorating to that point -- Pagano has no say over personnel and did not get final say on his staff either, with Grigson hiring offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton. Pagano had pushed Rob Chudzinski for the job -- and the offer -- which read like a vote of no, or minimal, confidence from ownership, has only ramped up the friction.

I call nonsense.

#1, I'm not ever going to take something Jason La Canfora says as gospel. He's wrong more than he's right.

#2, Pagano wasn't pushing for the Colts to hire Chudzinski instead of Pep for OC in 2013 because Chudzinski was hired as the Browns head coach two weeks before Arians was hired by the Cardinals. Chudzinski wasn't available to be our offensive coordinator until a year later. So someone -- La Canfora, in this case -- has their facts wrong. I refer you back to #1.

I'm starting to think that Pagano is not getting a fair shake from Griggs so I'm going to get behind him this year and hope he can right the ship.  But I still believe he likely will be gone next year.  So with that said...

How about someone from the Patriots organization?  I'd be interested in Matt Patricia, Defensive Coordinator.  He's is young and on the come at 41 years of age and has coached his entire career under Belichick.  He has experience as an offensive assistant, offensive line coach, coaching their linebackers and safeties.  Those units have all been solid over the years.  He has to know that organization inside and out and also is very familiar with how Belicheck thinks.  He knows exactly why & how the Pats keep beating us like a drum.  He could bring an edge to Indy that we really need. He has the look of  someone who might be able to infuse some toughess into this football team.

462354914.jpg?quality=65&strip=all&w=752

I'm starting to think that Pagano is not getting a fair shake from Griggs so I'm going to get behind him this year and hope he can right the ship.  But I still believe he likely will be gone next year.  So with that said...

How about someone from the Patriots organization?  I'd be interested in Matt Patricia, Defensive Coordinator.  He's is young and on the come at 41 years of age and has coached his entire career under Belichick.  He has experience as an offensive assistant, offensive line coach, coaching their linebackers and safeties.  Those units have all been solid over the years.  He has to know that organization inside and out and also is very familiar with how Belicheck thinks.  He knows exactly why & how the Pats keep beating us like a drum.  He could bring an edge to Indy that we really need. He has the look of  someone who might be able to infuse some toughess into this football team.

462354914.jpg?quality=65&strip=all&w=752

I like Patricia, but I don't want another first time coach. I would give McDaniels/Mangini another shot before Patricia. That they coached for the Patriots doesn't factor in though.

Josh McDaniels

David Cuttcliffe

Herm Edwards(thats right)

Darrell Bevell

Lane Kiffin

Hue Jackson

Mike Tomlin if hes fired

Dennis Thurman

All upgrades

Hands off David Cuttcliffe please. We love him at Duke.  He has resurrected our football program from the dead! Even spurned Michigan to remain at the "Gothic Wonderland".  :D

I like Patricia, but I don't want another first time coach. I would give McDaniels/Mangini another shot before Patricia. That they coached for the Patriots doesn't factor in though.

Yeah...that would certainly be a cause for concern.  I still think he is intriguing and thought I'd throw his name in the mix. 

Whatever the conflict, the team can be improved by dumping Pep and having Chud call the offense.

Clean up your Pep OC mess, Grigson!  Only a dummy refuses to cut his losses. You make a mistake, you fix it and move on.

To bad the rest of the world doesn't live where you live.

A land where everything is so easy and obvious to figure out.     There are no problems that can't be fixed in the time it takes you to consume a beer or two.

Wow,  you're a genius!    Can't believe you don't have a job in the NFL where your special talent could be on display for the whole football world to witness.

I think the question needs to be, is there really a coaching candidate out there that becomes an obvious choice to replace Pogano? I think Tony Dungy was the obvious piece that had to be gotten when Mora refused to fire Vic Fangio and Polian releived him of his duties as head coach. Still, there were many people questioning if Tony would bring his style of offense, which was much more of a bruising ground attack, to the Colts. That of course did not happen probably because Tom Moore was retained at OC. So, who would be the obvious choice to take over if it happens? I don't really know if there is one. The only guy that intrigues me right now is Matt Patricia, he has experience on both sides of the ball and is obviously a smart guy and most likely will be a hot coaching prospect at years end.

I think the question needs to be, is there really a coaching candidate out there that becomes an obvious choice to replace Pogano? I think Tony Dungy was the obvious piece that had to be gotten when Mora refused to fire Vic Fangio and Polian releived him of his duties as head coach. Still, there were many people questioning if Tony would bring his style of offense, which was much more of a bruising ground attack, to the Colts. That of course did not happen probably because Tom Moore was retained at OC. So, who would be the obvious choice to take over if it happens? I don't really know if there is one. The only guy that intrigues me right now is Matt Patricia, he has experience on both sides of the ball and is obviously a smart guy and most likely will be a hot coaching prospect at years end.

Dungy's style of offense was not scoring points lol