Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My Projected 53 Man Roster & 10 Man Practice Squad

Kezzarino

Let me know what you think & if you would change anything

I have 10 Rookies on the 53 Man Squad, a lot i know (all depth roles to start the season but could change), but i think there are quite a few 3rd and 4th year players who just aren't showing enough to get them through this year

Players who we picked up in Free Agency

Players who were out for the year or weren't at 100% but still played

Rookies Drafted or UDFA's

QB Andrew Luck Matt Hasslebeck    

RB Frank Gore Vick Ballard Josh Robinson Tyler Varga*

WR1 T.Y. Hilton Philip Dorsett    

WR2 Andre Johnson Duron Carter    

WR3 Donte Moncrief      

TE Coby Fleener Dwayne Allen Jack Doyle  

LT Andthony Castanzo Ulrick John    

LG Jack Mewhort Hugh Thornton    

C Khaled Holmes Jonotthan Harrison    

RG Todd Herremans Lance Louis    

RT Gosder Cherilus Joe Reitz              

DE Kendall Langford Henry Anderson    

NT Josh Champman Zack Kerr    

DT Arthur Jones Montori Hughes David Perry   

ROLB Robert Mathis Jonathan Newsome Zack Hodges**  

ILB1 D'Qwell Jackson Nate Irving    

ILB2 Jerrell Freeman Amarlo Herrera***    

LOLB Trent Cole Erik Walden     

CB1 Vonte Davis Derius Butler Donald Celiscar***  

CB2 Greg Toler D'Joun Smith    

FS Dwight Lowery Winston Guy    

SS Mike Adams Clayton Geathers Dewey McDonald          

P Patt McAfee      

K Adam Vinatieri      

LS Matt Overton                

Total 53                

Practice Squad        

DT Kelcy Quarles        

CB Donald Celiscar        

S Robert Smith        

WR Griff Whalen/Ryan Lankford****    

T Denzelle Good        

OLB Cody Galea        

ILB Junior Sylvestre        

TE Erik Swoope        

G Ben Heeman        

RB Abou Toure        

* I chose Tyler Varga over boom because i would prefer to have Ballard and Robinson on the team (providing ballard is healthy) and Tyler gives us someone other than Doyle or Allen to play FB if we choose to run a heavy set with an additional OL plus 2 TE with a FB and RB which we could easily pass out of giving us more options

** I think Zack does well in OTA's and Camp which will esentially give the coaches a hard decision which ultimately ends up in Werner getting cut or traded if possible.

***Same goes for Herrera at ILB which gets Muamba cut from the squad

****Unsure that if we put Whalen on the PS he will choose to, he has been in the league a while now and im sure wanting a shot at a starting/depth role elsewhere. i would prefer Griff to Ryan on the PS but if he wants to go elsewhere Ryan is not a bad 2nd option.

Notes: I understand your thinking with Varga, but we don't need a fullback that badly. I want to keep the four best running backs. I'd keep Varga on the practice squad in case of injury if he plays well in preseason.

I see Donald Thomas making the roster at left guard if he stays healthy. I just don't see Lance Louis making it this year. Hugh Thornton would stay at right guard in my projection.

I just don't see anything happening to Werner and Hodges best chance is the practice squad though I feel he's overrated.

Lastly, I would rather have five inside linebackers than 5 safeties or 4 running backs. I don't trust Nate Irving coming off that injury and it would be safer to have two young guys at inside linebacker for special teams and just in case the fourth guy doesn't play well when called upon, we have another option.

Chuck Zurlon on the PS

For me boom will always be a back up, average one at that. The only reason everyone is so high on him is because trent wasnt hard to replace, he looked like a god when he started. We need to develop guys to start when gore is done (ballard, robinson, varga)

Heenan PS guy, if injury strikes hell come up

Thomas to many injuries and saves us some money

Werner 3 years is long enough for a 1 round guy to produce hes done nothing just taking up a spot for a player who could come in and develop more (newsome, hodges)

Muamba has done alright, if we need 5 ILB he would be in, but i cant see us dropping the safeties unless we dump one onto the PS, 2 30+ guys...16 games is a long time for them

Colt is alright but only on ST which dewey can manage aswell as give us a bit more if hes called upon to play in the 1st team defense

Absolutely no possible way that Boom Herron doesn't make it. You have 2 unproven rookies making it over a guy who proved his worth last year. And with our O-Line being improved, Boom's really gonna be tough this year. Also. I mean I really, really hate to say this because I know how it sounds, and I'm not "that guy" or whatever, but honestly I don't have much faith in a white running back. Especially an undrafted one.

I could see Werner being traded I guess, but its still not likely. You just cant give up on a 3rd year 1st rounder that early. I think he's gonna be a valuable player for us for a long time actually, but not as in being a beast or anything. In sort of the Walden role, although as a backup. He'll be a pretty good SAM backer, but I personally don't see him putting up big sack numbers. I really hope I'm wrong and he's one of the big time break out players this year though. Other than that I mean if Donald Thomas is healthy he's gonna be on the 53. And probably starting at some point. Don't forget he's a really good interior lineman who can also play Center. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he don't end up as our starting Center. Ben Heenan is another one. I have high hopes for Heenan. I think he can end up as a solid starter at RG, or at least a good backup. I just think he's got the skills to do it. And Im not as sure on this, but I also think we'll roll with 5 ILB's. Muamba will probably be the 5th guy.

Absolutely no possible way that Boom Herron doesn't make it. You have 2 unproven rookies making it over a guy who proved his worth last year. And with our O-Line being improved, Boom's really gonna be tough this year. Also. I mean I really, really hate to say this because I know how it sounds, and I'm not "that guy" or whatever, but honestly I don't have much faith in a white running back. Especially an undrafted one.

While you are being "that guy", you're right lol. No good white RB'S out there

I like your post i think that Boom is good as a backup but a healthy Ballard is better and i'm still thinking that Varga is better that people gives credit of he can be adjusted as FB and run the Spider 2 Banana packages, also Doyle has been solid but i think that his spot is to lose this camp.

I can see Mathis on the PUP until week 5 we need to nurse his injury to get him back as good as he has been, so i can see Werner making the team but i think his problem has been scheme related.

Gosder can begin the season on the PUP so we could carry Donald Thomas and decide if we want to cut Louis or Herreman(I'm not completely sold with him).

I think that Whalen isn't eligible to PS.

I just think boom will always be a back up, if ballard is healthy i choose him everytime

I don't think that's the choice most are objecting to.

Varga over Boom.    That's the one that doesn't add up.    Not Boom or Ballard.....

You can have both.