Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

#ForcePlayers - The best EDGE rusher metric available.

Justis Mosqueda (@JuMosq) uses a  statistical method that factors in all of the combine/pro-day numbers and created a metric that is virtually perfect for EDGE rushing projections to the NFL. 

Here are the EDGE rushers who were drafted in between 2005 and 2014 in the 1st through 4th round.

Blue = #forceplayers

Red = non-#forceplayers

iGz0bfz.png

*note: some guys who are in red would (could) have been blue if they had done the required drills. 

Here are the #forceplayers for 2015:

Vic Beasley

Randy Gregory

Alvin Dupree

Diggy

Preston Smith

Danielle Hunter

Frank Clark

Shaq Riddick

Marcus Rush

Davis Tull

Justis Mosqueda (@JuMosq) uses a  statistical method that factors in all of the combine/pro-day numbers and created a metric that is virtually perfect for EDGE rushing projections to the NFL. 

Here are the EDGE rushers who were drafted in between 2005 and 2014 in the 1st through 4th round.

Blue = #forceplayers

Red = non-#forceplayers

iGz0bfz.png

*note: some guys who are in red would (could) have been blue if they had done the required drills. 

Vic Beasley

Randy Gregory

Alvin Dupree

Diggy

Preston Smith

Danielle Hunter

Frank Clark

Shaq Riddick

Marcus Rush

Davis Tull

I'm assuming the 2015 list is listed Statistically with Beasley on top.

I'm assuming the 2015 list is listed Statistically with Beasley on top.

There's no ranking. It's not really a formula that spits out a number. Each player has to hit minimum requirements (4.6 forty, 39" vert, ect...)

Does that make it the best metric available?  Just because a guy can jump through the roof or run fast, that doesn't mean he is a good pass rusher.  Workout warriors aren't always good football players

I mean yeah, didn't you see the chart I posted? You're not going to find another metric that possesses success like that. 

I mean yeah, didn't you see the chart I posted? You're not going to find another metric that possesses success like that. 

I'd like to see the individual numbers. Some of the red guys have been dealing with injuries. Clowney for instance, is a surprise omission, and if he doesn't have pro success, it's probably more about injuries than about his workout numbers.

Aldon Smith is another outlier.

Seems like a good metric, though.

I'd like to see the individual numbers. Some of the red guys have been dealing with injuries. Clowney for instance, is a surprise omission, and if he doesn't have pro success, it's probably more about injuries than about his workout numbers.

Clowney had bad agility drills and Aldon didn't do anything of note in his drills. 

Blue = #forceplayers

Red = non-#forceplayers

iGz0bfz.png

Vic Beasley

Randy Gregory

Alvin Dupree

Diggy

Preston Smith

Danielle Hunter

Frank Clark

Shaq Riddick

Marcus Rush

Davis Tull

OK....   I'll be the one guy who asks....

Diggy?     Is there a first and last name to that?

Leonard Williams was often asked to rush from the edge; just like J.J. Watt was often asked to rush from inside. I see no reason to exclude one but not the other.

Because one of them was an actual edge rusher who sometimes rushed from inside and the other is an interior pass rusher who sometimes rushed from outside. Arik Armstead isn't listed either. 

Because one of them was an actual edge rusher who sometimes rushed from inside and the other is an interior pass rusher who sometimes rushed from outside. Arik Armstead isn't listed either.

Margus Hunt played DE in a 3-4 at SMU, yet his name is on the list. They can also be "edge rushers."

Hunt was a projected edge rusher in the pros.

Adam Carriker (on the list) was projected to be a 3-4 DE or DT. As I recall, he was known for being excellent against the run, but only decent in rushing the passer. He was never projected as an "edge rusher."

Adam Carriker (on the list) was projected to be a 3-4 DE or DT. As I recall, he was known for being excellent against the run, but only decent in rushing the passer. He was never projected as an "edge rusher."

I'm guessing the requirements are you either are an edge rusher or projected to play on the edge in the pros.

I'm guessing the requirements are you either are an edge rusher or projected to play on the edge in the pros.

Ha! Makes sense. I just think we should wait until we see what team drafts him before we start to label him "edge rusher" or "not." It does seem like a lot of 3-4 teams are drafting early, though.

It also has some blue players that haven't been that great, like Adam Carriker, Vernon Gholston, or Jamaal Anderson.

Does that make it the best metric available?  Just because a guy can jump through the roof or run fast, that doesn't mean he is a good pass rusher.  Workout warriors aren't always good football players

Paul Brown supposedly keep charts like this back in the day....and passed it on to guys like Ozzie Newsome and Bill Belichick who continue to use it. It may not be 100%, but it's definetly telling.