Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reggie Wayne Says "thursday Could Be My Last Home Game"

Smitto

I really, really, REALLY like Reggie Wayne. I hope he stays and retires as a Colt. (Same thing for Robert Mathis.) But if he wants to be paid like a #1 receiver (anywhere near the $10 million a year that the top guys are getting, or more), we'll have to bid him adieu. Pains me to say, but I think that's the smart money.

Yeah it's sorta like with Edge. It was hard to make the call to let him go because you know he can still have a year or two like he used to but over the long haul of the contract it's probably not going to be worth it.

Pierre Garcon..... 62 - 875

Reggie Wayne.....59 - 781

...we need some big plays for them to get top 1,000...

..We cant be so timid in the first quarter

We have a running back coming off a 160 yard and we are on our fourth string QB. Frankly you are going to see more of the Colts trying to be running team they aren't going to take many shots down the field. They tried the whole run the offense like Peyton did with Painter and that didn't work so well in fact people were very hard on the Colts coaches for not adjusting to not having Peyton and not trying to run the ball more. The Colts seem to have made that adjustment with Orlovsky and if they are going to focus on running the ball more that means less passing.

We have a running back coming off a 160 yard and we are on our fourth string QB. Frankly you are going to see more of the Colts trying to be running team they aren't going to take many shots down the field. They tried the whole run the offense like Peyton did with Painter and that didn't work so well in fact people were very hard on the Colts coaches for not adjusting to not having Peyton and not trying to run the ball more. The Colts seem to have made that adjustment with Orlovsky and if they are going to focus on running the ball more that means less passing.

But Go-C...

The Houston boys have been going over last week's tape which showed 200 yards rushing

,,and they'll be geared to stop Donald (Dont Call me Jim) Brown..early..

That means play-action should be there...

We have to play as if we have nothing to lose (because we havent for weeks)

But Go-C...

The Houston boys have been going over last week's tape which showed 200 yards rushing

,,and they'll be geared to stop Donald (Dont Call me Jim) Brown..early..

That means play-action should be there...

We have to play as if we have nothing to lose (because we havent for weeks)

Maybe, but you still try it till they do stop it. That would be the same logic as when Peyton has a big game throwing going "well Peyton had a big game throwing and the teams saw the tape on that and they are giong to be up for stopping it so we better not let Peyton throw."

The fans have nothing to lose, players and coaches still have jobs to lose or save. I was listening to Dakich a couple of weeks responding to someone who said the Colts should play as if they have nothing to lose and he brought up the point that if they do that that's the kinda thing that starts to lose a lockerroom because you are giving up on what you believe in.

The one thing the Colts have been able to do most of the year on offense is run the ball. It's just so happened in most games we've gotten down early so we've had to go away from it. Last week we didn't and we were able to stick with it and frankly the offense looked as well as it has looked all year and towards the end of the game the Colts finally broke a long run on the Titans.

Back to the originaI post. I think a lot of the theories regarding Garcon developing, Collie getting past concussions etc.. are based on a hope that they do this and aren't based on actual evidence they can and will. If Manning comes back, there is a relationship with Reggie that is very valuable. As far as drops go, if you get thrown to a lot more, that you will rank higher with dropped balls.

It's why Ozzie Smith's fielding percentage was not as high as Ripken at SS. Ozzie got to balls other SS had no chance of getting to to try and make a play on....

Reggie is getting up there in years and doesn't seem to be what he once was. At the same time, it is hard to evaluate him based on this year due to the guys we have had pitching around the pigskin. That said, I appreciate what he has brought to the franchise but if it is time for him to go then it is time for him to go. I am kind of meh about it after Marvin and all. I mean if they can part ways with Marvin probably the greatest Colts receiver of all-time then why would Reggie be any different? Reggie isn't injured but he appears to have lost a step and didn't put up his typical numbers this year (not all of his fault mind you). But as a result, I think he will be hard pressed to cash in for a major payday with anybody much less the Colts so we'll have to see how it plays out for him.

As far as the Colts go...it will be hard to find a number one wide receiver by drafting a rookie next year short of taking one with the first round pick. Rookies will need some time to adjust to things and expecting one to fill the number one shoes right away may not be realistic. If Wayne departs, this may be the time for the Colts to consider going after a major impact free agent at this position. I'd love Desean Jackson, we aren't going to be able to afford him but I can dream. Nevertheless there should still be other good free agent receivers that could help us. This isn't our typical modus operandi but in this situation and given Peyton's ticking time clock it may be warranted.

Of course, if Wayne leaves this might breathe new life into possibly retaining Gonzo. Would we consider keeping him around and hope he can actually stay healthy enough to gasp...contribute something? If so then we could use one of our lower draft picks to take a rookie wideout for depth rather than to be the number one starting off. We'd have Garcon, Collie, Gonzo, and rookie WR. I don't have much faith is Gonzo's ability to stay healthy so I wouldn't feel too comfortable with this approach but I could see the frugal Colts considering it.

Back to the originaI post. I think a lot of the theories regarding Garcon developing, Collie getting past concussions etc.. are based on a hope that they do this and aren't based on actual evidence they can and will. If Manning comes back, there is a relationship with Reggie that is very valuable. As far as drops go, if you get thrown to a lot more, that you will rank higher with dropped balls.

It's why Ozzie Smith's fielding percentage was not as high as Ripken at SS. Ozzie got to balls other SS had no chance of getting to to try and make a play on....

Sorry...B-man...Go-C and I clearly hijacked the thread :offtopic:

I think we could draft more than one quaality receiver in middle rounds/..

because the elite WRs are speed and size based...

..and a young Austin Collie or Reggie Wayne (both not big or fast) can slip down to the Colts.....because of their style of offense..

Reggie could be replaced quickly.

But we're a 'win now' team...and Wayne's value is his on-field relationship with Manning..which is priceless.

We need to resign Reggie

I love Reggie to bits, but it's time to move on. Wayne is gonna be looking for some big retirement money. Let him test the market, offer him what the Colts think is reasonable, if it's not enough... too bad. The Colts can sure use upgrades at multiple positions, and Reggie would free up som cap space.

If it should be between him and Mathis, the choice is easy. Mathis every time.

Free agency has some interesting names. Vincent Jackson and Dwayne Bowe are the premier guys, could both get franchise tagged, and would probably cost more than Wayne. Another interesting option for me would be Robert Meachem.

I love Reggie to bits, but it's time to move on. Wayne is gonna be looking for some big retirement money. Let him test the market, offer him what the Colts think is reasonable, if it's not enough... too bad. The Colts can sure use upgrades at multiple positions, and Reggie would free up som cap space.

Free agency has some interesting names. Vincent Jackson and Dwayne Bowe are the premier guys, could both get franchise tagged, and would probably cost more than Wayne. Another interesting option for me would be Robert Meachem.

Free agents? What are those?

I'm not entirely sure they aren't going to be forced to go into free agency this offseason. I would be 100% willing to let all of our FA go if it meant we could sign Carl Nicks (28-G) or Ben Grubbs(27-G).

I would want Ben Grubbs more than Nicks, and I think because Grubbs missed some time this season he would come cheaper!

Reggie isn't replaceable in my mind. I mean when he is given the chance he makes plays. I agree with Reggie "Just throw left", I have been screaming at the TV all season just throw to Reggie. I'm glad he got the game winning touchdown. I want him back, and I'll be upset he isn't here next year. If Reggie is not here next year Peyton won't be able to do what he does with Pierre. Pierre doesn't make plays like Reggie. I love Reggie and he better be. I don't see how people guess on Reggie's talent.

Reggie isn't replaceable in my mind. I mean when he is given the chance he makes plays. I agree with Reggie "Just throw left", I have been screaming at the TV all season just throw to Reggie. I'm glad he got the game winning touchdown. I want him back, and I'll be upset he isn't here next year. If Reggie is not here next year Peyton won't be able to do what he does with Pierre. Pierre doesn't make plays like Reggie. I love Reggie and he better be. I don't see how people guess on Reggie's talent.

i think its more of a cap issue... I would rather the Colts trade the Luck pick (if they even get it) and fill the voids on the team, and retain Mathis and Freeney! But if the Colts take Luck (if they even get the #1 pick) until the second round, will they be picking to fill voids, and there are far too many voids on this team, to be using a few draft picks on. Consider the second and third round players are probably the only other picks that represent starting talent! So to fill the voids you cannot keep the trent of over paying for your own. I like Wayne, but I would prefer most of the Colts extra cap space be used to upgrade the defense! And would rather some young talented receivers be drafted...if Wayne is going to want a pay raise, I think it would be unwise to resign him, unless the Colts were to upgrade their roster through the draft, by gaining more draft picks... that means trading down..

Thanks for the good post and I agree completely. You don't hear any of the other players saying those things and they are probably feeling it also especially all the players that are entering their contract years. I like Reggie but let things happen as they will. I would like to see him back but as a kings ransom I can't see where we can afford that. If Peyton can restructure his contract like he has done in the pass maybe some of the other players could do the same. Well I guess we will see how things pan out in the end.

Well if he goes and just "let things happen" he'll end up like James, Harrison etc.

i think its more of a cap issue... I would rather the Colts trade the Luck pick (if they even get it) and fill the voids on the team, and retain Mathis and Freeney! But if the Colts take Luck (if they even get the #1 pick) until the second round, will they be picking to fill voids, and there are far too many voids on this team, to be using a few draft picks on. Consider the second and third round players are probably the only other picks that represent starting talent! So to fill the voids you cannot keep the trent of over paying for your own. I like Wayne, but I would prefer most of the Colts extra cap space be used to upgrade the defense! And would rather some young talented receivers be drafted...if Wayne is going to want a pay raise, I think it would be unwise to resign him, unless the Colts were to upgrade their roster through the draft, by gaining more draft picks... that means trading down..

Personally I think we don't have to fill any gaps on offence. We are just playing the wrong personnel. Link should not be our RT it should be Ojinnaka. The game he got to start he played phenomenal. Until last night I thought Diem played well, but he got pushed by Watts all night. So RG I don't know who should play. Our LT is definitely Castonzo for years to come. Ijilana played well when got to play in at LG. Jeff isn't losing ability in my mind. Age could be an issue, but right now I don't see it as a factor. I mean the Titans had a 17year center when they beat us in 1999 playoffs. So age is different for everyone. Wide outs we should keep who we have. Rb is good for the Colts system. Defense we need a big Dt, although I liked Anderson and Brayton last night, a shutdown CB, and a SS. If Melvin can't stay healthy.

EDIT: Also last night Reggie said money wise someone has to make it work, would it be him? I don't know, but I hope it can all work out.

If we dont have Andrew Luck in the draft, we should get that Blackmon guy as WR. I know we have defensive needs but we really cant survive with Garcon and Collie long term.

If we dont have Andrew Luck in the draft, we should get that Blackmon guy as WR. I know we have defensive needs but we really cant survive with Garcon and Collie long term.

No, definitely not. We need a replacement of Reggie's time in Indy is up.

Blackmon is very plausible if we end up with the 3rd overall pick in the draft (would take a win at Jaguars and Vikings and Rams to lose all their remaining games). If it's 2nd overall, I say we entertain trade offers. Some teams will have a big interest in Matt Kalil and/or Robert Griffin.

No, definitely not. We need a replacement of Reggie's time in Indy is up.

Blackmon is very plausible if we end up with the 3rd overall pick in the draft (would take a win at Jaguars and Vikings and Rams to lose all their remaining games). If it's 2nd overall, I say we entertain trade offers. Some teams will have a big interest in Matt Kalil and/or Robert Griffin.

Really with Barkley going back, and say Griffin goes back, Colts should no doubt entertain ALL offers for Luck! If Manning is healthy!

Really with Barkley going back, and say Griffin goes back, Colts should no doubt entertain ALL offers for Luck! If Manning is healthy!

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely agree. I'm all for trading that pick if the Colts have it. I've just come to the conclusion, based on Irsays comments, that the Colts are taking Luck if they can.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely agree. I'm all for trading that pick if the Colts have it. I've just come to the conclusion, based on Irsays comments, that the Colts are taking Luck if they can.

Yep, a healthy Manning is his priority AND if we happen to get Luck, we will take him. Works for me. Just need a new DC. We got good bunch of defensive players.