Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Oak and SD both moved to LA....

oldunclemark

why would one team have to move to the NFC?

I would guess it would have something to do with scheduling and the fact that they would both get an extra home game each year. I've seen it mentioned in a few articles. The Raiders owner has actually said he would be fine with the Raiders moving to the NFC West.

why would one team have to move to the NFC?

This would eliminate the need for the two teams to face off in the same stadium 4 times every season. Being in the same division means they have to face off against each other twice every year. This would get old and ticket sales would suffer. Who wants to buy season tickets when you know 4 of those 16 games are going to feature the same two teams every single year??? A brand new stadium can't sell tickets with a sales pitch like "Come watch two teams leave it all on the field FOUR times EVERY year!"

Taking one team that shares that stadium out of the AFC West and swapping it with an NFC West team ensures that the two teams sharing the stadium only face off a max of one time in the regualr season and another possibility in the playoffs.

This would eliminate the need for the two teams to face off in the same stadium 4 times every season. Being in the same division means they have to face off against each other twice every year. This would get old and ticket sales would suffer. Who wants to buy season tickets when you know 4 of those 16 games are going to feature the same two teams every single year??? A brand new stadium can't sell tickets with a sales pitch like "Come watch two teams leave it all on the field FOUR times EVERY year!"

Taking one team that shares that stadium out of the AFC West and swapping it with an NFC West team ensures that the two teams sharing the stadium only face off a max of one time in the regualr season and another possibility in the playoffs.

There would NOT be four games - there are two games with division rival, they would simply both be home games for each team.  The home team would be which ever team was designated so the home fans would have the seats and the "away" team would have to buy the away team tickets.  

I have heard that it would require one team to go the the NFC - I can't remember if I heard in on local radio, in the announcement or where.  That would eliminate the two games at the same stadium and also probably make scheduling for potential playoffs much easier.    

There are financial problems in San Diego.  I remember hearing a lot about how the state worker's unions have huge retirement and benefits packages that have put tremendous pressure on cities.  Other than that, I move 11 years ago so I'm not up on the city budget politics.

Hey GAFT, 

It's no secret that I have a ton of respect for QB Philip Rivers & how darn good he truly is since he always gave Peyton Manning fits in Indianapolis. Do you think there's any validity to the rumor that Philip might end up in Tennessee? I want him to remain with San Diego & retire as a Charger. 

Part of my wish is selfish because he so talented & elite in my mind that he scares me & I never wanna see him in the AFC South, but I never thought Manning would be a Bronco & it still happened. 

What are your thoughts on Philip Rivers if the team does in fact move? Do you see him leaving Powder Blue Nation? I sincerely hope not.

My apologies to you, if this subject is too difficult to discuss right now. No need to answer. I just wanted you to know much I admire your quarterback as a competitor, father, & person that's all. 

Hey GAFT, 

It's no secret that I have a ton of respect for QB Philip Rivers & how darn good he truly is since he always gave Peyton Manning fits in Indianapolis. Do you think there's any validity to the rumor that Philip might end up in Tennessee? I want him to remain with San Diego & retire as a Charger. 

Part of my wish is selfish because he so talented & elite in my mind that he scares me & I never wanna see him in the AFC South, but I never thought Manning would be a Bronco & it still happened. 

What are your thoughts on Philip Rivers if the team does in fact move? Do you see him leaving Powder Blue Nation? I sincerely hope not.

My apologies to you, if this subject is too difficult to discuss right now. 

You made me laugh at the painful comment... I'm in such denial I can't even entertain the thought!

However, Tom Telesco (GM) has insisted that there is absolutely no truth to the rumors, as has Coach McCoy.  I believe Philip is pressuring the Chargers to work at staying in San Diego, something that the fans should appreciate.  Telesco, McCoy and the ownership all want him to retire a Charger.  He's in control.  He wants to see them beef up his protection and the rest of the team.  I wouldn't at all be surprised if money is very little of an issue.  It's about being able to stay healthy for the rest of his career and have a shot at winning it all.

He was really hurt last year, though he characteristically downplays it.  I think Gates is the one who was really standing up for him by telling the truth.  If you see some of the footage of the games where he was hit HARD and was in massive pain.  I don't know how he managed to finish the season.

I love the man and hope he retires a Charger after winning a couple Super Bowls! 

You made me laugh at the painful comment... I'm in such denial I can't even entertain the thought!

However, Tom Telesco (GM) has insisted that there is absolutely no truth to the rumors, as has Coach McCoy.  I believe Philip is pressuring the Chargers to work at staying in San Diego, something that the fans should appreciate.  Telesco, McCoy and the ownership all want him to retire a Charger.  He's in control.  He wants to see them beef up his protection and the rest of the team.  I wouldn't at all be surprised if money is very little of an issue.  It's about being able to stay healthy for the rest of his career and have a shot at winning it all.

He was really hurt last year, though he characteristically downplays it.  I think Gates is the one who was really standing up for him by telling the truth.  If you see some of the footage of the games where he was hit HARD and was in massive pain.  I don't know how he managed to finish the season.

I love the man and hope he retires a Charger after winning a couple Super Bowls! 

Yeah, I heard Coach McCoy say that Philip is under contract, we have no intentions of releasing him, & we want him to retire as a Charger so the coaching staff is saying the right things publicly. Yes, Phillip is very tough  with a high pain thresh hold no doubt. Rivers will never be referred to as a "cream puff" by me ever. He needs RB Danny Woodhead to take off some of the pressure next season though. You know Phillip is good when he makes you forget that some dude named Drew Brees used to run the show in California too. Also, I think it was you who clued me into the fact that Rivers trash talks from the 1950's era stuff like  "Gee Wilkers Dadeo." LOL!  If the team wins the division crown, I'm sure that Rivers will take his teammates down to the soda fountain shop for some strawberry ice cream sundaes too. Just Kidding! 

He's easily capable of winning 2 SBs GAFT. The way Philip systematically tore thru Seattle's defense & secondary in 100 degree heat was very impressive too. 

Glad I made you laugh. I can't see Phillip or his wife overjoyed about the possibility of moving either. They have a large family to relocate more than 2 kids anyway. It's nice to hear the HC & GM on the same priority page keeping Phillip as their fearless leader moving forward. 

Plus, the San Diego Super Chargers jiggle has a colorful history. The LA Chargers just doesn't have the same panache ring to it does it? Nope. Not even close.