Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts449 Mock Draft 3-17.

why are we wasting picks on WR and QB? and two safeties and this terrible class? 

Amos and Tartt could end up being the best safeties in the class though. Its actually very likely. And the WR and QB thing is because Lewis has tons of potential IMO. He's a big 6'4 guy from a small school that could develop into a very good wide out IMO. Brandon Bridge is a QB with a cannon of an arm but no accuracy. He could develop into a decent backup after Hasslebeck retires if he improves on his accuracy at all. If Lewis is there in the 6th he could be a high reward type pick. If we could get a backup QB in the 7th that'd be awesome because in that round there'll only be 2 or 3 guys that's even on a roster in a year or two, so its not like we're going to find some stud defensive player or anything.

Our D-Line would look like this. Jones-Phillips-Langford as the starters. With Richardson, Chapman, Hughes, and Kerr as the backups. I think Bobby Richardson is going to be a star DE, I mean a star. Super athletic at 6'3 285. He could have an impact as a rookie, so he'd be getting a lot of snaps IMO.

Our D-Line would look like this. Jones-Phillips-Langford as the starters. With Richardson, Chapman, Hughes, and Kerr as the backups. I think Bobby Richardson is going to be a star DE, I mean a star. Super athletic at 6'3 285. He could have an impact as a rookie, so he'd be getting a lot of snaps IMO.

I like this kid Lott an terry Williams I'm gonna look in to richerson

Our D-Line would look like this. Jones-Phillips-Langford as the starters. With Richardson, Chapman, Hughes, and Kerr as the backups. I think Bobby Richardson is going to be a star DE, I mean a star. Super athletic at 6'3 285. He could have an impact as a rookie, so he'd be getting a lot of snaps IMO.

Chapman is not losing his starting spot to a rookie... You guys are going to be REALLY disappointed when a NT or any DL is not picked in the early part of the draft. Our scheme doesn't use one (NT) enough to make a need out of drafting one high. I understand Phillips can play multiple spots, but I think there is better value there than him. To be honest I'm not sure Phillips falls to us anyways.

1) Jordan Phillips, DT

2) Jaquiski Tartt, SS

3) Bobby Richardson, DT

4) Adrian Amos, FS

5) Troy Hill, CB

6) Dezmin Lewis, WR

6) Jake Ryan, LB

7) Brandon Bridge, QB

Jordan Phillips is one of those guys that when I watch more and more tape of him, I like him less and less. I'd rather get Goldman or Carl Davis instead. Love Tartt and Amos. I know nothing about Bobby Richardson, so I will check him out, you have me very curious. Hill I can get on board with. Jake Ryan is someone I absolutely love. He can play ILB and OLB and I believe he fits our scheme. Lewis I'm fine with, though I think there are better options at that point like Austin Hill and Titus Davis at WR. I'll pass on the QB there as well and take the BPA. Maybe someone fell from the 5th or 6th round to the end of the draft due to injuries or character concerns and we can take a low risk/high reward type of guy there. 

Should be interesting when draft day comes, I agree we need to beef up the D-Line, I hope we get Arik Armstead to do so in the 1st. It'll be 50/50 whether he falls. 

Should be interesting when draft day comes, I agree we need to beef up the D-Line, I hope we get Arik Armstead to do so in the 1st. It'll be 50/50 whether he falls. 

YES... Lets draft another Werner-type player and HOPE he eventually learns how to play at the professional level with our first pick... !

1) Jordan Phillips, DT

2) Jaquiski Tartt, SS

3) Bobby Richardson, DT

4) Adrian Amos, FS

5) Troy Hill, CB

6) Dezmin Lewis, WR

6) Jake Ryan, LB

7) Brandon Bridge, QB

I think Tartt is a round or two early.

I think Amos might be a round early.

Richardson, is interesting....   I never heard of him before tonight.    ESPN has a 7th round grade on him.   NFL.com has a profile on him -- didn't see it before tonight -- and they've given him roughly a 3rd round grade.    So,  someone is off on the kid...

Either way,  he feels at least one round too early.

No reason to be spending a pick on a QB.    We can sign an undrafted free agent to have depth during practice....

As for Phillips....   the writings about him in the last week or so have cooled me on him a bit....  not sure he is who we hope he is....  he may be a 2nd round talent who gets drafted early based on "need"....   and that rarely works out....

Just thinking out loud.....

YES... Lets draft another Werner-type player and HOPE he eventually learns how to play at the professional level with our first pick... !

Werner type player? Armstead is a 3-4 DE, Werner was a 4-3 DE that didn't make the transition to 3-4 OLB very well on our team. Next time do your research before making yourself look stupid. The reason to draft Armstead is, UNLIKE WERNER, he fits our scheme.

Werner type player? Armstead is a 3-4 DE, Werner was a 4-3 DE that didn't make the transition to 3-4 OLB very well on our team. Next time do your research before making yourself look stupid. The reason to draft Armstead is, UNLIKE WERNER, he fits our scheme.

Hell of a job of completely missing the point... I will put it simple for you beings comprehension seems to fall short for some people.. NO MORE RAW PROJECT PLAYERS IN THE FIRST ROUND..

Chapman is not losing his starting spot to a rookie... You guys are going to be REALLY disappointed when a NT or any DL is not picked in the early part of the draft. Our scheme doesn't use one (NT) enough to make a need out of drafting one high. I understand Phillips can play multiple spots, but I think there is better value there than him. To be honest I'm not sure Phillips falls to us anyways.

Colts use the 7th highest percentage of plays with a NT. 

unless Collins, Gordon, or a top end Dlinemen is on the board still at 29....i wouldnt be upset if we traded out of the first round for a 2nd, 3rd and anything else we can get.

rounds 1-3 need to be D Line, S & RB.

rounds 3-7 need to be LB, OL, CB & WR

plenty of depth in the draft at the positions we need. if we can get 2 maybe 3 picks in return for our #1 i think its definately worth it in the later rounds....

Hmm.. I thought I saw a statistic that said we were in or around the 60% (maybe that equates to 7th highest) mark in using a NT. You've put way more into this draft as a whole than I have, however if NT is that "guy" we need who is of value that will be there that can come in and take over for Chapman/Hughes? Does Goldman make it down to us? He's about the only one I see that MIGHT come in and push either of those two.

Hmm.. I thought I saw a statistic that said we were in or around the 60% mark in using a NT

Yeah the thing about that statistic is that we also have a NT (mostly 1-tech) playing in our 4-man fronts (which aren't really 4 man fronts in the sense of the term, it's really our base D with the RUSH LB with his hand in the dirt). RJF played the nose a lot in those packages. 

. You've put way more into this draft as a whole than I have, however if NT is that "guy" we need who is of value that will be there that can come in and take over for Chapman/Hughes? Does Goldman make it down to us? He's about the only one I see that MIGHT come in and push either of those two.

Just in the first round you mean?I think Goldman and Phillips are both much more talented players than Chapman and Hughes. Though I think Goldman is more of your "pure NT" and Phillips is a better option at 5-tech. 

The reason not to draft Armstead is, he will be a project just like Werner.  Every analysis has him as a raw player ( project).

Why do people compare Werner to Armstead? Armstead is extremely athletic for his position.

They are/were both extremely raw players with potential/high ceiling, that was the comparison that was being made. However, Armstead has technique issues and a half-assed motor at times. He's going to need a year or two to develop in my opinion, and from there you hope he turns out to be that guy you had hoped for. Athleticism only gets him so far in the NFL, especially when he's lining up against guys equally or more athletic than him. I just don't see him as that consistently dominant 5-tech we are looking for.

Yeah the thing about that statistic is that we also have a NT (mostly 1-tech) playing in our 4-man fronts (which aren't really 4 man fronts in the sense of the term, it's really our base D with the RUSH LB with his hand in the dirt). RJF played the nose a lot in those packages.

Makes sense.. I viewed it more as him sliding in and playing the UT role. As you stated it though that does make sense.

Just in the first round you mean?I think Goldman and Phillips are both much more talented players than Chapman and Hughes. Though I think Goldman is more of your "pure NT" and Phillips is a better option at 5-tech.

I'd be ok with Goldman at our pick, but if Phillips is there, and the Colts want him, would it be possible to swing back a handful of picks and still be able to grab him?

I like a lot of the players you have in your mock, but seems like a lot of reaching. Seems like most are being drafted about a round early. I was really high on Phillips as well, but now I am liking the Eddie Goldman pick or Shaq Thompson in the first instead. I actually like the Brandon Bridge pick in the 7th. A lot of arm talent just needs to be coached up could be a solid backup for Luck for the future. Not a big fan of Richardson in the 3rd seems to be shut down one on one against average lineman too often. Dezmin Lewis would be awesome in the 6th, but I think he will be a 4th-5th rounder based on a team reaching for upside. Nice mock draft though seems like some reaching, but overall I would be ok with this.