Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade for a safety idea

Who's He? :scratch:

He's the Dolphins primary safety, pinged early last year with a 4 game suspension for PEDs. Overall he grades out as above average on the curve through some of the more fluid metrics.

his hard stats from last year at SS

12 games started

Tackles: 70, 10 assists

INTs: 3

Forced Fumbles:1, 1 recovered

Sacks: 1 (8 yards)

Passes Defenced: 7

numbers per rotoworld.

He's the Dolphins primary safety, pinged early last year with a 4 game suspension for PEDs. Overall he grades out as above average on the curve through some of the more fluid metrics.

his hard stats from last year at SS

12 games started

Tackles: 70, 10 assists

INTs: 3

Forced Fumbles:1, 1 recovered

Sacks: 1 (8 yards)

Passes Defenced: 7

numbers per rotoworld.

Not what we need,not another dope user

Ok, so I'm a little dumb in this area, but can someone seriously tell me the difference between a FS and a CB ? Is there any reason why we can't draft a CB to play FS? 

CBs are coverage guys meant to match up against receivers, in the Colts case generally in 1 on 1 matchups. Safeties have multiple duties sitting over the top, including providing double team support for receivers that pop over the top, helping cover the middle of the field, or coming up to the second level to hit a RB that made it through the initial contact.

They are entirely different positions, and although some corners have successfully converted to safety if they don't quite have the speed to compete, its not something you usually see.

CBs are coverage guys meant to match up against receivers, in the Colts case generally in 1 on 1 matchups. Safeties have multiple duties sitting over the top, including providing double team support for receivers that pop over the top, helping cover the middle of the field, or coming up to the second level to hit a RB that made it through the initial contact.

They are entirely different positions, and although some corners have successfully converted to safety if they don't quite have the speed to compete, its not something you usually see

Maybe I should have been more clear. Most of the time, a FS helps in coverage, and most of the time a SS helps in run defense. They both have to cover the middle of the field and such, I get that. I just don't get why a Corner can't play Free Safety. Are they not built for it? Smart enough for it? I just honestly don't see why someone like Alterraun Verner couldn't play safety. It makes sense you would want more of a zone corner than a man to man corner in my mind. Like I don't see Revis being a good FS, even though he is an excellent corner. Am I making sense?

Maybe I should have been more clear. Most of the time, a FS helps in coverage, and most of the time a SS helps in run defense. They both have to cover the middle of the field and such, I get that. I just don't get why a Corner can't play Free Safety. Are they not built for it? Smart enough for it? I just honestly don't see why someone like Alterraun Verner couldn't play safety. It makes sense you would want more of a zone corner than a man to man corner in my mind. Like I don't see Revis being a good FS, even though he is an excellent corner. Am I making sense?

Safety has to be more of a hitter...and a very sure tackler...but yes a bigger corner could fill the void.....I actually thought targeting Dee Millner as a project would be a good idea....clearly his time in NY didn't go well and they are acquiring corners like hot potatoes....I know he had an injury last year and fell out of favor but he is a little bigger corner at 6'0 and like 210 I think...always was a good hitter in college and in run support...thought he might make a good cover safety for a mid rd pick....if we were going to go that route of coverting someone.