Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Clint Boling likely to hit FA

IMO, he's the best guard on the market this year, and this is from the Bengals website, practically guaranteeing that he won't have a deal before the market opens.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Combine-takeaways/0ea941c6-582f-4b90-a47f-d3c070019cc9?campaign=cin:fanshare:twitter

MARCH 10

That’s when free agency starts and although the Bengals would like to re-sign some of their own (left guardClint Boling, middle linebacker Rey Maualuga, and kicker Mike Nugent) don’t look for a deal before then. No one likes to bid against themselves, player or team. With Gresham rated as high as the fourth best tight end available, that doesn’t look like a number that’s going to fit.

If they can't sign Boling, the options probably start in the draft, where there are guys that can play both guard and tackle.

Best bet there's a difference. Iupati is arguably the best Run blocking guard in the game.

i would be fine with Mr. Boling as our Gaurd but, if you are serious about taking pressure off of Luck and featuring a more balanced attack... Iupati is the guy you pay for... and you pay top dollar.

i would be fine with Mr. Boling as our Gaurd but, if you are serious about taking pressure off of Luck and featuring a more balanced attack... Iupati is the guy you pay for... and you pay top dollar.

Iupati may be a great run blocker,  but apparently not so much of a pass blocker.

He's got a great reputation.   And this is the free agency where he gets paid.   He's likely looking for far more than we can afford or want to spend on a guard.

Until he has to pass block, where he would then open the pressure valve and let it flow.

Mewhort is best at LG and I don't see him being moved, least of all kicked outside to tackle again.

I agree that he's better at LG, but both Iupati and Boling play on the left side so somebody would have to move over. I figured Mewhort would be the one moved. There's a lot of different possibilities, we'll see how everything unfolds in free agency.

I agree that he's better at LG, but both Iupati and Boling play on the left side so somebody would have to move over. I figured Mewhort would be the one moved. There's a lot of different possibilities, we'll see how everything unfolds in free agency.

Any of the three can play RG. I'd have Boling play RG, not Mewhort.

Boling is an above average run blocker and an above average pass blocker. Iupati is a top tier run blocker. With #12 being on of the most hit QBs 3 years in a row I know which I would rather have.

Look I wouldn't mind either guard. For our colts, if the $ isn't much of a difference go iupati. I don't think he's a bad pass blocker like you seem to label him. Of course, when you have Kap that runs around the pocket like a chicken with his head off, any guard can look mediocre. Andrews movement in the pocket is exceptional so he would just need to hold up his man, or the stunt man. I'd prefer to have a line that can get a push on 1st and 3rd and short, something we haven't had since Glenn retired.

Iupati may be a great run blocker,  but apparently not so much of a pass blocker.

He's got a great reputation.   And this is the free agency where he gets paid.   He's likely looking for far more than we can afford or want to spend on a guard.

I just think he would be better off pass blocking for Luck than he would be for Kaepernick.

Iupati's success as a pass blocker is dependent on the abilities of the passer. Luck is a good decision maker and he is just as shifty as Kaepernick if he has to be.

I think the reward outweighs the risk...

Until he has to pass block, where he would then open the pressure valve and let it flow.

I certainly hope if we sign a guy who is "the best run blocker in the league" that he would be doing more of that and less pass blocking.

Luck could hide those flaws for him... its a two way road.

Regardless, Luck did a lot of passing this past season out of necessity... IF we go after Iupati then I think it is obvious that last season's numbers will be a bit more difficult to produce for Luck and that this would be by design. However, an effective run game could just make it easier for Luck to get there again. Only time will tell.