Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jets D played Brady tougher than Seattle

amfootball

I have watched the Super Bowl now a couple of times since Sunday and came away feeling that the Jets defense and Ryan's scheme was much better at slowing down the Pats offense than Seattle.

The biggest take away is the fact that Seattle just lines up and plays D. There is no motion, no guys moving around and as a result Brady would just walk to the line, call out the mike LB and snap the ball. Rex Ryan always says that if Brady knows what's coming he will pick you apart. And that is exactly what happened Sunday. Brady just stood there and found the open guy every time.

Perhaps the most telling part was in the Sound FX video of the game. Prior to the last TD drive from the Pats, Belichick comes over to Brady and says, "Let's just make sure we have no negative plays out there. The chances of this defense playing three good downs in a row is not every good. Their pass rushers are running by you and they are getting displaced in their zones."

I know this has been the best defense in the league the last two years but they looked anything but that vs the Pats. I would have feared the Jets defense more than this team.

I have watched the Super Bowl now a couple of times since Sunday and came away feeling that the Jets defense and Ryan's scheme was much better at slowing down the Pats offense than Seattle.

The biggest take away is the fact that Seattle just lines up and plays D. There is no motion, no guys moving around and as a result Brady would just walk to the line, call out the mike LB and snap the ball. Rex Ryan always says that if Brady knows what's coming he will pick you apart. And that is exactly what happened Sunday. Brady just stood there and found the open guy every time.

Perhaps the most telling part was in the Sound FX video of the game. Prior to the last TD drive from the Pats, Belichick comes over to Brady and says, "Let's just make sure we have no negative plays out there. The chances of this defense playing three good downs in a row is not every good. Their pass rushers are running by you and they are getting displaced in their zones."

I know this has been the best defense in the league the last two years but they looked anything but that vs the Pats. I would have feared the Jets defense more than this team.

Ryan, I'm convinced, is obsessed with the Patriots the way Captain Ahab was obsessed with Moby Dick. I thought for sure he'd look into the Atlanta job, where they have an established QB. Instead, he jumps at the Buffalo job where basically they have the same situation as the Jets with a strong D and no QB. I just think the guy likes competing against Brady/Bill and he's pretty good at drawing up defensive schemes. Buffalo is going to be a tough out next year. Carroll is on record as saying they don't change up what they do...they believe they are good enough to beat anybody on talent alone. It was clear from the 2nd or 3rd play of the game the other day that they had no answer for the short passing game/YAC that Edelman and Amendola brought to the table. When you re-watch that game, the Pats really should have won that game more easily than they did. They were the dominant team for 3 of the 4 quarters. The end zone pick, the defensive breakdown that led to the halftime TD, and a couple of deep balls were what kept that game from being a blow-out imo.

I think the injuries in the secondary had something to do with it. The thing with Seattle is they will let people get open for those dink and dunk passes, but usually hit them hard after the catch it. In the super bowl they were missing tackles which allowed YAC.

Maybe because (just speculating here) Sherman needed tommy john, chancellor had a torn mcl, Thomas had a torn labrum, Lane broke his wrist into a 90 degree angle, and Avril left w a concussion, and they still did everything to win the game. Look at YAC im last year's SB vs this one, night and day and both SBs had 35+ completions vs the secondary.

Ryan, I'm convinced, is obsessed with the Patriots the way Captain Ahab was obsessed with Moby Dick. I thought for sure he'd look into the Atlanta job, where they have an established QB. Instead, he jumps at the Buffalo job where basically they have the same situation as the Jets with a strong D and no QB. I just think the guy likes competing against Brady/Bill and he's pretty good at drawing up defensive schemes. Buffalo is going to be a tough out next year. Carroll is on record as saying they don't change up what they do...they believe they are good enough to beat anybody on talent alone. It was clear from the 2nd or 3rd play of the game the other day that they had no answer for the short passing game/YAC that Edelman and Amendola brought to the table. When you re-watch that game, the Pats really should have won that game more easily than they did. They were the dominant team for 3 of the 4 quarters. The end zone pick, the defensive breakdown that led to the halftime TD, and a couple of deep balls were what kept that game from being a blow-out imo.

A blow out? Really? The Seahawks best defenders were injured and it still took a bone head play for the Patriots to win. I know you are a Patriot fan but keep it real.

Maybe because (just speculating here) Sherman needed tommy john, chancellor had a torn mcl, Thomas had a torn labrum, Lane broke his wrist into a 90 degree angle, and Avril left w a concussion, and they still did everything to win the game. Look at YAC im last year's SB vs this one, night and day and both SBs had 35+ completions vs the secondary.

Sherman was not thrown at all so he was a non-factor injury aside other than the fact that he covered well. Chancellor was not laboring at all. Did not even see a limp from him and he did a good job on Gronk when he had him one-on-one. In terms of the YAC, Edelman has been breaking tackles all year. That is his MO. He catches short and then gets YAC because he is so tough to bring down.

But aside from the physical side of things, I was more talking about scheme. The defensive line of the Hawks was pretty much non-existent in the second half as Bill alluded to when he said they are just flying by you when speaking to Tom. And then their secondary was out of position a lot in their zones which left the Pats receivers wide open. And why on earth they kept putting the LB one on one with Gronk I have no idea. He was burned every single time. As I said, Ryan has come up with much, much game plans to defense the Pats. I don't understand why you would go into that game thinking you could just line up and beat Brady. It was a terrible game plan from the start and really did not give their D much of a chance.

People make too much of Seattle's injuries. NE's gameplan was designed to render their best players in the secondary irrelevant by finding and taking advantage of mismatches. We were moving the ball well on them even when Lane and Avril were in the game.

Brady targeted Sherman only once, Thomas was irrelevant because we never attacked them deep. NE wins even if Seattle had been healthy.

That Lane INT was an uncharacteristic mistake by Brady. And that catch by Kearse was the flukiest catch I've ever seen. The game shouldn't have been as close as it was.

People make too much of Seattle's injuries. NE's gameplan was designed to render their best players in the secondary irrelevant by finding and taking advantage of mismatches. We were moving the ball well on them even when Lane and Avril were in the game.

Brady targeted Sherman only once, Thomas was irrelevant because we never attacked them deep. NE wins even if Seattle had been healthy.

That Lane INT was an uncharacteristic mistake by Brady. And that catch by Kearse was the flukiest catch I've ever seen. The game shouldn't have been as close as it was.

All of Seattle's points came on 4 consecutive drives, 2 at the end of the first half, then 2 at the beginning of the 2nd half. Not a single one of those scoring drives was the type of drive where you'd look at it and say "wow - they are starting to assert their will on the Pats". 2 of them were 70 yard drives that were keyed by semi-fluky 45 yard completions to Matthews (a guy who had never caught a pass before), one of them was the inexcusable 30 second drive where the Pats fell asleep on D, and the other came on a short field after the 2nd interception. Other than those 4 drives, they had four 3 and outs and 2 other series where they got one first down, then punted...meanwhile the pats gave away points with the end zone pick. That should have been a comfortable win for the Pats.

That's the game they got injured in. Besides it was the Packers who gave that game away just like the Seahawks did to the Patriots.

oh I see...so your point then is that Sherman had 2 weeks to recover? I agree - he looked much better back there vs the Pats than he did running around with his arm frozen in the bent position during the GB game.

Sherman was not thrown at all so he was a non-factor injury aside other than the fact that he covered well. Chancellor was not laboring at all. Did not even see a limp from him and he did a good job on Gronk when he had him one-on-one. In terms of the YAC, Edelman has been breaking tackles all year. That is his MO. He catches short and then gets YAC because he is so tough to bring down.

But aside from the physical side of things, I was more talking about scheme. The defensive line of the Hawks was pretty much non-existent in the second half as Bill alluded to when he said they are just flying by you when speaking to Tom. And then their secondary was out of position a lot in their zones which left the Pats receivers wide open. And why on earth they kept putting the LB one on one with Gronk I have no idea. He was burned every single time. As I said, Ryan has come up with much, much game plans to defense the Pats. I don't understand why you would go into that game thinking you could just line up and beat Brady. It was a terrible game plan from the start and really did not give their D much of a chance.

Losing Avril (concussion) had a bit of a trickle-down effect. It limited how much they were able to move Bennett around. 

You're right though, Rex - from a scheme and game plan standpoint - is as good at defending Brady as any coach has really ever been. Brady said in December that Ryan "tests every part of your game." 

I thought Brady moved the ball well before Avril went out.

He did for sure. It just slowed down Seattle's pass rush a bit, I thought. For a while there, Bennett was getting within two or three steps of Brady seemingly on every play. Tom was also getting rid of the ball pretty quick there, which was key. 

Brady had a lot of throws where he hung in there knowing he'd get walloped. I chuckle anytime I see someone write, "All you have to do is get pressure on Brady and he'll wet himself." People say that because of the Uggs deal and his pretty boy image. But Justin Tuck and I strongly disagree with that statement.  ;)  He took some crazy hits and is as tough as they come. 

He did for sure. It just slowed down Seattle's pass rush a bit, I thought. For a while there, Bennett was getting within two or three steps of Brady seemingly on every play. Tom was also getting rid of the ball pretty quick there, which was key. 

Brady had a lot of throws where he hung in there knowing he'd get walloped. I chuckle anytime I see someone write, "All you have to do is get pressure on Brady and he'll wet himself." People say that because of the Uggs deal and his pretty boy image. But Justin Tuck and I strongly disagree with that statement.  ;)  He took some crazy hits and is as tough as they come. 

I thought it was his best Super Bowl performance for that reason. He was statistically better vs the Panthers but they did not have the same defense as the Hawks. He had to take his hits for the Pats to win especially dropping back 50 times. I got the sense all season that he was on a mission. Nice to see him finish the job.

The Seattle defense was hit with the following...

Injuries to Sherman, Thomas, Chancellor, one of their top pass rushing DL's (whose name escapes me)  and Lane,  their nickel back.

I don't think you got their best.  

Either way,  New England won,  props to you.

Injuries to Sherman, Thomas, Chancellor, one of their top pass rushing DL's (whose name escapes me)  and Lane,  their nickel back.

Cliff Avril.

NE certainly benefited from many of Seattle's key defenders not being 100%. But hey, they were out there. Can't control who the other team is playing and who they're sitting. You just take advantage of it if you can. 

Cliff Avril.

NE certainly benefited from many of Seattle's key defenders not being 100%. But hey, they were out there. Can't control who the other team is playing and who they're sitting. You just take advantage of it if you can. 

No question.

I was only responding to amfootball who commented that the NY Jets played NE tougher than Seattle did.

I think that's a little myopic.

No question.

I was only responding to amfootball who commented that the NY Jets played NE tougher than Seattle did.

I think that's a little myopic.

She's not really wrong though... Ryan's been giving Brady fits for a while now, and with relatively terrible teams. I don't know if the Seahawks were so injured that it impacted the outcome... I don't think anyone really does. Rex Ryan just does a really good job of preparing teams to play the Patriots. He's had a lot of practice doing it.  ;)

That may be true but I was more commenting on it from a scheme perspective. If Brady knows what you are doing pre-snap then you are a sitting duck. Rex Ryan says this over and over and why he has been so successful at frustrating Brady with his exotic blitzes and schemes that always seem to keep him off balance.

I think I was disappointed more than anything from what I saw from Seattle. They had to know the Pats would run their short passing game and then look to get favorable match-ups down the field with Gronk and both happened. It was like Seattle had no plan for the short passes and for some unknown reason thought it was a good idea to put a LB one on one with Gronk.

Folks will talk about the last play forever but what was telling to me was Thomas saying prior to Seattle's last drive that Russell was putting the team on his back. Who on earth predicted that? Most thought the Seattle D would carry the day the way it has against Rodgers and Manning last year and it was shredded. It is a shame really that Russel threw that last pick and became a goat as if they had won, it would have been due in large part to him.

I think I was disappointed more than anything from what I saw from Seattle. They had to know the Pats would run their short passing game and then look to get favorable match-ups down the field with Gronk and both happened. It was like Seattle had no plan for the short passes and for some unknown reason thought it was a good idea to put a LB one on one with Gronk.

If you were following the Patriots during the Carroll years, this probably wasn't all that surprising to you.

AMFootball is very correct.

But then again, the Jets being a divisional foe to the Pats, they get to play against the Patriots a lot, and much more time goes into their game than the Seahawks had prepared for.

Everyone rags on the Jets too but I don't think their defense was that bad. Rex can make things happen with lesser talent. Going to Buffalo is bad news since he will have play makers. 

I am tired of the excuses that Seattle's defense is getting. Green Bay set the blueprint to stopping that team. Rodgers was 50% and he still worked over that defense very well. If the Packers would not have melted down like that, Seattle would not have reached the Super Bowl, in fact I don't think they should have. As bad as they played vs GB, I guess the writing really was on the wall that they'd fall soon.

Most of all, Seattle's offense is pathetic. Wilson only had one completion in that game in the 3rd quarter. He had Tebow numbers most of the day. 4 interceptions. The pressure GB put on him all day really came through.

All GB needed was that field goal in the first quarter where Rodgers threw the pick to Sherman in the endzone. GB dominated them in that game. I'd like to think the Packers would have put up a better fight vs the Patriots, cause I know Seattle was LUCKY LUCKY LUCKY in that game. Had that circus catch not happened, no one on this board would constantly be saying "dumbest play call ever" on the final play. Seattle's receivers were lucky to catch what they caught in that game, since the Patriots were all over them.

I agree with the original post, the Jets did play them better. 

Seattle's defense is good, but people forget how many good quarterbacks they've played. That team played horrible QB's after they lost to Romo. Rodgers was the first real good QB they had played in many months, and he nearly beat them even though he was playing injured. 

Go back to that final drive for GB. Where was Seattle's defense at? They let him drive down the field in less than a minute to kick the FG and go into OT. They had the same screw up vs Manning in week 3. 

I'm actually glad Seattle lost this last Super Bowl. They had no business being there. They did not deserve it after they needed miracles to defeat Green Bay. And then in the SB, New England would have beat them by 11 if Brady don't throw that first INT in the end zone. The Pats deserved it far more and they overcame more obstacles than Seattle who refused to fix their problems and then got completely exposed vs a better team that showed the formula to stop their pathetic offense. 

If that Lane pick don't happen, the Pats score on that drive and go up 7-0 early (and then 14-0, and then 21-14 at the half) meaning they win 35-24. 

I keep telling people that over and over. Seattle did not really do much in that game. I totally do not think Seattle gave them the game whatsoever, cause they were lucky to even be there. That circus catch shouldn't have happened, and they fiddled around after going up 24-14. They deserved to lose. 

Not only does NE win if Seattle is healthy, they would have put the game away. I don't get why people act surprised by this. Green Bay was up 16-0 most of the day vs Seattle. They got exposed. They're not the juggernaut everyone thought they were. 

If that Lane pick don't happen, the Pats score on that drive and go up 7-0 early (and then 14-0, and then 21-14 at the half) meaning they win 35-24. 

I keep telling people that over and over. Seattle did not really do much in that game. I totally do not think Seattle gave them the game whatsoever, cause they were lucky to even be there. That circus catch shouldn't have happened, and they fiddled around after going up 24-14. They deserved to lose. 

Not only does NE win if Seattle is healthy, they would have put the game away. I don't get why people act surprised by this. Green Bay was up 16-0 most of the day vs Seattle. They got exposed. They're not the juggernaut everyone thought they were. 

Overall I agree- but that's still on paper. Reality is NE won by a good/well executed even lucky play and GB lost by a poorly executed on sides.

But that's the reality of football - always has been and always will be. You can't keep the weird wrinkles out in a football game.

I dunno about Seattle defense- if they were #1 in the important categories like PA etc that's pretty good.

I'd like to see a debate on Seattle D vs 85 Bears D Although comparing eras just never works.

NE had the best net yards in the NFL with 155 while Seattle was 140. They gave up 254 pts which is good.

Bears gave up like 190 or 205 pts

Overall I agree- but that's still on paper. Reality is NE won by a good/well executed even lucky play and GB lost by a poorly executed on sides.

But that's the reality of football - always has been and always will be. You can't keep the weird wrinkles out in a football game.

I dunno about Seattle defense- if they were #1 in the important categories like PA etc that's pretty good.

I'd like to see a debate on Seattle D vs 85 Bears D Although comparing eras just never works.

I'd take the 85 Bears over them easily. Different era though. 

I think Seattle had a much easier road to the SB than the Pats. The Pats could have easily lost to Baltimore. Before GB, the Panthers were giving Seattle a bit of fits in that game. During the regular season they struggled a bit with good QB's. I was shocked how the Giants stayed in their game. 

I'd take the 85 Bears over them easily. Different era though. 

I think Seattle had a much easier road to the SB than the Pats. The Pats could have easily lost to Baltimore. Before GB, the Panthers were giving Seattle a bit of fits in that game. During the regular season they struggled a bit with good QB's. I was shocked how the Giants stayed in their game. 

Yeah I would agree their road was easier which would account for lower PA.

Pats had that critical 5 game stretch (two on the west coast) of good teams that gave them the mark. 

In fact it may have just been the bonding of staying out in CA in hotel rooms that might have put the finishing touches on the chemistry of the team. Chemistry from top to bottom too. BB actually loved that team.

Chemistry is always a big factor and you can't buy, draft, or create.......