Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Belichick undefeated in playoffs when playing a team he has not played in regular season

amfootball

This is an unbelievable stat I heard yesterday. Bill Belichick since 2001 is a perfect 10-0 in the post-season vs teams he has NOT played in the regular season. He is 10-8 vs teams he has played in the regular season. So this bodes well for the Pats playing the Hawks given they did not play in the regular season.

I wonder if this has to do with the fact that the other team has not seen the Pats and therefore is underprepared whereas Bill will look through decades of film on his opponent and have his team more ready to exploit match-ups. Not sure but it is a fascinating stat and one that I hope continues in two weeks. :)

Years ago, even before Belichick began winning SBs, it was said that QBs struggled against a Belichick-led defense when facing his defense for the first time. Has Wilson faced the Pats before?

Another interesting stat I heard and read is that Russell Wison is 10-0 against Super Bowl-winning quarterbacks. One of those "10-0"s will be 10-1 in two weeks.

Years ago, even before Belichick began winning SBs, it was said that QBs struggled against a Belichick-led defense when facing his defense for the first time. Has Wilson faced the Pats before?

Another interesting stat I heard and read is that Russell Wison is 10-0 against Super Bowl-winning quarterbacks. One of those "10-0"s will be 10-1 in two weeks.

They did play in 2012 in Seattle. Hawks won 24-23 in the pouring rain. Brady torched their secondary for almost 400 yards ...

This is an unbelievable stat I heard yesterday. Bill Belichick since 2001 is a perfect 10-0 in the post-season vs teams he has NOT played in the regular season. He is 10-8 vs teams he has played in the regular season. So this bodes well for the Pats playing the Hawks given they did not play in the regular season.

I wonder if this has to do with the fact that the other team has not seen the Pats and therefore is underprepared whereas Bill will look through decades of film on his opponent and have his team more ready to exploit match-ups. Not sure but it is a fascinating stat and one that I hope continues in two weeks. :)

Everything ends eventually. Will interesting game but I think both qbs will be bad.i see a low scoring game and couldn't care who wins just hope its a good game

What is Pete Carroll's record as head coach in this same scenario?

He has a smaller sample size obviously but since 2010 Carroll has only played three total post-season games where he did not play the opponent during the season. He is 2-1 in those games. For opponents he has played he is 5-1.

He has a smaller sample size obviously but since 2010 Carroll has only played three total post-season games where he did not play the opponent during the season. He is 2-1 in those games. For opponents he has played he is 5-1.

Thanks. I wasn't sure and didn't want to waste time researching it. Should be an interesting matchup with these two teams and coaches. I have no doubt both sides will have some schemes and trickery planned. ;-)

It kind of makes sense. The Patriots use adaptable game-plans. They work to take away your favorite option on offense and make you play left-handed, and on the offensive side they switch things up based on the opponent's strengths and weaknesses. So going up against a team only once, they can sort of empty the bag, whereas game-planning for the same team twice would necessitate some tweaks the second time around. 

This is going to be a tough game to call ahead of time, especially with Sherman and Thomas nursing some injuries. The fact that the Patriots just played the Colts, who have a dangerous and mobile QB, should help carry over to containing Wilson. I think Luck is the better runner of the two, or at least he picks his spots a bit better. There's still a long way to go until Glendale so I'm sure it'll all be analyzed every which way... 

I wonder which team will have the 12th man in attendance? My bets on Seattle.

There hasn't been a predominantly Patriots-heavy crowd at any Super Bowls they've been in since Houston (win over Carolina). Philly fans flocked down to Jacksonville and by the time the Giants games came around the football watching universe was already fed up with New England.  ;)

My guess is that the crowd will be something like 70/30 Seattle fans. Not a full-fledged home field advantage, but enough so that it's obvious. It's a much longer trip from NE to AZ and a more expensive one to boot. 

Posted · Hidden by -JJ-, January 20, 2015 - baiting
Hidden by -JJ-, January 20, 2015 - baiting

sound your pat fan ,lol think your on wrong forum ? sound you love bb for a living ?  do see me are many other people spam the pats forum ?

sound your pat fan ,lol think your on wrong forum ? sound you love bb for a living ?  do see me are many other people spam the pats forum ?

Sounds more like you are new to the Colts forum. We seem to be the only open forum in the country. I tried to get into the Patriots forum and was turned down because of where I live. You will soon find out exactly how the Pats fans can get by with their comments. They are well thought out with just enough said but without breaking the rules. It does make for some pretty "interesting" debates though.

Yep, the moment the Packers lost, I knew the Patriots, if they won the AFCCG, would win the SB.

Packers would have posed enough issues with their talent at wideout more than the Seahawks, I feel. But then, Pete Carroll won the game due to his trick plays and getting lucky. Coaching wise, he will nullify Belichick but just not sure he has the Johnnys and Joes this time around. Plus, he is not playing a weak armed Peyton Manning.

The flip side of the argument is - when teams have gone against the physical nature of the Seahawks, they get blown out the first time but are more competitive the next time. Case in point - Saints, 49ers, Broncos last year.

However, this year, due to the loss of key DL players and speed on offense in Harvin and Tate, it is not the same menacing team, IMO.

They did play in 2012 in Seattle. Hawks won 24-23 in the pouring rain. Brady torched their secondary for almost 400 yards ...

Thanks for that. I did a search to see how Wilson performed against the Pats defense. The ending of that game was similar to that of last Sunday's game against the Packers.

As per the game recap, "Wilson found Sidney Rice behind the secondary for a 46-yard touchdown with 1:18 remaining, and the Seahawks rallied for 14 points in the final 7:31 to stun the New England Patriots 24-23 on Sunday."

Wilson was 16 of 27 for 293, 3 TDs, & 0 picks. Not bad numbers for a rookie against a Belichick defense.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/gamecast?gameId=321014026&version=mobile&src=desktop

Thanks for that. I did a search to see how Wilson performed against the Pats defense. The ending of that game was similar to that of last Sunday's game against the Packers.

As per the game recap, "Wilson found Sidney Rice behind the secondary for a 46-yard touchdown with 1:18 remaining, and the Seahawks rallied for 14 points in the final 7:31 to stun the New England Patriots 24-23 on Sunday."

Wilson was 16 of 27 for 293, 3 TDs, & 0 picks. Not bad numbers for a rookie against a Belichick defense.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/gamecast?gameId=321014026&version=mobile&src=desktop

It was in the pouring rain too. Great game. Most of Wilson's magic did come at the end. He is a special, special player. Pats will have to finish them if they get a lead.

• 2 weeks later...

Classic Belichick exploiting Michael Bennett's penchant for a false start. Great game!!!

Hate the Patriots but my hats off and congrats to them!!! Tom Brady IS the greatest QB under pressure, no doubt about it.

That was one reason I wanted the Packers playing the Patriots in the SB, because of Belichick's recent record against teams that have already played the Patriots. Oh well!!! :)