Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

its a sad sad day for the NFL when a 5-8-1 team makes the divisional round

Nesjan3

It is rare to have a third string QB be good. Yates was an exception during that run.

They've (Arizona) managed to win other games this season without their starting qb. They were in this game , defense created turnovers , they just didn't capitalize and unfortunately turned the ball over when they got in the red zone .

They've (Arizona) managed to win other games this season without their starting qb. They were in this game , defense created turnovers , they just didn't capitalize and unfortunately turned the ball over when they got in the red zone .

Sure their third string QB looked like third string and that Carolina front got pressure all day. Carolina will give a game to whoever they play- GB or Seattle.

Dalton completed less than half of his passes for about 100 yards no tds and a pick. Cam was a lot better than that

Dalton actually completed 64.3 percent of his passes and threw for 257 yards .. Not bad but he turned the ball over 3 times . Cam turned it over twice but scored twice that was the difference .

Sure their third string QB looked like third string and that Carolina front got pressure all day. Carolina will give a game to whoever they play- GB or Seattle.

Ehhhh... They'll have a better chance against the Packers if they get pressure or Rodgers but I can't see them doing much against Seattle... Well I can't see Cam doing much against Seattle's defense in their house . But hey this is the NFL anything can happen.

Ehhhh... They'll have a better chance against the Packers if they get pressure or Rodgers but I can't see them doing much against Seattle... Well I can't see Cam doing much against Seattle's defense in their house . But hey this is the NFL anything can happen.

I don't think they win either game but they will keep it close as long as Newton does not turn it over which is a big IF.

"its a sad sad day for the NFL when a 5-8-1 team makes the divisional round"

Not really.  And I don't want the NFL to change anything.  Some times some years a division is weak.  Now there's a possibility the NFC South is a strong division next year.  You don't fundamentally change the playoff structure of the NFL because of one season.  And it's not really often teams under .500 have home field games in the playoffs so it's not a crisis.

your saying the panthers deserve to be in the final eight with 7 wins because they won their division basically by default because their division sucked so bad, then got lucky and draw the Cards running with an inept QB., one could argue the 49ers, the Eagles, the Rams, the Chargers, the Texans, the Chiefs, and the Dolphins are all better teams, oh yah and if not for 

a week 17 victory the sad sack Falcons would have got in the teams that just fired their coach. How is this a format that shouldn't be changed

your saying the panthers deserve to be in the final eight with 7 wins because they won their division basically by default because their division sucked so bad, then got lucky and draw the Cards running with an inept QB., one could argue the 49ers, the Eagles, the Rams, the Chargers, the Texans, the Chiefs, and the Dolphins are all better teams, oh yah and if not for

a week 17 victory the sad sack Falcons would have got in the teams that just fired their coach. How is this a format that shouldn't be changed

Because if you win your division you are getting in. That is never going to change

Because if you win your division you are getting in. That is never going to change

oh I didn't know you could predict the future and know these things could you also tell me whos going to win the superbowl ? It could easily change the NFL is looking to change the format and has for years but hasn't decided yet exactly how

I think the thread title says it best in a more positive way than people realize. It's a sad day, but it's just 1 day and it'll be over way before the Superbowl even if they win another game or 2. Then we'll have the SBuperbowl between the 2 best team which is what it's all about. That will be a good day.

oh I didn't know you could predict the future and know these things could you also tell me whos going to win the superbowl ? It could easily change the NFL is looking to change the format and has for years but hasn't decided yet exactly how

They are not thinking about not allowing a division winner into the playoffs. The winner of the division will always be in the playoffs. They may change it so a winner of a bad division doesn't host a game.

They are not thinking about not allowing a division winner into the playoffs. The winner of the division will always be in the playoffs. They may change it so a winner of a bad division doesn't host a game.

how can you possibly say they may not change it so that the top 6 teams record wise make it in and a division might get left out, I don't understand how your so confident this cant happen, any proof, links?

how much more sense would it make for the NFC south to be left out and Phi would go to Zona (record wise) instead of a 7 win team. the whole point of a 16 game season is to make every game count and you should need at least 9 plus wins to make it in, a 7 win team in the final 8 is embarrassing

you talk so confidently that you know exactly how things should, is and will be, but provide no facts to back up any of your claims

I thought you were done talking to me.

No sport will ever eliminate a division winner regardless of their record. Even college basketball allows bad teams in the playoffs if they win their conference title.

I thought you were done talking to me.

No sport will ever eliminate a division winner regardless of their record. Even college basketball allows bad teams in the playoffs if they win their conference title.

making a claim again, any facts this time?

how much more sense would it make for the NFC south to be left out and Phi would go to Zona (record wise) instead of a 7 win team. the whole point of a 16 game season is to make every game count and you should need at least 9 plus wins to make it in, a 7 win team in the final 8 is embarrassing

It makes no sense to have divisions if a division winner, whatever the record, will not have a playoff spot. What I think you are proposing is to eliminate divisions and have the teams with the 6 best records in each conference make the playoffs. That would be very boring, IMO. I like the playoff format just the way it is.

It's sad when a very good defense and team that has fought so hard all season long exits on this note on such misfortune. Ryan Lindley is flat out atrocious...That defense gave everything there was to give. They even got them the ball back on the five yard line!!!!!!!!!!! That is one GOOD Cardinal team and Arians is the man. 

Yes oh enlightened one. Open my eyes. For the light is too blinding for me to open them.

Show me the ways in which you broke the biggest story in the history of sports. And please cut me in on your millions, nay billions of dollars you've undoubtably earned by knowing this truth.

PM me and I'll give you my address so we can work on lessons and a payment plan.

that's why you are a sports fan. You aren't intelligent. knowing a game is staged doesn't mean youll know an outcome.

pro leagues were invented by gamblers for gambling,not for any spirit of sport. and they've perfected staging it for 70 years.

biggest story ? 150 million people in America don't give a damn about pro sports,thats half the country. Most people wouldn't be surprised or care

that's why you are a sports fan. You aren't intelligent. knowing a game is staged doesn't mean youll know an outcome.

pro leagues were invented by gamblers for gambling,not for any spirit of sport. and they've perfected staging it for 70 years.

biggest story ? 150 million people in America don't give a damn about pro sports,thats half the country. Most people wouldn't be surprised or care

Here's a theory, it is probably wrong, but at least I'm going to go farther than it just being staged. Cam Newton said that after he got back from his car accident that he would lead his team to a Super Bowl. Maybe the NFL is trying to make a feel good story and have the Panthers advance? There were some poor flags thrown that game. I honestly think it comes down to the Seahawks and Panthers in the NFC Championship game and the NFL will make a decision. The Panthers will fight Valiantly and lose at the last minute while almost overcoming the odds. Probably wrong, but it's a decent theory.

I don't get why you post on this board. What's the point? You believe the games are staged...And???

Why do you bother to watch football games and to post on a sports site if you believe the outcome of games is predetermined? (That is a serious question.)

I don't get why you post on this board. What's the point? You believe the games are staged...And???

Why do you bother to watch football games and to post on a sports site if you believe the outcome of games are predetermined? (That is a serious question.)

I found out this past summer but the last 4 years I actually paid close attention to everything they were trying to sell me and was able to  see through it. I go to a sports sight to get a feel for the public and to play with the ability to communicate in the internet age. I still like the aesthetics of sports but I'm not surprised nor waste my time rooting for underdogs when the end of the season gives the same redundant ,cliché results.

I'm truly sorry for what ever mental illness is afflicting you (bi-polar maybe? Mild schizophrenia? Definitely delusions of grandeur and self importance. All this assuming you aren't from the ages of 12-17, which you probably are) I hope you get the help you need.

I'm also sorry you think you can gauge my intelligence based on what I've responded to your incoherent ramblings. I don't take pleasure in debating (if you want to call it that) someone who's clearly on a whole different level of intellect. I like mentally sparring with competent folk. Not so much with crazies. I get enough of those in my day to day life.

Have fun solving the mysteries of whatever it is you're solving. Call a news station about your next big find. You could make a name for yourself. Or get tazed.

And with that. I put you on ignore :).

It makes no sense to have divisions if a division winner, whatever the record, will not have a playoff spot. What I think you are proposing is to eliminate divisions and have the teams with the 6 best records in each conference make the playoffs. That would be very boring, IMO. I like the playoff format just the way it is.

divisions do make sense it creates rivalries, balances the schedules and creates a system, but the way I see it say your the bills or dolphins, or the chiefs or chargers and are forced to beat out Peyton Manning and the juggernaught Broncos or Tom Brady and the beast Patriots, and if you cant which most likely you wont, you have teams like us , Cincy, Pit, Bal, KC, Hou all want those wild card spots. Where as this year the panthers don't have to worry about any of that they just coast in on 7 wins and a bad season, get lucky drawing the Cards who are on there 3rd string QB and by the way are a far better team but there QB is inept, now they get to go to the divisional round on a season that should have the GM questioning the coaches job. Lets talk about the Rams and 49ers, and the Eagles, all 3  better teams than the panthers do they get a shot at the playoffs? NO because their division is far superior, its a dumb format plain and simple, one division being left out of the playoffs cause they suck so bad would be good, and probably make the teams turn around and try to be better and would make for better teams and more exciting playoff football.

some people are saying saying  they won there division and have played well, sooo they had 6 wins in the regular season how is that deserving of even being here in the first place

Goodness,  that's now TWICE you've gotten basic math completely wrong.   The Panthers won 7 games.

Not 6, as you put in this post,  and not 5, like you put in the title of this thread?    JVan noted early in this thread that Carolina went 7-8-1 to win their division and only a few years ago Seattle won the NFC West by going 7-9.    That year they beat New Orleans in a playoff game.

So,  this isn't the first time that a team has won their division with 7 wins.    It's happened several times before.....

I'm truly sorry for what ever mental illness is afflicting you (bi-polar maybe? Mild schizophrenia? Definitely delusions of grandeur and self importance. All this assuming you aren't from the ages of 12-17, which you probably are) I hope you get the help you need.

I'm also sorry you think you can gauge my intelligence based on what I've responded to your incoherent ramblings. I don't take pleasure in debating (if you want to call it that) someone who's clearly on a whole different level of intellect. I like mentally sparring with competent folk. Not so much with crazies. I get enough of those in my day to day life.

Have fun solving the mysteries of whatever it is you're solving. Call a news station about your next big find. You could make a name for yourself. Or get tazed.

And with that. I put you on ignore :).

you have no clue about anything of course. you will find out I am right soon enough

I spend most of my time on the Colts portion of this forum.  I had no idea there was such entertaining discussion going on over here.  

Nesjan & Ram29Jackson - I say this with all sincerity - thank you.  You are the gifts that keep on giving.

A division winner will always get in. I believe I recall a year when the Colts were 13-3 but the Titans were 14-2 so the Colts had to go to the 8-8 Chargers and play. Based on the record, we were a far superior team but we lost to them. That day, the best team advanced.