Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should Pats rest their starters for week 17?

sportsworld33

I was thinking about this, the Bills/Pats game is meaningless and I think the Pats should rest their starters to limit the odds/chances of injury and give them extra rest.

But for certain players and their specific contracts to sit or to play could mean millions of dollars like for Wilfork.  Certain players have to play a certain number of plays to get paid and for Wilfork if he doesn't play he doesn't get $1.3 million dollars...

http://www.csnne.com/blog/patriots-talk/sit-or-play-could-mean-millions-wilfork

If I was the Pats organization I would just pay Wilfork the $1.3m and sit him.

If I was coach I would be sitting these players...

Offense...

Brady

Gronk

Edelman

Lafell

Dan Connolly (and other O-lineman that need the rest).

Blount

Gray

Defense...

Revis

Browner

Arrington

Ryan

McCourty

Wilfork

Hightower

Jones

Collins

Ninkovich

Slater

This would be good to get Jimmy Garoppolo in ahead of schedule and play a full regular season game.

If Belichick does start Brady, Gronk, Revis against the Bills I'll be irked and believe Belichick just wants to run some military boot camp instead of actually winning.  That's when I hope Kraft steps in and overrules Belichick and tells them they're not playing.

nope.  if you sit them, then you have your best players going 3 weeks in between playing a snap.  that is WAY too long of a rest and a recipe for a potentially fatal slow start in the divisional game.

The only one i would rest for the entire game is Edelman, no need to risk it with a concussion.  The rest should play at least a half.

I view sitting guys this way.  If you have the bye, they play.  If you're playing in the wild card game(s), they sit

nope.  if you sit them, then you have your best players going 3 weeks in between playing a snap.  that is WAY too long of a rest and a recipe for a potentially fatal slow start in the divisional game.

The only one i would rest for the entire game is Edelman, no need to risk it with a concussion.  The rest should play at least a half.

I view sitting guys this way.  If you have the bye, they play.  If you're playing in the wild card game(s), they sit

That's never been proven.  Plenty of times teams have sat players in their last game of the season and had a bye and came back and won the Super Bowl or made it to the Super Bowl.  Sure, you can find some teams that rested players in week 17 and lost in the playoffs, but that's not due to that extra rest, that's due to the other team just being better and game planning.

If a team starts off slow that's not due to getting too much rest.  It's due to the other team more pumped up and emotionally up than the other team.  It's psychological and not physical.

If Gronk plays in this game it would be so stupid.  And we've seen the last 2 straight years and the 2011 super bowl Gronk was injured in the post season.  He needs to sit.

This isn't military marine boot camp.

It's the age old debate and there is no clear cut answer.

Belichick historically has not rested his starters, but I think they should be smart about it and limit their reps.

Anyone who doesn't play will have to go 21 days before they see live action again, in a single elimination tournanent.

The offense needs to work on some things, which was obvious after the Jets game. I don't think you want the last game your offense played before seeing playoff action a 17 point one where they were pretty much held in check for 60 minutes and the offensive line was completely outmatched.

They can correct some things and use Buffalo as a test of where they're at. Buffalo is the number one defense in the nfl, so they should go out there and try to get some successful drives against then to make sure they're ready for the stiff competition in the playoffs

This would be the perfect game to try a few things for those role players that you might want to see how they do in a game situation. A second or third string CB gets more minutes, and a second or third string DL or LB gets more minutes. You play only the healthy starters for about a half and ask those second and third string guys to finish the game for you. That is how I would approach it. There is a very good chance that the Patriots are up by 2 TDs at the half if the starters play now that the Bills are also eliminated.

That's never been proven.  Plenty of times teams have sat players in their last game of the season and had a bye and came back and won the Super Bowl or made it to the Super Bowl.  Sure, you can find some teams that rested players in week 17 and lost in the playoffs, but that's not due to that extra rest, that's due to the other team just being better and game planning.

If a team starts off slow that's not due to getting too much rest.  It's due to the other team more pumped up and emotionally up than the other team.  It's psychological and not physical.

If Gronk plays in this game it would be so stupid.  And we've seen the last 2 straight years and the 2011 super bowl Gronk was injured in the post season.  He needs to sit.

This isn't military marine boot camp.

there hasnt been a scientific study on it, but there is plenty of examples of it happening.

2011 Packers finish 15-1 and rest their starters week 17.  they go out and get stomped by the Giants in the divisional round 37-20 at home.

The Colts were one of the biggest proponents of resting guys in the Manning years, and have many 1 and done chokes to go with it.

21 days is too long.  that kills any continuity you had going.  Especially for an offense like the Pats that is predicated on timing and precise routes

It's the age old debate and there is no clear cut answer.

Belichick historically has not rested his starters, but I think they should be smart about it and limit their reps.

Anyone who doesn't play will have to go 21 days before they see live action again, in a single elimination tournanent.

The offense needs to work on some things, which was obvious after the Jets game. I don't think you want the last game your offense played before seeing playoff action a 17 point one where they were pretty much held in check for 60 minutes and the offensive line was completely outmatched.

They can correct some things and use Buffalo as a test of where they're at. Buffalo is the number one defense in the nfl, so they should go out there and try to get some successful drives against then to make sure they're ready for the stiff competition in the playoffs

And it's been 10 years since the Pats last won a super bowl so it's time to change a little bit.  Some people would rather keep repeating histories mistakes instead of learn.

In 2009 the Pats played their starters in the last game of the season in Houston.  Wes Welker blew out his knee.  The Pats got blown out by the Ravens in the playoffs.

"Anyone who doesn't play will have to go 21 days before they see live action again, in a single elimination tournanent."

That's 21 days that the other players on other teams don't have that they wish they had.  The Broncos, Bengals, Colts, Steelers, Chargers, Ravens will all be risking injury in week 17 giving it everything they have to try to get into the playoffs.  The Pats "IF" they rest their starters will be injury free and more rested with fresh legs for the playoffs.

The whole logic of: "players need reps or they'll be rusty" is bogus and not scientifically true.  If players need reps there would be no off-season and players would be their best if they played all year round.  Which is just ridiculous and defies logic.  The human body and human mind needs rest.  There's a good reason why there's a week off before the Super Bowl and 6 months for an off-season.

You don't use a meaningless game to "correct things" and risk injury.  That's what practice and film study is for.  And we forget the Pats didn't have Dan Connolly in the game against the Jets.  And he most likely won't play against the Bills.  He's the #1 reason why the Pats' O-line was out of sync.  So if the Pats really truly wanted to "correct things" for the playoffs on the offensive line they would have Dan Connolly out there playing against the Bills.  Well he's got an injured ankle.  Common sense and logic is you rest him and the other most important players on your team in a meaningless game.

This would be the perfect game to try a few things for those role players that you might want to see how they do in a game situation. A second or third string CB gets more minutes, and a second or third string DL or LB gets more minutes. You play only the healthy starters for about a half and ask those second and third string guys to finish the game for you. That is how I would approach it. There is a very good chance that the Patriots are up by 2 TDs at the half if the starters play now that the Bills are also eliminated.

I agree with that and would leave it at that.  This game for the Pats should be treated as if it's the 4th game of pre-season.

The second tier players who been struggling during the season not getting enough playing time should be starting.

I'd have Alfonso Dennard starting at CB.  And Tyms starting at WR.  And Wright starting at TE.

there hasnt been a scientific study on it, but there is plenty of examples of it happening.

2011 Packers finish 15-1 and rest their starters week 17.  they go out and get stomped by the Giants in the divisional round 37-20 at home.

The Colts were one of the biggest proponents of resting guys in the Manning years, and have many 1 and done chokes to go with it.

21 days is too long.  that kills any continuity you had going.  Especially for an offense like the Pats that is predicated on timing and precise routes

And they beat the Pats in the SB.  So no one was going to stop the Giants that year regardless.  Oh, and the Pats didn't have Gronk in that Super Bowl....how come?

The Pats have players who are injury prone like Gronk and he's been injured in 3 post seasons.

So during the Bills/Pats game, start Gronk and let him go over the middle and get his knees taken out.

I was thinking about this, the Bills/Pats game is meaningless and I think the Pats should rest their starters to limit the odds/chances of injury and give them extra rest.

But for certain players and their specific contracts to sit or to play could mean millions of dollars like for Wilfork.  Certain players have to play a certain number of plays to get paid and for Wilfork if he doesn't play he doesn't get $1.3 million dollars...

http://www.csnne.com/blog/patriots-talk/sit-or-play-could-mean-millions-wilfork

If I was the Pats organization I would just pay Wilfork the $1.3m and sit him.

If I was coach I would be sitting these players...

Offense...

Brady

Gronk

Edelman

Lafell

Dan Connolly (and other O-lineman that need the rest).

Blount

Gray

Defense...

Revis

Browner

Arrington

Ryan

McCourty

Wilfork

Hightower

Jones

Collins

Ninkovich

Slater

This would be good to get Jimmy Garoppolo in ahead of schedule and play a full regular season game.

If Belichick does start Brady, Gronk, Revis against the Bills I'll be irked and believe Belichick just wants to run some military boot camp instead of actually winning.  That's when I hope Kraft steps in and overrules Belichick and tells them they're not playing.

You do realize you need 46 players to play on game day? No way the Pats rest that many players. They can't. Just the ones that are injured. Everyone else plays at least some of the game.

And to the bolded - it is statements like these that unveil you as a faux Pats fan or someone who is woefully unaware of how the Patriots run their team ...

You do realize you need 46 players to play on game day? No way the Pats rest that many players. They can't. Just the ones that are injured. Everyone else plays at least some of the game.

And to the bolded - it is statements like these that unveil you as a faux Pats fan or someone who is woefully unaware of how the Patriots run their team ...

lol @ that.  As if you're in any position to judge and declare who is a real pats fan and who isn't.  I can throw it back at you and say you're not a true Pats' fan for wanting to risk injury of their best players because of some stubborn Belichick way that hasn't worked in 10 years.  I support the team "Patriots" and not a team called "Belichick".  lol @ thinking you have to be loyal to Belichick in order to be loyal to the Pats.  (Kiss the Godfather's ring.)  lol  Get real.  

And we seen Gronk injured in 3 post seasons due to regular season *ic decisions.  Duh!

lol @ that.  As if you're in any position to judge and declare who is a real pats fan and who isn't.  I can throw it back at you and say you're not a true Pats' fan for wanting to risk injury of their best players because of some stubborn Belichick way that hasn't worked in 10 years.  I support the team "Patriots" and not a team called "Belichick".  And we seen Gronk injured in 3 post seasons due to regular season *ic decisions.  Duh!

Your continual statements about Brady being traded this off-season and backsided shots at the team and Bill calls into question your "fandom."

I never said whether or not I wanted the Pats to rest or play their players. I know they will play their players because Bill ALWAYS does. Again, any Pats fan would know this. And to even suggest that Kraft would step in and overrule Bill on this type of decision is ridiculous.

And we seen Gronk injured in 3 post seasons due to regular season *ic decisions.  Duh!

The 2 regular seasons that Gronk was injured in were all meaningful games.

The 1 postseason was in the AFCCG vs Bernard Pollard in the playoffs in 2011.

The only 1 decision I would somewhat attribute to Belichick is using Gronk as a holder for a PAT that contributed to his forearm injury.

Your continual statements about Brady being traded this off-season and backsided shots at the team and Bill calls into question your "fandom."

I never said whether or not I wanted the Pats to rest or play their players. I know they will play their players because Bill ALWAYS does. Again, any Pats fan would know this. And to even suggest that Kraft would step in and overrule Bill on this type of decision is ridiculous.

"Fandom" ?  You need to understand some basic things.  It's called not being a "homer" and you think any criticism of the Pats means someone hates the Pats.  You're incapable of seeing things independently and looking at both sides of the issue.  You can't think "objectively."  And you take things too personal when one makes objections to the Pats.  Relax.  People have different opinions.  And I am a Pats fan and not some "Green teamer."

"Fandom" ?  You need to understand some basic things.  It's called not being a "homer" and you think any criticism of the Pats means someone hates the Pats.  You're incapable of seeing things independently and looking at both sides of the issue.  You can't think "objectively."  And you take things too personal when one makes objections to the Pats.  Relax.  People have different opinions.  And I am a Pats fan and not some "Green teamer."

I never called you a homer. Just the opposite actually. And criticism is one thing but over the top bashing and outlandish statements with nothing to substantiate them is something quite different.

The 2 regular seasons that Gronk was injured in were all meaningful games.

The 1 postseason was in the AFCCG vs Bernard Pollard in the playoffs in 2011.

The only 1 decision I would somewhat attribute to Belichick is using Gronk as a holder for a PAT that contributed to his forearm injury.

Gronk was NOT holding for the PAT. He was on the line blocking. And he always played on the PAT team because of his great ability to block. It was a freak injury.

Gronk was NOT holding for the PAT. He was on the line blocking. And he always played on the PAT team because of his great ability to block. It was a freak injury.

Well then, it is no different than blocking for a run play. Scratch that off Belichick's alleged list then :).

I never called you a homer. Just the opposite actually. And criticism is one thing but over the top bashing and outlandish statements with nothing to substantiate them is something quite different.

No, just opinions that goes against your narrative and homerism.

You should read most posts more carefully.  I was referring to you as homer and posted that I'm not a homer.

Buh bye Brady.  :-)

Criticism is one thing but your statements are completely outlandish. 

A Pats fan that is a Brady hater. Makes sense ....

Not a Brady hater.  I just know how Belichick and Kraft operate.  Business comes first above loyalty.  They've forced Brady to take pay cuts and renegotiate contracts through out his career and next year they'll force him to choose.  Brady will either play for around $9 mil next year or the Pats trade him.

Nothing I posted was outlandish.  Everything I posted above about Brady has been right in line with the "Patriot Way" of doing things.  You either take a pay cut when told or you're gone.

Patriots already have Jimmy G's photo up next to Brady on their main page on the right..  Kind of stupid to do that for a backup QB "IF" he's supposedly going to be the back up for the next 2 to 3 seasons.  Why not have Revis' or Gronk's photo up instead?  Why didn't they have up Mallet's photo like that?

http://www.patriots.com/

You need to get your eyes checked. Jimmy was not in any photos on the home page. He is #10 in case you didn't know ....

Not a Brady hater.  I just know how Belichick and Kraft operate.  Business comes first above loyalty.  They've forced Brady to take pay cuts and renegotiate contracts through out his career and next year they'll force him to choose.  Brady will either play for around $9 mil next year or the Pats trade him.

Nothing I posted was outlandish.  Everything I posted above about Brady has been right in line with the "Patriot Way" of doing things.  You either take a pay cut when told or you're gone.

Did you read what you just wrote? Brady did take a pay cut two years ago and will play for $7 mil next year ...

Actually on the far right in the background is Jimmy G's photo.  It's a shaded background photo that covers the entire right of the background of the page.  :-)

Are you kidding with that?  Do you gaze into Jimmy's eyes that closely that you believe one of those faces is him?? I don't think either face is an actual player but just a background wallpaper.

Did you read what you just wrote? Brady did take a pay cut two years ago and will play for $7 mil next year ...

Do you have a source for this that confirms this?  When did Brady say it's official that he's playing for $7 mil next year after putting up "MVP type numbers" ?

You're more loyal to Brady than the Patriots.  I'm more loyal to the Patriots as a team than individual players.

Do you have a source for this that confirms this?  When did Brady say it's official that he's playing for $7 mil next year after putting up "MVP type numbers" ?

You're more loyal to Brady than the Patriots.  I'm more loyal to the Patriots as a team than individual players.

Brady signed the contract two years which makes it official. He has never indicated that he would not play for it. In fact throughout this career he has left money on the table so this notion that at age 37 with perhaps the best team he has around him since the champ years that he would somehow hold out and force a trade is asinine.

You can't rest the entire list that the OP put together with 46 players active in each game. A little naive to think that way.

Guys who are hurt and could play if it meant something (Edelman, Connolly, Hightower, etc) should sit and heal up. Then key players on both sides should see limited action. Think of it as the 4th preseason game after the 3rd preseason game didn't go as planned. 

Guys who have incentives will get paid either way. They're not going to bench a guy to save money. This isn't the Chicago Black Sox and Kraft isn't Comiskey!

No, but limited participation. Don't want rust, but don't want injuries. NE is pretty much as healthy as a team can hope to be this time of year and is better than the rest to begin with even if both teams had all their starters.

A significant injury like Edelman or god help them Gronk again could significantly impact NE in the playoffs.

Patriots already have Jimmy G's photo up next to Brady on their main page on the right.. Kind of stupid to do that for a backup QB "IF" he's supposedly going to be the back up for the next 2 to 3 seasons. Why not have Revis' or Gronk's photo up instead? Why didn't they have up Mallet's photo like that?

Brady's salary in the last 2 years of his deal are EXTREMELY cap friendly, especially for a legendary QB coming off a season where his offense was Numero Uno and had the best record in the NFL. If he wins a Superbowl for them, you think they're going to get rid of a top 3 QB with a 7 million dollar salary?

They will let Brady play out his deal, then they'll evaluate things and make a decision on whether to start the Garrapalo era or extend Brady another 2 years, but I don't think there is any realistic chance that they just trade/cut him after this season, especially if he wins his FOURTH Lombardi.

Other than your own speculation based on a website graphic, you have nothing to substantiate such a claim.

Do you have a source for this that confirms this? When did Brady say it's official that he's playing for $7 mil next year after putting up "MVP type numbers" ?

Ummm my source is Patriots.com, NFL.Com and Miguel's salary cap page. It's public knowledge what Brady's contract is. He's under contract, there is no "decision" that he gets to make. There is no opt out clause for him, his entire contract is guaranteed which is why they were able to work the numbers out to be so cap friendly and also why there is no way they would just cut/trade him for an unproven young gun like Jimmy G.

You can't rest the entire list that the OP put together with 46 players active in each game. A little naive to think that way.

Guys who are hurt and could play if it meant something (Edelman, Connolly, Hightower, etc) should sit and heal up. Then key players on both sides should see limited action. Think of it as the 4th preseason game after the 3rd preseason game didn't go as planned. 

Guys who have incentives will get paid either way. They're not going to bench a guy to save money. This isn't the Chicago Black Sox and Kraft isn't Comiskey!

If you only play the starters for the first half and then pull them who are all the other players to take their place on the field on a 46 man roster?  Why don't the Pats play the backups the whole game?  The way people describe a 46 man roster is as if it's impossible to have many backups starting.

Brady's salary in the last 2 years of his deal are EXTREMELY cap friendly, especially for a legendary QB coming off a season where his offense was Numero Uno and had the best record in the NFL. If he wins a Superbowl for them, you think they're going to get rid of a top 3 QB with a 7 million dollar salary?

They will let Brady play out his deal, then they'll evaluate things and make a decision on whether to start the Garrapalo era or extend Brady another 2 years, but I don't think there is any realistic chance that they just trade/cut him after this season, especially if he wins his FOURTH Lombardi.

Other than your own speculation based on a website graphic, you have nothing to substantiate such a claim.

Everything you posted above is based on speculation as well.  You have no proof that Brady will play for a: "EXTREMELY cap friendly deal especially for a legendary QB."  My sources at Comcast Sports Net say other wise.

Your quote about Brady just raised Brady's market value and his agent and the player's union won't let Brady play for $7 mil a year.  lol  You act like Brady is more loyal to you than himself.  You think a: "top 3 QB" will play for $7 mil a year when Jay Cutler plays for over $20 mil a year?  Get real.  Brady and his agent know damn well that he won't allow Cutler and Romo to make 3x as much as Brady.

All I'm saying is don't be surprised if the Pats and Brady come to a stalemate and can't come to an agreement and the Pats trade Brady for multiple draft picks which I would do while Brady's stock is still high enough for the future for the Pats.

If multiple NFL teams came calling offering a 1st rounder, two 2nd rounders and future 2nd and 3rd round picks you wouldn't go for it?  I would.  What the Redskins traded to the Rams for RG3 I would do for Brady after the season.  That would load the Pats up for years to come.

And how do you know someone is "unproven" until you give them a chance?  Packers had to eventually move on from Favre to Rodgers.

And this is why the Pats should rest most of their starters for a meaningless week 17 game...

Browner, Collins, Gray added to Patriots injury report...

FOXBORO -- The Patriots added three new names to their injury report on Wednesday: Corner Brandon Browner (groin), linebacker Jamie Collins (hip) and running back Jonas Gray (ankle) were among the 15 Patriots limited in the team's second practice of the week...

http://www.csnne.com/blog/patriots-talk/browner-collins-gray-added-patriots-injury-report