Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brady seeking sixth straight division title to tie Bradshaw and Tarkenton

amfootball

Even though it is easy in New England to take for granted the Patriots winning the East, if they win on Sunday vs Miami it will be their sixth straight which would tie Brady with Bradshaw and Tarkenton for the most in a row since the merger. Another record/milestone for this org and its historic rate of winning over the past 14 years ...  It would also be the 12th time Brady has the won his division which is the most of any QB in the history of the game.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The record for most division titles in a row is only 6?  Man I would have thought it would be higher then that.  

I mean I havn't been an NFL fan for but 3 years, but I know the Pats have dominated the east pretty much since Brady started taking snaps only exception being the one year that Brady was injured.  The Colts have dominated the South since it was created in it's current form with the exception being the year Manning was hurt and Luck's first year. 

The record for most division titles in a row is only 6? Man I would have thought it would be higher then that.

I mean I havn't been an NFL fan for but 3 years, but I know the Pats have dominated the east pretty much since Brady started taking snaps only exception being the one year that Brady was injured. The Colts have dominated the South since it was created in it's current form with the exception being the year Manning was hurt and Luck's first year.

the colts and titans traded division titles in the early years of the south

yeah Mcnair and Eddie George

oh yeah Eddie George. Wow he was shall we say an enthusiastic runner.

I wonder if any team did the lateral pass drive with only seconds to go before the one Tenn did.  Seems like teams have tried with no success since.  I wonder if they kinda started that.

Even though it is easy in New England to take for granted the Patriots winning the East, if they win on Sunday vs Miami it will be their sixth straight which would tie Brady with Bradshaw and Tarkenton for the most in a row since the merger. Another record/milestone for this org and its historic rate of winning over the past 14 years ...  It would also be the 12th time Brady has the won his division which is the most of any QB in the history of the game.

If he hadn't blown out his knee in 2008 we'd be talking about, what, 12 in a row? Last time they didn't win the East other than that year was 2002. 

If he hadn't blown out his knee in 2008 we'd be talking about, what, 12 in a row? Last time they didn't win the East other than that year was 2002. 

Yeah. That's true. And in 2008 they were 11-5 and lost on tie breakers.

I am really beginning to appreciate this run more and more. I want to win the Super Bowl badly but after the first month of the season when things didn't look good and there were questions about Brady, I realized that I didn't want this era to end just yet. I was 27 when we won the first Super Bowl. Brady and Bill have given me the best years of football during the best years of my life. And here we are again with a chance to make another run at it. It really does not get any better. :)

That would just be nasty :)

I would credit BB the most for those titles.

It also doesn't hurt that the rest of the division has been like clown college for the last decade-plus! 

Seriously, give this a moment of thought:

Who is the second-best AFC East coach in the past 15 years? I can't even think of an answer I feel good about. 

Who's the second-best QB? Pennington? 

Miami, Buffalo, and NY have whiffed on those two critical pieces repeatedly while trying to chase the Pats and narrow the gap in the division. 

The Patriots have not been a very competitive division just like the Colts. Name me one team out of the AFC east that has given the Patriots any real trouble? The Patriots only have 1 more division titles that the Colts. At least the Colts did have the Titans play them tough early on when the Colts moved into the AFC south. I always wandered why it was the Colts who moved into the AFC south when it really should have been Miami. It would have been a lot more interesting had the Colts stayed in the east.

That would just be nasty :)

I would credit BB the most for those titles.

You give most of the credit to BB??? Brady goes down and the pats lose the division to a mediocre Dolphins squad that went 1-15 the year prior. But yeah, give media darling Bill most of the credit........

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, December 12, 2014 - baiting/trolling and quoting removed posts
Hidden by Nadine, December 12, 2014 - baiting/trolling and quoting removed posts

zzzzzz...zzzzzzzz. Is there like a poop section we can put stuff like this ?

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, December 12, 2014 - baiting/trolling and quoting removed posts
Hidden by Nadine, December 12, 2014 - baiting/trolling and quoting removed posts

zzzzzz...zzzzzzzz. Is there like a poop section we can put stuff like this ?

I know. It is just distracting you from all your RG threads, huh? ;)

The Patriots have not been a very competitive division just like the Colts. Name me one team out of the AFC east that has given the Patriots any real trouble? The Patriots only have 1 more division titles that the Colts. At least the Colts did have the Titans play them tough early on when the Colts moved into the AFC south. I always wandered why it was the Colts who moved into the AFC south when it really should have been Miami. It would have been a lot more interesting had the Colts stayed in the east.

The Jets were competitive in earlier years, as were the Dolphins at times. The Jets eliminated both the Patriots and the Colts in the playoffs within the past decade, if I recall.

But neither the Colts not the Patriots have had much of a challenge .

Miami was a bigger rivalry game than the Colts. Same reason that the Cowboys stayed in the NFC East.

You give most of the credit to BB??? Brady goes down and the pats lose the division to a mediocre Dolphins squad that went 1-15 the year prior. But yeah, give media darling Bill most of the credit........

I thought Brady was the media darling.

But yeah I do.  Clearly the QB/Coach combo is the better of either one but does Brady/NE win all those games with average or sub par coaching?  Where does the training, preparation, schemes, game adjustments and GM quality come from? Not Brady.

I thought Brady was the media darling.

But yeah I do.  Clearly the QB/Coach combo is the better of either one but does Brady/NE win all those games with average or sub par coaching?  Where does the training, preparation, schemes, game adjustments and GM quality come from? Not Brady.

The real credit goes to the owner.Mr. Kraft. Belichick was not that successful before coming to the Patriots. Mr. Kraft set everything up. I am not saying that Belichick is not a great coach but give the credit where the credit is really due.

Miami was a bigger rivalry game than the Colts. Same reason that the Cowboys stayed in the NFC East.

I don't think you got the meaning of my comment. Miami did not give the Patriots near the problems that the Titans gave the Colts earlier in the divisions of the AFC east-south. Saying that the reason the Colts went to the south is just like the Cowboys stayed in the NFC east is not really an answer.

The real credit goes to the owner.Mr. Kraft. Belichick was not that successful before coming to the Patriots. Mr. Kraft set everything up. I am not saying that Belichick is not a great coach but give the credit where the credit is really due.

Well I give Kraft credit for getting him and paying a #1 pick and providing a good facility  but Belichick not successful before? 

He was pretty successful as a DC with the Giants. 

I don't like it when you say Brady has won the division. He's just one part of it. I know you realize that but it just didn't read right to me. The Rams of the 70's won 7 straight division titles in a row for the most ever. They had a few different Qb's and were in a bad division as was Minnesota back in the 70's.

Well I give Kraft credit for getting him and paying a #1 pick and providing a good facility  but Belichick not successful before? 

He was pretty successful as a DC with the Giants. 

It's pretty convenient for you to leave out his 5 years as head coach for the Browns. Oh, by the way his record there was 36-44.

From 2000 to 2003 the Dolphins were a very good team and playoff caliber team with Jason Taylor.

From 2000 to 2004 the Jets were competitive and a playoff team with Chad Pennington.  Then the Jets under Rex Ryan from 2009 to 2012 were competitive going to two AFC title games.

The Phins and the Bills have improved.  I think the Phins are a couple pieces away from making a super bowl run.  If Brady was traded to the Phins (not likely to ever happen) in 2015 they're instant super bowl contenders.  They got the defense and offensive weapons in place.

It's pretty convenient for you to leave out his 5 years as head coach for the Browns. Oh, by the way his record there was 36-44.

Convenient? Hardly. I don't know about you but I'm 10 times better at my job than I was 15-20 years ago. It's called experience.

Plus he wasn't as bad as you think with the Browns other than QB/media trouble which is why he doesn't talk freely to the media anymore.

So let's see, you're looking at a 5 year span of 36-44. Hmm, try looking at the big picture for a change  instead of a small segment to make your case.  What's the overall career of the man? Think big, not small.

Convenient? Hardly. I don't know about you but I'm 10 times better at my job than I was 15-20 years ago. It's called experience.

Plus he wasn't as bad as you think with the Browns other than QB/media trouble which is why he doesn't talk freely to the media anymore.

So let's see, you're looking at a 5 year span of 36-44. Hmm, try looking at the big picture for a change  instead of a small segment to make your case.  What's the overall career of the man? Think big, not small.

To make my case? My case is Mr. Kraft is the main person who deserves the credit for the success of the Patriots. Wasn't as bad as I think? He was 36 -44.  The numbers don't lie. When you made your comment about him not being bad when he was with the giants were you looking at the bigger picture? You didn't mention the whole career did you? So telling me what I said is fine but your comments was kinda like calling the pot black.

I don't think you got the meaning of my comment. Miami did not give the Patriots near the problems that the Titans gave the Colts earlier in the divisions of the AFC east-south. Saying that the reason the Colts went to the south is just like the Cowboys stayed in the NFC east is not really an answer.

I wasn't answering just commenting on the part of your post about division realignment.

In terms of the divisions, the East has had a better winning percentage than the South since the division realignment. I will try to find the stats and provide the link but we have talked about this before.

Also, would you have preferred to stay in the East with the Pats? You would have been second place every year.

I wasn't answering just commenting on the part of your post about division realignment.

In terms of the divisions, the East has had a better winning percentage than the South since the division realignment. I will try to find the stats and provide the link but we have talked about this before.

Also, would you have preferred to stay in the East with the Pats? You would have been second place every year.

That may be your opinion but it is not a certainty.

I don't like it when you say Brady has won the division. He's just one part of it. I know you realize that but it just didn't read right to me. The Rams of the 70's won 7 straight division titles in a row for the most ever. They had a few different Qb's and were in a bad division as was Minnesota back in the 70's.

You are right. But Brady has been the only constant as he has played in the cap/FA era unlike the Rams of the 70's. His team has changed over multiple times as has his coaches and yet the winning has continued.

Actually his body of work in Cleveland was fairly impressive when you look at the circumstances. Baltimore can thank Belichick for much of their success as well. I always laugh when people say Belichick wasn't successful in Cleveland. Pure ignorance.  

The Jets went to two AFCCG's in the last 5 seasons.

To make my case? My case is Mr. Kraft is the main person who deserves the credit for the success of the Patriots. Wasn't as bad as I think? He was 36 -44.  The numbers don't lie. When you made your comment about him not being bad when he was with the giants were you looking at the bigger picture? You didn't mention the whole career did you? So telling me what I said is fine but your comments was kinda like calling the pot black.

While it's true that numbers don't lie, sometimes you have to take into account the circumstances under which they were compiled. If you don't know the history here, and just look at the record by itself, I can understand drawing your conclusion. 

There's no doubt that Belichick is a better coach now than he was 20 years ago in Cleveland... that's just a natural progression. And of course it helps to have the QB that he has. But BB often gets more criticism than he probably deserves for his time there.

As for divisional realignment... 

The Miami/Buffalo/NYJ/Patriots rivalries were just more significant. Personally I'm glad that Indy was realigned because otherwise either NE or Indy would have been a wild card most of the 2000s, and it would have drastically changed the dynamic in the AFC. In my opinion the realignment occurred at the perfect time, just when Brady came into his own and when Manning started winning big. 

As some pats fans here have already mentioned there have been many seasons in which either the jets or fins where nipping at our heals and did win two division titles '02 and '08 . . . its not as weak as some may try to perceive . . . if we just look at the records of the three respective teams in the two divisions between 2002 and 2011 the AFC East teams (Mia/NYJ/Buf) are a combined 217-263 and the AFC South teams (Ten/Jac/Hou) are a combined 229-251 . . . if we removed the damage imposed on those teams by the pats and the colts who's division records are 47-13 and 44-16 respectively we find that our divisions opponents records outside of playing our teams are AFC East: 204-216 and AFC South: 213-207 . . . so about one win per year spread out over the three opponents . . .

so collectively the three opponents have been about the same in each division . . . and also as some have mentioned we had our own nemesis from year to year just like the colts . . . so the differential is not as great as some may perceive . . .

To make my case? My case is Mr. Kraft is the main person who deserves the credit for the success of the Patriots. Wasn't as bad as I think? He was 36 -44. The numbers don't lie. When you made your comment about him not being bad when he was with the giants were you looking at the bigger picture? You didn't mention the whole career did you? So telling me what I said is fine but your comments was kinda like calling the pot black.

So the fact that the Browns' owner was deliberately tanking during BB'd last season there doesn't somehow impact BB's abilities in Cleveland? No factor at all?

So the fact that the Browns' owner was deliberately tanking during BB'd last season there doesn't somehow impact BB's abilities in Cleveland? No factor at all?

That one's going to leave a mark. Apparently he's call crazycolt for a reason. Let me add that BB took over a 3-13 team as well.