Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bad First Round Picks.

SubZero

2005- Marlin Jackson: Played good but he eventually found himself on IR a couple seasons.

2006- Joseph Addai: I think Addai is an overrated player. He is a great blocker, but he cant run and that is the most important quality of a running back. He also has been hitting the injury bug.

2007- Anthony Gonzalaz: A good player but he has been injured more than hes played.

2008- None

2009- Donald Brown: He hasnt done much in his first 2 years but he is improving id like to see him play full time next year.

2010- Jerry Hughes: He can get pressure but needs to get sacks. If he cant prove himself next year hes a bust.

Marlin Jackson was a good corner who had injuries later in his Colt career. Good CB who also helped us beat the Pats in the 06 AFC Championship.

Disagree on Joseph...couple of 1000 yard seasons plus still producing nice numbers

Gonzo is good, but he's injured. Saw great potential in his rookie year, and according to Polian he still has it, but injuries are killing him

Donald Brown may be turning it around and with his contract only up in 2 years (not including this year) I think it's a little early to call him bad and a bust.

Jerry Hughes doesn't look great, but he doesn't get playing time so you can't blame him that much.

Marlin Jackson was a good corner who had injuries later in his Colt career. Good CB who also helped us beat the Pats in the 06 AFC Championship.

Disagree on Joseph...couple of 1000 yard seasons plus still producing nice numbers

Gonzo is good, but he's injured. Saw great potential in his rookie year, and according to Polian he still has it, but injuries are killing him

Donald Brown may be turning it around and with his contract only up in 2 years (not including this year) I think it's a little early to call him bad and a bust.

Jerry Hughes doesn't look great, but he doesn't get playing time so you can't blame him that much.

Im not saying all of these are bad players but alot are plagued by injurys and there are probably alot of other problems whether it was bad coaching or other things that could let them succed on the Colts.

Jackson - Solid player, but couldn't stay healthy. Wasn't a bad pick, he helped us win a Super Bowl

Addai - Great pick. Would have been amazing to have taken MJD, but I'm happy with Addai. I would say he's rather underrated than overrated

Gonzo - Potential through the roof, but can't stay healthy

Brown - Didn't start out well, but he has been playing decently this year. I wouldn't be upset to see him get traded for some picks

Hughes - Too early to tell in my opinion. I say next year is his make or break year

2005- Marlin Jackson: Played good but he eventually found himself on IR a couple seasons.

2006- Joseph Addai: I think Addai is an overrated player. He is a great blocker, but he cant run and that is the most important quality of a running back. He also has been hitting the injury bug.

2007- Anthony Gonzalaz: A good player but he has been injured more than hes played.

2008- None

2009- Donald Brown: He hasnt done much in his first 2 years but he is improving id like to see him play full time next year.

2010- Jerry Hughes: He can get pressure but needs to get sacks. If he cant prove himself next year hes a bust.

jackson was a very good cb before he blew out his knee. how is that a bad pick?

the colts bad running game is because of their line, not the rb's.

gonzalez has been hurt every year.

you could make a fortune if you can predict what players are going to get injured. i bet teams are calling you all the time.

i hope i am wrong but i do think hughes is going to be a bust.

2008- None

Marlin Jackson has maybe the biggest INT in Colts history. It's very hard to call him a bust. He gave us three or four very good years before he got hurt.

Addai was a very big part of our Super Bowl run and frankly has been our best running back since he came to the team. No he wasn't Edge but he wasn't drafted where Edge was either. Also one can make a very strong case that other than MJD he has been the best back to come out of that draft that was supposed to be a running back heavy draft.

Gonzo done in by injuries wasn't a bust in terms of talent. Before he got hurt he showed all the signs in the world of being the next great Colts WR to the point the Colts felt comfortable letting go of Marvin Harrison thanks in large part to how well Gonzo had played. Not a bad pick just done in by injuries. The bad pick in that draft was trading the following first year pick for Ugoh.

Donald Brown seems to be removing the bust title this year and finally starting to look like the player they thought they were getting when he was drafted.

Hughes. Clearly a bust at this point.

I am noticing a trend here with the Colts high draft picks. We aren't getting the impact out of them right away and that's what is hurting us. We have to wait for them to develop. Pollack, Moala, Brown, and Hughes all seem to be that way.

The good news is that we did seem to draft several good players this year who have helped right away.

IMO, in terms of this years draft - really a bummer to see Nevis out, I already think the kid is potentially our best DT. I didn't realize his injury was that bad now Drakes on IR. I just can't stand these injuries, definitely the most banged up team in the league (again). Carter was looking promising before the fumbles but what really ticks me off is that we hardly use him for the reason he was drafted, specifically for short yardage situations. AC is solid and definitely will remaine the future LT, couple bad penalties last week though. We will all hopefully get a solid dose of Rucker for the next 4 games so we will see how he does. I think it's been a decent draft this year considering our 2nd and 3rd rounders are both injured for the season. They all have serious potential.

If you're looking at pure results, which is what the NFL is all about, that was a pretty bad group of first rounders for several years. All kinds of reasons why they haven't performed consistently (or not even performing much at all with 3 of those 6 first rounders), but that was a bad stretch of picks. Of course a big reason why we are seeing this year's results.

Marlin Jackson was a good corner but certainly did not display elite or shutdown corner skills. He suffered the first knee injury in 2008 so that was early in his career not later. He played ok, not great, when we beat the Pats in the 2006 AFC championship game. He did get that easy interception that Brady threw right to him.

Addai has been an average runner. Getting 1000 yards over a 16 game season isn’t a measuring stick of a great RB like it was in a 14 or 12 game regular season during seasons past. Addai can block and catch so he has some skills but I would not place him in the top 20 backs in the league.

Gonzo has not performed as expected of a 1st round pick. He is injury prone which is a trademark of a Polian pick. “Great Potential” means you haven’t done it yet so that tag is useless in the real world of the NFL. I believe Gonzo’s so called injuries, at least this year, is more about issues between him and Polian than just injuries. Caldwell is too much of a lap dog to step in and resolve the issue, so we have a 1st rounder, sitting on the bench, taking up a valuable spot on the 53 or 45 or 46 man roster when we badly need people who can play on the team.

Donald Brown shows a little ability from time to time but certainly not enough to have justified his first round status. If you look at the body of his work over his career you will see he really hasn’t accomplished much.

Jerry Hughes doesn't get playing time because he isn’t talented enough. He can’t beat out other busts that we picked up, has been a healthy inactive on numerous game days and has done nothing to justify his first round status. How long do you have to see him play so badly before you cut the cord.

Addai has been an average runner. Getting 1000 yards over a 16 game season isn’t a measuring stick of a great RB like it was in a 14 or 12 game regular season during seasons past. Addai can block and catch so he has some skills but I would not place him in the top 20 backs in the league.

It's pretty good considering Manning throws it 40-50 times a game.

Addai was a very big part of our Super Bowl run and frankly has been our best running back since he came to the team. No he wasn't Edge but he wasn't drafted where Edge was either. Also one can make a very strong case that other than MJD he has been the best back to come out of that draft that was supposed to be a running back heavy draft.

I literally feel sick to my stomach every time I think about taking Addai and skipping over Jones-Drew.

I literally feel sick to my stomach every time I think about taking Addai and skipping over Jones-Drew.

Come on, he was drafted one round after Addai, and Lendale White was drafted in between MJD and Addai. MJD was projected to go in the early 3rd round, as opposed to Joseph who was suppose to go in the early second round and if White weren't chosen in the 1st, he would be drafted in the first. With this logic, you can do this on a million things. Do you know how crazy and mad fans would have been if Polian picked a 3rd round RB in the first round. That's a huge stretch, don't be mad, because they didn't skip over him. Also in the end, Addai ended up being a good RB. Everyone is mad at him now because he's been injured the last 2 years, but he's still a great RB.

Come on, he was drafted one round after Addai, and Lendale White was drafted in between MJD and Addai. MJD was projected to go in the early 3rd round, as opposed to Joseph who was suppose to go in the early second round and if White weren't chosen in the 1st, he would be drafted in the first. With this logic, you can do this on a million things. Do you know how crazy and mad fans would have been if Polian picked a 3rd round RB in the first round. That's a huge stretch, don't be mad, because they didn't skip over him. Also in the end, Addai ended up being a good RB. Everyone is mad at him now because he's been injured the last 2 years, but he's still a great RB.

I'm not saying that I knew Jones-Drew would turn out to be this much better. I had no strong feelings on the matter at the time. But over the seasons, I have watched Jones-drew get better and better, while Addai has seemed to slowly decline.

And in what universe would Addai be considered a "great RB"? That gave me a good chuckle. Thanks.

It's pretty good considering Manning throws it 40-50 times a game.

Not really. Over Addai's career, he has averaged 58 yards per game on 15 carries a game with a 4.1 average per rush. Equals about 925 yards a season. Very average. He has caught 188 passes for 1,433 yard for 9 tds over his career. Also average.

Manning has averaged 35 passes a game over his career.