Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Early mock

I think he's worth it. I'm sure his character will be heavily dissected by teams at the combine. But this guy was one of the top prospects in the nation before he got suspended. He would be a steal that late.

He was never a top prospect, I'd say he's a 4th rounder without the issues. He hasn't even played this year.

I love the top 3 picks, I don't know much about the rest. You can never have too many pass rushers but it depends on the progress we see from Werner and Newsome the rest of the way. I have a hard time believing Greene will last that long, but this is another deep WR draft so anything is possible. I think the trio of TY, Greene, and Moncrief would make for a formidable future trio.

Here is an utterly random mock in November...

Rd 1: Marcus Golden, Missouri - OLB (6-3, 260LB)

Rd 2: Spencer Drango, Baylor - OT (6-6, 310LB)

Rd 3: Eric Murray, Minnesota - CB (6-0, 195LB)

Rd 4: Anthony Harris, Virginia - S (6-1, 190LB)

Rd 5: David Cobb, Minnesota - RB (5-11, 220LB)

Rd 6: Kevin White, TCU - CB (5-10, 174LB) 

Rd 6: Antonio Morrison, Florida - ILB (6-1, 230LB)

Rd 7: Landon Turner, N. Carolina - G (6-4, 315LB)

1.  Tryrus Thompson - T Oklahoma  - He is rated as a high 2nd rounder now.

2.  Anthony Harris   S  Virginia

3.  Charles Gaines  CB  Louisville

4.  David Cobb  RB  Minnesota.

FA  - Mike Iupati  49ers

After the beatdown from the Pats and the Steelers, I think the only way to Luck his rings is to build the offensive line and draft defense for the first 3 picks.  If there is no quality offensive or defensive lineman available for the first pick, tade down for more picks.

I'd fix the O-line first and try to win some shootouts, because the defense will take more time and extensive picks.  I'd give Luck elite an elite OL, and then spend the bulk of our money and picks on defense.  A great defense and OL is the key to getting Luck rings.  Forget piling money into receivers and running backs.

1.  Tryrus Thompson - T Oklahoma  - He is rated as a high 2nd rounder now.

2.  Anthony Harris   S  Virginia

3.  Charles Gaines  CB  Louisville

4.  David Cobb  RB  Minnesota.

FA  - Mike Iupati  49ers

After the beatdown from the Pats and the Steelers, I think the only way to Luck his rings is to build the offensive line and draft defense for the first 3 picks.  If there is no quality offensive or defensive lineman available for the first pick, tade down for more picks.

I'd fix the O-line first and try to win some shootouts, because the defense will take more time and extensive picks.  I'd give Luck elite an elite OL, and then spend the bulk of our money and picks on defense.  A great defense and OL is the key to getting Luck rings.  Forget piling money into receivers and running backs.

I haven't seen Thompson described as a high second round pick. He did a nice job against Shawn Oakman, but I don't think the scouts are that high on him at this point. I think Anthony Harris seems like a good fit for our defense, and I also like his teammate pass rusher Eli Harold.

Seeing as there is one thing we do very well (passing) I would love to add to the arsenal of receivers next year (TY, Moncrief, Fleener, Allen, Wayne). very early in the draft.  Right now, everyone is trying to copy what the seahawks did last year and get a quartet of elite DB's (Pats and Broncos).  Play chess with them and overwhelm them with a counter move of 5 elite receivers.  Wayne can be taken out of a game with one good CB.  I think Moncrief and TY will both require double teams next year.  Get rid of Nicks.  Add Jalen Strong or TY Montgomery and run 5 wide with TY, Moncrief, Fleener, Wayne, and a 1st round stud in draft.  Bring Allen in for run and 3 receiver sets.

Its going to take a few drafts before we get the personnel for a good run game (if ever with this coaching staff).  We could make our already great pass game over the top great with one pick in this draft.  Spend the rest of the picks on defensive positions of need or maybe OL for upgrades which would allow us to get rid of some of our underwhelming performers currently on the roster.

My Mock:

1st:  (WR)    Ty Montgomery     6'2"  215 lbs   or     Jalen Strong   6'4"  205 lbs They both should be there when we pick. 

Too good of talents talents to pass on.  Overkill; maybe (but WOW - that would be unstoppable with Luck)

2nd: (FS)     Russell Eskridge   6'3"  207 lbs         I can't remember the last time we drafted a FS high.  Adams has been

performing admirably, but if he goes down (ouch).  Delane Howell is too much of an injury risk.

3rd (OLB)     Alvin Dupree        6'4"  267 lbs   or Marcus Golden   6'3"  260 lbs     I like their size and speed.  Can both rush and

stop the run.  Bring Newsome and Mathis in for pass happy teams and Werner and one of the

above for run heavy teams.

4th:  (SS)     Cody Prewitt          6'2"  220 lbs   or     Jeremy Cash  6'1"  210 lbs     Would give us better coverage than what we

currently  have while still giving us in the box toughness.

5th:  (CB)     Jalen Collins        6'1"    195 lbs   or  Kevin Johnson  6'2"   215 lbs  or Cam Thomas 6'1" 190 lbs.   Would love to find

a cb the equivalent of Toler to bring in as our nickel back.  Move Butler to Dime.  Gordy has never impressed me.

6th:  (OL)     Trenton Brown    6'8"  350 lbs     Bring in for depth on OL or possible starter.  Big and athletic.

6th:  (OL)      Jamon Brown     6'5"   350 lbs    More OL Depth.  Possible starter at guard. 

7th:  (RB)      Whoever is the BPA at that position.

Here is my latest knowing that Bradshaw may not be back next year and this OL still needs work...

Round 1 Pick 18: Andrus Peat, OT, Stanford (A)
Round 2 Pick 18: Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin (A)
Round 3 Pick 19 (BALT): Devonte Fields, DE, TCU (B+)
Round 4 Pick 18: Adrian Amos, FS, Penn State (B+)
Round 5 Pick 4 (NYJ): Kyshoen Jarrett, SS, Virginia Tech (A-)
Round 5 Pick 18: A.J. Johnson, ILB, Tennessee (B)
Round 6 Pick 18: Quandre Diggs, CB, Texas (A)
Round 6 Pick 23: Damian Swann, CB, Georgia (B)
Round 7 Pick 18: Desmond Hollin, DT, Florida State (B-)
Round 7 Pick 19: Kasen Williams, WR, Washington (B+)

Here is my latest knowing that Bradshaw may not be back next year and this OL still needs work...

Round 2 Pick 18: Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin (A)

Round 3 Pick 19 (BALT): Devonte Fields, DE, TCU (B+)

Round 4 Pick 18: Adrian Amos, FS, Penn State (B+)

Round 5 Pick 4 (NYJ): Kyshoen Jarrett, SS, Virginia Tech (A-)

Round 5 Pick 18: A.J. Johnson, ILB, Tennessee (B)

Round 6 Pick 18: Quandre Diggs, CB, Texas (A)

Round 6 Pick 23: Damian Swann, CB, Georgia (B)

Round 7 Pick 19: Kasen Williams, WR, Washington (B+)

Ok so didnt realize both Devonte Fields and AJ Johnson have serious baggage off the field, so here is a new draft...

Round 2 Pick 25 (DAL): Nate Orchard, DE, Utah (A-)

Round 3 Pick 18: Rashad Greene, WR, Florida State (A)

Round 3 Pick 25 (DAL): Duke Johnson, RB, Miami (Fla.) (A)

Round 4 Pick 18: Jordan Richards, SS, Stanford (A)

Round 5 Pick 18: Quandre Diggs, CB, Texas (B)

Round 6 Pick 18: Junior Sylvestre, OLB, Toledo (B-)

Round 6 Pick 23: Curtis Riley, CB, Fresno State (C+)

Round 7 Pick 19: Julian Wilson, CB, Oklahoma (E)

In free agency we let go of LaRon Landry and Gosder Cherilus if it makes sense cap wise. We also sign free agent help at DL.

Just a few quick comments about several of the players. Rashad Greene will never last until the 3rd round. Arik Armstrong projected 1st round. One of my favorite players is Cody Prewitt, but he will be gone by middle of the 2nd at the latest from everything I have read. Also, Melvin Gordon is going to go first round, top 20, expecially since Gurley has gone down with ACL. He would have gone first round even if Gurley was healthy, but Gurley would have gone before him.

I really love the names being put out, but the draft position is way too low IMHO.

I would like to take our first, and trade it for a two 2nds, and a 3rd. We would have to throw in our 4th rounder, but there is so much depth in the late 1st and 2nd. I looked at the trade value charts, and if we draft at 24, trade it, and our 4th, we would get two 2nds and a 3rd. With the depth, it would be nice.

One more quick thought, I don't know if we let go of Landry and Cherilus due to the large cap hits next year, but if we are going to do it, we would have savings in 16 and 17 of around 16M and 17M, which would be great since that is when we start paying Luck. Regardless, Cherilus and Landry have significant dead money hits next year, but there contracts are so backloaded, if we don't think they are answers, it would be best to take the pain now, and reap the benefits after 2015 season.

• 2 weeks later...