Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Cant Manning & Luck Co-Exist?

Coltsagent

Superman already covered this.

Luck has zero leverage in the matter. Even when players did have some semblance of leverage, it was still the exception rather than the rule.

In other words, this is all much ado about nothing.

If the Indianapolis Colts draft Andrew Luck, Andrew Luck will be a member of the Indianapolis Colts. It's just that simple.

Whatever man. The bottom line is no one can force Luck to sign a contract. I'm not saying it would be beneficial for him to play hardball or or that he is the kind of player that would but the fact remains, he cannot be forced to sign a contract. So, I disagree but not going to keep arguing about it.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, he will learn a lot by holding a clipboard.

What makes you think he would only hold the clipboard. Painter was never signed to be the next franchise QB just a back up and the same with Sorgi. I don't think that either one was signed for the next QB after Peyton but maybe I am wrong. Who knows what will happen I guess we will see come April.

Whatever man. The bottom line is no one can force Luck to sign a contract. I'm not saying it would be beneficial for him to play hardball or or that he is the kind of player that would but the fact remains, he cannot be forced to sign a contract. So, I disagree but not going to keep arguing about it.

That's ok. I hope you didn't take this personally because that was never my intent. We are on the same side after all.

:blueshoe:

Any quarterback, at any point in time, can refuse to sign. Any player, for that matter. I don't think you avoid drafting a player because you're scared he might hold out. And I really, really don't see why people think Andrew Luck would hold out. He has no leverage. Sure, he could hold out even though he'd be messing himself, but would he? I doubt it.

I think if Polian(s) believe Luck is as good as what people say, he will be picked and we will keep both of them. Makes sense to me. No player is indestructable. If we trade the pick and by some small chance Manning gets hurt, who plays then? Painter??? Same thing if we cut Manning and draft Luck. What happens if Luck gets hurt? Painter is back in?

I know Luck talked to Manning last year about whether he should come back or not. I hope they are on good terms. Luck was willing to redshirt even though he had the ability to play right away, from what I have read. My hope is he comes out and says learning from the greatest of all time would be an honor for him, and the Colts are good for another 15 years.

The caproom, i don't think, will be a problem, because what was spent this year on Collins, Painter, and Orvolsky is near what Luck would make. Also, if they want to make some moves, I say cut a guy like Brackett. He is good, but older and I think Angerer is better.

I think if Polian(s) believe Luck is as good as what people say, he will be picked and we will keep both of them. Makes sense to me. No player is indestructable. If we trade the pick and by some small chance Manning gets hurt, who plays then? Painter??? Same thing if we cut Manning and draft Luck. What happens if Luck gets hurt? Painter is back in?

I know Luck talked to Manning last year about whether he should come back or not. I hope they are on good terms. Luck was willing to redshirt even though he had the ability to play right away, from what I have read. My hope is he comes out and says learning from the greatest of all time would be an honor for him, and the Colts are good for another 15 years.

The caproom, i don't think, will be a problem, because what was spent this year on Collins, Painter, and Orvolsky is near what Luck would make. Also, if they want to make some moves, I say cut a guy like Brackett. He is good, but older and I think Angerer is better.

We will need to address the QB position in more ways than one next year. With or without Manning, or Luck, we need a viable back up. If it's Manning & Luck, then we will likely see another rookie at QB3 unless Manning returns to form quickly.

If Manning retires, then we likely bring in a veteran presence for Luck & another rookie as QB3. Or we might trade the #1 pick for a passel of picks and go a different route at qb all together, but either way we will need a back up because Painter isn't an NFL quarterback.

Luck's dad and Archie Manning were teammates for a year or so in Houston, so there is a family connection there. Luck has attended the Manning Passing Academy as both a player and as a counselor, so in my opinion Luck will know far more about Manning's situation than say USC's Barkley or any of the other 1st round considerations at quarterback.

From a salary cap perspective, it can be done, but it's still not an optimal situation with having Manning & Luck and insert name here on the books at one position.

While Irsay & Polian seem determined to draft Luck, I'm still in the belief that it will be one or the other, and that is the 28 million dollar question that will have to be answered fairly soon.

I don't see Brackett coming back next season. I figure Jeff Saturday is done. Melvin Bullitt won't be back. Addai might be gone. The cap goes up this year, right? We'll have some decisions with Mathis and Wayne. Other guys expire. I think there's a lot to do with the cap coming up this offseason.

Any quarterback, at any point in time, can refuse to sign. Any player, for that matter. I don't think you avoid drafting a player because you're scared he might hold out. And I really, really don't see why people think Andrew Luck would hold out. He has no leverage. Sure, he could hold out even though he'd be messing himself, but would he? I doubt it.

Just to clarify, I never said that I think Luck will hold out. The point was simply that Luck could try to force a trade ala Eli Manning if he didn't want to sit on the bench for 4 years. I also agree you don't not draft a player because you're scared he won't sign. I don't think that would be an issue at all because with the #1 pick, Indy will have ample opportunity to negotiate with whoever they want at #1 (unless they decide to trade) prior to the draft so. I also agree with Gocolts when he mentioned that Bill Polian keeps saying it has to be the right guy, and imo part of that means a guy who is fine with being behind Peyton on the depth chart. I have no doubt they'll discuss this with each of the top QB prospects they bring in. If Luck expresses to them that he'd rather not sit that long then I don't think the Colts would bother drafting him. I don't think it would ever come down to either side having to try to play hard ball. I think it's something they'll discuss and the Colts wouldn't try to draft someone who's going to be unhappy sitting. There's no need to try to force someone into a situation they don't want to be in and possibly causing dissention or resentment. There's no reason to bring that kind of drama. One thing the Colts have done in the past decade is avoid drama like the plague.

Just to clarify, I never said that I think Luck will hold out. The point was simply that Luck could try to force a trade ala Eli Manning if he didn't want to sit on the bench for 4 years. I also agree you don't not draft a player because you're scared he won't sign. I don't think that would be an issue at all because with the #1 pick, Indy will have ample opportunity to negotiate with whoever they want at #1 (unless they decide to trade) prior to the draft so. I also agree with Gocolts when he mentioned that Bill Polian keeps saying it has to be the right guy, and imo part of that means a guy who is fine with being behind Peyton on the depth chart. I have no doubt they'll discuss this with each of the top QB prospects they bring in. If Luck expresses to them that he'd rather not sit that long then I don't think the Colts would bother drafting him. I don't think it would ever come down to either side having to try to play hard ball. I think it's something they'll discuss and the Colts wouldn't try to draft someone who's going to be unhappy sitting. There's no need to try to force someone into a situation they don't want to be in and possibly causing dissention or resentment. There's no reason to bring that kind of drama. One thing the Colts have done in the past decade is avoid drama like the plague.

Jason, I agree with all of what you've stated with the following exception: When Polian said they are looking for the right quarterback, I take that to mean the best evaluated quarterback regardless of if he is willing to sit behind Peyton or not. With the confusion of whether Polian even had a discussion with Peyton regarding drafting a quarterback, I think that he is tipping his hand that he will draft a quarterback and perhaps without the intention of having him sit behind Peyton. It's also possible that I've read into it the wrong way.

i honestly see NO PROBLEM with having Andrew Luck as a backup for 2-3 years. How long was Rodgers a backup to Favre?

If Luck starts next year, he will be good. But if he backs up Peyton and learns, he will be phenomenal.

Were not like the Jets fans or New York Giants fans where a quarterback makes a couple of mistakes and we will call out the backup. The fact of the matter is that most of those quarterbacks are inconsistent. Peyton is NOT!

Jason, I agree with all of what you've stated with the following exception: When Polian said they are looking for the right quarterback, I take that to mean the best evaluated quarterback regardless of if he is willing to sit behind Peyton or not. With the confusion of whether Polian even had a discussion with Peyton regarding drafting a quarterback, I think that he is tipping his hand that he will draft a quarterback and perhaps without the intention of having him sit behind Peyton. It's also possible that I've read into it the wrong way.

See I took it to mean the highest rated QB who would have no issue with being behind Peyton. I would have to think that when interviewing with the candidates for a top pick like this that where they fall on the depth chart would have to be part of the discussions leading up to the draft and if any of the candidates were to express a strong opinion against having to sit for that long then I don't think the Colts would draft them anyway. That's just my take on it and just like you said, I could have read it the wrong way too. :)