Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mallett time? Update: Fitzpatrick benched (merge)

dw49

I guess he tweeted something to that effect after Sunday's loss and then quickly removed it. I have no idea of what the Texans feelings are here. Either he is viewed as a back up type player or they have visions of R.F. morphing into something he's not. I guess the fact that Mallett was traded late in the preseason could be the real reason he hasn't played a down. Anyway , the next few days should be interesting regarding this. Seems like the buy week would be the right timing if this were to happen.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been saying this for a few weeks now. Give Mallett a shot. He is a guy that can get the ball down field. Big arm and was coming along in NE until Jimmy. Not sure if he will pan into a quality starter but I think you have to see what you got at this point. They traded for him for a reason.

Bye week, they could make a change now. But given how early in the preseason they declared Fitzpatrick to be the starter, I wonder whether they'd make a move at all. It would also be sort of an early hook, IMO. He's only had a couple of bad games. Of course, you kind of know what he is and what he can do, so it wouldn't be that strange if they closed the book on him. 

Fitzpatrick and RM are just holdover QBs until Savage is ready

And what is the timetable for a QB drafted at the bottom of round 4 ? More likely than not , the next franchise QB for the Texans is in high school or college. 

Bye week, they could make a change now. But given how early in the preseason they declared Fitzpatrick to be the starter, I wonder whether they'd make a move at all. It would also be sort of an early hook, IMO. He's only had a couple of bad games. Of course, you kind of know what he is and what he can do, so it wouldn't be that strange if they closed the book on him. 

True that he's not been terrible , but in today's NFL it's very difficult to go far in the playoffs with a "boarder line" starting QB. If not for a last place schedule and 4 games with Jack and Tenn , they would have zero shot at making the playoffs. I guess you could say they were unlucky losing to Pitt but they also caught a break playing Buffalo before the QB switch. Bottom line is I think they have to give Mallett a shot to prove he's not the answer. That's probably the case but unless they see something in Savage , pick 135 in 2014 draft , they need to fill the QB void sooner than later.

Brady turned out all right

Yes he did . Now would you like to go through all the other QB's in the last 15-20 years that were drafted around pick 135 and later. Then we can come to an intelligent agreement as to the odds that all they have to do is wait a year or two for Savage to develop.

Yes he did . Now would you like to go through all the other QB's in the last 15-20 years that were drafted around pick 135 and later. Then we can come to an intelligent agreement as to the odds that all they have to do is wait a year or two for Savage to develop.

I agree but Savage will get a shot

Mallett must have some kind of flaw because he was an O'Brien guy and hasn't replaced Fitz yet

It's close to being the time, as this is the bye week for Houston.

But, here's the deal.....    head coaches often don't want to pull the plug on the starter until a team is mathematically eliminated and the Texans aren't there yet.

So, O'Brien may decide to wait a few more weeks.    You don't want players to give up early on a season while the team tests the young QB.

And is the young QB Mallett or Savage?    I'd guess -- at least for now -- it's Mallett.

But, O'Brien may decide the time is right to make the change and he'll deal with any other issues that may or may not come.

If I had to guess -- O'Brien will make a change now.    But it's just a hunch....

It's close to being the time, as this is the bye week for Houston.

But, here's the deal.....    head coaches often don't want to pull the plug on the starter until a team is mathematically eliminated and the Texans aren't there yet.

So, O'Brien may decide to wait a few more weeks.    You don't want players to give up early on a season while the team tests the young QB.

And is the young QB Mallett or Savage?    I'd guess -- at least for now -- it's Mallett.

But, O'Brien may decide the time is right to make the change and he'll deal with any other issues that may or may not come.

If I had to guess -- O'Brien will make a change now.    But it's just a hunch....

Don't forget that Mallett is in his 4th year. Granted not much game time but far from a rookie or 2nd year guy. Then the flip side to that is he didn't spend training camp with the Texans. So yeah... pretty "complicated" but I also think he pulls the plug now.

I agree but Savage will get a shot

Mallett must have some kind of flaw because he was an O'Brien guy and hasn't replaced Fitz yet

Yeah.. I agree with that. I just thought maybe you over stated that a bit. Sounded like you were saying they were just keeping the seat warm until Savage was ready. He's an interesting guy as he spent a lot of his college career transferring . I guess I would question him losing the job due to injury at Rutgers. I mean who the heck was that Dodd guy ? But players do develop and coaches do screw up. Also I guess Dodd had 2 very good games after he replaced Savage and then Rutgers lost the last 6 with Dodd .. who was also a freshman like Savage. What a mess and maybe Savage and the the head coach just had a real falling out and Savage left what maybe would have been a starting job ? Who knows....

Here's a brief summary of his college career....

Savage enrolled at Rutgers University in 2009, and after Rutgers opened the season with a loss to Cincinnati, he was named the starting quarterback. He led the team to a 9-4 record. During his freshman year at Rutgers, Savage passed for 2,211 yards and 14 touchdowns, while throwing only 7 interceptions. In arguably his best game of the year, he completed 14 of 27 passes for a season-high 294 yards and 2 touchdowns against the University of Central Florida in the 2009 St. Petersburg Bowl.[2] He was named on the All-American Freshman Team by the Football Writers Association of America.[3]

In 2010, Savage threw for 521 passing yards, two touchdowns, and three interceptions.[4] Early in the season, he was sidelined by an injury to his hand and replaced with freshman quarterbackChas Dodd. Dodd remained the starting QB based on his performance against Connecticut in his first ever start. On January 8, 2011, Savage announced he would be transferring from Rutgers University.[5] Rutgers granted Savage a conditional release. In February 2011 he announced that he was transferring to Arizona. He would have had to sit out the 2011 season due to NCAA transfer rules but would be eligible to play in 2012.[6]

Late in 2011, Savage announced that he would be leaving Arizona. This move followed the announcement that Arizona had hired Rich Rodriguez as Head Coach. In June Savage announced via his Twitter page that he would be transferring to Pittsburgh where he redshirted in 2012.[7] Savage initially wanted to play at Rutgers again; however a hardship waiver was denied by the NCAA.

On August 14, 2013, Pitt head coach Paul Chryst officially named Savage the starting quarterback for the 2013 season opener against Florida State.[8] For the season he passed for 2,958 yards and 21 touchdowns.

Someone already pretty much said this, but...

With Fitzpatrick, there's no mystery. You know what you've got. You know how good he can be and the level at which he should normally play.

With Mallet, no one knows. He had first round talent but slipped in the draft and has basically not played except for preseason (where he only looked so-so at best). If Houston feels like they have nothing to lose they might as well see what they have in Mallett. They traded for him, might as well see what's there.

Won't matter who is starting QB of that offense. They have Arian Foster; an awesome RB and run a one dimensional spread pass heavy offense.

Told you guys from day one that Bill O'Brien is a joke.

Schaub is having the last laugh after Houston fans were burning his jerseys.

Won't matter who is starting QB of that offense. They have Arian Foster; an awesome RB and run a one dimensional spread pass heavy offense.

Told you guys from day one that Bill O'Brien is a joke.

Schaub is having the last laugh after Houston fans were burning his jerseys.

Here's the beauty of you.     You're wrong -- you're spectacurly wrong -- and you don't even know it!

O'Brien is doing a great job,  only you don't know it.    And Schaub?    He's played in one game   One.

He's thrown one pass.    One.     And it was intercepted!     Carr is getting most of the work and doing a great job.     McGloin is the back-up.     Schaub is the 3rd string on a team in contention for the 1st pick in next year's draft.    And he's having the last laugh?!?

Do you even pay attention to what you're saying?

Fortunately for you,  everyone is entitled to their own opinion,  even people who have no idea what they're talking about!!       :thmup:

Here's the beauty of you.     You're wrong -- you're spectacurly wrong -- and you don't even know it!

O'Brien is doing a great job,  only you don't know it.    And Schaub?    He's played in one game   One.

He's thrown one pass.    One.     And it was intercepted!     Carr is getting most of the work and doing a great job.     McGloin is the back-up.     Schaub is the 3rd string on a team in contention for the 1st pick in next year's draft.    And he's having the last laugh?!?

Do you even pay attention to what you're saying?

Fortunately for you,  everyone is entitled to their own opinion,  even people who have no idea what they're talking about!!       :thmup:

LOL

Schaub's one pass was on a fake FG, wasn't it? He couldn't even catch the snap properly...

http://arrowheadaddict.com/2014/10/27/raiders-matt-schaubs-first-pass-8-million-fake-fg-interception/

Here's another part to the story. Mallett is a free agent after this year. So if he plays well , would the  be Texans happy that they helped drive the price up ? Or on the other hand is it more important to know what they have in Mallett ? 

Here's another part to the story. Mallett is a free agent after this year. So if he plays well , would the  be Texans happy that they helped drive the price up ? Or on the other hand is it more important to know what they have in Mallett ? 

They would get a compensatory pick in 2016, at the least. At best, he winds up being a good player and they can re-sign him themselves. They don't have a QB at the moment. This thread is about benching the ineffective Fitzpatrick, and there's hardly any mention of Savage being in the mix just yet. If for no other reason, they can play Mallett to see whether he's good enough to be their QB, and you worry about everything else once you figure that out.

But it's like you said earlier, their QB of the future probably isn't on the roster right now. They passed on at least two guys that I think could have been "IT" for them, Bortles and Carr.

They would get a compensatory pick in 2016, at the least. At best, he winds up being a good player and they can re-sign him themselves. They don't have a QB at the moment. This thread is about benching the ineffective Fitzpatrick, and there's hardly any mention of Savage being in the mix just yet. If for no other reason, they can play Mallett to see whether he's good enough to be their QB, and you worry about everything else once you figure that out.

But it's like you said earlier, their QB of the future probably isn't on the roster right now. They passed on at least two guys that I think could have been "IT" for them, Bortles and Carr.

Agree that they should play him . The only reason they should not would be is they feel he has no chance of being the starter going forward. I guess they and the Pats would be the best to answer that one. 

Agree that they should play him . The only reason they should not would be is they feel he has no chance of being the starter going forward. I guess they and the Pats would be the best to answer that one. 

There's really no reason to stick with Fitzpatrick at this point.

As an aside, but somewhat related, Andre Johnson is growing increasingly frustrated with the Texans. Not saying you switch QBs to appease him, but I don't think the Texans are going anywhere this season, especially if he's not on board.

How did they let Case go???

And is the answer to that the same as how he never won a game??? I swear every other pass he threw was a bomb for a touchdown last year.

You weren't paying attention then. Case Keenum had next to no ability to recognize defenses, and even the slightest disguise threw him for a loop. The blitz utterly destroyed him time and time again until they eventually had seen enough. The Texans biggest needs in the offseason were QB and DB, and really they only have Hopkins and an aging and malcontented Andre Johnson at WR. They addressed none of this in the offseason (likely due to cap issues), and now are basically hoping their dominant defensive front 7 and workhorse of a back in Arian Foster can carry them by themselves. Unfortunately, this isn't the 80's, and a single workhorse back and defensive front 7 with no backfield is not a recipe for consistent success.

If Mallett isn't the guy (because let's face it, Savage at 3rd on the depth chart likely will be lucky to be a career backup), then top priority in the offseason should be a complete offensive overhaul for Houston.

Someone already pretty much said this, but...

With Fitzpatrick, there's no mystery. You know what you've got. You know how good he can be and the level at which he should normally play.

With Mallet, no one knows. He had first round talent but slipped in the draft and has basically not played except for preseason (where he only looked so-so at best). If Houston feels like they have nothing to lose they might as well see what they have in Mallett. They traded for him, might as well see what's there.

We literally did this exact same thing last year with Schaub and Keenum. 

How hard is it to fall backwards right into a franchise QB? You Indy and NE fans make it seem so easy.

How hard is it to fall backwards right into a franchise QB? You Indy and NE fans make it seem so easy.

I am not sure I follow? You don't even know what you have in Mallett just like the Pats did not know what they had in Brady. I think you give him a shot. Fitz isn't going to get you anywhere. That much is plain as day.

You weren't paying attention then. Case Keenum had next to no ability to recognize defenses, and even the slightest disguise threw him for a loop. The blitz utterly destroyed him time and time again until they eventually had seen enough. The Texans biggest needs in the offseason were QB and DB, and really they only have Hopkins and an aging and malcontented Andre Johnson at WR. They addressed none of this in the offseason (likely due to cap issues), and now are basically hoping their dominant defensive front 7 and workhorse of a back in Arian Foster can carry them by themselves. Unfortunately, this isn't the 80's, and a single workhorse back and defensive front 7 with no backfield is not a recipe for consistent success.

If Mallett isn't the guy (because let's face it, Savage at 3rd on the depth chart likely will be lucky to be a career backup), then top priority in the offseason should be a complete offensive overhaul for Houston.

What was the Colt's disguise? A fake 3 TD deficit?

What was the Colt's disguise? A fake 3 TD deficit?

The Colts went Vanilla against him in the first half of that game and didn't disguise anything really,likely because they didn't feel comfortable with the limited film they saw on him. Then they put pressure on him in the second half and he melted. The book is written on Keenum man, he implodes at even the slightest hint of pressure he didn't expect. 

Brady's the luckiest break the Pats ever had, that's for sure. 199 players and I think six QBs taken before him... unreal.

I actually thought NOT reaching on any of the guys in 2014 was a smart move by the Texans. I haven't really liked the last two QB draft classes, actually. Better to be patient than to take the next Geno Smith or guy like him. 

Did anyone else see the crazy stat they flashed up on Fitz during the Philly game. 32nd out of QBs in stuff like passer rating, completion percentage in the 1st half of games, but 1st in the 2nd half. I might be misremebering somewhat hence why I'm asking if anyone else saw it. 

With the D the Texans have they are only a competent (not even elite) QB away from at least a wildcard. 

Think- Luck if he stays in Indy will be a deadly threat to the Texans for a long, long time. There is no use focusing strictly on a QB if you are facing an offenses twice a year like Indy. They need a secondary to challenge Luck and an offense to match Indy's.  To me, they are in a much deeper hole than the media is saying. Look at New England's division and how the Pats have owned it. The Texans best hop is a playoff spot and they will need all the other AFC teams to stink to get there. For Luck to come to the pros and succeed like he has is a freak event so the Texans are doomed to at least four more years of mediocrity and how long would any prime time receiver stay with such a team? Bottom line: the Texans  have three QBs and no QBs so they might as well throw their fate to the wind this year.