Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Most to least important positions

rock8591

It's a pass happy league now, you can't expect to win by running the ball any more than 200 yards a game, at best. That's why QBs, DEs, DTs, and OLs are heavily important in today's league.

CB, WR, and S, MLB/ILB are important skill positions as well.

K / P - 1 kicker and 1 punter is by far more important to their team than 1 RB or FB. People tend to ignore "special teams" yards such as Punt, FG, Kickoff, kick/punt return because it is not technically considered amongst offensive and defensive yards gained.

RB - Players are reflective of their OLs and the opposing DL, not their own skill 90% of the time.

FB - needs no mention.

If you would have asked me before this year, Punter would have probably been on the bottom. Though Pat isn't traditional, he is certainly extremely useful/game-changing for us, so there is no way I could justify putting Punter on the bottom, on this forum at least. 

QB is at the top. I also put an extreme value on Cornerbacks. You either need a great pass rush or great secondary to be a great defense. And I think a great secondary will cover the deficiency more than vice versa, simply because even with a great pass rush, you can't expect them to be sacking the QB every time he holds it for more than 2 seconds. But for the most part we've seen with this year a corner can consistantly play great. FB is useless, I agree it is on the bottom. A good blocking RB or TE can be used in that position when needed without wasting a roster spot. 

Most to least important positions, nowadays in the NFL? I'll discuss more later, but here's my brief summary.

QB

DE (can be 3-4, 4-3) and OLB (3-4)

OT

DT (4-3) and NT (3-4)

OG

C

CB

WR/TE

S

ILB/MLB

K

P

RB

FB

RB is higher than that. They might be the most expendable but their responsibilities are very important in the offense