Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Special Teams

Corndog

I watched the Bears game yesterday and they are known for having one of the best special teams groups in the league. I also noticed who they use for special teams, their best players. Johnny Knox and Devon Hester are starting receivers that return the ball, starting lineman and linebackers are out there blocking for the kick returns. Why not use Pierre Garcon for kick returns? The main reason we drafted him was because of his speed and the part of the game where that is most important he isn't even used.

I watched the Bears game yesterday and they are known for having one of the best special teams groups in the league. I also noticed who they use for special teams, their best players. Johnny Knox and Devon Hester are starting receivers that return the ball, starting lineman and linebackers are out there blocking for the kick returns. Why not use Pierre Garcon for kick returns? The main reason we drafted him was because of his speed and the part of the game where that is most important he isn't even used.

It is apparent after 10 years of the worst special teams in nfl history, that the organization does'nt care about special teams, who cares that it has cost us playoff wins and a superbowl. Thank godnees we have Pat Macafee or our SP would be at a jv high school level, and that is no joke. I am sure it is due to Manning being out, everything else is.

I agree, it is obvious this organization has completely ignored special teams for years. It is something very obvious they could have improved with the players we already have. People complain about the quarterback position, but I bet the Bears will win a couple of games with Caleb Hanie, and he might actually be worse than Painter.

The team has such a lack of talented backup players that they don't want to risk one of the starters getting hurt playing on special teams. They pay a few talented players a lot of money and then fill the remainder of the roster with UDFAs, players from other teams' practice squads, and players cut from other teams and those same player spill onto special teams. Plus smallish type players can't block or cover very well on special teams. We need an elite corner who can return kicks.

It is apparent after 10 years of the worst special teams in nfl history, that the organization does'nt care about special teams, who cares that it has cost us playoff wins and a superbowl. Thank godnees we have Pat Macafee or our SP would be at a jv high school level, and that is no joke. I am sure it is due to Manning being out, everything else is.

Sigh, sorry to say but that is the truth. I have never, ever seen special teams as consistently horrible as the Colts have been over the past 7-8 years. :eek:

The team has such a lack of talented backup players that they don't want to risk one of the starters getting hurt playing on special teams. They pay a few talented players a lot of money and then fill the remainder of the roster with UDFAs, players from other teams' practice squads, and players cut from other teams and those same player spill onto special teams. Plus smallish type players can't block or cover very well on special teams. We need an elite corner who can return kicks.

Here is the truth about the special teams. We are so top heavy with our salaries that we do not pay for depth and that translates into horrible players playing key roles on special teams.

I do not know why anyone gets mad anymore about our special teams. It has been this way for years and has always been neglected. It is just another thing neglected because we had Manning to clean up for horrible special teams play.

It almost cost us our Superbowl Win. Hester returning that kickoff return in the opening game of the Superbowl was ridiculous. Now, the Colts have the infamous pleasure of being the only team in Superbowl history to give one up. Congrats Colts! Keep making history!

Here is the truth about the special teams. We are so top heavy with our salaries that we do not pay for depth and that translates into horrible players playing key roles on special teams.

I do not know why anyone gets mad anymore about our special teams. It has been this way for years and has always been neglected. It is just another thing neglected because we had Manning to clean up for horrible special teams play.

90% of teams are top salary heavy.

i agree bp does a poor job of managing our cap as you said that is why we dont have good talent at all positions, cant pay a few most of the allowed cap and expect them to carry the team.and for the team to compete when the hi dollar players are hurt

Are you serious??? You did notice how well Garcon returns punts, right? An avg. of MINUS 3 yards per return. He has no business being back there. Our "star" players are rested too much to be playing on special teams. I have noticing all year how much Freeney and Mathis have been sitting out plays. I counted yesterday, early in the game, Freeney sat four out of six plays. Why are we resting these guys??? There is no playoffs this year. Earn your money.

Yeah I guess they have used Garcon for punt returns, not kickoff though. I doubt he would be good at those if he isn't at punt returns, but they are different, you usually have more time to gain momentum and read the blocks for kick returns over punt returns. It's not just the guy returning the kicks, if they had better blockers and defenders we would get better returns and not just give the other team 40 yards. I understand they don't have depth, which is why special teams are so bad, but why not put starters out there this season. At this point is really doesn't matter if more players get injured and if we can improve special teams it could actually help this team win a game or two. It just annoys me when a player that does well at special teams get promoted to start they take him off of special teams.