Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Favre says he's glad Manning will break his record

Blue Horseshoe

13 things you might want to know about Peyton's 503 TD passes, some were actually surprising to me:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/10/peyton-manning-500-touchdown-passes-record-brett-favre-facts-stats

Those numbers about when he's throwing TDs are just crazy. I would have thought a majority had to be when he was ahead, but then again, he has the most comebacks ever for a reason.

favre knows if he said his real feelings of praying for a career ending injury, it wouldn't go over well

I think Favre knows as well as Manning that if the rules didn't change they would not have come close to Marino's numbers. Marino was the best pure passer the game has ever known or will know.

I think Favre knows as well as Manning that if the rules didn't change they would not have come close to Marino's numbers. Marino was the best pure passer the game has ever known or will know.

Yes and I would expect Luck to be knocking on the door for this exact reason. He will have had the benefit of the new rules for his whole career unlike Favre and Manning.

Eh, if you think that, that's fine.  I disagree.  You can say that virtually about all broken records and records that will never be broken.  The game changes and one day we'll be saying this about Manning when they go to an 18 game season.  It's just the nature of how the sport revolves.

Eh, if you think that, that's fine.  I disagree.  You can say that virtually about all broken records and records that will never be broken.  The game changes and one day we'll be saying this about Manning when they go to an 18 game season.  It's just the nature of how the sport revolves.

Sure. A record is a record. But the rule changes have been drastic in the QBs favor that can't be denied.

Sure. A record is a record. But the rule changes have been drastic in the QBs favor that can't be denied.

I still don't think that's an argument in support of Marino being the best pure passer ever.  That's just not quantifiable.  It's like the whole debate between who's better between Manning and Brady in this era.  People judge a QB based on different accomplishments.  Right or wrong, it doesn't matter what the justification is.  The point is, some people will side with Manning and the others with Brady.  Same thing with Marino/Manning.  Whatever the criteria we judge that comparison by, it will ultimately come down a matter of opinion - which as I said, isn't something that's quantifiable.

He rarely gets that distinction due to the lack of championships, which is nothing short of a travesty. Dan Marino is the best at his job in the history of football aside from arguably Jerry Rice. For his position he certainly is.

I still don't think that's an argument in support of Marino being the best pure passer ever.  That's just not quantifiable.  It's like the whole debate between who's better between Manning and Brady in this era.  People judge a QB based on different accomplishments.  Right or wrong, it doesn't matter what the justification is.  The point is, some people will side with Manning and the others with Brady.  Same thing with Marino/Manning.  Whatever the criteria we judge that comparison by, it will ultimately come down a matter of opinion - which as I said, isn't something that's quantifiable.

There is no debate. Marino was the best pure passer. He would have thrown for 80,000 with the rule changes.

Rice and Jordan have the stats to back it up along with rings. Marino, not so much

Marino has the stats during an era where you could maul the QB and the receivers. And he didn't have the benefit of playing with the greatest receiver in Jerry Rice or anyone even close to Rice's level and still put up insane numbers.

And Favre and Manning only have one ring a piece.

He rarely gets that distinction due to the lack of championships, which is nothing short of a travesty. Dan Marino is the best at his job in the history of football aside from arguably Jerry Rice. For his position he certainly is.

Yes, I would agree. He did not even have the same caliber receivers as the other great QBs of his time. He had Mark Clayton and Mark Duper and that's it. Not one HoF receiver. Imagine what he would have done with Rice or Calvin Johnson.

Marino has the stats during an era where you could maul the QB and the receivers. And he didn't have the benefit of playing with the greatest receiver in Jerry Rice or anyone even close to Rice's level and still put up insane numbers.

so far..although Marino is likely to stay at 'one'

There is no debate. Marino was the best pure passer. He would have thrown for 80,000 with the rule changes.

Marino's arm was so powerful that he split up zones and expanded the area you had to cover.

He would have shredded Seattle's secondary..because they rely on closing speed..and he neutralized that

13 things you might want to know about Peyton's 503 TD passes, some were actually surprising to me:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/10/peyton-manning-500-touchdown-passes-record-brett-favre-facts-stats

I think he gets 5 in NY Sunday...The Jets are demoralized and the Denver receivers really seem to enjoy setting these records..

No one is covering Emmanual Sanders effectively

What about the fact that the majority of the time when Marino was growing up African Americans didn't play Qb which would have diluted the Qb talent pool when he was a pro (babe Ruth argument)? You ever see Bo Jackson throw a baseball? What if he was told at the age of 6 that he could play Qb in the nfl?

Also, when Marino was coming up baseball was the biggest sport in the world and a much bigger percentage of elite athletes played baseball than they do today.

This is a fun conversation but it's certainly not beyond debate.

Fine, he would have thrown for 80,000 yards and he's the best pure passer.  I've talked to thedude enough the past day or two I don't have the time, energy, or ability to care enough to go down this route. 

Yes, I would agree. He did not even have the same caliber receivers as the other great QBs of his time. He had Mark Clayton and Mark Duper and that's it. Not one HoF receiver. Imagine what he would have done with Rice or Calvin Johnson.

What HoF receiver did Elway or Favre have?

Fine, he would have thrown for 80,000 yards and he's the best pure passer.  I've talked to thedude enough the past day or two I don't have the time, energy, or ability to care enough to go down this route. 

You can disagree. It is a forum. I like your posts. You always present well reasoned arguments even if at times I disagree with them which is rare. Although I could see how you may be drained and not in the mood from the CB thread.

What HoF receiver did Elway or Favre have?

Elway is not in the discussion as Marino had more stats than him. Favre is fair game as he did not have prolific receivers and played in a cold weather city but he had all those picks. If I had to rate it, I think I would go with Marino as 1, Favre at 2 and Manning at 3 as the top passers all time.

You can disagree. It is a forum. I like your posts. You always present well reasoned arguments even if at times I disagree with them which is rare. Although I could see how you may be drained and not in the mood from the CB thread.

Well, that and i'ts just been a long day at work, too.  I know you're just playin around, and usually ti's fun.  We'll have a battle of wits to the death another day.

Elway is not in the discussion as Marino had more stats than him. Favre is fair game as he did not have prolific receivers and played in a cold weather city but he had all those picks. If I had to rate it, I think I would go with Marino as 1, Favre at 2 and Manning at 3 as the top passers all time.

You said he didn't have better receivers than the other qbs of his era. Elway was another great qb in his era

Fine, he would have thrown for 80,000 yards and he's the best pure passer. I've talked to thedude enough the past day or two I don't have the time, energy, or ability to care enough to go down this route.

He would have needed an extra 80 yards a game for his entire career to reach 80000. No rule change would add that many yards

Favre had better defenses though. I would go with your ranking for 1,2,3.. We have to see where Brees and Brady end up as well.

Elway was great....and you can argue that he was a better all-around QB than Marino.

But 'pure passer'? No..

Marion terrorized safeties because he could clear your head no matter how safe yu played it..

And he could strike in front of you before you could close.

Peyton could so that but Peyton played indoors and in an era when you couldnt (unless you played for NE!) clothesline the receivers