Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Oh look, another comment about us piping in noise./Pagano on the noise piping allegations (merge)

Ja'Crispy

I would have said that it's because the majority of the top 10 stadiums in terms of capacity are open it would be partly to do with sheer number of people but seeing as Centurylink isn't up there in capacity it can't be down to this. 

The Clink is architecturally designed as a sound catching funnel that pushes all noise right back down again on to the field, effectively doubling the noise by the way they intentionally designed the acoustics. The building itself is essentially a megaphone for the crowd. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Clink is architecturally designed as a sound catching funnel that pushes all noise right back down again on to the field, effectively doubling the noise by the way they intentionally designed the acoustics. The building itself is essentially a megaphone for the crowd. 

I figured that given most NFL stadiums aren't even 20 years old that some sound engineering might have started to creep into designs, still that's good knowledge right there. Explains a lot, I wonder if future stadiums might take it into consideration more considering how much of an advantage it gives the Seahawks?

I figured that given most NFL stadiums aren't even 20 years old that some sound engineering might have started to creep into designs, still that's good knowledge right there. Explains a lot, I wonder if future stadiums might take it into consideration more considering how much of an advantage it gives the Seahawks?

It depends on the intention. Lucas Oil didn't take such things in to account because it was built as a multipurpose venue to host many types of events, making the focus on football lessened (hence the lesser acoustics of the building). Century Link was designed to only be used by the Seahawks, and therefore got full treatment to have every advantage a football field could have.

I would have said that it's because the majority of the top 10 stadiums in terms of capacity are open it would be partly to do with sheer number of people but seeing as Centurylink isn't up there in capacity it can't be down to this.

So then, how can one of the loudest if not the loudest stadium in the NFL be one the smallest, but still open air?

It depends on the intention. Lucas Oil didn't take such things in to account because it was built as a multipurpose venue to host many types of events, making the focus on football lessened (hence the lesser acoustics of the building). Century Link was designed to only be used by the Seahawks, and therefore got full treatment to have every advantage a football field could have.

Being loud was a big part of the plan but the designers got it wrong they really screwed up somewhere in the design phase . It was suppose to be louder than the previous stadium but as we all know they failed big time with that .

LOS is a hard building to be too loud in. It is almost two times as big as the RCA dome was. 1.8 million square feet vs 92,000 square feet. Big difference. Plus the height of the roof also makes it harder.

I know. Although I've been to them and LOS 3 times. The only game that was really loud was Green Bay during Lucks rookie year and we were down by a ton. It was so dang loud in there. I know the RCA dome would have been louder obviously but it can most definitely get very very loud to affect the other team.

About that seahawks stadium noise, a big part of it is that part of stadium called "the nest", behind one of the endzones..

It's deliberately made out of lightweight metal, and not concrete, so it vibrates and resonates all the noise and stomping..

So you could say the seahawks are also pumping in the noise, just not through speakers..

The extrene noise at c-link has nothing to do with "the greatness of 12th man", just some clever engineering..

how is 1.8 million square feet "almost two times" as much as 92,000 square feet??  :scratch:

Because of the height difference from the top of the roof of the RCA dome to the much higher roof of Lucas oils stadium. Then add the fact when the roof is open the sound will not be as loud. It's not rocket science. The subject was the loudness factor between Lucas and the RCA dome. The floor space in the Rca dome was 92,000 square feet. The floor space in Lucas is 1.8 million square feet. You could virtually sit the RCA dome inside of Lucas thus the comment two times as big.

Because of the height difference from the top of the roof of the RCA dome to the much higher roof of Lucas oils stadium. Then add the fact when the roof is open the sound will not be as loud. It's not rocket science. The subject was the loudness factor between Lucas and the RCA dome. The floor space in the Rca dome was 92,000 square feet. The floor space in Lucas is 1.8 million square feet. You could virtually sit the RCA dome inside of Lucas thus the comment two times as big.

While it might not be rocket science I think his query was more related to math..it's a bit more than twice as big.

I get that los is bigger than rca dome, but you should stop using these exact numbers (1.8 mil and 92.000 square feet) because they are clearlly wrong..