Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why was Steelers WR Antonio Brown's endzone celebration a penalty?

ReMeDy

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2014092807/2014/REG4/buccaneers@steelers#menu=gameinfo|contentId%3A0ap3000000402279&tab=recap
@ 0:33

Am I missing something? He used no props (unless you count spinning the football). He didn't hit the goal post. He didn't smack talk an opponent. He didn't perform a group celebration. If he gets a fine for this, I'm taking a pitchfork over to Roger Goodell's place.

Why is that? For potential to injury? In that case, why doesn't the NFL outlaw players bumping hips in mid-air.

To discourage "inappropriate" celebrations, like sexualized dancing and whatnot. It's pretty stupid, but it's the rule.

Jacob Lacey got flagged and fined for doing a pop slide in the end zone back in 2008. Can't go to the ground as a part of your celebration, unless it's going down on a knee to pray or throw up the cross or whatever.

To discourage "inappropriate" celebrations, like sexualized dancing and whatnot. It's pretty stupid, but it's the rule.

Jacob Lacey got flagged and fined for doing a pop slide in the end zone back in 2008. Can't go to the ground as a part of your celebration, unless it's going down on a knee to pray or throw up the cross or whatever.

OK.....now I REALLY want to see a Flying Spaghetti Monster celebration. Turn this league on it's ear. The NFL hasn't seen controversy until they enter that realm. 

fsmprayer.jpg

Yeah, it's a real thing. "Real" being used with some license here. 

OK.....now I REALLY want to see a Flying Spaghetti Monster celebration. Turn this league on it's ear. The NFL hasn't seen controversy until they enter that realm. 

fsmprayer.jpg

Yeah, it's a real thing. "Real" being used with some license here. 

I typed a response, then deleted it, because I don't want to encourage any kind of religious discussion. But I'll just say that that would be an acceptable celebration, but would probably prompt a flag and fine if you did it on the ground.

I typed a response, then deleted it, because I don't want to encourage any kind of religious discussion. But I'll just say that that would be an acceptable celebration, but would probably prompt a flag and fine if you did it on the ground.

Curious minds want to know. Where's Kyle Turley when we need him? Dude would do it, totally. 

If you feel it best to delete my post, I certainly won't be offended. Was trying to make a comment without "starting" anything. 

What I don't get is it's perfectly legal to remove an opposing player's helmet, as long as it's not within the facemask, yet it's not legal to fall to the ground after a touchdown?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/turns-out-you-can-rip-a-guy-s-helmet-off-without-penalty-220752057.html

And I'm confused by the sexualized dancing you mentioned. You mean like humping the ground? Why not call a penalty when they hump the ground then? Don't give one for simply falling on it.

What I don't get is it's perfectly legal to remove an opposing player's helmet, as long as it's not within the facemask, yet it's not legal to fall to the ground after a touchdown?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/turns-out-you-can-rip-a-guy-s-helmet-off-without-penalty-220752057.html

And I'm confused by the sexualized dancing you mentioned. You mean like humping the ground? Why not call a penalty when they hump the ground then? Don't give one for simply falling on it.

I'm not sure there's any relation between the two scenarios you're talking about.

But I do agree with you, the penalties for going to the ground are stupid. I think this came about when the league cracked down on group celebrations and using props and whatnot, and just tried to cast a wide net to get rid of the ground humping and anything remotely close to it. Lacey's pop slide was fine, IMO. Brown's celebration involved using the ball as a prop, which I don't mind, but to me, that's more of a penalty than going to the ground.

Curious minds want to know. Where's Kyle Turley when we need him? Dude would do it, totally. 

If you feel it best to delete my post, I certainly won't be offended. Was trying to make a comment without "starting" anything. 

Related: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11616422/nfl-says-husain-abdullah-kansas-city-chiefs-penalized-praying-celebration

I've been waiting on this to happen, and as soon as it did, the NFL blew it. I really thought they'd be more aware of the potential for something like this to happen and watch for it. Next up, and mark my words, an FSM/Pastafarian celebration will occur. 

Players were taking celebrations to far.  They had to set limits.  One of the limits they set was you can't go to the ground for a celebration (unless it is a religious act).  Brown went to the ground and was appropriately flagged.