Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New Gm

WoolMagnet

Does anyone have any realistic choices for GM other than either of the Polians?

I'd prefer if this thread doesn't turn into a pro-Polian or Anti-Polian thread. There are PLENTY of them.

Lets pretend BOTH the Polians were "retiring" at the end of this season. Anyone have any SERIOUS ideas.

I can think of coaching choices but I'm lost when it comes to GMs.

Once again, please try not to get into pro or con for Polian. But I guess if you think Chris Polian should continue that is a choice but lets assume Bill is out of the picture totally for whatever reason. Of course if you firmly believe Bill should be part of the equation state that.

I guess I'm just curious to hear some names.

I personally think Chris has done a nice job thus far.

You have no idea what Chris has done or not. I tend to side with the guys that have had success so right now, I'm very anti Chris Polian. I'm referring to the Kravits article where the unnamed sources say he has forced out many key executives and scouts in this organization. We have gotten a lot worse since then, dating back to after 2006 when Chris started moving up the ranks in the front office.

And to answer the question, I guess the only guy that I have heard of is the Packers personnel manager or something like that. He seems to do a good job of building from the draft and acquiring good talent. I don't know his name though. I like Bill Polian though because he has had success and proven himself. Chris has not. I would demote Chris and make him earn his way through the organization and bring back guys like Dom Anile who were vital to this teams success earlier in the decade to help Bill.

You have no idea what Chris has done or not. I tend to side with the guys that have had success so right now, I'm very anti Chris Polian. I'm referring to the Kravits article where the unnamed sources say he has forced out many key executives and scouts in this organization. We have gotten a lot worse since then, dating back to after 2006 when Chris started moving up the ranks in the front office.

And to answer the question, I guess the only guy that I have heard of is the Packers personnel manager or something like that. He seems to do a good job of building from the draft and acquiring good talent. I don't know his name though. I like Bill Polian though because he has had success and proven himself. Chris has not. I would demote Chris and make him earn his way through the organization and bring back guys like Dom Anile who were vital to this teams success earlier in the decade to help Bill.

I'm starting to think this too.

The apple doesn't always fall near the base of the tree.

But who has made these decisions? Bill, Chris, or a combination of the two?

I'd prefer if this thread doesn't turn into a pro-Polian or Anti-Polian thread. There are PLENTY of them.

Lets pretend BOTH the Polians were "retiring" at the end of this season. Anyone have any SERIOUS ideas.

Once again, please try not to get into pro or con for Polian. But I guess if you think Chris Polian should continue that is a choice but lets assume Bill is out of the picture totally for whatever reason. Of course if you firmly believe Bill should be part of the equation state that.

Dang it.....why did you have to go and throw the word "realistic" in there? :D

If I could bring anyone in, should Irsay and the Polian's part ways.... it would be Jimmy Johnson.

Unfortunately.... Johnson is rich, happily retired and likes warm weather.

Dang it.....why did you have to go and throw the word "realistic" in there? :D

If I could bring anyone in, should Irsay and the Polian's part ways.... it would be Jimmy Johnson.

Unfortunately.... Johnson is rich, happily retired and likes warm weather.

The book "Boys will be boys" about the mid 90's Cowboys under Johnson clearly and convincingly documents that Johnson is a person of the lowest ethics and moral character, read it and then tell me you still want Johnson. He is a dishonest, lying, win at any coast coach.

The book "Boys will be boys" about the mid 90's Cowboys under Johnson clearly and convincingly documents that Johnson is a person of the lowest ethics and moral character, read it and then tell me you still want Johnson. He is a dishonest, lying, win at any coast coach.

LOL.... thats pretty fair but the OP said New GM, not coach.

And author Jeff Pearlman has some issues of his own as well. He's utterly incapable of writing a book that doesn't dig into people's personal lives and then level personal attacks on them.... and I guess his latest target is Walter Payton.

But enough about that pencil-neck geek.

Jimmy Johnson was terrific on Draft Day at spotting and fitting talent into a team with balance on offense AND overall team balance.

Belichick and Polian aren't exactly the embodiment of kind benevolence either.

I'm starting to think this too.

The apple doesn't always fall near the base of the tree.

But who has made these decisions? Bill, Chris, or a combination of the two?

I'm thinking that Chris Polian is the one forcing out all of these former guys like Tom Moore and Dom Anile. Remember, Bill Polian has worked with all of these guys for a long time now, so I find it hard to believe that he is the one that is forcing them out of the organization. Bill hired all the scouts and talented executives that made this front office great, so why would he all of a sudden get rid of them? That doesn't make sense and is the reason why I am blaming it on Chris.

It's his first year, and he made a bunch of signings in the offseason. Really, that's all we've seen from him, and I like what he did in the offseason, that's all.

I would look for candidates from successful operations who are looking to build championship teams. For instance I would look at Rob Davis, Packers Director of Player Development or Mike Eayrs, Packers Director of Research & Development - both come from a successful organization and were key to the Packers acquiring a great pool of talent. I would also look at the Falcons Dir of Player admin Nick Polk or Brandon Hunt - Pittsburgh's Pro Personnel Coordinator.

I'm sure they are many other worthy candidates to choose from but I believe we could win championships with either of the four mentioned above.

Thats yet to happen.

I understand but you have to be patient! I'm sure if we get to 0-14 Bill will pull the starters to make sure it happens so Chris will share the record with Matt Millen. I just hope Caldwell goes along with the plan as well as he did a couple of years ago. I'm sure he will because he is a good company man.

Caladdai still believes we can turn this thing around.Don't Stop Believin"! Maybe we can screw up the

number 1 pick,too! Next year we"ll be able to watch Caldwell on CBS tell us his analysis of each game.

Something like , "Well I'm not sure what just happened there but let me call Dungy."

Caladdai still believes we can turn this thing around.Don't Stop Believin"! Maybe we can screw up the

number 1 pick,too! Next year we"ll be able to watch Caldwell on CBS tell us his analysis of each game.

Something like , "Well I'm not sure what just happened there but let me call Dungy."

dude when the f*** did i say we can turn this around? all i said "thats yet to happen". Cuz we're not 0-16 yet....................... :facepalm:

GM isn't the problem other than having a GM that can draft good players AND good coaches. The Colts haven't had good head coach for years. Along with many mistakes made by the coaching staff the one that stands out the most to me is....why would a 0-10 team EVER kick a field goal or for that matter punt? Only two reasons to kick one to win the game at the end of regulation and two in over time. I guess only losing by 8 is better than losing by 12. OH wait no it's not.

Thats yet to happen.
You give up way too soon. I am absolutely positive they can do this if they really put effort into the task at hand. They have to keep looking to their coach/leader to see the big picture. I am 100% sure Caldwell can do this! Polian believes in him and so do I.

You give up way too soon. I am absolutely positive they can do this if they really put effort into the task at hand. They have to keep looking to their coach/leader to see the big picture. I am 100% sure Caldwell can do this! Polian believes in him and so do I.

What are you talking about? What am i giving up on? Im not seeing your point here bro...

don't care a s@@t about his moral makeup,this isn't boy scouts its football.He wins,I could care less about anything else.You can have your choir boy losers.

I really have have no suggestions. I, personally, think it would be a mistake to get rid of the Polians. But if I were to pretend they were retiring, I really don't know. Good GMs might be as rare as franchise QBs. You can't just find them laying around. Often times raid a successful team like NE for assistant GMs. But its hard to tell if that person really has the ability or in just a good situation. I wouldn't want to make that call. I would want someone with a proven winning track record.

I personally think Chris has done a nice job thus far.

I agree with this, ignoring the fact that the colts released tommie harris what chirs polian has done so far has been pretty good... i cannot wait to see what he does the next offseason and see how he handles the whole peyton situation

To the guys who are talking about him being the one who's responsible for this terrible season... it's not his fault, it's his first season as a GM and he lost his star player, the star player that his father and friends built their offense around. It's not his fault we're so bad, it's many other things.

To the guys who are talking about him being the one who's responsible for this terrible season... it's not his fault, it's his first season as a GM and he lost his star player, the star player that his father and friends built their offense around. It's not his fault we're so bad, it's many other things.

I'm perfectly willing to see how young Polian does over 2-3 years.... this season included.

I can't say I'm crazy about the skulduggery Kravitz attributed to Chris in one of his articles....IF, I repeat IF it was true. Because turmoil in the front office can absolutely wreck a franchise from the top down.

But what's done is done.

He addressed the O-line and D-line in a serious fashion last Draft Day and we'll see if he nailed the talent level well enough after Castonzo, Ijalana and Nevis play a full season with training camp and without such a colossal mess like what we have now.