Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rob Chudzinski

Dark Superman

I don't think it's going to happen. I think we're going to stick with pep for the forseeable future. 

We really don't need Luck to be in 3 systems in 4 years. 

Sad to say pep's job is likely safe until at least the end of NEXT season, unless Irsay pulls the plug.

I don't see it. All we can do is hope he finally figures out what the hell he's doing.

I, in the meantime, will be over here beating this dead horse.

Who did he call plays fir? David Shaw called plays @ Stanford. Pep Hamilton has never been the primary play caller. Prove me wrong

I don't have to prove you wrong.    You're wrong.

Pep was the primary play caller at Stanford.    Shaw has input.    Shaw can overrule if he likes.

Same holds true today.    Bloomgren is the play caller.     Shaw has input and can over-rule.

I'll put it another way to see if this registers to you.....    there's no way Shaw would give Pep a recommendation to the Colts if he wasn't the play caller.     If Shaw thought that Pep wasn't up to the job,  he wouldn't have signed off.    And there's no doubt in my mind,  that Grigson would talk to Shaw and verify that Pep was up to the task.    Shaw wouldn't do something that would hurt Stanford's best NFL talent,  Andrew Luck.    And Shaw wouldn't hurt his reputation with the NFL.

Now....   do, I think that Pep is a good play caller?    No,  I regret to say I don't.    Do I think he's a good OC?     After last night,  no, I regret to say I don't. 

I don't think he's terrible.    But I don't think he's up to what the Colts need right now.

I said before the season started,  I thought Pep would get one more year to prove himself.    So, he gets these 16 games and the playoffs.     And if he doesn't deliver,  I think Pep will be out of a job after this year.

Now......   whether or not you choose to accept all that I've told you is completely up to you......   but logic and common sense alone should tell you I'm right......  

I don't have to prove you wrong.    You're wrong.

Pep was the primary play caller at Stanford.    Shaw has input.    Shaw can overrule if he likes.

Same holds true today.    Bloomgren is the play caller.     Shaw has input and can over-rule.

I'll put it another way to see if this registers to you.....    there's no way Shaw would give Pep a recommendation to the Colts if he wasn't the play caller.     If Shaw thought that Pep wasn't up to the job,  he wouldn't have signed off.    And there's no doubt in my mind,  that Grigson would talk to Shaw and verify that Pep was up to the task.    Shaw wouldn't do something that would hurt Stanford's best NFL talent,  Andrew Luck.    And Shaw wouldn't hurt his reputation with the NFL.

Now....   do, I think that Pep is a good play caller?    No,  I regret to say I don't.    Do I think he's a good OC?     After last night,  no, I regret to say I don't. 

I don't think he's terrible.    But I don't think he's up to what the Colts need right now.

I said before the season started,  I thought Pep would get one more year to prove himself.    So, he gets these 16 games and the playoffs.     And if he doesn't deliver,  I think Pep will be out of a job after this year.

Now......   whether or not you choose to accept all that I've told you is completely up to you......   but logic and common sense alone should tell you I'm right......

I was kinda excited when Pep was hired, but was worried when the resident Stanford fan was lukewarm on the hire. Seems your worries were well founded.

I was kinda excited when Pep was hired, but was worried when the resident Stanford fan was lukewarm on the hire. Seems your worries were well founded.

Thanks.    And I appreciate that you noticed.

I tried not to shout it too loudly....   I wanted to cut Pep a lot of slack.   I wanted to be wrong about Pep.    And I still would like to be wrong about him.

But last night was very disappointing on a lot of levels.

But, the running game was not one of them.    We out-rushed the NFL's #1 ground gaining team by about 40-50 yards.   That's no small achievement.   But the last run was terrible.    The 2nd and 4 run was the perfect time for play-action.    On those 3 downs, we had to give Luck two passes.    If you're going down,  you're going down with Andrew Luck,  not Trent Richardson (who I have defended)

But where Pep lost me was his inability to generate any type of passing game through-out the whole night.    We threw over and over to TYH, Reggie Wayne and Ahmad Bradshaw.      We had few or no targets to Allen,  Fleener,  Hicks,  Moncrief,  Rogers and Trent who can catch and make guys miss in space.    I mean,  how many weapons are you not going to use??      And the guys who are making catches are almost always tightly covered.    Pep doesn't seem to know how to draw up plays where a receiver can get free.   Heck,  even our bubble screens seem well covered?!    What's up with that?!?

This is what worries me.   Pep now has weapons,  and doesn't know how to use them properly.

Our offense does not look well coordinated.    And our offense looks well scouted.    We rarely look like we catch defenses off guard.     

Last night was a head scratcher.      Very disappointing.

I don't have to prove you wrong. You're wrong.

Pep was the primary play caller at Stanford. Shaw has input. Shaw can overrule if he likes.

Same holds true today. Bloomgren is the play caller. Shaw has input and can over-rule.

I'll put it another way to see if this registers to you..... there's no way Shaw would give Pep a recommendation to the Colts if he wasn't the play caller. If Shaw thought that Pep wasn't up to the job, he wouldn't have signed off. And there's no doubt in my mind, that Grigson would talk to Shaw and verify that Pep was up to the task. Shaw wouldn't do something that would hurt Stanford's best NFL talent, Andrew Luck. And Shaw wouldn't hurt his reputation with the NFL.

Now.... do, I think that Pep is a good play caller? No, I regret to say I don't. Do I think he's a good OC? After last night, no, I regret to say I don't.

I don't think he's terrible. But I don't think he's up to what the Colts need right now.

I said before the season started, I thought Pep would get one more year to prove himself. So, he gets these 16 games and the playoffs. And if he doesn't deliver, I think Pep will be out of a job after this year.

Now...... whether or not you choose to accept all that I've told you is completely up to you...... but logic and common sense alone should tell you I'm right......

http://blog.sfgate.com/stanfordsports/2012/01/03/stanford-football-on-shaws-play-calling-before-the-big-miss/

http://coltsauthority.com/2013-articles/colts-hire-stanford-s-pep-hamilton-as-offensive-coordinator.html

When Luck was there, Shaw called the majority of plays. I dont know or care what Pep did after that yr. There is an article where Shaw talked about the process. I followed Stanford during Luck's redshirt Soph and Jr seasons.

http://blog.sfgate.com/stanfordsports/2012/01/03/stanford-football-on-shaws-play-calling-before-the-big-miss/

http://coltsauthority.com/2013-articles/colts-hire-stanford-s-pep-hamilton-as-offensive-coordinator.html

When Luck was there, Shaw called the majority of plays. I dont know or care what Pep did after that yr. There is an article where Shaw talked about the process. I followed Stanford during Luck's redshirt Soph and Jr seasons.

I think Colts Authority is wrong.   And they don't site anyone for their view.

And I don't think the story on SFGate says what you think it says.   It's Shaw explaining what happened at the end of the Fiesta Bowl.     Shaw doesn't say he made the calls.   And he doesn't say Hamilton made the calls.   Whatever calls were made were approved by Shaw.    He takes responsibility for them.    He's not giving an interview where it looks like he's throwing his OC under the bus.     That's Shaw's way.

And I think anything else is a mis-read.

You're free to think otherwise.....

I don't know much about the guy in all honesty, but my one friend says he's a very solid offensive coordinator.

I liked how he utilized Cameron in Cleveland last year as well. Do you guys think if he was to become our OC, that it would benefit our chances to let Luck loose?

There was no need to let Luck loose any more than we did last night.

We had a great game plan, and it worked. We moved the ball effectively, killed the clock, and did a pretty good job keeping it away from the Eagles' D. We also put 27 points on the board, which should be plenty.

Unfortunately, we had a fumble by TRich that led to 7 points for Philly and Luck threw an INT in their redzone -- had it not been for those 2 plays (not a part of game planning, but player and ref error). 

Perhaps my favorite attribute about Luck is that he doesn't care if he puts up huge numbers or not, as long as we win.  Unfortunately, we lost due to 2 costly mistakes, but our game plan worked very well and we should have won that game -- there was no need for Luck to be let loose any more than he was last night. Some weeks, there will be, and we'll see Luck throw for over 300 yards, other weeks we'll need to establish our run game and Luck might throw for 172 yards -- so long as we stop our turnovers and win the game, it shouldn't matter what his yardage looks like.