Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tommy Kelly asked to be released from the Patriots

chad72

No, no, and no thank you to Wade Phillips or Marvin Lewis! 

You need to have a little faith here. It was one game. The Patriots never play all that well in Miami and this year was no exception. Give it a couple more weeks... the pieces are all there, it's just a matter of finding the ones that work best together. 

I forgot the linebackers name, I think Bart Scott or something, recently just said that every year when the schedules came out they would immediately look for September games in Jacksonville, Miami and Tampa because the heat and humidity is gruesome and really tough on you.

Its very possible that the Pats weren't as conditioned as the Phins in that game.. they played a pretty great first half of football, Brady had 2 very long, sustained drives that lead to touchdowns and took up like 6-7 minutes of game clock.. one was for 95 yards.

the second half is when the wheels started falling off and they were just getting dominated in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

Its one game, in week ONE of the season.  Certainly not something you want to see happen and doesnt make you feel good, but you can't lose perspective either.  This isn't the first time they've lost to Miami in Miami, and it wont be the last.. thats divisional football.

theres still a long season ahead, so counting out the Pats now would be foolish

I forgot the linebackers name, I think Bart Scott or something, recently just said that every year when the schedules came out they would immediately look for September games in Jacksonville, Miami and Tampa because the heat and humidity is gruesome and really tough on you.

Its very possible that the Pats weren't as conditioned as the Phins in that game.. they played a pretty great first half of football, Brady had 2 very long, sustained drives that lead to touchdowns and took up like 6-7 minutes of game clock.. one was for 95 yards.

the second half is when the wheels started falling off and they were just getting dominated in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

Its one game, in week ONE of the season.  Certainly not something you want to see happen and doesnt make you feel good, but you can't lose perspective either.  This isn't the first time they've lost to Miami in Miami, and it wont be the last.. thats divisional football.

theres still a long season ahead, so counting out the Pats now would be foolish

Good post, I'm with you. 

If this had happened in week 4, and the Patriots were 3-1 coming out of it, we'd all be a lot more at ease. I think it's just the timing of it and the fact that they started off what is supposed to be a promising season on a bad foot. (Belichick just benched me for making a foot joke, BTW.) Plus they had protection problems, so people are freaking out about the Mankins trade and Dante Scarnecchia not being around to right the ship. 

I expect them to struggle again a bit against the Vikings but it should be a more competitive second half. Brady was at times his surgical self in the first half of the Miami game. We're not talking about 60 minutes of ineptitude here. They played a very poor second half, on both sides of the ball. 

Lots of football left to play. It feels a lot like the 31-0 blowout that started the '03 season. 

Good post, I'm with you. 

If this had happened in week 4, and the Patriots were 3-1 coming out of it, we'd all be a lot more at ease. I think it's just the timing of it and the fact that they started off what is supposed to be a promising season on a bad foot. (Belichick just benched me for making a foot joke, BTW.) Plus they had protection problems, so people are freaking out about the Mankins trade and Dante Scarnecchia not being around to right the ship. 

I expect them to struggle again a bit against the Vikings but it should be a more competitive second half. Brady was at times his surgical self in the first half of the Miami game. We're not talking about 60 minutes of ineptitude here. They played a very poor second half, on both sides of the ball. 

Lots of football left to play. It feels a lot like the 31-0 blowout that started the '03 season. 

Your on a website where a majority of people can't put into perspective what they saw and constantly live in a very knee jerk reaction. A ton of it has to do with the media brainwashing people into believing this stuff. They see it on ESPN, NFL NETWORK, CBS, FOX, NBC just everywhere with sensationalism journalism etc and they repeat what they hear instead of process it for themselves and make their own sound judgement of the facts. Also some people on this board WANT the Patriots to be bad obviously for their own gain so there is that too. Fact was it was a bad half of football...until we've seen a lot more we can't say definatively there is a problem or if it was a case of not executing. Broncos played a bad half, we did, Philly, NE, BAL, a lot of teams did. From what I saw SEA and Detroit put together the best performances consistantly the whole game but that doesn't mean they don't have any weaknesses etc. Miami in Miami is a tough game...for anyone...and especially for your team looking at the past. Some teams just matchup well against each other...like Baltimore did against you guys or like you guys always owned Pittsburgh...most level-headed posters realize it was one game...a poorly played half with poor pass protection and execution. Not unexpected in week 1...and likely to change. However, if it was to continue then it would a legit concern.

Also some people on this board WANT the Patriots to be bad obviously for their own gain so there is that too....

Oh it's not just THIS board, believe me!  ;)

I get it though. I'm a Sox fan as well... the Patriots have, in some ways, become the Yankees of football. 

Oh it's not just THIS board, believe me!  ;)

I get it though. I'm a Sox fan as well... the Patriots have, in some ways, become the Yankees of football. 

I wouldn't go THAT far....they don't have unlimited funds and buy up all the good players. They are more the Cardinals of baseball. Well run organization that plans for the future...doesn't overpay for stars...finds guys that fit their team and usually very well coached and always there in October. Nobody likes the Yankees because they buy up everyones free agents and drive up the market so small markets can't compete for their stars. That said the Yankees usually overpay for aging stars and get little out of them. Yes they are always usually there in October though. Perhaps the only thing that reminds me of the Yankees is the comparison of Jeter to Tom...both HOF stars with incredibly successful careers full of championships and biggest moments on the biggest stages...both play their best in the playoffs...elder statesman of the game...and begrudingly yes good looking guys that date/marry models lol.

People don't like the Pats because they are GOOD...get a lot of publicity...have one of the best qbs in the history of the game...and never seem to have a bad year. Jealousy is very prevelant in social media lol. But overall you have a very well run organization with great leaders on the field, sideline, and up stairs. I can't hate that....I respect it...but it makes beating it very special..like you really accomplished something.

I wouldn't go THAT far....they don't have unlimited funds and buy up all the good players. They are more the Cardinals of baseball. Well run organization that plans for the future...doesn't overpay for stars...finds guys that fit their team and usually very well coached and always there in October. Nobody likes the Yankees because they buy up everyones free agents and drive up the market so small markets can't compete for their stars. That said the Yankees usually overpay for aging stars and get little out of them. Yes they are always usually there in October though. Perhaps the only thing that reminds me of the Yankees is the comparison of Jeter to Tom...both HOF stars with incredibly successful careers full of championships and biggest moments on the biggest stages...both play their best in the playoffs...elder statesman of the game...and begrudingly yes good looking guys that date/marry models lol.

People don't like the Pats because they are GOOD...get a lot of publicity...have one of the best qbs in the history of the game...and never seem to have a bad year. Jealousy is very prevelant in social media lol. But overall you have a very well run organization with great leaders on the field, sideline, and up stairs. I can't hate that....I respect it...but it makes beating it very special..like you really accomplished something.

Good point, a league with a salary cap can't truly compare to a league without one. 

I wonder, had the Internet been around for the masses back in the 80s and 90s, how the general public would have felt about the 49ers and the teams that would compare to the modern-day Pats. 

Good point, a league with a salary cap can't truly compare to a league without one. 

I wonder, had the Internet been around for the masses back in the 80s and 90s, how the general public would have felt about the 49ers and the teams that would compare to the modern-day Pats. 

It probably would have been pretty bad...imagine the qb controversy in SF with Montana and Young...imagine the blow up over letting Jimmy Johnson go. Imagine Deion's partying and sideline dancing and how people blew up. I really think the cap HELPED football a lot...it leveled the playing field to some degree and helped instill some parity in the league....thus IMO helping grow the game with fans. It caused fans to start being more regional instead of all west coast teams rooting for the 49ers and midwest all Cowboy fans etc etc. There have been many other things that have helped...I would say the improvement of passing and quarterback play as well...so rule changes...but I never feel its a good thing to just have 1 or 2 dominant franchises. Great for those fans but I think you grow a sport when all teams feel like they have a shot going into the season. I can't imagine how bad things would have been looking back in time if they had social media. Thinking of Ali and how he would have been torn apart...political events etc...we just leave in a great tecnological age but its unfortunately been hijacked and used for such terrible purposes its awful. The amonimity breeds the worst in a lot of people. Allows them to say things they know they could never get away with otherwise. I'm glad for the most part the great way this forum is moderated. I have a lot of respect for the moderators. I've been on some that was so foul or poorly managed it was impossible to have an intelligent conversation. Big ups to those running things here. I may find laughable posts, many I disagree with, but things are controlled and managed quite well.

It probably would have been pretty bad...imagine the qb controversy in SF with Montana and Young...imagine the blow up over letting Jimmy Johnson go. Imagine Deion's partying and sideline dancing and how people blew up. I really think the cap HELPED football a lot...it leveled the playing field to some degree and helped instill some parity in the league....thus IMO helping grow the game with fans. It caused fans to start being more regional instead of all west coast teams rooting for the 49ers and midwest all Cowboy fans etc etc. There have been many other things that have helped...I would say the improvement of passing and quarterback play as well...so rule changes...but I never feel its a good thing to just have 1 or 2 dominant franchises. Great for those fans but I think you grow a sport when all teams feel like they have a shot going into the season. I can't imagine how bad things would have been looking back in time if they had social media. Thinking of Ali and how he would have been torn apart...political events etc...we just leave in a great tecnological age but its unfortunately been hijacked and used for such terrible purposes its awful. The amonimity breeds the worst in a lot of people. Allows them to say things they know they could never get away with otherwise. I'm glad for the most part the great way this forum is moderated. I have a lot of respect for the moderators. I've been on some that was so foul or poorly managed it was impossible to have an intelligent conversation. Big ups to those running things here. I may find laughable posts, many I disagree with, but things are controlled and managed quite well.

Which teams do you cheer for in sports?

I'm a Boston sports fan.

I think this is the beginning of the end of the Brady era in NE for a couple of reasons.

1.)  He's 37 and declining.

2.)  Pats look like they got a good replacement in Garoppolo.

3.)  The Pats' organization needs some soul searching to be a super bowl winner or they'll continue to go 12-4 and lose in the play offs every year.

4.)  Belichick's philosophy and ways I think are a hindrance now.  He doesn't know how to build a good defense or draft good consistently.  There's been more busts under Belichick than great players drafted.

5.)  The AFC East is getting better and more competitive and the Pats can't rest on relying on others in the division to lose to benefit themselves.

I'm a Boston sports fan.

I think this is the beginning of the end of the Brady era in NE for a couple of reasons.

3.)  The Pats' organization needs some soul searching to be a super bowl winner or they'll continue to go 12-4 and lose in the play offs every year.

4.)  Belichick's philosophy and ways I think are a hindrance now.  He doesn't know how to build a good defense or draft good consistently.  There's been more busts under Belichick than great players drafted.

5.)  The AFC East is getting better and more competitive and the Pats can't rest on relying on others in the division to lose to benefit themselves.

I completely disagree with point 4. What evidence do you have to make that statement? He took a young and injured team last year to the AFCCG. One of his finest coaching jobs and his drafts the last few years have had more hits than misses. Who do you want as GM and/or coach if not Belichick?

I'm a Boston sports fan.

Well the first part of your question is easy...the rest I think make a lot of assumptions that I think are pretty false.

I'm a Colts, Pacers, Cubs, IU/ND fan. I grew up about 30mins west of Bloomington and thus very regionally biased lol. I do root for certain players in sports. I root for guys I respect for various reasons etc. Like I root for the Spurs sometimes because of David Robinson/Tim Duncan...I would root for the Celtics because of Larry Bird when he played....Broncos because of Peyton. I rooted for Florida because of Tim Tebow. Arizona because of Kurt Warner....I kinda take on cheering for certain guys and as long as they aren't playing my home town team I cheer for them...want to see them do well. Most of all I really just like good sports...well played. If someone plays the game the right way etc I really enjoy a good ball game (any sport).

Second part I think is based on some terrible assumptions.

1. I don't think he is declining that fast. I also don't think a SB is based on having the best QB in football. We see many lesser qbs win all the time...why can't one of the best all time win even if he is playing at a lower level. If you think the 2014 Tom is inferior to the 2001-04 Tom I think your sadly mistaken.

2. They do....but Tom is signed for the next 3 years reasonably....Jimmy isn't going to be a better player then Tom anytime soon. At the end of that contract I think they look hard and deep into that...but not now...and not while Bill is still coach.

3. I think they do that every offseason. They clearly reloaded this year in the secondary and looked at where this team is headed...and made some very tough decisions as they ALWAYS do. Door is closing but they have a great team that can win now...but yet won't hinder them from making moves that will allow them to move into the next generation of Patriots football. And you think that Jimmy could take them from a 12 win team and playoffs to SB better than Tom? I doubt it. We all know its about getting hot/healthy at the right time of year. I KNOW Tom can make a run in the playoffs...I've seen it 5 TIMES...he can do it again....I like Jimmy...but nothing tells me he will do that.

4. I think Belichek is the same great coach he was before. He did inherit a great football team from Bill Parcells there is no doubt about it....that said he took those players to the next level and really got the most out of them. You win games by scoring more than the other team....thats a fact...now how you do that is open to discussion. Typically you can outscore most opponents on your way to winning a division or making the playoffs but once in the postseason defenses are typically so good that it becomes difficult to outscore teams...and thus a high powered offense usually comes down to earth. I believe he doesn't have the right personel to do what he likes but he has some products of it now...I think you will see improvement later in the year. He still has it...he can do it...if the players stay healthy I think he turns that defense into a top 5 one...but I agree the past few years he had not shot.

5. Mehh..they haven't made a transition like the NFC West...and no team other than you guys have a pro bowl qb to lead them...a hof coach..or a top 5 defense. I think you guys are coming back to the pack more than they are moving up. Honestly...does any of those teams REALLY scare you? You see Ryan Tannihill becoming a perinial pro bowler....that organization getting things running straight?? The Bills with Manual becoming a playoff team?? The Jets??? I like Ryan...he has heart and spunk but still his qb is far from elite or ever being there...and that offense still looks a mess. I think you guys are fine...and will be in good hands even when Brady is gone....which isn't happening until at LEAST after his contract is up. Remember come December if you think Brady is in decline...I bet you change your tune. I think like Peyton he has a lot more left in the tank than you think....especially up top...because even if your physical skills are declining if your brain isn't...these guys can still be elite.

I'm a Boston sports fan.

I am a Colts fans but perhaps you did not see the irony in your post. In point 2 you say the Pats got a good replacement for Brady in Garoppolo and then in point 4 you say Bill does not draft well.  ;)

And you do realize going 12-4 puts you in position to win the Super Bowl? Not sure they really need to change anything. They almost won the Super Bowl just a couple of years ago. 

Some Pats fans I have to say amaze me with the lofty expectations. Try being a Giants or Steelers fan right now. Going to three straight conference championship games and a Super Bowl is just fine. No need to change anything major least of all the GM/coach.

Well the first part of your question is easy...the rest I think make a lot of assumptions that I think are pretty false.

I'm a Colts, Pacers, Cubs, IU/ND fan. I grew up about 30mins west of Bloomington and thus very regionally biased lol. I do root for certain players in sports. I root for guys I respect for various reasons etc. Like I root for the Spurs sometimes because of David Robinson/Tim Duncan...I would root for the Celtics because of Larry Bird when he played....Broncos because of Peyton. I rooted for Florida because of Tim Tebow. Arizona because of Kurt Warner....I kinda take on cheering for certain guys and as long as they aren't playing my home town team I cheer for them...want to see them do well. Most of all I really just like good sports...well played. If someone plays the game the right way etc I really enjoy a good ball game (any sport).

Second part I think is based on some terrible assumptions.

1. I don't think he is declining that fast. I also don't think a SB is based on having the best QB in football. We see many lesser qbs win all the time...why can't one of the best all time win even if he is playing at a lower level. If you think the 2014 Tom is inferior to the 2001-04 Tom I think your sadly mistaken.

2. They do....but Tom is signed for the next 3 years reasonably....Jimmy isn't going to be a better player then Tom anytime soon. At the end of that contract I think they look hard and deep into that...but not now...and not while Bill is still coach.

3. I think they do that every offseason. They clearly reloaded this year in the secondary and looked at where this team is headed...and made some very tough decisions as they ALWAYS do. Door is closing but they have a great team that can win now...but yet won't hinder them from making moves that will allow them to move into the next generation of Patriots football.

4. I think Belichek is the same great coach he was before. He did inherit a great football team from Bill Parcells there is no doubt about it....that said he took those players to the next level and really got the most out of them. You win games by scoring more than the other team....thats a fact...now how you do that is open to discussion. Typically you can outscore most opponents on your way to winning a division or making the playoffs but once in the postseason defenses are typically so good that it becomes difficult to outscore teams...and thus a high powered offense usually comes down to earth. I believe he doesn't have the right personel to do what he likes but he has some products of it now...I think you will see improvement later in the year. He still has it...he can do it...if the players stay healthy I think he turns that defense into a top 5 one...but I agree the past few years he had not shot.

5. Mehh..they haven't made a transition like the NFC West...and no team other than you guys have a pro bowl qb to lead them...a hof coach..or a top 5 defense. I think you guys are coming back to the pack more than they are moving up. Honestly...does any of those teams REALLY scare you? You see Ryan Tannihill becoming a perinial pro bowler....that organization getting things running straight?? The Bills with Manual becoming a playoff team?? The Jets??? I like Ryan...he has heart and spunk but still his qb is far from elite or ever being there...and that offense still looks a mess. I think you guys are fine...and will be in good hands even when Brady is gone....which isn't happening until at LEAST after his contract is up. Remember come December if you think Brady is in decline...I bet you change your tune. I think like Peyton he has a lot more left in the tank than you think....especially up top...because even if your physical skills are declining if your brain isn't...these guys can still be elite.

"3. I think they do that every offseason. They clearly reloaded this year in the secondary and looked at where this team is headed...and made some very tough decisions as they ALWAYS do. Door is closing but they have a great team that can win now...but yet won't hinder them from making moves that will allow them to move into the next generation of Patriots football."

I disagree.  If the Pats' defense continues to struggle and they don't use Revis properly that's clearly bad coaching and the fault of Belichick and the defensive coordinator if you can call him that.  The Pats haven't had a real legit defensive coordinator since Romeo Crennel.  The Pats haven't had a really good defense since around 2004-05, going on 10 years now.

"4. I think Belichek is the same great coach he was before. He did inherit a great football team from Bill Parcells there is no doubt about it....that said he took those players to the next level and really got the most out of them. You win games by scoring more than the other team....thats a fact...now how you do that is open to discussion. "

I don't believe Belichick is the same great Pats' coach he was from 2000 to 2006.  Ever since the Spy Gate scandal at the beginning of the 2007 season he's become more grumpy, detached, isolated and paranoid of the press and making his players become more isolated from the press suppressing their emotions and not letting them express themselves.  Belichick was always a shy introvert who wasn't fond of interviews but it has gotten worse over the years.  Belichick doesn't allow his players to emotionally express themselves like Pete Carol and John Harbaugh does.  Players are scared to speak to the media for fear of being punished.  Football is an emotional game and the players shouldn't be emotionless robots.  And the Pats often get beat by the more physical emotional teams like the Giants and Ravens. 

"5. Mehh..they haven't made a transition like the NFC West...and no team other than you guys have a pro bowl qb to lead them...a hof coach..or a top "

We'll see.  I think the AFC East this season will be one of the best divisions in the NFL, better than the NFC East and AFC South.  The AFC West?  As of now they're best team is the Broncos.  We can't count on the Chargers or Chiefs yet.  And it doesn't take a HOF QB to beat the Pats as Eli Manning, Joe Flacco, Mark Sanchez and Ryan Tannehill proved.

Brady will be gone not when his contract is up but when Belichick feels it's time for him to go.  Former Patriots players in the local media here have said that.

I am a Colts fans but perhaps you did not see the irony in your post. In point 2 you say the Pats got a good replacement for Brady in Garoppolo and then in point 4 you say Bill does not draft well.  ;)

And you do realize going 12-4 puts you in position to win the Super Bowl? Not sure they really need to change anything. They almost won the Super Bowl just a couple of years ago. 

Some Pats fans I have to say amaze me with the lofty expectations. Try being a Giants or Steelers fan right now. Going to three straight conference championship games and a Super Bowl is just fine. No need to change anything major least of all the GM/coach.

I said Belichick doesn't know how to draft consistently good.  Which means there are more bad picks than good.  I never said all his picks were bad or busts.

Going 12-4 every year and losing in the post season hurts more than being a bad team and not making the playoffs.  It's basically teasing you every year setting you up for a major high and losing which is bigger let down.

Many Pats fans including me would rather be like the Giants where they won 2 super bowls since 2007 and every few years have a bad year or two missing the playoffs and then go on a super bowl run, sort of like what the Red Sox do in baseball.

I said Belichick doesn't know how to draft consistently good.  Which means there are more bad picks than good.  I never said all his picks were bad or busts.

Going 12-4 every year and losing in the post season hurts more than being a bad team and not making the playoffs.  It's basically teasing you every year setting you up for a major high and losing which is bigger let down.

Many Pats fans including me would rather be like the Giants where they won 2 super bowls since 2007 and every few years have a bad year or two missing the playoffs and then go on a super bowl run, sort of like what the Red Sox do in baseball.

But that have not drafted poorly. Look at your draft class the last few years and you see more hits than misses. Your slot guy to replace Welker was a 7th round QB. Bill always seems to find guys like this. Not to mention the undrafted FAs.

You would rather be the Giants? Really? Eli has not won a playoff game outside of his championship runs and the Giants have only been to the post-season one other time outside of their champ years since 2007. I get what you are saying about wanting rings but did you forget 01,03, 04 so soon?

The Giants have been abysmal going on three years now ... no thank you.

Uhhh I don't think I can reason with you. Anyone that says going 12-4 and losing in the playoffs hurts more than being bad clearly is not someone I can relate to. Please let me know after your first year going 2-14 feels when it happens...it feels terrible...you watch crappy quality football and you just want to turn the tv off...its not pretty and YOU DON'T WANT IT....trust me I think your just a bit spoiled. I would never give up our 2000s for the Giants...even though they won 2 championships. I enjoy the process...I'm not obsessed at winning championships....a great season doesn't have to end up with a SB....if I got to saw great football all year...exciting games...and just having that excitement and chance to be there in the end year after year...thats enough for me. Of course winning it all is just the icing on the cake....but I don't like icing by itself...who wants to be the Florida Marlins...win...break it down...win again in 10 yrs. I like success....and to me it doesn't have to be measured in the ultimate prize...thats so hard to obtain...so I guess I like my cake...with just a bit of icing! lol

Uhhh I don't think I can reason with you. Anyone that says going 12-4 and losing in the playoffs hurts more than being bad clearly is not someone I can relate to. Please let me know after your first year going 2-14 feels when it happens...it feels terrible...you watch crappy quality football and you just want to turn the tv off...its not pretty and YOU DON'T WANT IT....trust me I think your just a bit spoiled. I would never give up our 2000s for the Giants...even though they won 2 championships. I enjoy the process...I'm not obsessed at winning championships....a great season doesn't have to end up with a SB....if I got to saw great football all year...exciting games...and just having that excitement and chance to be there in the end year after year...thats enough for me. Of course winning it all is just the icing on the cake....but I don't like icing by itself...who wants to be the Florida Marlins...win...break it down...win again in 10 yrs. I like success....and to me it doesn't have to be measured in the ultimate prize...thats so hard to obtain...so I guess I like my cake...with just a bit of icing! lol

I like winning championships every couple years like the Giants, St Cardinals and Red Sox, not the Marlins.

And the Patriots aren't going to win any championship if they can't protect the QB and can't establish a pass rush.

And going 12-4 every year and losing in the post season and being happy with that means you're happy being a loser.  It's called "choking".

Red Sox absolutely stink this season, who cares?  They won the World Series last season and have shown they'll be back in it again next season or in 2 years.  I'm willing to live through a horrible season or two to regroup.  "Some" Pats fans prefer floundering and yes I said floundering every year with a team that isn't built for the post season with the false sense of hope that a 12-4 regular season record is great.

But that have not drafted poorly. Look at your draft class the last few years and you see more hits than misses. Your slot guy to replace Welker was a 7th round QB. Bill always seems to find guys like this. Not to mention the undrafted FAs.

You would rather be the Giants? Really? Eli has not won a playoff game outside of his championship runs and the Giants have only been to the post-season one other time outside of their champ years since 2007. I get what you are saying about wanting rings but did you forget 01,03, 04 so soon?

They have drafted poorly.  They draft down on first round draft picks often and pass over super stars.  They could have drafted Dez Bryant and Cordarrelle Patterson just to name a few.

Your logic about the Giants, can be applied to the Steelers, St Cardinals and Red Sox.  They have down years where they miss the playoffs and then go on championship runs.  And all those franchises have won more championships in 10 years than the Patriots have.

They have drafted poorly.  They draft down on first round draft picks often and pass over super stars.  They could have drafted Dez Bryant and Cordarrelle Patterson just to name a few.

Your logic about the Giants, can be applied to the Steelers, St Cardinals and Red Sox.  They have down years where they miss the playoffs and then go on championship runs.  And all those franchises have won more championships in 10 years than the Patriots have.

A poor draft would mean guys that never made the team. Dez Bryant is a bit of a head case.

This isn't an either or scenario though. The goal is to field a competitive team EVERY year which the Patriots do. As a fanbase that is all you can ask for. 

I like winning championships every couple years like the Giants, St Cardinals and Red Sox, not the Marlins.

And the Patriots aren't going to win any championship if they can't protect the QB and can't establish a pass rush.

And going 12-4 every year and losing in the post season and being happy with that means you're happy being a loser.  It's called "choking".

Red Sox absolutely stink this season, who cares?  They won the World Series last season and have shown they'll be back in it again next season or in 2 years.  I'm willing to live through a horrible season or two to regroup.  "Some" Pats fans prefer floundering and yes I said floundering every year with a team that isn't built for the post season with the false sense of hope that a 12-4 regular season record is great.

If you think winning a championship every few seasons is "normal" or is the bar your setting....good luck son. This isn't baseball...you can't buy all the best players like Red Sox and Yankees....and the Cardinals have spread out their championships but overall had plenty of post season dissappointment.....5 SBs in the last 10 yrs whether you win 1 or all 5 is pretty special....I think your spoiled...and I also think your being unreasonable. Can't imagine if your boss held you to the expectations that you hold the Pats too....likely you would be out of a job....even if you reach the pinnacle every few years if you have those bad years you may be out the first one...most would rather have sustained success...even if you aren't the best every year. Thats the mark of a dynasty (which is what you want correct?). You don't hear about NY being a dynasty...other than beating a perfect team they won't go down in history as the franchise of the decade....you will...because of great players and coaches....led by TOM BRADY and BILL BELICHEK....the very two you seem to want to run out of town. Trust me...you don't want to be on the hot seat every couple years like Tom Coughlin...he would trade that in for consistant excellence any day!! I'm sure Bill sleeps pretty well at night knowing his legacy will be that of SUSTAINED EXCELLENCE....not a flash in the pan.

I'm a Boston sports fan.

Some truth and some garbage to your post IMO. I do know that they are the only team that a 12-4 record without a SB is considered a failed season. Why they're held to a higher standard than the other 31 teams is anyone's guess. Envy? Unmatched prolonged success? Organizational excellence? Do you know why? 

No way man. There may be some, but "many fans" is hyperbole at best. 

You're trashing at team that's been in the last three AFC title games. That's won their division in 12 of the last 14 seasons. That's been in five Super Bowls since 2001. 

All on the basis of one game?

You think there's any possibility here that maybe you're overreacting a bit? 

Using the Giants as an example is extremely flawed. Do you think Coughlin and their front office say, "OK we're really gonna stink it up for a year or here, but maybe we'll go on another run and win a title at some point!" Of course they don't. They want to win every year. The goal of all NFL teams is consistency. The years they won, they won by getting hot at the right time, not by building a solid foundation of talent and a consistent team. They were never dominant. I respect the Giants a lot because they handed the Patriots their hats, twice, but I would not aspire for the Patriots to follow that model of success. 

Winning Super Bowls is very hard. You have to be great, and you have to have a little luck along the way. I don't know if you're a younger guy or if you started rooting for the Patriots since 2001, but they are on an unprecedented run of success in the NFL, even taking the pre-salary-cap era into account. The 49ers weren't good for this long. The Cowboys of the 90s weren't good for this long. 

Yet you're ready to run Belichick and Brady out of town after one loss?

That's cool, no disrespect for your opinion, but don't project that "many Patriots fans" feel the same way, because that's completely false. 

Some truth and some garbage to your post IMO. I do know that they are the only team that a 12-4 record without a SB is considered a failed season. Why they're held to a higher standard than the other 31 teams is anyone's guess. Envy? Unmatched prolonged success? Organizational excellence? Do you know why? 

The Pats are not the only team held to that standard. I don't agree with the standard, but it's not unique to your team. Sorry.

I will take 3 rings in four years over 2 rings in fours years. This isn't hard.

I'll take 2 legit rings over 3 where most people claim were won by cheating.  You're not taking spy gate into account.

Until the Pats win another super bowl the first 3 will always be looked at as cheaters.

And that's why I would take the Giants' 2 super bowl victories since 2007 instead of the Pats' 3 prior to 2007.  It has to do with spy gate, perception and reality.

I'll take 2 legit rings over 3 where most people claim were won by cheating.  You're not taking spy gate into account.

Until the Pats win another super bowl the first 3 will always be looked at as cheaters.

And that's why I would take the Giants' 2 super bowl victories since 2007 instead of the Pats' 3 prior to 2007.  It has to do with spy gate, perception and reality.

Oh man. Spygate? Really? Why let others color your perception? The Pats have more than proven that it was the biggest over blown sports story of the '00 decade.