Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Media making look like the Broncos are the Underdogs

bap1331

Slightly off topic, but not really in a way...Why does Roger Goodell frown on gambling, but everywhere you look fantasy football is symbolically betting on individual players stats to win & be king of your league? 

The NFL is family friendly & anti-gambling, but they advertise beer & condom commercials on TV & Vegas always calculates point spreads to determine who will play against each other in the SB. Huh? What? 

That like surrounding your kid with drugs & guns & then being surprised that they became an arms smuggler & drug lord instead of becoming a school teacher & a model citizen. I'm just saying.  

So gambling is being encouraged through the back door & yet Pete Rose is still banned from baseball forever for doing what most of us do anyway whether or not real money changes hands. Do as I say not as I do. Does that make any sense at all? No, it doesn't. In fact, it screams of hypocrisy if you ask me. JMO. 

Okay, it is true that not every fan plays fantasy football. I don't, but we all project which team is gonna beat another squad & the reason for it on offense, defense, or special teams. Even simulations are an indirect form of gambling just like flight simulators are a way to teach pilots how to fly aircraft without crashing billion dollar planes, choppers, or bombers; The brain doesn't really notice the difference between simulators & real flight after awhile just like hypothetical gambling gives your brain the same rush as doing gambling for real high stakes profit or debt loss. 

To your point why does he allow FanDuel and other one week fantasy promoters to advertise on NFL Network when they are quite literally promoting gambling on the players' performance and selling the pipe dream of how much money you can win.  (Of course they don't tell you how much money the real winners, the promoters, make from the vig)

Nah, I don't see the media making the Broncos underdogs.  

The Broncos are not the underdog in this one. Maybe some obscure media guy, or a homer is picking the Colts, but the mainstream people are going to favor the Broncos almost every week. The Broncos will be underdogs maybe once or twice this season.

The media will soon remember our secret weapon.

PatMacBigHit_zpsac2885b6.gif

If Macaffe is making tackles that is NOT a good thing! Especially if he is our secret weapon after PUNTS. Lets hope its after kick offs after scoring a lot of touchdowns. That said I'm not sure how many 5'8 sub 170 lb guys Denver has left...so lets leave the tackles to the big boys.

If Macaffe is making tackles that is NOT a good thing! Especially if he is our secret weapon after PUNTS. Lets hope its after kick offs after scoring a lot of touchdowns. That said I'm not sure how many 5'8 sub 170 lb guys Denver has left...so lets leave the tackles to the big boys.

i believe that is "tongue in cheek", get to know humor, it's meant to be funny, irony, ya dig? Your critique makes you seem unaware of the temperature, you're wearing a coat in Phoenix.

I think for the most part people are picking the Broncos..same reason they used to pick the Colts...Peyton...but for the most part I think people on here...hear what they want to hear. People always thinking we are being slighted or over-hyped...whatever the case I think we have had plenty of good publicity with Luck and EVERYONE has picked us to win our division and be in the playoffs...so I don't know what the beef is. I have heard a lot of concern about losing Welker and affecting that offense..but losing Mathis I think is a bigger deal to the game plan for us. Broncos are a favorite..after all they are the reigning AFC champions until someone dethrones them...and if we do...then WE will be the favorites.

i believe that is "tongue in cheek", get to know humor, it's meant to be funny, irony, ya dig? Your critique makes you seem unaware of the temperature, you're wearing a coat in Phoenix.

Obviously...that said I've seen that gif over and over and nothing in it is impressive to me....whenever a punter or kicker is making a tackle far down the field it is never a good thing for our special teams. Something more impressive to post imo would be the strip sack safety or the pressure we put on Manning...those would be more impressive if they are to repeat....not some random hit from a punter on the sidelines.

Perhaps I'm just not a Pat Macafe fan....for the most part he hasn't been that impressive for me...he often out kicked his coverage and wasn't especially skilled at pinning the defense deep...so maybe I'm just sick of seeing his "best" play as a tackle on a return guy 50 yds down field.

So you did not get the humor in the post? Or maybe did not get any enjoyment out of it? That's okay. It takes some longer than others.

Pat Mac. Mile High. Not sure how much clearer it could be. 

So you did not get the humor in the post? Or maybe did not get any enjoyment out of it? That's okay. It takes some longer than others.

Pat Mac. Mile High. Not sure how much clearer it could be. 

I understand...it wasn't funny to me....it was a bad play for us. I don't get particularly excited or happy or find joy in forcing a guy out of bounds after like a 60yd return....nothing good happened on that play for the Colts....credit Pat for making the play I guess it could have been a TD....but the result was the same...big play Broncos...great field position Peyton.

I understand...it wasn't funny to me....it was a bad play for us. I don't get particularly excited or happy or find joy in forcing a guy out of bounds after like a 60yd return....nothing good happened on that play for the Colts....credit Pat for making the play I guess it could have been a TD....but the result was the same...big play Broncos...great field position Peyton.

Not a bad play at all. It inspired the team. It is like making chicken salad out of chicken poop.

Positives out of negatives man.

Well after all that SW1 I guess your right I do know everyone (although it doesn't do me a bit of good) a plumber friend of mine invented the fantasy football board game. If only the saying were really true. It's not what you know but who you know. :(

Yeah, I know I get longwinded a lot Cs4. I didn't mean to come across as all knowing. I wasn't even criticizing you actually. It's just that your phrase about betting the house on a game got me to thinking how the NFL stance against gambling is just insanely laughable to me. Look, I get the notion behind not endorsing full blown gambling as far as referees are concerned who could affect the outcome of a game based on the amount of penalty flags they throw which would violate the integrity of the game. The NBA had it's own zebra gambling scandal awhile back too, but for the NFL to act like gambling is non-existant or any mention of it will spawn the devil & lead to massive greed & debauchery is just nuts. 

It's like that Casablanca famous film line: "There's gambling going on in this establishment? Outrageous. Here are your winnings sir. Oh thank you."

Now I ask you who's the bigger fool? The guy who bans or openly discourages gambling publicly or the the guy who denies that gambling using player stats increases the popularity of football & makes Roger Goodell an even wealthier man? Answer: Both, it's like 2 yellow flags that cancel each other out & nothing changes. 

All i hear is, "What can Peyton Manning do to beat the Colts?" "How will missing Wes Welker affect them?" blah blah...

Not one time do i hear them say Andrew Luck. What will Andrew Luck do? What does he need to do with preparing? What do the Colts need to do?

This is all on ESPN and NFL Network...

When Peyton was here, it was the same.......  everything was about Brady......  who cares then and now.  Maybe they aren't worried about Luck :)

it was kind of funny that NFL Network was going over the commercials and saying, "We will tell you how the Peyton Manning will break a couple of major records this year just not against the Colts tomorrow."

LOL! Finally getting that respect we deserve. LOL!