Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

moves I'd like to see the Colts make

maynard327

Here's my little pipe dream (but somewhat realistic) scenario for what I'd like to see the Colts do in the upcoming weeks.

#1- sign Manning (then we know what cap space we're working with)

#2- cut Ryan Diem (saves $5 million towards the cap)

#3- sign Harvey Dahl, OG from Atlanta (he's a monster run blocker with good pass blocking skills as well)

#4- sign Randy Moss to a cheap 1 year contract ($1-$2 million/year)

#5- resign Addai (if the price is right, which I think it will be)

#6- resign Charlie Johnson

#7- sign Vonte Leach, FB from Houston (he's seriously a monster blocker, the reason Foster has done so well)

#8- in a package deal, trade Anthony Gonzalez and Pierre Garcon to one of several teams in desperate need of WR depth (there are several teams that seriously have WR depth issues after lossing their WR in free agency) in exchange for a solid run stuffing DT (and possibly some depth at LB)

#9- restructure the contracts of Kelvin Hayden and Dwight Freeney to free up a bit more cap space

I think this scenario isn't all that unrealistic, as far as the numbers go. If we pulled it off, we'd have a serious running game, which would bring the play-action passing game back into the picture, which Randy Moss would capitalize off of while simultaneously stretching the field to open up the underneath patterns and open up the running game in return. I would have loved to have seen us pick up Mebane and/or Weddle and/or resign Session, but as long as we can find some kind of big body to help a little with the run defense at DT, we'll be fine. Manning is only gonna be able to shoulder the weight of this team for so long, so strengtening the run game will be a huge benefit in many ways, such as: saving Manning's arm which will lengthen his career, it'll open up the play action passing game, and we'll be the one's eating up clock so we won't have to worry as much about other teams running it down our throats.

Both Harvey Dahl and Vonte Leach are very attainable and would do loads of good for our running game. I'd really like to see us make an attempt to acquire them. As far as the WR situation, Garcon and Gonzalez are both in the last year of their contracts, so we'd have to figure out the future WR situation at the end of the year either way. Moss is only a one or two year solution, and Wayne is getting older too, so next off-season we'll have to address that, probably in the draft. With my scerario, we'd have Wayne, Moss, Collie, White, and Gilbreath, which I think is an awesome lineup at the position.

I'd like your feedback as well as your 'pipe dream scenarios', thanks.

Theres no way Randy Moss is going to take 1-2 mill a year. Look more around 4-5 a year.

I think he will. There aren't alot of teams fighting over him, and he wants to play for a team with a legit shot at winning a super bowl, so I don't think it's entirely unrealistic. If he does demand in the $5 mil/year range, simply put, we definitely won't be signing him. But I don't think anybody is gonna want to pay him that much, unless on of the teams (Cincy, Tampa, Chicago) that are 10s of millions under the cap just sign him to get up to the cap minimum.

That being said, even if we don't get Moss, that's okay. What I really want is Dahl and Leach! And CJ resigned... The running game is key to our success now and in the future. Look at Elway in the twilight of his career. The Broncos running game won those two super bowls for him and allowed him to play as long as he did. I'd really like to see the same for Peyton!

I give a big :thmdown: for your title of the thread. Shouldn't this be titled something like "Here is my idea for the Colts."

I got confused when I saw Vonte Leach's name and thinking about we do not use that type of guy in the offense.

I vote that all purposely misleading threads should be deleted by the mods. There was one yesterday about pats signing Addai. I know it was just a joke, but there's no need for this kind of thing.

I give a big :thmdown: for your title of the thread. Shouldn't this be titled something like "Here is my idea for the Colts."

I got confused when I saw Vonte Leach's name and thinking about we do not use that type of guy in the offense.

I vote that all purposely misleading threads should be deleted by the mods. There was one yesterday about pats signing Addai. I know it was just a joke, but there's no need for this kind of thing.

1. We don't use a fullback, so Leach will not fit our system

2. The Colts will not sign any big names in free agency, let alone another offensive lineman. We got our new linemen in the draft.

3. Gonzo and Garcon aren't going anywhere. Especially with a fire lit under Gonzo's behind this year (contract year and he's proved essentially nothing with his injuries). His reward is definitely better than his risk. Keep the receivers in contract years.

4. We need to sign both Johnsons

5. I doubt Hayden will restructure his contract, let alone Freeney.

6. Diem should be cut, but I don't know if he will be.

7. STOP WITH THE MISLEADING TITLES PLEASE.

Why would we need Vonta Leach, he's a fullback and the Colts rarely use one. If we ever do use one, which is almost never, then it's Brody Eldridge or Jacob Tamme. It would be a waste of money to sign Leach.

Seconded. Misleading thread titles tick me off.

Its that time of year when "everyman" Joe Blow thinks he's a GM.

Here's my little pipe dream (but somewhat realistic) scenario for what I'd like to see the Colts do in the upcoming weeks.

#1- sign Manning (then we know what cap space we're working with)

#2- cut Ryan Diem (saves $5 million towards the cap)

#3- sign Harvey Dahl, OG from Atlanta (he's a monster run blocker with good pass blocking skills as well)

#4- sign Randy Moss to a cheap 1 year contract ($1-$2 million/year)

#5- resign Addai (if the price is right, which I think it will be)

#6- resign Charlie Johnson

#7- sign Vonte Leach, FB from Houston (he's seriously a monster blocker, the reason Foster has done so well)

#8- in a package deal, trade Anthony Gonzalez and Pierre Garcon to one of several teams in desperate need of WR depth (there are several teams that seriously have WR depth issues after lossing their WR in free agency) in exchange for a solid run stuffing DT (and possibly some depth at LB)

#9- restructure the contracts of Kelvin Hayden and Dwight Freeney to free up a bit more cap space

#1, 2, 5, 6 - Agree

#3 - Can't happen now

#4 - Only if he is willing to take $1-2 mil per year. I know there isn't a ton of interest for him, but he could probably get more than that elsewhere

#7 - Our offense doesn't use a FB very much, Leach would be wasting his talents here

#8 - Trade away Gonzo (tons of potential, low cap hit) and Garcon (tons of potential, should only be improving, knows the offensive system), giving up WR depth, for a run stuffing DT? Not something I would like to see. We would be giving up too much

I agree, the title of this thread was unnecessarily misleading.

Okay, okay, sorry about the misleading title. I promise I won't do that anymore, I was just trying to get people's attention so they'd read the thread and respond. I understand why it ticked some people off and thusly won't do it anymore. You guys are all Colts fans too and I don't want to tick you all off. Thanks to those of you that gave your feedback!