Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Revis News

dw49

Revis news

Proof that having a mediocre year where you do nothing in Tampa automatically makes you a top 3 defensive player once you go to the Patriots, cause everyone that goes to New England is great again.

Cannot wait to see them go 14-2 with that cake walk schedule and then his blown coverage in the playoffs cost them a game against the Jets or some other wild card team that no one expects to win.

New England's defense has been ranked 26th or lower in the past 4 seasons. I don't care if Revis is Rod Woodson reincarnated, that defense needs serious adjustments, has been in dire needs of improvement for years now. One guy isn't going to fix all of that, the Bucs tried that and you see how it worked for them with Revis. Luckily, when you get one of the weakest schedules in the league every year (despite winning the division which is also a joke outside of the Jets who play NE like it's their Super Bowl) you can win 12+ games every year.

He graded out as the second best CB last year.

The Pats defense has been in the top 10 in points allowed since 2006 with the exception of 2011 when they were 15.

Pats have made serious adjustments this past off-season to their D signing Revis, Browner and resigning Wilfork and will have a healthy Mayo in the middle.

Pats have not had a cake walk schedule. Last year the East was the second best division in the AFC behind the West.

I don't think Revis is better than Richard Sherman. In New York? For sure, but he didn't play quite that well in Tampa Bay, and while yes, he is a for sure top 5 corner regardless, I think you can make arguments for players such as Joe Haden, Patrick Peterson, and Vontae Davis matched or came close the level of play Revis had in Tampa when all were healthy. I am just not going to assume New York Revis is a sure thing to come back especially after a torn ACL. 

And yes, Davis had a hamstring issue 2 years ago, and that may be what kept him out of a few TC practices? Not sure if that was different, but he was fine and healthy for the most part this past season and he played great. Peterson and Sherman aren't worth that much more than what Vontae got on the open market imo. 

Revis plays man hence the term "Revis Island." Sherman gets more help. They are both great but Revis is the better all around corner.

I love Davis but he is not on the same level yet as Revis or Sherman.

Revis plays man hence the term "Revis Island." Sherman gets more help. They are both great but Revis is the better all around corner.

I love Davis but he is not on the same level yet as Revis or Sherman.

How does Sherman get more help? (I assume you mean schematically)

Yes, schematically. Also Sherman plays one side of the field and does not follow the best player all the time. I am not sure if that is also true of Revis but I believe he is put on the best player every game. Or does he play a side as well?

Yes, schematically. Also Sherman plays one side of the field and does not follow the best player all the time. I am not sure if that is also true of Revis but I believe he is put on the best player every game. Or does he play a side as well?

Revis plays both sides; he's always in the best WR. He used to be out in the slot to cover Welker when the Jets played the Patriots.

Apparently you haven't watched him in Indy, because he is much better here than he was in Miami and as far as corner skills and specifically 1 on 1, which is what he does the majority of the time, he is absolutely in the same category as them imo.

Never said I did see him play much in Indy. It wasn't meant as a slam on him. Regardless of my own personal exposure to his game, if he was in the elite group you listed, that would not be a mystery to anyone who follows the league. 

Sounds like real thorough research.

See above, Snarky Von Snarkerton.  ;)

Besides, aren't you agreeing with me? LOL...

He also has the best safety tandem in the NFL, hands down, playing behind him. Can't minimize the importance and impact of that. I love Sherman and would take him on the Patriots in a heartbeat, but objectively would take Peterson ahead of him. We'll see where Revis stands after the 2014 season. 

Never said I did see him play much in Indy. It wasn't meant as a slam on him. Regardless of my own personal exposure to his game, if he was in the elite group you listed, that would not be a mystery to anyone who follows the league.

See above, Snarky Von Snarkerton. ;)

Look at any stat you want, Vontae is a top tier corner

He also has the best safety tandem in the NFL, hands down, playing behind him. Can't minimize the importance and impact of that. I love Sherman and would take him on the Patriots in a heartbeat, but objectively would take Peterson ahead of him. We'll see where Revis stands after the 2014 season. 

Good points. I would take Revis over everyone.

See above, Snarky Von Snarkerton. ;)

No, he's better than Haden and Peterdon.

While I understand your stance, I must agree Sherman by far has the most help of any corner in the NFL.  He has an amazing tandem of Safeties that literally make him able to do no wrong.  Thomas and Chance cover up so much field and have the ability to mask so many mistakes that the corners in the Seahawks system will always be inflated.  While I do believe Sherman is talented, I also believe that he heavily benefits from the range, cover skills, and field awareness of Thomas and the short passing recognition of Chance.  

Seattle is heaven for Defensive Backs.

You'd take Peterson over Sherman? Lol

This isn't a fair comparison.  Talent alone I would say Peterson is above Sherman, but in their current defenses Sherman definitely fits in his defense and performs at a higher level than Peterson.  On a neutral team?  I'm not so sure in fact it might be much more even than most would think.

This isn't a fair comparison. Talent alone I would say Peterson is above Sherman, but in their current defenses Sherman definitely fits in his defense and performs at a higher level than Peterson. On a neutral team? I'm not so sure in fact it might be much more even than most would think.

The only thing Peterson is better than Sherman at is being overrated.

The only thing Peterson is better than Sherman at is being overrated.

So I can understand your viewpoint instead of just throwing remarks in.  In what way is Peterson overrated?  From my knowledge he really isn't even talked about... not since he was drafted, and EVEN when he was drafted they said he didn't belong in the NFL as a corner only a safety.  So in what way could he possibly be overrated, unless of course I'm missing the praise for him being the #1 DB in the game.  Which he isn't, but other than himself (like everyone in the NFL) I don't think anyone shares that sentiment.

So I can understand your viewpoint instead of just throwing remarks in. In what way is Peterson overrated? From my knowledge he really isn't even talked about... not since he was drafted, and EVEN when he was drafted they said he didn't belong in the NFL as a corner only a safety. So in what way could he possibly be overrated, unless of course I'm missing the praise for him being the #1 DB in the game. Which he isn't, but other than himself (like everyone in the NFL) I don't think anyone shares that sentiment.

Yes, you are missing it. People talk about him all the time like he's a top 2-3 corner. I mean, he's the highest paid DB in league history.

He was also highly regarded as the best CB prospect ever. I have no idea where you are getting that safety talk.

Look at any stat you want, Vontae is a top tier corner

No, he's better than Haden and Peterdon.

You guys are talking about this like it's some form of arithmetic. 

Any "best player" list is derived from both objective and subjective factors. Metrics are great but if they were all you needed then we'd all have the same answers. 

You guys are talking about this like it's some form of arithmetic.

Any "best player" list is derived from both objective and subjective factors. Metrics are great but if they were all you needed then we'd all have the same answers.

Let's be real here. You've probably seen maybe 4 games (if even that many) combined of Haden/Peterson/Davis over the past 2 seasons. And even then you're probably not watching the all-22 footage to see how they are actually performing (almost impossible to know how good a CB is playing from normal game footage). If we take out the metrics part of a "best players" list, then your "subjective factors" are just based on other people's opinions and/or miniscule gameplay you've seen.

Let's be real here. You've probably seen maybe 4 games (if even that many) combined of Haden/Peterson/Davis over the past 2 seasons. And even then you're probably not watching the all-22 footage to see how they are actually performing (almost impossible to know how good a CB is playing from normal game footage). If we take out the metrics part of a "best players" list, then your "subjective factors" are just based on other people's opinions and/or miniscule gameplay you've seen.

None of us here are football experts and I highly doubt any of us could watch the all-22 footage and accurately diagnose a players skill set especially when compared to other players. That being said, the eye test has merit even if applied by amateurs. 

None of us here are football experts and I highly doubt any of us could watch the all-22 footage and accurately diagnose a players skill set especially when compared to other players. That being said, the eye test has merit even if applied by amateurs.

Sure, but cornerback isn't a position you can really give the eye-test for. Especially on regular game footage when you can't even see them.

Are you watching the all-22 film from every NFL game every week? 

Your points are all good ones but as fans of the sport we all evaluate based in large part on other people's opinions and/or other people's work compiling information. 

I'm not trying to present my opinion as fact. It doesn't matter if you agree with me. It's an opinion. 

Are you watching the all-22 film from every NFL game every week? 

Your points are all good ones but as fans of the sport we all evaluate based in large part on other people's opinions and/or other people's work compiling information. 

I'm not trying to present my opinion as fact. It doesn't matter if you agree with me. It's an opinion. 

My only point is you said Vontae isn't a top tier corner because he wasn't in Miami. Well ever since coming here to a more stable lockerroom and team he has been great so far, and he imo, has been a steal to get him for a 2nd rounder and a 6th from Miami. I just think you should do a little more research before making that type of a claim, jmo. 

No, and that's my point. We don't even see DBs on the field. There's no way to properly use an "eye-test" for them.

Fair point again. Question for you though. You wrote earlier:

"The only thing Peterson is better than Sherman at is being overrated."

Given what you're saying now, that means you're basing that statement on metrics. Right? 

My only point is you said Vontae isn't a top tier corner because he wasn't in Miami. Well ever since coming here to a more stable lockerroom and team he has been great so far, and he imo, has been a steal to get him for a 2nd rounder and a 6th from Miami. I just think you should do a little more research before making that type of a claim, jmo. 

OK, cool. I think this has already gotten out of hand, lol... I never said the guy wasn't any good. I just said, in my opinion, one fan's opinion, that I would not put him in the top four or five CBs league-wide.

And yes, there is some research behind that, but again... it's an opinion.  ;)

Fair point again. Question for you though. You wrote earlier:

"The only thing Peterson is better than Sherman at is being overrated."

Given what you're saying now, that means you're basing that statement on metrics. Right?

OK, cool. I think this has already gotten out of hand, lol... I never said the guy wasn't any good. I just said, in my opinion, one fan's opinion, that I would not put him in the top four or five CBs league-wide.

And yes, there is some research behind that, but again... it's an opinion. ;)

I think that thread on spygate is coming to haunt you. You raving about how my opinion was uninformed and not to be taken seriously, when u were in fact dead wrong no matter the degree. It us hard for people to take what you say seriously because it seems you're just giving an uninformed or highly biased opinion. This is just my opinion and observations is all

I think that thread on spygate is coming to haunt you. You raving about how my opinion was uninformed and not to be taken seriously, when u were in fact dead wrong no matter the degree. It us hard for people to take what you say seriously because it seems you're just giving an uninformed or highly biased opinion. This is just my opinion and observations is all

Says the guy who knows nothing about the FACTS of Spygate.

Says the guy who said that the tapes were used during the game, when it's been proven that Walsh handed the tapes over AFTER the games.

Yeah, YOU lack credibility.

Says the guy who said that the tapes were used during the game, when it's been proven that Walsh handed the tapes over AFTER the games.

Actually, there is no proof if they were used in game or not

You probably didn't say that when he was on the pats lol. I'll bet then Talib was the 2nd coming if Deion sanders

I liked Talib a lot but he was too injured and not as good as Revis by any stretch. I wanted to the Pats to resign Talib before I knew Revis was even a possibility but I am glad they did not pay him what Denver did.

GoPats is one of the more informed posters on this forum - Pats fan or not. You should really just spend some time reading the threads before posting/attacking.

Revis is one of the best if NFL even when playing in a scheme that didn't utilize his skill set he was still a statistically on par with the best in the NFL . His only knock is smaller fast WR's tend to burn him . If the Pats use him correctly he can pretty much take away a teams best WR .

You went on and on about how the link I sent of the tapes was what was alleged to have by Walsh when in fact it was a list of the tapes the nfl had ALREADY received including in game footage and offensive signals which you and gopats called me ignorant for saying they had them.... When u couldn't be more wrong, just deny the truth straight up!

GoPats is one of the more informed posters on this forum - Pats fan or not. You should really just spend some time reading the threads before posting/attacking.

I do and I was talking about a specific set of info I was called out for sharing and when I presented factual evidence that shown I was right I received backpedaling and outright denial from viri and gopats after I was the one being called out for uninformed. Talk about eating crow.

K no more thread hijacking moving on ...

I do and I was talking about a specific set of info I was called out for sharing and when I presented factual evidence that shown I was right I received backpedaling and outright denial from viri and gopats after I was the one being called out for uninformed. Talk about eating crow.

K no more thread hijacking moving on ...

You realize this is a forum, right? Not a court of law. People have opinions, share them, are often right and wrong. The Pats fans on this forum have a wealth of info on spygate given it was their team and they lived through it. Just like Colts fans have a ton on the Irsay/Manning split. Both fanbases tend to color their opinions based on their team and there is nothing wrong with that. The way you correct/respond to someone can make all the difference.

Talk about a thread hijack...

Alright let's just deal with this and be done with it. 

Obviously you've been chomping at the bit to try to embarrass me and "put me in my place." You made that pretty clear in the (borderline creepy) private message you sent to me and a couple others. 

So here you go, Jiggy: You were correct, and I was incorrect. The Patriots had one tape with offensive signals on it from a 2001 game against the Dolphins. One tape. Technically that makes you correct, and me incorrect. It's not exactly what you said (you clearly implied that the Patriots made a regular practice of this, when that would be impossible because offenses don't signal in plays unless radios aren't working), but we'll just look past that and say it's exactly how you called it. K? 

So congratulations to you and Wikipedia. 

One more thing... I'll always stand behind the reputation I've earned on this board. I'm not always right, no one is. But you want to call me out in a completely unrelated thread just to try to embarrass me? Sorry Jiggy, but all you've really done here is embarrass yourself.