Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Indianapolis at NY Jets (8-7-14)

oldunclemark

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you rewatch the game cause I'd probably do the gaming console package. I know I'll be at work most of the games so can you rewatch them or do you have to be there live to see it?

Not sure with the console, but last year on the digital package i could watch the short cuts on Monday. which is the shortened versions of the game.

Vick is what he is which is still waaay better than Smith. Ryan has to start him week 1 but I have a feeling he won't.

Not sure what to make of game 1. Some good things, some bad just wished we avoided the injuries.

GM John Idzic and Rex want Smith to start and will give him every opportunity to be the starter. Smith will have to do very poorly in camp or sustain an injury for Vick to start Game 1. Reports from Jets beat writers are that Smith is doing well in camp.

GM John Idzic and Rex want Smith to start and will give him every opportunity to be the starter. Smith will have to do very poorly in camp or sustain an injury for Vick to start Game 1. Reports from Jets beat writers are that Smith is doing well in camp.

It did not look that way last night. Honestly, if you are going to pay Vick 5 mil to be on your roster, you play him. Smith is a second year player and after his rookie season, he could use a year of sitting on the bench and watching and learning from Vick.

It did not look that way last night. Honestly, if you are going to pay Vick 5 mil to be on your roster, you play him. Smith is a second year player and after his rookie season, he could use a year of sitting on the bench and watching and learning from Vick.

Please clarify your first sentence. What "did not look that way last night"?

I was reporting what I am hearing from beat reporters and local sports writers. They believe the GM and Rex want Smith to start. That does not mean it is guaranteed that Vick will not start.

Please clarify your first sentence. What "did not look that way last night"?

I was reporting what I am hearing from beat reporters and local sports writers. They believe the GM and Rex want Smith to start. That does not mean it is guaranteed that Vick will not start.

Smith did not look that great while Vick in his only series led the team on a long TD drive that won the game.

I know the Jets want Smith to start. That has been their mantra ever since they signed Vick. My point was they are paying Vick $5 mil and he is the much better QB right now and would be beneficial for Smith to sit this season and learn behind Vick.

Smith did not look that great while Vick in his only series led the team on a long TD drive that won the game.

I know the Jets want Smith to start. That has been their mantra ever since they signed Vick. My point was they are paying Vick $5 mil and he is the much better QB right now and would be beneficial for Smith to sit this season and learn behind Vick.

Vick's drive tied the game at 10-10. I am pretty sure he played more than one series but he was 3 of 6 for 17 yards. That was not great and he was playing against the Colts' 2nd team defense, I believe. Smith was not that much better at 4 for 6 for 33 yards. I know that stats do not tell the whole story, but I don't believe that Vick is so much better than Smith that the Jets have to sacrifice a year of playing time for Smith. Vick is not in their future plans. JMO. I feel the same way about the Vikings QB situation.

Let's agree to disagree.

Vick's drive tied the game at 10-10. I am pretty sure he played more than one series but he was 3 of 6 for 17 yards. That was not great and he was playing against the Colts' 2nd team defense, I believe. Smith was not that much better at 4 for 6 for 33 yards. I know that stats do not tell the whole story, but I don't believe that Vick is so much better than Smith that the Jets have to sacrifice a year of playing time for Smith. Vick is not in their future plans. JMO. I feel the same way about the Vikings QB situation.

Let's agree to disagree.

Anyone that thinks Smith will start over Vick is fooling themselves. Smith won't start until Vick gets hurt, which as we know, is inevitable. 

Wow Greg Buttle was annoying on NFL network... Glad I watched the local channel! Jeeesh

Ah I cant stand the local commentators, They have graphics glitches often, Listening to Don Fischer call a Colts game is just painful to listen to, The team don't announce any lineup changes as they occur, The cameras are consistently late from 1 play to the next, For a QB that was in the NFL Jim Sorgi does a * poor job of breaking down plays, NFL Network is so much better, I recorded both the NFL Network coverage and Don Fischer and Jim Sorgi as back up but promptly deleted Fischer and Sorgi for the NFL Network coverage, No to mention I like how the NFL Network don't really sugar coat things when calling games like our broadcast team does

Ah I cant stand the local commentators, They have graphics glitches often, Listening to Don Fischer call a Colts game is just painful to listen to, The team don't announce any lineup changes as they occur, The cameras are consistently late from 1 play to the next, For a QB that was in the NFL Jim Sorgi does a * poor job of breaking down plays, NFL Network is so much better, I recorded both the NFL Network coverage and Don Fischer and Jim Sorgi as back up but promptly deleted Fischer and Sorgi for the NFL Network coverage, No to mention I like how the NFL Network don't really sugar coat things when calling games like our broadcast team does

Ohhhh trust me... I'm not saying local is good by any means!! haha it was not!!! The glitches/poor quality is easily noticed!! I just couldn't stand Buttle... The whole game down playing Colts and talking about his precious Jets and how good they were doing. It was obvious. I couldn't take it. Every comment. Onviously the NFL has better quality coverage and such but the local channels talk positive the whole game and I need that in the preseason! ;) haha I like to watch the game for myself for the most part. Don't pay to much attention to the commentators anyway unless they are being annoying.. Then it's hard not to! Ha

Let's agree to disagree.

Just from watching the game you can see Vick as a grizzled vet is much more comfortable running the Jets offense than Smith. There is a reason why they are paying him $5 mil as the back up. They expect him to play and start. I think maybe they have just been stoking Smith ego's but as a second year player he can sit a season. Rodgers sat four seasons behind Favre and has always said how much that helped him improve his game. 

Just from watching the game you can see Vick as a grizzled vet is much more comfortable running the Jets offense than Smith. There is a reason why they are paying him $5 mil as the back up. They expect him to play and start. I think maybe they have just been stoking Smith ego's but as a second year player he can sit a season. Rodgers sat four seasons behind Favre and has always said how much that helped him improve his game.

I don't agree.. rodgers sat his fitst 3 seasons behind a team legend, but geno started his rookie year, those are completely diferent things..

Benching smith for vick now would esentially mean giving up on him as a high draft pick, it just doesn't make any sense..

I don't agree.. rodgers sat his fitst 3 seasons behind a team legend, but geno started his rookie year, those are completely diferent things..

Benching smith for vick now would esentially mean giving up on him as a high draft pick, it just doesn't make any sense..

But losing intentionally because you twisted your mind into playing your second best QB is scfreamin (not essentially saying) its all about our pride as management..not about our won-loss record.. If you play Smith,. you're just hoping his luck changes,.

Luck is not a plan unless its Andrew Luck./

Vick is what..10 years older than Geno?....Playing Vick does NOT mean you're giving up on Geno. He's just not ready.

let him watch.

When did we start playing QBs who aren't ready for the NFL because we drafted them high?

But losing intentionally because you twisted your mind into playing your second best QB is screaming (not essentially saying) its all about our pride as management..not about our won-loss record.. If you play Geno,. you're just hoping his luck changes,.

Vick is what..10 years older than Geno?....Playing Vick does NOT mean you're giving up on Geno. He's just not ready.

Let him watch....and learn.

When did we start playing QBs who aren't ready for the NFL because we drafted them high?

Must be the 'Sanchez rule'

But losing intentionally because you twisted your mind into playing your second best QB is scfreamin (not essentially saying) its all about our pride as management..not about our won-loss record.. If you play Smith,. you're just hoping his luck changes,.

let him watch.

Lol

When did we start playing qbs who aren't ready for the nfl because we drafted them high??

Have you not been watching nfl lately? (Gabbert, locker, ponder, manuel, geno, to name few..)

And i bet same thing happens this year..

Why? He started his rookie year because Sanchez got hurt in the preseason. He would have sat if not for injury and the Jets struggled mightily with him as QB. If the Jets really believed in him then they would have never paid $5mil for Vick. Having him sit one season will not damage him. if it does, then he was probably not cut out for the NFL anyways.

Why? He started his rookie year because Sanchez got hurt in the preseason. He would have sat if not for injury and the Jets struggled mightily with him as QB. If the Jets really believed in him then they would have never paid $5mil for Vick. Having him sit one season will not damage him. if it does, then he was probably not cut out for the NFL anyways.

Paying vick 5mil doesn't mean they don't believe in geno, or that vick is going to start..

Heck, hasselbeck is getting 3.6mil, does thst mean the colts don't believe in andrew?

They brought vick to push smith, not to start..

But i'll finish this debate by saying that is my opinion, since i'm not changing yours, nor you are mine ;)

Did you watch every Jets game last year? You have to see the games to get a feel for how someone is playing. Stats do not paint the full picture. He played very poorly in some games and played well in others, but that is true of most rookies. You say they struggled with him? No one expected the Jets to win more than 5-6 games last year and many thought Rex would be fired. The Jets were 6-10 the year before with Sanchez and 8-8 last year with Smith. The record improved while they had no reliable offensive weapons. Their best players on offense were Jeff Cumberland and Bilal Powell. (Santonio Holmes was a no-show as usual.)

Yes, if Smith looks awful this preseason, Vick will start; otherwise, Smith will. I did not see the game against the Colts but it does not sound like Smith played as poorly as you described. If he did, Jets fans in NY would surely be clamoring to have Vick named the starter.

You will remember that Seattle had signed Matt Flynn to lots of money (like Vick) but Russell Wilson was named the starter. Jets GM John Idzik was working for the Seahawks then. He won't let Vick's salary deter him from making what he believes is the best decision for the team.

Did you watch every Jets game last year? You have to see the games to get a feel for how someone is playing. Stats do not paint the full picture. He played very poorly in some games and played well in others, but that is true of most rookies. You say they struggled with him? No one expected the Jets to win more than 5-6 games last year and many thought Rex would be fired. The Jets were 6-10 the year before with Sanchez and 8-8 last year with Smith. The record improved while they had no reliable offensive weapons. Their best players on offense were Jeff Cumberland and Bilal Powell. (Santonio Holmes was a no-show as usual.)

Yes, if Smith looks awful this preseason, Vick will start; otherwise, Smith will. I did not see the game against the Colts but it does not sound like Smith played as poorly as you described. If he did, Jets fans in NY would surely be clamoring to have Vick named the starter.

You will remember that Seattle had signed Matt Flynn to lots of money (like Vick) but Russell Wilson was named the starter. Jets GM John Idzik was working for the Seahawks then. He won't let Vick's salary deter him from making what he believes is the best decision for the team.

Good points. I am not sure if Smith has done anything to plant himself as the starter. The word out of TC is that VIck was MUCH better at running the O. I guess we will see how it plays out but I am not sure if I have a lot of confidence in Rex and co. to make the right decision given the Tebow debacle and his unwavering support of Sanchez who was awful.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone that thinks Smith will start over Vick is fooling themselves. Smith won't start until Vick gets hurt, which as we know, is inevitable.

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=11395999

Quote:

"After months of speculation, the New York Jets finally made it official, announcing Friday what everyone expected: Geno Smith will be their Week 1 starter.

Smith was the choice over Michael Vick, ending a competition that never really was an open competition. Vick admitted as much throughout the spring, saying he expected Smith to get the job."

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=11395999

Quote:

"After months of speculation, the New York Jets finally made it official, announcing Friday what everyone expected: Geno Smith will be their Week 1 starter.

Smith was the choice over Michael Vick, ending a competition that never really was an open competition. Vick admitted as much throughout the spring, saying he expected Smith to get the job."

I guess my prediction was off. It appears I am the fool. I could try to cover my rear by proclaiming Smith won't be starting by week 6, but I'll just stop now.