Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Forget Luck, We Need Cahlil

For all you shouting for Luck, how do you think he would do getting massacred behind that same o-line Painter is throwing behind?

Look if Peyton doesn't come back, and we may need to start over. But let me ask you....what team ever drafts a QB with no help and is successful?

So with the no. 1 overall pick, we should set-up a future QB for success. Everybody knows a QBs best friend is a franchise LT. Look what Long has done with Miami. You guys want our next QB to just get killed and land on IR right away? Didn't think so.

Cahlil is a prospect on par with Luck anyway. heck, some teams that want the no. 1 spot might even want it for him. So take Cahlil or maybe a WR to replace Wayne and draft a QB in the later rounds to groom.

They got two tackles with 1st and 2nd last year. Both of them have been injured but both played well when healthy. The Oline is missing a guard. They might as well grab a natural guard in the 2nd or later and have the same improvement on the line with a lot less shuffling. Plus they would still get a first rounder to use on D, which is whats necessary right now.

I like the idea of a trade down, if that is with Miami and the Colts cannot go any further back, I like the idea of drafting "Kalil" with a K by the way. Kalil moved Tyron Smith to RT from his first day arriving at USC, if you remember Tyron Smith, was the number one ranked tackle in last years draft who Dallas took 10th overall. I like the pick of Kalil to solidify the line to protect Manning, which has to be the number one priority when he comes back next year! Or the selection of Blackmon or Trent Richardson at pick two would also be good choices.

Kalil is a tremendous talent, but the Colts' chances of winning does not improve by drafting Kalil.

The Colts got two tackles in 2011, and Castonzo has done well when healthy. He will develop during this season and over the course of next years OTAs and training camp and be a quality blind side protector.

The Colts should definitely add an OG in the 2nd or 3rd round. That will improve the line, and we do not "waste" a top pick on a tackle - a position where the Colts already has talented players. Keep playing Castonzo at LT, Ijalana will eventually start at RT next season, and add a natural OG in the draft. No shuffling around, but a better O-line.

For all you shouting for Luck, how do you think he would do getting massacred behind that same o-line Painter is throwing behind?

Look if Peyton doesn't come back, and we may need to start over. But let me ask you....what team ever drafts a QB with no help and is successful?

So with the no. 1 overall pick, we should set-up a future QB for success. Everybody knows a QBs best friend is a franchise LT. Look what Long has done with Miami. You guys want our next QB to just get killed and land on IR right away? Didn't think so.

Cahlil is a prospect on par with Luck anyway. heck, some teams that want the no. 1 spot might even want it for him. So take Cahlil or maybe a WR to replace Wayne and draft a QB in the later rounds to groom.

Can't we draft Luck and then use our remaining picks to address other issues like our defense and O-line? We will have Luck for 10-15 years, which gives us plenty of time to address the O-line, if you like.

If we know that Peyton can play, that might change our draft philosophy. If he can't then we have to address the QB positon.

Let's say we solidify our O-line instead of drafting Luck and we have a solid team, except for we don't have a ligitimate Super Bowl caliber QB. Wouldn't we be similar to the jets, or the Ravens? Is that what you want your team to be like?

I'd rather take a shot at drafting the best QB prospect from this years crop of QB's and move forward knowing that we have made an educated guess to draft a good prospect to address the most important position on the field, and continue being more like the Colts than the Jets or Ravens.

That is the argument of everyone who is opposed to the Kalil idea, and I get it. But, when Peyton Manning is back next year, which I fully expect, the priority has got to be to give him the most time and protect him. If the Colts cannot find a trade partner excluding the trading of the #1 pick to say Miami for Luck, in that #2 slot, I think Kalil is the best talent, and you can't reach on a player because he fills a need persay, I would like Castonzo better at RT and Ijalana inside at LG, and Osemele as a second round pick to play RG, that would be a serious youthful O-line for years to come! If not Kalil at #2 then who? Barkley, Richardson, Blackmon?

MIami? rotfl

Look.... Matt Kalil is an excellent LT prospect and I think he'll be a terrific NFL LT.

But unless and only if Andrew Luck stays in school and we have NO acceptable trade-down offers.... should we consider drafting Matt Kalil.

I can buy that he is the 2nd best NFL prospect overall.... but there's no way I'd pass over Luck for him.

Keep in mind that our Tackles are just rookies and ever improving, and our main need on the O-line is guard, not tackle, although we can move Ijalana to guard. It's my 2nd option to Calil, but as we've seen in the past, PM can still perform at a top line with a crap O-line.

Let me ask the Luck faithful this.. If Manning is back and healthy and has 3-5 more years of football left (which I fully expect), is it better to draft another Tackle who is projected as one of the top ten LT prospects to come out of College, and really solidfy the offensive line for years to come. Or is it better to take a QB (Luck) to sit under Manning for 3-5 years and have the QB position take a massive cap hit on our team? When we could trade the Luck pick and get a large bounty for him, and rebuild this team from the inside out. Since you rebuild a team inside out. That means fortify the offensive and defensive lines, two problem areas for the Colts in recent years.

Let me ask the Luck faithful this.. If Manning is back and healthy and has 3-5 more years of football left (which I fully expect), is it better to draft another Tackle who is projected as one of the top ten LT prospects to come out of College, and really solidfy the offensive line for years to come. Or is it better to take a QB (Luck) to sit under Manning for 3-5 years and have the QB position take a massive cap hit on our team? When we could trade the Luck pick and get a large bounty for him, and rebuild this team from the inside out. Since you rebuild a team inside out. That means fortify the offensive and defensive lines, two problem areas for the Colts in recent years.

If Manning comes back healthy, then I am all for winning now. I am not in the camp that says that we draft Luck no matter what. I am in the camp that says, given specific information, we make the best decision for the Colts. If Manning is healthy, then I am all for trading the first pick in the draft so that we can have a bounty of draft picks to address the teams needs in an effort to win a Super Bowl with Manning. I am hoping that if we take this approach, we also address the coaching and the defensive scheme.

@Flash- That is fair, and I am making my judgements assuming Manning will be back, and we won't know more information until closer to the draft of everyone who is going to come out and enter the draft, the draft order, the health of players, where some free agents will be, and most importantly the Health of Manning! But if Manning comes back healthy, IMO, you can't draft Luck. And that early in the draft, excluding Luck or Barkley, Kalil is the number one prospect, and thats who I would consider first before reaching on another player.... This is without a trade down of course...

Although I am a supporter of drafting Andrew Luck, I also do not think that he is the only guy that we need to take. If Miami is willing to give us a great offer to trade down to the #2 pick, then I think the Colts should consider it. Granted, it must be a truly GREAT offer, at the minimum being their #2 overall, then their 2nd, 3rd, 4th and future 1st-round picks. Or something close to that. If we do trade down to #2, taking Kalil would be a great boon for us.

Although we did draft Castonzo and Ijalana last season, we still need more youthful talent on that O-Line. Those 2 picks last season were just the start of our offensive line overhaul, not the end of it. I like the idea of moving Castonzo to RT and Ijalana to G, because that would mean that we have a beast at LT. Having Kalil, Castonzo and Ijalana anchoring our line for years to come would be a great move for the Colts.

But at the same time, I still prefer taking Luck over Kalil. It all depends on what kind of offer we get from a team like Miami.

@pables21- Yes! I am assuming Manning will be back and healthy and the Colts will be able to trade down at least with Miami if not someone else who has fallen in love with Luck and acquire a bounty of draft picks/players. If only being able to move down to #2 then with all the extra picks we have it would do the Colts and injustice not to take Kalil, a superb left tackle, one of the highest rated to come out in years! My idea is to take Kalil at #2 and then get a guard like Osemele in the second/third round or one even later, and the offensive line will be youthful and full of talent for years to come!

@BmoreColt- I am a supporter of acquiring a franchise LT, someone even better than Castonzo. Kalil would be great, but also... is there any way we can pry away Miami's #2 pick and LT Jake Long, along with extra draft picks? If so, then it would be a HUGE acquisition. I'm just a really big fan of Long, imagine him on the Colts!

Anyway, I do want to say that even if we happen to trade down and take Kalil, I think it would be foolish to use a 2nd or 3rd round pick on yet another offensive lineman. Not that it wouldn't help, as drafting an OG or C would pretty much cement our O-Line. But we have so many other needs, especially on defense, that I think those extra picks should be used on that side of the ball. Our secondary is the most pressing need of all on this team, and it would be extremely disappointing if we didn't address that need early on in the draft. Just my opinion tho

@pables21- Yes! I am assuming Manning will be back and healthy and the Colts will be able to trade down at least with Miami if not someone else who has fallen in love with Luck and acquire a bounty of draft picks/players. If only being able to move down to #2 then with all the extra picks we have it would do the Colts and injustice not to take Kalil, a superb left tackle, one of the highest rated to come out in years! My idea is to take Kalil at #2 and then get a guard like Osemele in the second/third round or one even later, and the offensive line will be youthful and full of talent for years to come!

I dont think we will need any more OL in this draft if we get Kalil. Getting kalil will solidify the LT, RT, and possibly both OG spots.

You guys both make very good points, if we could get LONG WOWWWWWW! Then we wouldn't need Kalil, in my if you were the GM thread, I said I would trade the pick to Miami for Vonte Davis and draft picks, so thats why I suggested Kalil with that #2 pick, but if it was Davis and Long or just Long, obviously Kalil wouldn't be necessary. But with a rookie QB I think they would want their prize young LT to protect him, so my suggestion was Vonte Davis and picks, then take Kalil! You guys should do my if you were the GM thread, im curious now what you guys would do!