Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Training Camp News

PrincetonTiger

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to ESPN Marcel Dareus flunked the Bills conditioning test

Conditioning test. . . that's not the same as a physical right?  Sounds to me to be more or less a test to see if you are in football shape and not so much if you are medically cleared to play.

Conditioning test. . . that's not the same as a physical right?  Sounds to me to be more or less a test to see if you are in football shape and not so much if you are medically cleared to play.

If you don't pass you can't practice

MD will have to wait to Thursday to try again

Not passing a CT can be problematic in you are in a position battle

As I understand it, a physical is tests more than just conditioning.  It will test strength, flexibility, etc.

As I understand it, a physical is tests more than just conditioning.  It will test strength, flexibility, etc.

Well I'm just curious as to how the physical and the conditioning test relate.  A physical I typically believe is done with a doctor, usually the team doctor.  

Does the doctor conduct the conditioning test or is it just one of those first things they do when they get to camp?

Well I'm just curious as to how the physical and the conditioning test relate.  A physical I typically believe is done with a doctor, usually the team doctor.  

Does the doctor conduct the conditioning test or is it just one of those first things they do when they get to camp?

CT is done as part of the TC check in process

This article seems to explain it well, discussing the Albert Haynesworth situation:

Since every other player on the team went to a sufficient number of off-season workouts, everyone was deemed fit enough to practice with the team, according to Fox Sports. No one had to take a conditioning test. That is, except for Haynesworth. Because Haynesworth did not show up to a single off-season workout. (Interesting....sounds like perhaps the coach can pick whoever he wishes to be tested based on if he thinks they have been doing enough during the offseason)

And this article explains it really well too:

When I played it was a 300-yard shuttle. In different combinations (some require six 50-yard sprints and others require twelve 25-yard sprints), they add up to 300 total yards.  Think of old-school gassers. Run, touch the line, and come back — over and over until you have run a total of 300 yards. Rest in between sets and get back on the line. The times are broken down into three position groups: skill (WR, DB, RB), semi-skill (LB, TE, QB) and linemen (OL, DL). Each group has a time they have to complete each set in.

In Green Bay under Mike Sherman, you ran three of them — with about a two minute rest in between. They are nasty. For the skill guys, the time limit was under 48 seconds. We ran the 300-yard shuttle — made up of six 50-yard sprints — took that small rest and got ready to do it again. By the end, your legs feel like Jell-O.

The author (former SS Matt Bowen) describes them more in the article and lists other coaches that approach it differently.

It seems like failing a physical is a bigger deal than failing a conditioning test

This article seems to explain it well, discussing the Albert Haynesworth situation:

And this article explains it really well too:

The author (former SS Matt Bowen) describes them more in the article and lists other coaches that approach it differently.

It seems like failing a physical is a bigger deal than failing a conditioning test

Failed Physicals can result in voided contracts while failed Conditioning tests result in being out of physical drills and/or team punishment

Failed Physicals can result in voided contracts while failed Conditioning tests result in being out of physical drills and/or team punishment

It sounds to me like a failed physical means that a doctor is saying that you can not play football.  And if a doctor says you can't play the NFL certainly isn't going to let you play.

Failed conditioning tests it sounds like basically it means you are out of shape and probably didn't do enough in the off season to stay in shape.  Probably not a good thing but it just means you need to get into shape.  Of course the bad part of that is that while you are busy getting into shape you are not busy practicing the sport of football during training camp.  

It sounds to me like a failed physical means that a doctor is saying that you can not play football.  And if a doctor says you can't play the NFL certainly isn't going to let you play.

Failed conditioning tests it sounds like basically it means you are out of shape and probably didn't do enough in the off season to stay in shape.  Probably not a good thing but it just means you need to get into shape.  Of course the bad part of that is that while you are busy getting into shape you are not busy practicing the sport of football during training camp.

NFL physicals are somewhat subjective there are instances every year where guys will sign a contract with a new team but fail the physical only to sign somewhere else and pass their physical

Not exactly training camp news, but Andre Johnson has been going to Texans HQ and learning the new offense that has been implemented. Good to hear.

I read that too earlier. I told you he would be a good soldier. Lol.

You might be surprised....

The NFL is wildly inconsistent on this....

It happens all the time that one team will flunk a player on their physical....   the guy goes to another team,  and that teams doctor clears him and he passes that teams physical and the player signs with that new team.   

That happens all the time.

And in the draft,  some teams will remove a guy from their draft board because their doctor doesn't like something in an x-ray or a report....    but another team thinks the player is fine to be drafted.

Different doctors for different teams often get different results....

One of the oddities of NFL life....

You might be surprised....

The NFL is wildly inconsistent on this....

It happens all the time that one team will flunk a player on their physical....   the guy goes to another team,  and that teams doctor clears him and he passes that teams physical and the player signs with that new team.   

That happens all the time.

And in the draft,  some teams will remove a guy from their draft board because their doctor doesn't like something in an x-ray or a report....    but another team thinks the player is fine to be drafted.

Different doctors for different teams often get different results....

One of the oddities of NFL life....

Very true